• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prices of first BluRay Players in Europe...and you think the PS3 is expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elios83

Aahaa that's ridicolous,how much for the Sony player? 2000€?
And it seems PS3 will be at least equal to those players in quality.

Surreal

I love watching Sony bring this balancing act together. Keep Blu-ray prices high so PS3 is a good deal, try to keep Blu-ray prices low enough for it to catch on. Make sure the PS3 won't overshadow their main money maker and push the PSP by offering PS3/PSP compatibility.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
dont even try, the ps3 is expensive for a videogame console, fanboy

antiloop

Samsung did say that after the PS3 release the price for their player will go down to about the same level as PS3.

PS3 FTW, it will make both Blu-ray discs and players cheaper to manufacture. ;)

VicAlpha said:
yct2ru4.gif

Well, PS3 is not just a videogame system...but I don't want to pay other than for that particular system...

Elios83

lancubap said:
As videogame system, it is VERY expensive.

But PS3 isn't just a videogame system and it's not fair to judge it as it was,it's far from it actually as you can use it as a network platform with Internet browsing,as a full specced HD movie player and even as a computer with Linux.

quetz67

Banned
VicAlpha said:
so what, I didnt say all those who are still 300 Euros short of a PS3 will magically get the money only because BluRay players are that expensive. Get a 360 and a HD-DVD later, I dont care, I'll get a PS3 as it is a cheap BluRay player for me.

Andy787

Banned
Surreal said:
I love watching Sony bring this balancing act together. Keep Blu-ray prices high so PS3 is a good deal, try to keep Blu-ray prices low enough for it to catch on.
Sony doesn't determine the price of other company's machines.

VicAlpha said:
shut up, fanboy

Elios83 said:
But PS3 isn't just a videogame system and it's not fair to judge it as it was,it's far from it actually as you can use it as a network platform with Internet browsing,as a full specced HD movie player and even as a computer with Linux.

It is for the kid getting one for his room with the non HD tv. What percentage of PS2's are sitting in some kids bedroom?

Elios83 said:

Is user-acessible, unrestrained Linux confirmed for launch? Not trolling, just curious.

Pimpbaa

Elios83 said:

I don't want a network platform, internet browsing, HD movie player, or a computer with linux. I just want a next gen playstation.

Andy787

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
I don't want a network platform, internet browsing, HD movie player, or a computer with linux. I just want a next gen playstation.
It's also a next gen PlayStation.

KINGMOKU

Elios83 said:
As a videogamer, how am I supposed to judge it then?

I could care less about anything other then the fact that it plays videogames. Blu-ray, whatever. Means squat to me, and a huge portion of people who boughtthe PS1/PS2.

They/me see 600$ and nearly faint, seeing as how its a toy. I wish they would release a 300$ version somehow, but I understand cost's. Sony will have to understand then that I wont be getting one. Sucks for me, sucks for them.

llTll

Banned
Surreal said:
I love watching Sony bring this balancing act together. Keep Blu-ray prices high so PS3 is a good deal, try to keep Blu-ray prices low enough for it to catch on. Make sure the PS3 won't overshadow their main money maker and push the PSP by offering PS3/PSP compatibility.

while they dont decide how much the blue ray for other 3rd party going to cost, but what you said is kinda true. thats why they are the best in the marketing.

the fact is the blue ray player out there is top od line force the 3rd party to raise the price. and the one inside is not as good as the more expensive players, but they still do the trick of playing Blue ray movies in HD. with some money losing on every ps3, they will gain it later on with the bigger install base of not only playstation users [ more games ], but also with the install base of blue ray player [ more money to them as well ]

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I love that PS3 isn't a game console anymore. It's like IBM making a dedicated videogame console and calling it the I.B.M. P.C. 2

antiloop said:
Samsung did say that after the PS3 release the price for their player will go down to about the same level as PS3.

PS3 FTW, it will make both Blu-ray discs and players cheaper to manufacture. ;)
Yeah if you don't look about the quality (knowing Sony high price and low quality products)
I'll wait the end of the HD DVD / Blu-ray war to decide and after i'll buy a Denon or a Yamaha one :)
I have too many Dvds to change now and some of the Dvds are still encoded in bad quality.
When they will be able to sell excellent quality Dvds then i'm going to think about the rest.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
:lol Oh man, like a moth to a flame.

It's funny how GAF can spin anything into its destructive gyre and start a debate over the most innocuously or most deviously phrased items that probably could be completely ignored.

KINGMOKU

Andy787 said:
It's not a toy. If you want a toy, buy a toy.
And how exactly is it not a toy?

1. An object for children to play with. 2. Something of little importance; a trifle. 3. An amusement; a pastime: thought of the business as a toy. 4. A small ornament; a bauble. 5. A diminutive thing or person. 6. A dog of a very small breed or of a variety smaller than the standard variety of its breed. 7. Scots A loose covering for the head, formerly worn by women. 8. Chiefly Southern U.S. A shooter marble.

It's a toy. An expensive one.

Chû Totoro said:
Yeah if you don't look about the quality (knowing Sony high price and low quality products)
I'll wait the end of the HD DVD / Blu-ray war to decide and after i'll buy a Denon or a Yamaha one :)
I have too many Dvds to change now and some of the Dvds are still encoded in bad quality.
When they will be able to sell excellent quality Dvds then i'm going to think about the rest.

I don't think Sony make low quality products. I bought one their G-protection discmans years ago and it held up pretty well even after dropping it a few times. I agree, however, that their prices are too high.

quetz67

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
:lol Oh man, like a moth to a flame.

It's funny how GAF can spin anything into its destructive gyre and start a debate over the most innocuously or most deviously phrased items that probably could be completely ignored.
yes, it should be obvious that BluRay player prices wont change the price/expensiveness of the PS3 as game console only. It is just a figure of speech, like 'you think your Mercedes was expensive, look at this Ferrari' or whatever

DigitalSoul said:
I don't think Sony make low quality products. I bought one their G-protection discmans years ago and it held up pretty well even after dropping it a few times. I agree, however, that their prices are too high.
A couple years back they used to make products of fantastic quality. I would gladly pay the extra just so I knew I was getting a good solid Sony build. That level of quality seems to have deteriorated to the point they even said so themselves. But, they did say that they would strive to build products of the same quality they used to, lets hope that's true.

Jeff-DSA

quetz67 said:
so what, I didnt say all those who are still 300 Euros short of a PS3 will magically get the money only because BluRay players are that expensive. Get a 360 and a HD-DVD later, I dont care, I'll get a PS3 as it is a Sony for me.

Fixed.

Andy787

Banned
moku said:
And how exactly is it not a toy?

1. An object for children to play with. 2. Something of little importance; a trifle. 3. An amusement; a pastime: thought of the business as a toy. 4. A small ornament; a bauble. 5. A diminutive thing or person. 6. A dog of a very small breed or of a variety smaller than the standard variety of its breed. 7. Scots A loose covering for the head, formerly worn by women. 8. Chiefly Southern U.S. A shooter marble.

It's a toy. An expensive one.
This is a toy:

B00000IZOU.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V60288702_.jpg

This is not a toy:

ps3-clear-black-front.jpg

Would you let a young child "play" with your PlayStation 3?

Do you consider anything that derives enjoyment a toy? Are women toys?

KINGMOKU

Andy787 said:
This is a toy:

B00000IZOU.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V60288702_.jpg

This is not a toy:

ps3-clear-black-front.jpg

Would you let a young child "play" with your PlayStation 3?

Do you consider anything that derives enjoyment a toy? Are women toys?
So, how would you classify it then?

A videogame machine is a toy, anyway you slice it. Having this discussion is pointless.

It's trivial, used for games, and watching movies.

Its a toy.

koam

You're not buying a BLURAY player you're supposed to be buying a videogame system. The price is high because it's a bluray player

Andy787

Banned
moku said:
So, how would you classify it then?

A videogame machine is a toy, anyway you slice it. Having this discussion is pointless.

It's trivial, used for games, and watching movies.

Its a toy.
shut up, fanboy

ryoisonthephone_01-1.jpg

Jeff-DSA

koam said:
You're not buying a BLURAY player you're supposed to be buying a videogame system. The price is high because it's a bluray player

That's the issue I have. I don't really care for Blu Ray at this point, but I do want access to the PS3 library. I'll probably still buy one at $600, but I'll never be happy with Sony's decision to force Blu Ray on us and using us as a means to push yet another new format.

Midas

koam said:

Yeah, I'm buying a Blu-ray player and a videogame system or a videogame system and a Blu-ray player, and it comes at a really great price.

Damn Blu-Ray players are expensive.
The PS3 is expensive.
Hell the X360 is expensive too.
I own an X360.
Where am I going with this?
I don't know.
But I'll keep running in circles.
Because that's how I roll.

Shit man I own over 200 DVDs. Quite a few of them are OOP so I'll be damned if a blu-ray version comes out anytime soon. Also I already own a ****ing computer, I just want my PS3 playing games and using it's tilt functions to rock my dick into the next level.

But yeah running in circles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom