• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prices of first BluRay Players in Europe...and you think the PS3 is expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Pimpbaa said:
No, you are playing more for an over-engineered videogame machine that has barely better if not equal visuals to the competitor

A system's technical credentials are measured solely by graphical quality? And I don't think there's a piece of hardware in PS3 that is not there to provide a function for games.

I'm probably not going to convince you, and you're not going to convince me, so I'll say no more. I'm simply glad the people designing the hardware didn't share your viewpoint.

Gigglepoo

Anything more than $300 is really expensive for a video game system. You have to consider that, without additional purchases, a video game system is completely useless. It's ridiculous to charge a metric ton of money for a system, and then have to buy accessories and games on the side.

Of course, I was blown away when I found out how much that X360 Force Feedback controller is going to cost. It's more than a frickin' NDS! Ridiculous.

I'll get the PS3 because the PS2 is the best system ever, but I'm none too pleased that I have to buy a Blu Ray DVD player as well. I don't buy/watch DVDs anyway, and it will be years before I have a high def TV.

Zaptruder

Banned
I'm gonna spin the trolls statement and say:

Yes, the PS3 is way expensive if all you do is play games.

note how that it subtely implies that you're a jobless loser if you only see the PS3 as a games machine. Brilliant!

If they want the home theater crowd to not consider it a toy they better ditch the 'smoked plastic' look. It's heavy, that's one thing working in its favor. Non-toy electronics need a metal housing and a lot of heft.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
NinSoX said:
I read that blu-ray movies are $40. Is that true?

Why did I imagine this question being asked with the voice of the kids from the first Lethal Weapon movie?

"Momma says policeman shoot black people. Is it true?!?! Is it true??!?!"

...ok so maybe it was just me.

jett

D-Member
NinSoX said:
I read that blu-ray movies are $40. Is that true?

No, they're $80. Also, they carry aids.

The price varies from studio to studio and release to release. Averages at around 25, I think.

Buggy Loop said:
That sony's ****ing problem, really, not mine. Its a videogame console, playstation = games. They could've just stick with DVD and have a PSX type of hardware with all the features you can imagine such as blow jobs or make toasts for all i care, but to play games, yea its expensive.

So...I imagine you are one of those who thinks videogames just won't increase in size and believes in artificially compressing game content in order to fit on a DVD??

Also, to the guy that calls the PS3 a toy, let me ask you this: Are DVD players toys?? Are movies toys?? Is music a toy?? Is everything that produces enjoyment a toy??

Maridia

Logan Cano said:
So...I imagine you are one of those who thinks videogames just won't increase in size and believes in artificially compressing game content in order to fit on a DVD??

Also, to the guy that calls the PS3 a toy, let me ask you this: Are DVD players toys?? Are movies toys?? Is music a toy?? Is everything that produces enjoyment a toy??

Only the things they sell at Toys R Us. It's scientifically proven.

Maridia said:
Only the things they sell at Toys R Us. It's scientifically proven.

Damn, didn't see that one coming. You are right. :)

BTW, I have no trouble over someone calling PS3 a toy, however, I'm interested in knowing why. If you are simply going to brand everything that produces enjoyment a toy, then that person definitely has a narrow and simple view of life.

Pimpbaa

Logan Cano said:

There is a natural way to compress game content?!

Pimpbaa said:
There is a natural way to compress game content?!

LOL, you know what I meant. What if the game engine could handle a texture of X size, but due to disc based limitations, you have to make it even smaller and lose more detail than you have to?? That's what I'm refering to.

damisa

gofreak said:
Would people prefer if Sony included hardware for its games console and then rigidly refused to enable non-gaming functionality that such hardware could support at no extra cost, simply in order to defend against BS accusations regarding their commitment to gaming such as those above? Or would they prefer an inferior and quite significantly less functional PS3, that shaved maybe 20% off the cost system? I know I wouldn't, in either case.

I would have preferred a blu-ray less PS3 for $400 or a PS3 with double the RAM and a faster CPU and GPU for $500-600.

gofreak said:
A system's technical credentials are measured solely by graphical quality? And I don't think there's a piece of hardware in PS3 that is not there to provide a function for games.

Nope, but there is a possibility that it could have been more efficiently built for the same kind of performance.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
GODDAMMIT MOM THEY'RE GRAPHIC NOVELS, NOT COMIC BOOKS. AND THESE ARE MY ACTION FIGURES, NOT DOLLS!

So...care to answer the question?? As I said, I don't care what people call them, I just want to know why.

cartman414 said:
Nope, but there is a possibility that it could have been more efficiently built for the same kind of performance.

How?? People like to bitch and criticize, but given Sony's situation at that given point in time, what would you have done differently?? RSX is what NVidia was able to offer Sony. G80 wasn't ready for a long shot for the timeframe Sony needed a GPU, nor did they have enough time to build one 100% custom made for PS3.

About the only thing where I can see a realistic improvement over what we have, is ammount of ram. Still, this is a very hard balancing act of prize and performance, and such decisions are not easily made, you need to know how you are going to cost reduce the system in the long run.

People like to believe BR doesn't offer anything to gaming, but as a matter of fact, it does. We already have games using the extra capacity it uses for game content, so it has proven to be usefull.

Logan Cano said:
How?? People like to bitch and criticize, but given Sony's situation at that given point in time, what would you have done differently?? RSX is what NVidia was able to offer Sony. G80 wasn't ready for a long shot for the timeframe Sony needed a GPU, nor did they have enough time to build one 100% custom made for PS3.

About the only thing where I can see a realistic improvement over what we have, is ammount of ram. Still, this is a very hard balancing act of prize and performance, and such decisions are not easily made, you need to know how you are going to cost reduce the system in the long run.

People like to believe BR doesn't offer anything to gaming, but as a matter of fact, it does. We already have games using the extra capacity it uses for game content, so it has proven to be usefull.

I was talking about Cell.

And while I won't discount Blu-Ray, it's a case of too much too soon IMO. Blu-Ray should have been on the market for at least 2 years for it to make sense from a price standpoint.

Buggy Loop

Logan Cano said:

Are X360 games so bad looking? And want it or not, even with 25GB or more storage, they'll still compress their data, 8MB/s speed transfer, even with the best of streaming technics, you cant have huge non compressed textures, simply not enough bandwidth.

NinSoX

Banned
jett said:
No, they're $80. Also, they carry aids.

The price varies from studio to studio and release to release. Averages at around 25, I think.

That's much better. I'm thinking of getting two PS3's; one for gaming and one just for movies :p

Maridia

Logan Cano said:
So...care to answer the question?? As I said, I don't care what people call them, I just want to know why.

People have a tendency to label anything unnecessary and used for enjoyment as a toy. It has an incredibly broad definition. A woman might refer to her husband's Corvette as a toy; that doesn't mean it's for kids. Taking offense is a good sign that you're insecure with your purchase.

But you said you didn't take offense, so it's cool.

I seriously think the argument is running too deep.

Its a more expensive system with more expensive games and there will be two cheaper alternatives on the market. How does $600 look to people who just want to play cool videogames? Not everybody walks into EB and does a comprehensive spec evaluation or immediately takes sides in a video format war. They will see $500-600. They will see the titles the system has at launch. In all likelyhood the pre-orders will be snapped up by quick off the mark Sony fans. In all likelyhood lots of people in-store will carefully consider the competition first. And it isn't bad.

"...and you think the PS3 is expensive?"

I say yes. I just think those BR players are EVEN MORE expensive. I refuse to be an early adopter to PS3 or Blu Ray players, purely on the grounds of price. Going off sentiment even on this board, that sentiment is shared with many. And we're supposed to be hardcore here.

Buggy Loop said:
Are X360 games so bad looking? And want it or not, even with 25GB or more storage, they'll still compress their data, 8MB/s speed transfer, even with the best of streaming technics, you cant have huge non compressed textures, simply not enough bandwidth.

I don't think you understood what I was implying. It wasn't that it wasn't desirable to have compressed textures, or that uncompressed huge textures would be the norm due to Blu Ray. What I meant is that the limitations DVD imposes forces developers to limit texture ammount or quality, whereas BR doesn't, at least not as much.

Of course, this depends from game to game, but that is still a benefit. It's not like all games will be 2 GBs in size forever. Then I'd argue against BR, but they are not.

cartman414 said:
I was talking about Cell.

And while I won't discount Blu-Ray, it's a case of too much too soon IMO. Blu-Ray should have been on the market for at least 2 years for it to make sense from a price standpoint.

Again, you have to take into account yield for Cell. For the timeframe Sony needed PS3 to be done, what else could be done to improve CELL?? It's already a huge enough chip as it is, and difficult to produce too. Measures to improve yield have been taken, but if they haven't when would you expect Sony to launch PS3?? In November 2007?? Why bother then??

Compromises had to be made, and I haven't seen evidence to the contrary that this isn't the best machine Sony could offer for this timeframe.

antiloop

Yes it is expensive, yes it is good value compared to other Blu-ray players(including next gen games. is there any other?).

But it all comes down to if it is worth it to the one single individual. To me it is worth it even for €599.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom