• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prime Now users: do you tip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartastic

Maybe they should just charge a $5 fee than calling it a tip.

Yeah. If they charged me a 5 dollar fee that went to the driver, I'd be fine with it. However, that'd affect the way I decide to use the service. I already pay for Amazon Prime, and if Amazon decides to also offer quick delivery as part of that Prime membership, that's on them.

Additionally, here in Oregon all service employees are still required to get an actual minimum wage. If they were only getting 2.13 or something an hour and were DEPENDENT on tips I'd feel different, but as it stands I'm not going to do that.

Guys if you can't afford the tip, you shouldn't be using Prime Now
Guys if you can't afford the tip, you shouldn't be going out to eat
Guys if you can't afford the tip, you should be cutting your own hair
Guys if you can't afford the tip, you shouldn't get any personal services
Guys if you can't afford the tip, move to Europe's tipping free utopia*

*Don't forget to tip your baggage claim attendants at the airport in route to Europe

finalflame

Gold Member
Guys if you can't afford the tip, you shouldn't be using Prime Now
Guys if you can't afford the tip, you shouldn't be going out to eat
Guys if you can't afford the tip, you should be cutting your own hair
Guys if you can't afford the tip, you shouldn't get any personal services

I agree with about 50% of that list, but this kind of gross overgeneralization just screams "I have an agenda".

I wonder how many people in this thread fighting for this work in a tipped industry and have a strong bias. I worked a tipped job for 5 years and have exactly the opposite. I knew how much I made, after tips, was entirely disproportional to the amount of work I actually did or effort on my part, even though I worked hard. Did I have some rough nights and do work that was often unglamorous? Sure. But thanks to tips, I made almost as much doing menial work back then as I do at my current highly skilled job.

People have a pretty twisted perspective on tipping and applying it to EVERYTHING. Do I think food delivery merits a tip? Sure. Personal cosmetics, like hair cuts and nails? Sure.

Do I think Amazon deliveries require a tip? I dunno. Still on the fence.

Do I think literally EVERYTHING I do out in the open requires me to tip the person helping me? No. Definitely not. Where are all the people lining up tio fight for retail workers to get tipped, too? They make minimum wage. What about kitchen workers at restaurants? They bust ass and hardly ever get a share of tips.

Willectro

Banned
Yup, $5 is pre-filled, but can be changed at the time of order. You can also change it up to 48 hours after the delivery.

That's not too bad I guess. At least it motivates someone to go the extra mile when delivering. UPS/FedEx/etc just can't be bothered making more than a half-assed attempt to deliver a package.

I agree with about 50% of that list, but this kind of gross overgeneralization just screams "I have an agenda".

I wonder how many people in this thread fighting for this work in a tipped industry and have a strong bias. I worked a tipped job for 5 years and have exactly the opposite. I knew how much I made, after tips, was entirely disproportional to the amount of work I actually did or effort on my part, even though I worked hard. Did I have some rough nights and do work that was often unglamorous? Sure. But thanks to tips, I made almost as much doing menial work back then as I do at my current highly skilled job.

People have a pretty twisted perspective on tipping and applying it to EVERYTHING. Do I think food delivery merits a tip? Sure. Personal cosmetics, like hair cuts and nails? Sure.

Do I think Amazon deliveries require a tip? I dunno. Still on the fence.

Do I think literally EVERYTHING I do out in the open requires me to tip the person helping me? No. Definitely not. Where are all the people lining up tio fight for retail workers to get tipped, too? They make minimum wage. What about kitchen workers at restaurants? They bust ass and hardly ever get a share of tips.
Tips are based on the work done. Essentially if someone has done work for you they deserve a tip.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That's not too bad I guess. At least it motivates someone to go the extra mile when delivering. UPS/FedEx/etc just can't be bothered making more than a half-assed attempt to deliver a package.

What I really want to know is if the tips for specific orders are visible to the courier.

I really don't see a difference between Amazon Prime Now and UPS/FedEx/USPS/DHL/etc. All of them bring a package to my door. I'm not even sure what extra mile they could do.

Mik2121

I guess my opinion would change if I lived in the US, but living in a different country I just can't see myself tipping for delivery.

The whole tipping system seems a bit toxic though, as that lets companies get away with shitty paying. I'm surprised it flies over, actually.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I really don't see a difference between Amazon Prime Now and UPS/FedEx/USPS/DHL/etc. All of them bring a package to my door. I'm not even sure what extra mile they could do.
In my case my work was supposed to be open and the driver called me (through amazon, no direct phone is shown) to let me know they couldn't deliver. They would wait 15m for me or swing by after 2 more deliveries. I thought that was good service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom