• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prime Now users: do you tip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keri

That is how reasonable works. Amazon offers this service and it exists for $99. This makes it reasonable (based on your definition as well).

The service that exists now, for $99/year, is not what the OP wants. If they offered the service, the way the OP wanted, this thread wouldn't exist. The question is whether what he wants is "reasonable" and simply wanting it, is not enough to make it "reasonable." Now, if other companies offer exactly what the OP wants, for the same or lower yearly fee, then he has a point.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
When I used it I tend to give $1 or $2. I just think of it as the charge to get the package withing 2 hours.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm kinda glad that young people especially are getting really mean about tipping because it is starting to drive change but at least admit that the person you are absolutely and demonstrably harming in the short term is the individual, not the "Man" or corporate America.

Tipping is a gratuity, not an obligation.

You do not need to tip.
We know the system by now. Anyone going on about "above and beyond" made that up for themselves to justify their behavior.

It's unreal that people would rather screw over underpaid workers than the companies underpaying them in the first place.

I'm kinda glad that young people especially are getting really mean about tipping because it is starting to drive change but at least admit that the person you are absolutely and demonstrably harming in the short term is the individual, not the "Man" or corporate America.

That's wrong and is just a silly attempt of customer blaming.

The company is hurting the poor delievery guy not the customer.

Stinkles

That's wrong and is just a silly attempt of customer blaming.

This is intellectual judo. You are not forced to use the service. You're party to hurting the driver too.

I don't like tipping. It's irritating and should be unnecessary.

But I'm not a cheapskate and I don't avoid responsibility for my half of the transaction.

Fink

If you buy from Amazon regularly and use 2-Day shipping your Prime pays for itself pretty fast.

If you want to make something 1-day shipping it's $3.99.

So $5 for someone to bring something to your door in only a few hours? That's awesome.

Keri

The non-tipping customer is profiting off the exploitation of the delivery person, just like the company is, because they're accepting the benefit of lower prices. They're perpetuating the system just like tippers, because they're using the service. They're just opting not to pay more, directly to the delivery person.

This is intellectual judo. You are not forced to use the service. You're party to hurting the driver too.

I don't like tipping. It's irritating and should be unnecessary.

But I'm not a cheapskate and I don't avoid responsibility for my half of the transaction.

Neither do I with fulfilling the contract I made with Amazon.

I almost jumped in for BLOPS3 $20 off deal on Prime Now, but when I saw that they expected a $6 tip I just didn't order. That's barely any better then the GCU discount.

The service that exists now, for $99/year, is not what the OP wants. If they offered the service, the way the OP wanted, this thread wouldn't exist. The question is whether what he wants is "reasonable" and simply wanting it, is not enough to make it "reasonable." Now, if other companies offer exactly what the OP wants, for the same or lower yearly fee, then he has a point.

This is the service he wants, just not the billing structure. I don't believe the OP has stated otherwise. OP is also OK with a price increase. This thread wouldn't exist if they didn't ask for a tip. It became reasonable when Amazon put together this package. Other companies may charge more but within the spectrum of the offer it is reasonable to want the service you pay for.

Wvrs

You should absolutely tip, that's a large part of how the courier bringing you your order gets paid.

Why do people think this is okay? I tip even though I live in the UK, because I've worked as a waiter/bartender and tips are always a nice gesture if the service is good. And I mean significantly above average.

But you should never feel compelled to. The onus should be on employers to give their staff a fair wage.

And yes, you can have good service without a tipping incentive. The last bar I worked at, I worked dilligently, made sure my service was top notch and had good feedback from customers to my manager. Was swiftly promoted and earning more than I'd started on.

That's incentive. Would never work a job where my livelihood relied on demanding people pay extra to me on top of their bills: how unreliable is that for an income?

Keri

This is the service he wants, just not the billing structure. I don't believe the OP has stated otherwise. OP is also OK with a price increase. This thread wouldn't exist if they didn't ask for a tip. It became reasonable when Amazon put together this package. Other companies may charge more but within the spectrum of the offer it is reasonable to want the service you pay for.

Prime membership includes free 2-day shipping (and some other perks). That's what he paid for, with his membership. One of those perks is now the choice to use Prime Now, with the suggestion that you tip. If he's not comfortable with the suggestion that he tip, then his choices are: (1) Embrace the exploitation of the delivery person and use the service without tipping; or (2) If this extremely new feature was the reason he joined Prime, then cancel his membership.

Prime membership includes free 2-day shipping (and some other perks). That's what he paid for, with his membership. One of those perks is now the choice to use Prime Now, with the suggestion that you tip. If he's not comfortable with the suggestion that he tip, then his choices are: (1) Embrace the exploitation of the delivery person and use the service without tipping; or (2) If this extremely new feature was the reason he joined Prime, then cancel his membership.

He made his choice already.

Stinkles

Neither do I with fulfilling the contract I made with Amazon.

And that's your right.

You're not stupid. You're not evil.

But you're also claiming you have no part in harming the delivery guy. Well if you use NOW and you're aware the drivers depend on tips, I don't know what to tell you.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Yes, tip. If you tip a waiter, you should tip this delivery guy. They are expending more (wear and tear on vehicle, gas, etc).

Edit -- People in this thread are right, though. Onus should be on owners to provide a living wage. But the fact of the matter in the US is that it's not - so you should tip.

DOWN

Banned
Tipping is a gratuity, not an obligation.

You do not need to tip.

Let's not pretend that just because it's allowed to not tip, that you don't need to tip. If you are going to be a decent human being, you need to tip. You know better than to screw someone who is in this payment structure over.

Let's not pretend that just because it's allowed to not tip, that you don't need to tip. If you are going to be a decent human being, you need to tip. You know better than to screw someone who is in this payment structure over.
Customer blaming and self-inflated pride on your part. No one gets to dictate how others should spend their money.

NimbusD

I don't feel that should be my problem. I already pay Amazon for Prime and it's a part of that $99/year.

No problem tipping at most other services I don't already pay a subscription to (valets, restaurants, pizza delivery, etc), but I don't feel that a method of delivery they are offering as part of my membership (which keeps incrasing in price, btw) should require a tip.

Then use Google Express. You not tipping just fucks the delivery person out of their pay. If don't like it, then don't use the service, no one's forcing you to, but they're up front about wanting you to tip the delivery people.

You are literally getting like w/e the fuck you want within two hours and you think you're being ripped off for handing the person a five for doing that for you?

I tip the standard 15% when I go to a restaurant. The time last week when the server sat at our table to take our order and tried to trick me into ordering a more expensive side of fries, we tipped her 9%.

It's all about customer satisfaction, and it shouldn't be something by default. Especially since I live in California and servers make minimum wage.

Stinkles

But they are being paid, and so is Amazon you massive dickhead.

Amazon gets paid its normal amount, when you stiff the driver he gets almost nothing and may even lose money overall. Also I believe calling someone a massive dickhead for pointing out facts may be uncool.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I always find it hilarious that people who hate tipping and want it gone still use the damn services. They just stiff the worker instead of the company. What is wrong with people?

I try to avoid situations where tipping is effectively mandatory as much as possible (restaurants, delivery, taxi cabs, valet, luggage carrying). I just hate the whole thing, so I don't use them. When I do use them, of course I tip, but I just don't engage with the system when I can.

I'm not ready to accept that tipping for Amazon couriers is mandatory yet. I really just want the culture of tipping to go away in this country. Having to worry about the level of service the worker is offering is just annoying as a customer and shouldn't be expected. That's my take, at least.

It shows you where the driver is and how far he/she has to go so its easy to see.

You're essentially measuring customer service with a tip so thats where youre evaluating performance. Thats the point of the tip.

If they fuck up too bad then dont pay them their tip. Otherwise pay the tip just like 15-20% is the norm at most restaurants, $5 dollars is the norm for this service.

No, thank you. I do not want to give a shit about the driver who happens to be delivering my package. I do not want to evaluate them at all. I don't want to think about them.

Not having to do so is a huge part of the appeal of using services like this. Having the tip included or not expected in the first place in services like Uber and Lyft is a big part of what makes them appealing over taxis.

And that's your right.

You're not stupid. You're not evil.

But you're also claiming you have no part in harming the delivery guy. Well if you use NOW and you're aware the drivers depend on tips, I don't know what to tell you.

If we at the point where legally using and fully paying for a service is harming people then everything is lost.

Anything else is just random blaming.

Amazon gets paid its normal amount, when you stiff the driver he gets almost nothing and may even lose money overall. Also I believe calling someone a massive dickhead for pointing out facts may be uncool.
Taking a sarcastic stance and acting like these drivers are doing this out of the kindness of their hearts is uncool. This is their job. If it isn't working for them they should consider something else.

I was starving earlier this year and refused to get an unpaid or low paid internship because I knew it wouldn't work for me in the long run.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Still waiting to know how much the delivery people are paid
*Since no one reads:
https://www.amazon.com/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/9/29/1425873/-Amazon-begins-the-Uber-ization-of-its-employees

1tilaAU.png

iwQ9IKt.png

dc3k

Amazon gets paid its normal amount, when you stiff the driver he gets almost nothing and may even lose money overall.
Boo hoo. Get a different job if your life relies on people being guilted into "tipping" you.

(Incoming "but the economy! :'( Jobs are hard to find!" whining)

Fnord

Of course I tipped. The package I ordered was delivered to my door in 2-hours, that's well and beyond the service I consider included in my prime membership (free 2-day shipping). Also, I think the tip is earned, by the pressure the driver is under, to make all their deliveries so quickly. I mean, its equivalent to tipping the pizza guy.

Not coming down one way or the other (don't have the service here), but, by definition, same day delivery is part of the service you're paying for and not "beyond" what's included in your prime membership. You're not paying an additional fee for it, are you?

Real mature guy. You have no idea how much they're are making without tips, don't act like you do. And I guess you don't realize how much these people into wear and tear on their cars.
If a delivery-based job is wrecking their livelihood and is ultimately detrimental to their vehicles then it probably isn't for them and they should consider another line of employment.

Don't pretend they are delivering stuff to your house out of the kindness of their hearts. This is a service offered by Amazon and people are paying for it. If the job is horrible then try to get another one.

I was starving earlier this year and didn't succumb to a low paid internship because it wasn't sustainable. And by the sounds of it this isn't either

SDCowboy

Don't have it in my area, but no, I would not tip. That's ridiculous. One, that's their job, two, that's what I pay for with a prime subscription. In retail, I bust my ass to directly help tons of people every day. Nobody tips me one red cent.

Keri

Not coming down one way or the other (don't have the service here), but, by definition, same day delivery is part of the service you're paying for and not "beyond" what's included in your prime membership. You're not paying an additional fee for it, are you?

The Amazon Prime membership comes with free 2-day delivery and free 1-day delivery, for certain items and orders over $35. Now, included within the Prime membership is the ability to use Prime Now, which offers "free" 1-hour or 2-hour delivery: There's no additional delivery fee, but it's recommended that you tip the driver. Prime Now was not originally included in the Prime Membership and didn't exist in my area, when I renewed this year. It still doesn't exist, in most places, I think.

SDCowboy

If they're making $17-$25 before tips then my argument is invalid. Shit I'd quit my job and go there if that were the case, if they ever got it in stl
Hell, after seeing that, I'd make that my new job also if it was in my area. I have a truck so I can load a lot of packages. lol

Postmates has the same vague "$20-25 hour" promise. Look at the wording. Tips make up that assumed hourly total.

You can't find people talking openly about what they're making at Flex like you can with Postmates. I'm taking that as a red flag until I see otherwise.

Also this:

Now if we add up all of the costs which Amazon has managed to offload onto the Flex driver (all the while convincing him/her that he or she is "empowered"), we get $1,484.32 per month for expenses.

So, from gross pay of $2,880.00 per month, the driver will actually have a net income of $1,395.68 after expenses. That works out to $8.72 per hour. In other words, about the same that Walmart is now paying as a starting wage for employees.

Joyful

At what point does a meme cease to be funny or even to add anything to the conversation?

You're posting a .GIF from a movie that is 23 years old.

Please stop.

if only the tipping scene from reservoir dogs wasnt still 100% relevant to modern times

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Postmates has the same vague "$20-25 hour" promise. Look at the wording. Tips make up that assumed hourly total.

You can't find people talking openly about what they're making at Flex like you can with Postmates. I'm taking that as a red flag until I see otherwise.
Yeah, I'm not saying that's what they make. But I don't think they are making federal tipping min wage of $3 in California and being compensated like so many people are assuming.

It's flexible work hours when they want to be on call too which is also different so all the deductions they have in there don't really apply imo:
Commercial vehicle insurance
If the driver were a full-time employee elsewhere, he or she could expect 2 weeks of paid vacation. Instead, the driver will have to save money to effectively pay him/herself for 2 weeks during the year: $120.00 per month.
As with vacation pay, the driver will be responsible for any time taken off due to illness. Let's allow 1 week per year, which the driver must save up in case it is needed: $60.00 per month.
A full-time employee could expect at least 7 paid holidays (Christmas, New Year, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Veterans Day and Thanksgiving). The Flex driver will have to save for those holidays: $84.00 per month.
Unemployment benefits can't be calculated under this scenario easily. I will assume a driver should save 2 weeks of pay in order to have a small cushion to find another job in the event it is necessary: $120.00 per month.
Like, what? Even as a base minimum of $9 for when they want to work, it it probably higher from what it sounds like. For a part time gig or extra work that seems fine.

Maybe some person can do an AMA on Reddit about it.

Takuan

Take a stand where it actually matters. Don't use services from companies that have suggested tips. Don't stiff the damn independent contractors but still use the service and expect that somehow this country will change magically.
This a much better post than your first where you called a bunch of people garbage.

The reality is that some people out there will look at this service as "free" as long as the tip is optional. Amazon should just make the damned thing mandatory. Five bucks for 1 hr delivery is pretty sweet, but there will always be people who opt to pay nothing as long as it's possible.

NimbusD

If they're making $17-$25 before tips then my argument is invalid. Shit I'd quit my job and go there if that were the case, if they ever got it in stl

Uh I wouldn't jump at that so quickly. It's always nearly impossible to make the top range of these types of jobs, they always oversell them. Plus you're not their employee, you're freelancing, so you're paying your own health care, you're paying for your own car, you're paying taxes. A lot of these jobs are minimum wage after it's all said and done. Source: I've done postmates on and off for a while and looking into other similar gigs before deciding against it realizing they're all the same deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom