• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Princess Peach: Showtime! demo is out

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I'm interested in this game but I'll be getting it later on
According to my observations from the demo, it seems like a simple and boring game. Despite the outdated graphics, the fact that it probably runs at 30fps or below is another downside. It's better not to buy it without trying. Some might call it a game for little girls, but I don't think my daughter would play it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
is this the game where the secret 100% ending got leaked and it involved peach lifting her skirt and showing her butt-naked ass to bowser?

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

According to my observations from the demo, it seems like a simple and boring game. Despite the outdated graphics, the fact that it probably runs at 30fps or below is another downside. It's better not to buy it without trying. Some might call it a game for little girls, but I don't think my daughter would play it.
fruit refreshing GIF

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Where is the hype train, folks?
Played it, it's cute but I'm not sure it'll sustain my interest enough to justify a purchase. The baking level in particular didn't work for me.

Edit: to be clear, the graphics are fine, and so is performance and art direction. It's the game design I'm not sold on.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Havnt played, honestly cant say im ever hyped for these nintendo games where even nintendo dont really give to shits about

kunonabi

Havnt played, honestly cant say im ever hyped for these nintendo games where even nintendo dont really give to shits about
They've been coasting practically since the Switch launched. This is honestly the kind of game I should like but the middling snippets of gameplay, Peach's weird voice direction, and the fact that they couldn't even be bothered to have a solid framerate for it makes me just not want to bother.

They've been coasting practically since the Switch launched. This is honestly the kind of game I should like but the middling snippets of gameplay, Peach's weird voice direction, and the fact that they couldn't even be bothered to have a solid framerate for it makes me just not want to bother.
Remember when consolidating handheld and console development for the Switch was supposed to bring in a consistent flow of high quality output from Nintendo?

Sorry friends but reality isn't on your side here.

This is all published games, but look at the Wii U / 3DS years vs the years after 3DS output stopped.

Now, those are COVID era years so we could talk about whatever impact that had, but there certainly hasn't been any increase in the output vs the recent years of handheld/console development.

From a console standpoint, it's about the same as it always has been; some really great titles with long breaks in between.

Reactions: Isa

This is all published games, but look at the Wii U / 3DS years vs the years after 3DS output stopped.

Now, those are COVID era years so we could talk about whatever impact that had, but there certainly hasn't been any increase in the output vs the recent years of handheld/console development.

From a console standpoint, it's about the same as it always has been; some really great titles with long breaks in between.

It’s also true that games take 3-5 years to develop now, though. In the 3DS era, titles were still at that GameCube/Wii-level development scale.

Game dev teams and scale have ballooned during Wii U and especially with Switch software. 6 years now to make a 3D console Zelda, for example.

Last edited:
It’s also true that games take 3-5 years to develop now, though. In the 3DS era, titles were still at that GameCube/Wii-level development scale.

Game dev teams and scale have ballooned during Wii U and especially with Switch software. 6 years now to make a 3D console Zelda, for example.
That's a good point. This is an extreme example but it's pretty wild that we haven't had an original game from Retro in 10 years. They're most likely going to miss the Switch altogether.

Last edited:
That's a good point. This is an extreme example but it's pretty wild that we haven't had an original game from Retro in 10 years. They're most likely going to miss the Switch altogether.
I’m convinced MP4 will come to Switch, it might just be a BotW situation. Comes to both systems same day/ launch day of the new one.

Also, less importantly, I think they’ve had a cancellation or two. And they’ve also worked on the MP1 remaster as well. The last decade has not been kind to them. I’m assuming after a full 5 calendar years in development, MP4 will deliver and be pretty spectacular, and they’ll be redeemed. But on the off chance that it somehow doesn’t turn out, I think they’ll be converted to just a full-on support studio.

Last edited:

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Yeah

Super Mario World, for example. Zero replay value.

Where are the different builds? Different skins? Alternate endings? No DLC? No online PVP?

Its a game that people play for 5h and forget about it right after

Based on the demo, Princess Peach is nothing like Super Mario World. It seems to heavily rely on scripted scenes rather than open ended gameplay. Perhaps the trailer for Puppeteer isn't representative of the final product but it also shows scripted scenes. Hence my comment on lack of replay value.

Reactions: Isa
Based on the demo, Princess Peach is nothing like Super Mario World. It seems to heavily rely on scripted scenes rather than open ended gameplay. Perhaps the trailer for Puppeteer isn't representative of the final product but it also shows scripted scenes. Hence my comment on lack of replay value.
This is just me, but to me the game looks completely boring and uninteresting, in every way.

Shut0wen

Nah they been doing this shit since the wii, most of there games are great, just the unusual ones like yoshis wolly world, mario party and captain toad the rest are purchasable

Skeptical

Neo Member

They publish roughly one game a month. Given the realities of how long it takes to make games these days, how many games a year do you expect them to publish? And how many other big name publishers can do that? Not only that, but given the sheer number of games that release these days, how many more do you need?

The difference is that Nintendo's fanbase is far more diverse than Sony's (for example), and thus Nintendo has to release a far more diverse set of games. And the reality is that a large portion of the fanbase do not care for the typical hardcore M rated story and graphics driven games that this site cares about. So yes, this is a game focused on the casual, younger, female oriented crowd. Of course there's not much interest in it on this site. I'm not interested in it either. But why is that a bad thing?

Isa

I tried it, its ok. Peach is one of my favorite characters but this feels a bit off. Not bad just like others have said kind of one and done. Its very family friendly with its simplicity, it kind of reminds me of Kirby with how simple the controls are and having them change along with the playstyle as one gains new costumes. However I think Kirby is a bit better. I do like the art style and overall the gfx are nice. I'll probably end up getting it but I can see why other would pass or wait for a non existent sale.

Top Bottom