• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Tekken player Tanukana released from eSports team following inappropriate comments about short men

clem84

Gold Member

17_tanubnr.webp

Professional female Tekken player Tanukana has been terminated from Cyclops Athletic Gaming after making inappropriate comments during a live stream.

The Osaka eSports organization have released a statement confirming the cancellation of Tanukana's sponsorship contract effective today. According to Cyclops, the competitor made inappropriate and discriminatory remarks during a live stream on February 15, which led to her removal.

Tanukana is one of the most prominent female fighting game players competing today. She has numerous top placings in major Tekken events on her résumé, and was even invited to Daigo Umehara's second Kemonomichi event back in 2018 to compete in a Tekken 7 exhibition.
With her remarks during the stream, Tanukana reportedly targeted short men. "Men who are under 170 cm (5 ft 6.9 in) don’t have human rights,” is the quote that landed the player in hot water, and Kotaku reports that she also went on to say that those below said height should consider bone-lengthening surgery.

Tanukana shared an apology on Twitter that has since been deleted, but she followed up with a series of tweets offering a more formal apology than initially released.

Since this article was originally published, Tanukana’s firing has truly gone nationwide. ANN News, one of the country’s biggest news stations, broadcasted the incident, reporting that Tanukana got fired after making a comment about men under 170 cm not having human rights.

While clearly Tanukana’s height comments were far from the most unpleasant remarks she’s made on a stream, they ended up arguably insulting, from the apparent perspective of the sponsors, half of the men in a country where the average height is 170.8 cm.

Hey it could've been worse. At least she didn't allude to the size of short men's genitals.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I can't take any statement of this kind seriously. You got to have some form of psychological issue that's being vented here, it doesn't make any sense. Also, eventhubs doesn't seem to know the difference between a median and a mean value since they conclude that "half" of all men must be below said height. Anyways, I'm glad men haven't (yet?) started to try to fool anyone about their genes by visiting a surgeon. Imagine having a kid that looks like straight out of gollums lair because you married someone who's gone through dozens of plastic surgeries.

Barakov

The meaning of "Human rights" is apparently mistranslated in the context. In the FG community it has the same meaning as Tier. So short men are low tier, and tall are high tier.
This really seems like a combination of the language barrier, taking FGC lingo at face value and clout chasers from Twitter/Reditt from the West looking for something to get mad about. It also seems like 2chan/other forums in Japan picked this up as well. Cancel culture is pretty bad but they take harassment to a whole other level over there.

She just said something that a lot of women think in their heads. It also brings the fact that a lot Esports orgs don't think that highly of the players they employ given how quickly they fold when some controversy pops up.

Dr_Salt

Someone said the ree thread is hilarious so I wanted to check it out for myself. When I went there I saw comedy gold and wanted to share something that made me smile. I'm sorry it offended you and I promise I won't do it again
Don't worry you only got a 3 day ban it will be over soon.

Anyways Tanukana can show that salmon pink she likes to talk about for a living now.

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
Now, it looks like this was only the tip of the iceberg. Since the story was picked up by western media, there's been a flurry of accusations made about Tanukana, and her other strange rants on stream. This includes a similar distaste towards anyone with an A cup bra size, and even a full-blown hatred of low-income earners.

The Tekken player is said to have referred to unemployed people and low-income earners as "trash". In more extreme examples, she apparently said these individuals should "kill themselves".

Tanukana did indeed insult short men on her stream, but also reveals that she went after people with small breasts. She similarly said that anyone who's an A cup "shouldn't have human rights" too.

Claims are circulating that she has previously referred to LGBTQ+ individuals as "mentally ill", and made negative comments towards bald men and women over 30. However, unlike the allegations mentioned above, we've been unable to find an original source for these claims.

A real charmer she is OMG ahaha

She explained that she did not intend to go after those of smaller stature, rather she meant to express her love of tall guys.

With such attitude she will find a real "treasure" of a guy for herself, that's for sure lol

Boglin

Are short men a protected class now? Jesus, nobody can take any jokes these days.
Apparently this lady isn't shy about making offensive jokes so she was already in some people's cross-hairs.

A real charmer she is OMG ahaha
She herself is almost 30 so that should tell you the seriousness of her comments making fun of women over 30. I'm not going to take "It's being said" and "claims are circulating" accusations seriously because the accusations are almost assuredly being made by people who view everything through politically correct lenses.

In my opinion, she just has an edgy sense of humor and likes going for shock value.

Last edited:

Boglin

Again, a true charmer. Good luck to her in finding any decent guy who would be willing to be with her. She's still single? Gee I wonder why.
Yeah, I agree. If she wants to find a good guy she should probably start acting more like a lady

arvfab

Banned
Oh no, a person I never heard or cared about, said something which "offends" me (size <170cm)... It never happened before and I don't know how to handle the situation. Should I start tweeting about it? Start a petition? Is there a tutorial I can follow about "how to bitch about useless stuff"?

Skifi28

Oh no, a person I never heard or cared about, said something which "offends" me (size <170cm)... It never happened before and I don't know how to handle the situation. Should I start tweeting about it? Start a petition? Is there a tutorial I can follow about "how to bitch about useless stuff"?
Apparently, you don't have any rights, so you can't complain about it or start a petition.

Top Bottom