• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton 2 Viral Marketing Bombshell: The Twitter Account Wasn't Real :(

Gravijah

chubigans said:
It sets up kind of a dangerous precedent if he wasn't banned though.

Precedent? This isn't the legal system, mods and admins can do what they want and not have to worry about following past shit. :lol

Azure J

EviLore said:
Punk-ass Decepticon.

COOOOOLD BLOOOOODED! :lol

Seriously though, this was really unavoidable. He might have had good intentions, but still for all intents and purposes, he had a track record for spreading a good bit of information, more shifty than legit, and with that, it's easy to see why this one built up and blindsided him.

Guled said:
aren't official threads for games a kind of viral marketing?
They aren't fake viral marketing, though.

No one makes an official thread and says "Oh man Nintendo just sent me this OP, fully formatted, and it was probably written by Miyamoto!"

Firestorm

Guled said:
Not really, no. They're usually a way to keep stuff on one game in one thread. Unless you're PusherT and the game is The Conduit.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Well hey what's going on in-

..wtf? I go to OT for half an hour and all this happens? Damn.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Guled said:
yea, thats what i dont get. it sounds to me like he is just tryin to get others excited for shit he's excited about. again, the ego-side of it was the worst, but the embarassment from just having that part exposed seems like it should be punishment enough. how long did he keep the twitter thing going?

i just think its a shame, cuz i spent like 3 hours on http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16567234&postcount=1 and was so proud i had to do everything in my power to resist bumping that thread any more than i did. i can empathize, is all.

Milabrega

Ever wanted to know what site pimping and viral marketing on Gaf looks like:

mm68tv.jpg

Well BAM! there it is.

tired meme i know

Gazunta

I dunno guys. So what if this game journalist wanted to support Layton 2? This is just like the time that Washington Post journalist made a fake Michelle Obama Twitter account to drum up hype and support for the election last year.

OH WAIT THAT NEVER HAPPENED BECAUSE REAL JOURNALISTS DON'T DO THAT.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Gravijah said:
Precedent? This isn't the legal system, mods and admins can do what they want and not have to worry about following past shit. :lol
Hah, that was poor wording. I mean that if Wii wasn't banned then anyone could say, "Whoa Gaf, check out this awesome site/game/blog I found!" without people knowing it's actually theirs.

We wouldn't have known it was Wii's Twitter had he never said anything, oddly enough.

Gazunta said:
I dunno guys. So what if this game journalist wanted to support Layton 2? This is just like the time that Washington Post journalist made a fake Michelle Obama Twitter account to drum up hype and support for the election last year.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Milabrega said:

mm68tv.jpg

Well BAM! there it is.

tired meme i know

Tired as it is, and despite my thoughts on the topic, I laughed. :lol I'm still chuckling.

Feep

Banned
This thread has made me very cautious about promoting my Community Game on GAF when it's ready. Wii Will Rock U, if you're reading this, I will not repeat your mistake. /salute

bistromathics said:
yea, thats what i dont get. it sounds to me like he is just tryin to get others excited for shit he's excited about. again, the ego-side of it was the worst, but the embarassment from just having that part exposed seems like it should be punishment enough. how long did he keep the twitter thing going?

i just think its a shame, cuz i spent like 3 hours on http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16567234&postcount=1 and was so proud i had to do everything in my power to resist bumping that thread any more than i did. i can empathize, is all.
But he didn't get exposed.

He posted his real name on the Twitter. One google search and ten seconds later, the real name was tied to this account.

He knew that would happen. He's posted his own articles many times before. Which, again, speaks to a much greater pattern than just that thread. When he was "exposed", he felt the whole thing was bragworthy, and only became contrite when it was revealed he broke a rule that he should have known about.

So what was the part that was wrong in trying to promote this game? Him acting like it was an official account, or just trying to get people to buy the game period via his own way? I'm confused.

There shouldn't be anything wrong with trying to get people buying games by a twitter page, forum, website, etc. I mean there are plenty of fansites that pretty much do the samething in their own way right?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Gazunta said:

Stay Awesome Gaz :lol

Gravijah

Hero of Legend said:
So what was the part that was wrong in trying to promote this game? Him acting like it was an official account, or just trying to get people to buy the game period via his own way? I'm confused.

There shouldn't be anything wrong with trying to get people buying games by a twitter page, forum, website, etc. I mean there are plenty of fansites that pretty much do the samething in their own way right?

Promoting your own shit like blogs, twitters etc is frowned upon, no?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
AranhaHunter said:
Poor guy and he cares so much about GAF and loves us all.

That said, I am going to miss the site from the bottom of my heart.
20 minutes ago from web

Oh god.

Eh, beaten.

arne

Gazunta said:

i was just coming in here to say this.

i think layton is awesome and all, but i'm extremely surprised that the gaf is so hard on journalists and "journalists here" turns such a blind eye to one who willingly and openly throws away just about every last shred of integrity.

This wii dude sent me a random instant message the other day asking if i liked smash bros as if he was taking some kind of survey. Good riddance.

Hero of Legend said:

You just liked his name.

Masked Man

I said wow
FoxHimself said:
I still like to think he's throwing himself at the bed like a dead fish crying like that kid who got his WoW account deleted by his mother.

Actually, visualizing that makes this thread fucking hilarious.

Milabrega said:

mm68tv.jpg

Well BAM! there it is.

tired meme i know

Oh, goodness, GAF. :lol :lol

Gilgamesh

Hero of Legend said:

Yes, I would like to see where in the rules it is stated that one cannot create fake Twitter accounts for video game promotional purposes.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Feep said:
This thread has made me very cautious about promoting my Community Game on GAF when it's ready. Wii Will Rock U, if you're reading this, I will not repeat your mistake. /salute

Same for my Android game and gaming review website. I'll probably only pimp my game in the Android threads I made...

On the other hand, sp0rsk and a few others made threads for their games. Hrm, probably a fine line to walk.

Milabrega said:

mm68tv.jpg

Well BAM! there it is.

tired meme i know

He wasn't even a viral marketer, he was just a fan. He tried to help the twitter with a few comments when he should've stayed quiet, but it's like if someone made a twitter where they talked like Luigi (or election PoliGAF may remember the fake Sarah Palin twitter?), that would be ban-worthy. It's because it's the NOA-neglected franchise Layton that people are so angry, with a mild side of the annoyance that it took up their time. But if it was Luigi going "Mamma mia, I hope-a these Super Mushrooms help me save the princess!", people would roll their eyes and move on.

It doesn't say much for him as a journalist, but it was just a stupid in-character Twitter that tacked on a "Don't forget to buy Layton!" at the end. It made my BS senses tingle, so I wasn't surprised, maybe that's part of it, but I don't think it was that harmful.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Andrex said:
Same for my Android game and gaming review website. I'll probably only pimp my game in the Android threads I made...

On the other hand, sp0rsk and a few others made threads for their games. Hrm, probably a fine line to walk.

I've made threads promoting my indie game with no problems at all. It's not against TOS to promote your games, but it is when it's an ad-revenue website/blog/etc.

Now if you promote your game like, "HOLY CRAP check out this awesome game! I just discovered it on the web. I think we should all buy a few copies," then yeah, bannage ahead.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
chubigans said:
I've made threads promoting my indie game with no problems at all. It's not against TOS to promote your games, but it is when it's an ad-revenue website/blog/etc.

Now if you promote your game like, "HOLY CRAP check out this awesome game! I just discovered it on the web. I think we should all buy a few copies," then yeah, bannage ahead.

Ah OK, I get it now. :lol

pakkit

Banned
Kulock said:
As a journalist, he's certainly shitty for it, but Matt's made up things to try to get ideas through himself. "Kid Icarus" if you want a nice example. I'm not saying it's right, but he's not alone and on the whole it wasn't that harmful or advertising.
Look, I'm no enemy of Wii Will Rock U, but did you seriously just compare him to Matt Casamassina?

I think you're fine with making threads for your gaming projects as long as you PM someone in charge and ask first.

But I'm just guessing, I'm not a mod.

I do know that you probably can't create a thread for it saying "Man, this is awesome! Whoever made this game is the best developer ever!", like WWRU did.

Firestorm

There are a few GAFfers who have made games and made topics for it. They've been well received as it's interesting checking those out. At the very least I'd run it by a mod first if you've made something really cool.

pakkit said:
Look, I'm no enemy of Wii Will Rock U, but did you seriously just compare him to Matt Casamassina?

It was more of a "look at his example" reference, but yeah, I'm really thinking of hacking that part out of the post. It just confuses things.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I liked the guy. :(

Oh well.

Guled said:
wtf, why was he banned. He should be congratulated for creating such an awesome viral marketing campaign. This most likely created more hype for Layton 2 then anything Nintendo has done so far

Are you serious?

Like, seriously serious?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
HUELEN10 said:
http://i29.tinypic.com/2mdqxw9.png[IMG]
Lulz?[/QUOTE]
The concept is workable, but the wording in the second panel is really awkward.

I had to reread it like eight times to read it correctly.

Gilgamesh said:
Yes, I would like to see where in the rules it is stated that one cannot create fake Twitter accounts for video game promotional purposes.

Why argue it now? I feel for Roger, he really did love it here, his groveling at the end should prove that.

Papercuts said:
The way he worded it on twitter sounds like it, atleast.

Why, what does it say?

The guy was a fuck and a half, the worst sort of fanboy. From that stuuuuupid Iwata REENACTMENT VIDEO OMG SO FUNNY, to all the smart "hints" and "leaks" he "provided" us with. He was a tool thinking he was so special that he was a game journalist, but in reality he might as well have just worked for **********.

edit: see? even the word for the shit he does is banned. Go---Nintendo.

Top Bottom