• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton and The Miracle Mask |OT| This Is Another Layton Game (But In 3D)

I've played all Layton games and still found the ending to be somewhat confusing. The Last Spectre is a total blur for me, though, since I didn't really like the game. That might be the reason for my confusion.

duckroll

The daily puzzles are pretty good in this one. I like that they're themed and totally different from what's available in the normal game. I've been grabbing the updates about once a week to play a few puzzles during the weekend.

M3d10n

The daily puzzles are pretty good in this one. I like that they're themed and totally different from what's available in the normal game. I've been grabbing the updates about once a week to play a few puzzles during the weekend.
Yeah, some of them are almost mini-games.

jgkspsx

Totally this.

RE: the ending
Maskdude only appeared briefly in the Last Spectre. Nothing has been revealed about him yet. Here's a wild guess: he's going to turn out to not actually be so bad after all. Which, given that he tried to kill Las Vegas, is a little hollow, to me.

The Targent thing is totally new to me. It actually pisses me off... for a series that started out with a primary villain who looks like The Penguin, we're going into Metal Gear territory?

So how about this series' geography, huh? I guess Americurope is where they live?

M3d10n

Totally this.

RE: the ending
Maskdude only appeared briefly in the Last Spectre. Nothing has been revealed about him yet. Here's a wild guess: he's going to turn out to not actually be so bad after all. Which, given that he tried to kill Las Vegas, is a little hollow, to me.

The Targent thing is totally new to me. It actually pisses me off... for a series that started out with a primary villain who looks like The Penguin, we're going into Metal Gear territory?

So how about this series' geography, huh? I guess Americurope is where they live?

Watch Eternal Diva for more
Descole
. I am actually hyped by the
Targent
in the sixth game. I hope it's as epic and crazy as Unwound Future.

Never hated hated a puzzle as much as I hate the "make a duck with color squares" one. It's seriously getting on my nerves.

Effect

Never played a Layton game before but should someone new be able to jump into the story? Also how long is the game?

Sloane

Banned
Never played a Layton game before but should someone new be able to jump into the story? Also how long is the game?
Yeah, you don't really need to know anything except that the dude with the hat is good at solving puzzles. As for the length, I'm not finished yet, but every Layton game so far was about 15 hours +, and this looks to be the same.

Playing this reminds me how awkward it feels holding the Nintendo 3DS though. I don't know why it's so different from the original DS / DSi but I never feel comfortable holding that thing. Also, I often accidentally touch the 3D slider which is annoying as hell.

Effect

Yeah, you don't really need to know anything except that the dude with the hat is good at solving puzzles. As for the length, I'm not finished yet, but every Layton game so far was about 15 hours +, and this looks to be the same.

Playing this reminds me how awkward it feels holding the Nintendo 3DS though. I don't know why it's so different from the original DS / DSi but I never feel comfortable holding that thing. Also, I often accidentally touch the 3D slider which is annoying as hell.

Great thanks.

Do the games tend to have replay value? Would a digital purchase be a good idea or wasted? I could go either way at this point.

Oxx

The technique I used to hold the DSi is a no-go considering the girth and weight of the 3DSXL.

jgkspsx

Do the games tend to have replay value? Would a digital purchase be a good idea or wasted? I could go either way at this point.

I wouldn't go digital. There is continued downloadable puzzle-of-the-day, but it's better to pick them up in batches because most don't last long. The main game isn't very replayable at all.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Finally got around to finishing this game. I laughed heartily when (end game spoilers)
they revealed Angela was Descole in disguise and that Angela was disguised as the other guy. I was disappointed that The Masked Gentleman reveal was so obvious, but having those somewhat improbable costumes made my day. Oh, this series.

Oxx

I've always been of the opinion that it is the story and characters that keep me coming back to the series, and that I wouldn't want to play a Layton game that is just puzzles followed-by puzzles.

However, I just chose to run-through 30 of the daily puzzles rather than continue with the early hours of the main game.

Now I don't know what to believe.

EulaCapra

I have yet to touch Miracle Mask but finished Last Specter recently and wow... can't say I had even the slightest of clues for that plot twist that came out of left field. That was... something alright.

I can't do the Perilous Voyage daily puzzles AT ALL.

I don't know what's wrong with me.

They took me a while to grasp, I think it's that each square has to be filled so you can actually put down more rocks than you may initially think as long as it doesn't clash with the sign post guidelines.

Oxx

I think I'll head back to the main game in shame. Just starting the third chapter. Still really liking it.

jgkspsx

The daily puzzles are great. This game is great. It should be the most successful Layton, but it probably won't be.

Kazerei

Banned
It's been a month since I played this game, so I just popped it in and downloaded a bunch of DLC puzzles. Feels awesome.

Artemisia

Banned
Just rushing through the second half of the last specter to get started on this.

why did Loosha have to die? I'm crying so much right now

Katzii

The daily puzzles are great. This game is great. It should be the most successful Layton, but it probably won't be.

It won't be because everyone is bashing it without trying it purely because it's on a 3DS and, being such loyal Nintendo consumers (the ones who bought a DS for the likes of Layton and Brain Training), refuse to buy a brand new system for one game. They'll just wait for the inevitable "normal" version instead.

Also, I've now been personally called out on Amazon, as well as been named the most unpleasant arrogant person this "reviewer" has met on Amazon.

GSR

Started this yesterday. After Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney it feels so strange; the visual style's way more cartoony, and the investigation controls are way worse in my opinion (in PLvsAA you can investigate via circle pad/buttons, and you don't need to tap an icon to investigate, plus the map screen shows how many hint coins are in an area.)

Puzzles are as fun as ever, though.

Oxx

I really like the setting, but the puzzles are starting to sap my enthusiasm at around 14 hours in. Shame.

Oxx

The good thing about Layton threads is that it doesn't take too long to go back and read through spoiler posts after seeing the ending.

My thoughts after finishing the game are pretty similar to those I expressed after 14 hours in my previous post. I really loved the setting, the characters, the music, the story, the presentation, but I was suffering serious Layton puzzle fatigue in the second half of the game. Even gameplay twists eventually felt drawn-out and labourious.

I'll still be back to finish the saga, though.

My thoughts after finishing the game are pretty similar to those I expressed after 14 hours in my previous post. I really loved the setting, the characters, the music, the story, the presentation, but I was suffering serious Layton puzzle fatigue in the second half of the game. Even gameplay twists eventually felt drawn-out and labourious.
Same here. I still like the series and I'll definitely get the sixth game eventually, but I think it's going to be the first one that I don't buy at launch because I need a serious break from Layton for a good long while. I appreciated that they tried to break up the monotony a bit w/Chapter Six, but the controls were so clunky and they spent nearly as much time explaining how to play the chapter as they did just letting you play it, so I ended up finding it to be the most tedious part of the game overall.

Oxx

I was hoping chapter 6 was going to be 5 levels. I just used the guide-arrows after that point.

It was so refreshing to start with but it left a bad taste in my mouth. Same with the
Reunion Inn
section.

Oxx

The ending was probably the most plausible finale the series has seen.

The post-credit sequence brought back some of the silliness.

Smellycat

I just wanted to bump the thread to see if anyone else is playing the daily puzzles. There are about 112 puzzles so far. All of the categories are now unlocked they are really fun.

jgkspsx

There are two I haven't been able to solve, but I've been firing it up once a week and bingeing. They're really great puzzles.

Videoneon

I just got to Chapter 6 / Akbadain. Apparently I'm in for a not too pleasant experience? =\ I have been mashing A through the instructions.

braves01

Banned
I just wanted to bump the thread to see if anyone else is playing the daily puzzles. There are about 112 puzzles so far. All of the categories are now unlocked they are really fun.

Yep. Counts at 115 and I've done 100. I don't get the boat mini game though...

Man, every once in a while I get this crazy Layton itch. I really don't care for puzzles at all, and yet this series' charm and atmosphere just beckon to me. We'll see how long I hold out for.

Oxx

I just got to Chapter 6 / Akbadain. Apparently I'm in for a not too pleasant experience? =\ I have been mashing A through the instructions.

Just start using the hint system once you start getting bored. I think it's only one hint coin per level.

corn_fest

So apparently a "Plus" version of this game was made available on the JP eShop on the 6th, with more cutscenes and puzzles, as well as a third save slot (the original JP version only had two).
Anyone know if this is an "international" release of the NA/EU version, or if this is coming overseas? Someone on GameFAQs was saying they saw stuff in a trailer for it that wasn't in the NA release at all. It'll be a shame to miss out on new content :(

jgkspsx

I liked that section. There's a walkthrough for all rooms so no reason for frustration.

I enjoyed that section a lot and didn't ever start to get stuck. This thread keeps reminding me how much more I enjoyed this than any other Layton, waggle horses aside.

Smellycat

So apparently a "Plus" version of this game was made available on the JP eShop on the 6th, with more cutscenes and puzzles, as well as a third save slot (the original JP version only had two).
Anyone know if this is an "international" release of the NA/EU version, or if this is coming overseas? Someone on GameFAQs was saying they saw stuff in a trailer for it that wasn't in the NA release at all. It'll be a shame to miss out on new content :(

o_O

finally finished this great game. Probably liked Layton 4 a tiny bit more but still really great. Ending credits cutscene looked very promising, could be right up there with Layton 1&3

probably goes 1 >3 > 4 >5 >>>>>>>2 for me

Smellycat

This is really weird. I just finished the new daily puzzle, and I had to pick a piece of furniture to add to the room. But the thing is that I already had that item (sink). What is weird is that the item was added to my room is if I never had one in the first place. Wtf

nacimento

Finished it. Probably my number two after Mysterious Village.

Didn't like the ending though. So corny. "Oh, we've waited for you to give you everything, we're not even really married!"

Does anyone know what i have to do to get the last 4 profiles?

Abandond

If I buy the game now, can I download all of the previous daily puzzles? I want to get into the series but I havent played any of the other games yet.

Man, I love Layton games, and I know they always have ridiculous endings, but this had to be the ending I was actually most annoyed by. Everyone's a jerk, and everything was made possible by the power of bromance.

ENDING SPOILERS
Descole in disguise as Angela is ridiculous. How good are the disguises in the Laytonverse anyway?

If Henry was so hardcore about finding Randall that he literally built an entire city for the man, fake married Angela, and lied to a good friend (Layton) about the true nature of the place, WHY COULDN'T HE FIND RANDALL IN THE VILLAGE DOWN THE ROAD? Tanned, red haired boy with glasses is kind of a rare look in the Laytonverse.

Layton's always an ass and doesn't explain anything to Luke or Emmy, Henry and Dalston could have explained what was going on, and for being a fantastic puzzle solver, Layton never thought something was odd about Bloom? I do like the addition of Bloom's boss though, I suspect it'll be him versus Descole (not really a bad guy) and Layton in the next game.

I'm new to 3DS and just finished this game and really enjoyed it. I've done everything so far except for the rabbit stuff, and the daily puzzles.
The story went all topsy turvy at the end, but I didn't mind it all that much. I do find Randal's devotion a little hard to swallow, but those ridiculous mask reveals kind of overshadowed it. I didn't mind the Akbadain section, though I wouldn't have complained if it were one or two floors shorter.

I was going to pick up the 6th Layton game, but since I've only played the first two Layton games, I'll probably go back and pick up the DS games I missed first. It'd be nice to finish the first trilogy, and play the start of the second before finishing out the series altogether.

However in the meantime I picked up Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney because it was super cheap and holy cow is it ever a graphical improvement. I've barely begun the game but the models are absolutely gorgeous. I hope Layton 6 is build on the same engine.

Top Bottom