• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton and The Miracle Mask |OT| This Is Another Layton Game (But In 3D)

That Sears link is showing Layton as selling for $40 when I view it.

Unfortunately, that does appear to be the case. Sear's website appears to be rather glitchy, though. The seller for the $40 copy is some place called GizmosForLife. When I search Sears.com, however, I can see the $20 price still posted.

I'm gonna try and give Best Buy a go. Hopefully they'll honor the $20 price. (Might call up my local Sears as well and see what they say.)

Okay, I have encountered an interesting problem...

I'm pretty good at losing track of simple details, so please bear with me. Where do I find puzzle 44? I was able to get puzzle 43 at the City Hall steps from the officer or the grosky uber fan, then when I was making my way to the museum I got the puzzle from Artie and one of the pictures in the zoom in section. But those are puzzles 45 and 46 I think. So I think along the way there I missed it, but I've scanned mostly everything I could in each area along the way there. Have I missed it already? Is it a puzzle that's off the route given by the plot or can I get it later with out having to go to Granny Riddleton?

Got it! ^_^

Just a heads-up for anyone wanting the $20 deal: The Sears website is a bit off. For some reason you can't order the $20 copy. However, if you call in, or go into the store, you can get it.
You can also go to Best Buy or any other place with a Competitor Price Match policy and have them search for the game on Sears's website. They'll first see the $20 copy in the search results, and will use that price as the one to match. If they don't, you can tell them to call Sears like I did, and they will verify that the price is $20.

I don't know how long this sale is gonna last, but I really hope everyone gets a chance to take advantage of it! Good luck! :)

Drago

A question about Picarats... what do they even do, and is there any way to earn back the ones you lose when you get a puzzle wrong the first time?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
A question about Picarats... what do they even do, and is there any way to earn back the ones you lose when you get a puzzle wrong the first time?

Picarats unlock extra stuff, but don't worry - while there is no way to win them back (other than cheating - saving the game before you attempt a puzzle and reloading it if you fail), the levels for unlocking are sufficiently low that you can fail lots of times and still get everything.

At least, that's the case with the earlier Layton games.

zroid

Banned
Finally finished Last Specter so I'll be diving into Miracle Mask tonight. Hype is elevated! I missed 9 puzzles and didn't do any of the extra trunk stuff, but can't resist moving onto the next chapter, especially in glorious 3D.

Such a shame there's no StreetPass implementation, the foibles of being a launch title. I'm sure Layton 6 will do something interesting.

They unlock stuff in the bonus menu. Reloading after giving a wrong answer is the only way to not lose any.

MLH

In the previous games they are used to unlock artwork and music and cut-scenes at the end of the game.

disco

I got one too! I tried the website 2 minutes after they sent the email asking me to claim the tag and it wouldn't load but just tried it again now and things seem to have calmed down. Woo! Free stuff to my pile of free videogame stuff that I won't ever use... :3

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
In other news, the Daily Puzzles now download! I now have six puzzles on my system.

It's strange, I tried earlier today and nothing...

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Layton in the goddamned house

...but I need to finish Pokemon Black 2 first. And by the time I do, my sister will crash home and borrow my copy for a month

Fuck

zroid

Banned
I put myself on hiatus from Pokemon, haha. I got the first badge, but I know once I start getting really into it, it'll just consume my soul until 150+ hours have passed and I get burned out.

I think I'll save those fun and games for the December drought. :)

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I put myself on hiatus from Pokemon, haha. I got the first badge, but I know once I start getting really into it, it'll just consume my soul until 150+ hours have passed and I get burned out.

I think I'll save those fun and games for the December drought. :)

hehe, maybe I will. I got the sixth badge so far, game is devastatingly addictive as usual, I just know I won't be able to put it down until it's finished

but I fear my sister

Glass Joe

In other news, the Daily Puzzles now download! I now have six puzzles on my system.

It's strange, I tried earlier today and nothing...

It only started working for me yesterday and it downloaded the first 3 (Oct 28, 29, and 30, I assume). So I figured I'd download today's and it's not there. I'm not terribly concerned but it's still a bit wonky, I guess.

duckroll

Played about an hour so far. Not sure if I'm really feeling it yet. I might want to take it slow this time, but I think the fatigue is starting to creep in after 4 previous games. Everything is so familiar, predictable, and I think it's starting to lose a bit if charm. This must be what playing CoD every year is like... lol.

piteru

Banned
about the daily puzzles:
ive downloaded all the puzzles up to day 30/10
Has anybody downloaded the puzzles for 31/10 and 1/11?

Is this story stand-alone? I want to play this but the last PL game I played was pandoras box!

From what I've heard, yes, it is.

However, it is second game in the prequel Trilogy, meaning it actually takes place before Pandora's Box. You shouldn't be missing too much by not playing the first game in this trilogy, The Spectre's Call before the Miracle Mask. Just don't be surprised when a few characters are different :)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Played about an hour so far. Not sure if I'm really feeling it yet. I might want to take it slow this time, but I think the fatigue is starting to creep in after 4 previous games. Everything is so familiar, predictable, and I think it's starting to lose a bit if charm. This must be what playing CoD every year is like... lol.

I felt the same way with the Ace Attorney games after the first. Thankfully with this being my first Layton, it all feels fresh.

Has anyone that purchased the game from the eShop received an e-mail from Nintendo about the Donkey Kong download confirming you'll be receiving it in 3-4 weeks?

duckroll

Is this story stand-alone? I want to play this but the last PL game I played was pandoras box!

All the Layton stories are "stand alone" but they also follow a continuity. So if you're just playing for the actual mystery in a particular game, it's fine, but you might not get the full story on the main character relationships and so on. Depends on how important that stuff is to you I guess.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Welp. I think I might have officially turned into a Layton whore.

*goes to watch Eternal Diva on youtube*

Hopefully when I'll get home from work Layton will have arrived. Although Newegg only shipped it yesterday because of Sandy :(

BriBri

Completed this evening. I'll keep quiet about the story! My first Layton game. Hoping Level-5 will compile the DS games into one 3DS cart like the Inazuma games.

Does anyone know how to get this stupid rabbit to learn more tricks?
You have to talk to it every once in awhile, but you don't have to talk to it all the time. The bunny usually starts learning more tricks after you finish a show, but if it has a talk bubble with a scribble in it, that's usually when it will learn a new trick as well. The bunny shows are usually given the further along you progress through the game, and I've found no indication that you can grind for new tricks (I've filled Luke's journal on bunny tricks now, and this is over the course of ~10 hours).

Once Luke adds a new move to the journal, you have to look into it and see if it's a move that the bunny already knows. If not, there's usually a question mark on it and it'll be pretty direct in telling you how to get the bunny to do the trick in training. You only have to do it once to make the bunny remember, after that it'll be able to use the trick in the plays.

Do you have the pal version?mine is stuck with the first 5 puzzles,and when I try to download,it tells me that my list is already up to date... What am I doing wrong :/
Yeah, I'm playing the German version. You're probably not doing anything wrong, though. I bet it's just Nintendo messing up again.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
This game is so fun. I just completed chapter 1 and I did all of the DLC puzzles so far. Having only ever played Curious Village, I'm liking Miracle Mask a lot.

Drago

So I'm some ways into Chapter 2, and I'm LOVING this game so far. I've been missing out with this series!

Will definitely look into the DS titles whenever I finish this one.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Usually I suck at Professor Layton games...

But I just downloaded this one (I have no room on my SD card though) and, well, I've done 13 puzzles so far and solved them all rather easily, without losing any picarats.

I think playing 999 and VRL recently have boosted my puzzle solving skills (although I'd say Professor Layton probably beats the puzzles in those games)

axisofweevils

There's an official apology from Nintendo due to the Daily Puzzle download issue...

We would like to apologise to all players of Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask who were unable to use the Daily Puzzles feature that offers one additional puzzle on a daily basis for a whole year from the day of the game’s launch on October 26th, 2012.

A technical issue prevented customers from downloading the Daily Puzzles, but today we can confirm that after investigating the issue we have now resolved it. We would like to assure players of the game that this issue has not caused them to miss out on any content, as when the player chooses to download the Daily Puzzles at any point after launch, all previously released puzzles are saved to the SD Card.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB...and_the_miracle_mask_now_available_55356.html

Kazerei

Banned
I finished the story earlier today. Really enjoyed it. Probably my favorite Layton, but the puzzles were a bit weak IMO. Now I just have to do all the mini-games and bonus puzzles and such.

protonion

One minor issue I have is that they don't explain the solution in detail after you solve a puzzle like in the previous games.

I just did the puzzle with the 4 golfers and got it wrong on my first try. I wanted to see the logic behind it but it wasn't there. Maybe there is in the hints but I prefer they way they did it before.

BowieZ

Banned
They didn't always explain the solution in the past [two games], either. Sometimes it was just "Good job!" or "That's right!" or an amusing addendum to the puzzle's scenario.

MNC

Without spoiling ANYTHING, how is the story? I hear alot of "story's subpar, twist is seen miles ahead" that kind of stuff, which is a shame cos i love the crazy twists the games sometimes have

I'm not done with the game yet, but so far the story is pretty much in the middle for me. Definitely above the Diabolical Box and Last Specter, but below the other two. That might change depending on how the ending turns out to be. I do think it's rather obvious what is going on, but I might be wrong.

Lusankya

Without spoiling ANYTHING, how is the story? I hear alot of "story's subpar, twist is seen miles ahead" that kind of stuff, which is a shame cos i love the crazy twists the games sometimes have

The story surely isn't about any twists, because it's kind of clear what happens. It's still a very nice story, though. Much better than PL4.

Kazerei

Banned

I actually liked that the story is more straightforward and less ridiculous compared to other Layton stories.

The story is kind of obvious this time- I certainly guessed the culprit after the first two chapters- but, to a certain extent, that's more satisfying than some of the past scenarios. Certainly no one's guessing what happens in Pandora's Box or The Spectre's Call before it happens, simply because those plot twists are out of nowhere and are batshit crazy. Miracle Mask's plot is straightforward, satisfying and, yeah, pretty emotional at the end.

Loved the gameplay towards the end.
Traversing the ruins of Akbadain was really cool. Judging by the cliffhanger ending and the fact that the next game is called the Azran Legacies, I'm hoping that we'll see more similar stuff next time out.

The insanity of the twist in Unwound Future is what made that game my favorite in the series. I loved how they explained something physically impossible with something practically impossible. Plus, a huge robot.
But I agree that the more restrained approach of Miracle Mask has its charm, too.

Top Bottom