• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton and The Miracle Mask |OT| This Is Another Layton Game (But In 3D)

So anyone else have any kryptonite puzzles in these games? telling me to cut a piece of oddly shaped wood into two identical shapes is always one of my "good god no!" moments, the bloody chessboard one with a similar theme here divided into 4 was killing me even with the ruddy super hint, trying to visualize this stuff in my head damn near hurts.
Also Get the ball out and its many variations, they certainly earn their wages in hint coins.

Oh and anything maths because fuck maths.

I'm mostly disappointed in myself when I can't solve a math puzzle. Math is actually something I'm supposed to be pretty good at, but math puzzles always demolish the confidence I have in my skills. lol

also

Banned
The slide puzzles (get the ball out) are my weak point. I hope this game's final puzzle isn't yet another one of those.

The slide puzzles (get the ball out) are my weak point. I hope this game's final puzzle isn't yet another one of those.

There's been one like that in the museum. I usually trail and error my way through these puzzles. I still find them strangely satisfying, though. lol

It's the same with those cat/bunny puzzles where you have to color them by jumping over each other.

MNC

I have never used a single hint coin in a layton game. I keep on moving them slides in the slidepuzzles to get them balls out, but I shall never use a hint coin.

zroid

Banned
I mostly just use hint coins on the annoying puzzles that require you to make some esoteric connection. Can't stand those.

Also the few with ambiguous wording. One is too many.

M3d10n

The insanity of the twist in Unwound Future is what made that game my favorite in the series. I loved how they explained something physically impossible with something practically impossible. Plus, a huge robot.
But I agree that the more restrained approach of Miracle Mask has its charm, too.

I didn't reach the end yet, but it's obvious to guess who the Masked Gentlemen as early as the trailers for the game. However, at least up to where I am in the game, the story is more interesing about the people involved than the twist itself, which makes it feel more of a human story.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I mostly just use hint coins on the annoying puzzles that require you to make some esoteric connection. Can't stand those.

Also the few with ambiguous wording. One is too many.

Haven't had to use those yet. I'm going to try not to but we'll see lol.

I'm on chapter 2 now - chapter 1 was fairly easy but I hear the Layton games all start off relatively easy.

also

Banned
Took over 6 hours to find one slide puzzle. Seems Level 5 listened to the complaints.

There's been one like that in the museum. I usually trail and error my way through these puzzles. I still find them strangely satisfying, though. lol

It's the same with those cat/bunny puzzles where you have to color them by jumping over each other.
That's great news.

I have never used a single hint coin in a layton game. I keep on moving them slides in the slidepuzzles to get them balls out, but I shall never use a hint coin.
The hints are mostly useless or just trivia.

Kazerei

Banned
Finished all the puzzles in the game, woohoo! I'll probably put this game away for now, and come back in a few months to download a bunch of bonus puzzles.

Katzii

Slidey puzzles are the worst for me! That and ones which require "tough maths" or trying to see things from other perspectives.

So a fair few. But I love the series all the same!

Neiteio

Tempted to dive into the Layton series with this installment, but a question about the post-launch DLC puzzles Nintendo will release once a day for 365 days: When do they start, and do you have to download each one each day, or can you go back to download one if you miss it the first day it comes out?

limlark

Do you have the pal version?mine is stuck with the first 5 puzzles,and when I try to download,it tells me that my list is already up to date... What am I doing wrong :/
This is still happening to me, except I only have the first three. Does anyone have any wisdom on this?

Neiteio

I'd like to know how the one-a-day downloadable puzzles work. Also, any impressions of the digital version of Layton? Is this a good game to download to one's system? How much space does it take up on the SD card?

Kazerei

Banned
Tempted to dive into the Layton series with this installment, but a question about the post-launch DLC puzzles Nintendo will release once a day for 365 days: When do they start, and do you have to download each one each day, or can you go back to download one if you miss it the first day it comes out?

When I first connected, I got 4 or 5 puzzles at once. So I don't think you actually have to connect once a day for 365 days.

Neiteio

When I first connected, I got 4 or 5 puzzles at once. So I don't think you actually have to connect once a day for 365 days.
Hmm, I wonder how it works then... Also, anyone want to vouch for this as a digital title? How much space does it take on the SD card? Seems like it might be a nice game to have on the system itself.

BowieZ

Banned
Not sure if already mentioned (avoiding spoilers) but the Toy Robot minigame is awesome!! And it has a world map!!

Edited - as I just realised almost everyone in this thread is talking with capital letters in full gentleman style; I don't want to come off like some plebeian commoner.

duckroll

Slidey puzzles are the worst for me! That and ones which require "tough maths" or trying to see things from other perspectives.

So a fair few. But I love the series all the same!

Sliding block puzzles are the worst for me. Nothing else really is. I like the math puzzles, and the perspective ones are always a lot of fun. The logic puzzles with people lying or having incomplete information are awesome too. But sliding block puzzles? Noooooooooooo.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
So anyone else have any kryptonite puzzles in these games? telling me to cut a piece of oddly shaped wood into two identical shapes is always one of my "good god no!" moments, the bloody chessboard one with a similar theme here divided into 4 was killing me even with the ruddy super hint, trying to visualize this stuff in my head damn near hurts.
Also Get the ball out and its many variations, they certainly earn their wages in hint coins.

Oh and anything maths because fuck maths.

I just can't wrap my head around the "guess who's lying?" puzzles. You know, the ones where four people make statements and you have to figure out the one person telling the truth.

This kind of thing: A says B is lying. B says A is lying. C says he doesn't lie. D says A is telling the truth

I generally love solving puzzles, but those just drive me crazy.

Really looking forward to playing Miracle Mask. My Layton marathon is going well. I've just completed Pandora's Box and have now started Lost Future.

Kazerei

Banned
Hmm, I wonder how it works then... Also, anyone want to vouch for this as a digital title? How much space does it take on the SD card? Seems like it might be a nice game to have on the system itself.

I don't think there's anything unusual about how it works. When you connect, you'll be able to download all the previously released puzzles.

I got it off the E shop. Takes up a bit more than 6000 blocks, I don't know how much that is in real numbers. I'm rolling with a 32 gb card though, so space isn't really an issue for me.

Neiteio

I got it off the E shop. Takes up a bit more than 6000 blocks, I don't know how much that is in real numbers. I'm rolling with a 32 gb card though, so space isn't really an issue for me.
I'm using the 4GB that came with the XL. I'll upgrade the SD card at some point, but if I want to download the game in the meanwhile, I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how much space 6,000 blocks is.

Kazerei

Banned
I'm using the 4GB that came with the XL. I'll upgrade the SD card at some point, but if I want to download the game in the meanwhile, I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how much space 6,000 blocks is.

1 block is ~128 KB, so you're looking at ~750 MB

Neiteio

1 block is ~128 KB, so you're looking at ~750 MB
Ah, so just over half a gig. And I take it that if I download the game to my 4GB card now and get a larger card in the future, it's a simple matter of copy/pasting my SD card to a computer and then copy/pasting that to the new card?

So could someone who has finished it answer a few questions for me?
I'm at the zeldalike ruins exploration part in chapter 6...how much longer do I have to go? How many chapters are there? I just passed a point where I needed to have solved 50 puzzles to continue... if there is another point like that, what is the minimum number of puzzles you need to solve to beat the game?

Kazerei

Banned
Ah, so just over half a gig. And I take it that if I download the game to my 4GB card now and get a larger card in the future, it's a simple matter of copy/pasting my SD card to a computer and then copy/pasting that to the new card?

Yep.

I'm at the zeldalike ruins exploration part in chapter 6...how much longer do I have to go? How many chapters are there? I just passed a point where I needed to have solved 50 puzzles to continue... if there is another point like that, what is the minimum number of puzzles you need to solve to beat the game?

Hmm, I don't know the answer, but I can tell you
there are 135 puzzles total in the story.
So check the highest numbered puzzle you've solved, and that should indicate how far you are.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Yes. All DD stuff you have on your SD is crypto-signed for the particular 3ds. The card is just a generic FAT16/32 flash medium.

Blizzje

The Layton games are notorious for having dubs here in Holland, and I want the regular English version. If I were to order the game at a UK webstore, I trust the game will be in English? System Language is also on English but if the 3DS were to do an IP-check...

I just can't wrap my head around the "guess who's lying?" puzzles. You know, the ones where four people make statements and you have to figure out the one person telling the truth.

This kind of thing: A says B is lying. B says A is lying. C says he doesn't lie. D says A is telling the truth

I generally love solving puzzles, but those just drive me crazy.

Really looking forward to playing Miracle Mask. My Layton marathon is going well. I've just completed Pandora's Box and have now started Lost Future.

Funny that, those puzzles are the ones i'm best at, alongside similar ones with like 5 statements each and you have to work out a result by comparing them all.
Lost Future is the best by the way.

There are 8 chapters in total, 7 floors of the ruins, and I don't think that there are any minimum puzzle requirements from here on out.

Also, prepare tissues.

M3d10n

It's 790MBs, actually. Downloaded in 15 minutes for me.

piteru

Banned
Well the cut the shape puzzles always destroy my confidence (lol !) and I'll never get that damn ball out(double-lol) the game is a blast of course and I'm enjoying every single minute of it!

Neiteio

Downloaded Layton -and- NSMB2 to my 3DSXL, the first time I've gone DD. I figure Layton will have 365 additional puzzles over the course of the coming year, so may as well have it on the system, and NSMB2 is the sort of pick-up-and-play title perfect to always have handy. This also allows me to play these new games while keeping Revelations in the card slot for Raid sessions. Good stuff! Looking forward to playing Layton later; I just looked at the title screen and listened to the gorgeous music there. :)

3DS is such a goddamn awesome system.

Bog

Junior Ace
I thought the downloadable puzzles were daily? Why's it say I have them all with 3?

Kouriozan

This game is so much better than the others Layton in my opinion.
And the daily puzzle are way better too, I finished the 10 first one hoping for a second furniture, but still nothing! Can't wait for the others daily puzzle.

Finished the main game earlier today, well I can say that this seems to be the longest Layton game by quite a bit so no worries about getting your moneys worth.
I think this one slots in behind Lost Future as my second favourite entry in the series.

Changes to the visuals and interface when adventuring does a surprising amount to make this one feel sort of fresh despite being the 5th entry into a series where all the games are pretty similar, hint coins are more easily found with the magnifying glass though combing the screen with the stylus is still the order of the day.
It's also nice to see some good use of 3D, it seems like the last few 3DS games i've purchased sort of threw that feature on the backburner, but Layton ushers in the return in the "window world" where the screen can have noticeable depth to it, also dramatic finger pointing in 3D.
Characters make the most of their new three dimensional forms with a lot more animation, the downside to this seems to be a cut down in the number of npcs, not that this is too much of an issue but going through the profile section of some of the earlier games really shows the difference in character numbers.
Music is definitely Layton all right, that is to say Accordions everywhere once more, at this point all the themes across the games are slowly blending together, still good mind you but i'm not feeling any particular stand outs this time right now, i'll need to give the soundtrack a listen to, so basically i've got to get more picarats.

Puzzle difficulty fluctuates between being on the rather simple side of the first game to suddenly throwing the odd cryptic crisis at you, of course puzzle difficulty is pretty subjective, It think most people agree on Pandora's Box being the trickiest at least so I guess this one falls in line with the previous two games. Some puzzles seem a bit more dynamic making use of both varieties of 3D to either illustrate your puzzle progress or to make certain visuals pop (the one with the lines of flags leaps to mind here).
One thing I did like throughout all the puzzles were that recurring cast of characters that would frequently pop up as puzzle participants, pretty sure a few of them were background NPCs as well.

Three minigames once more, the robot is pretty good as is the shop but the Rabbit isn't very enjoyable at all, the strange mix of puzzling nintendogs doesn't do a lot for me.

Time to delve into spoiler territory with plot stuff.
*Plot spoilers for the entire game*
Jumping between Past and Present was actually a pretty gripping narrative hook for myself regardless of how obvious the past events would be as well as the identity of the mask gentleman himself. I find it a bit odd that someone like Randall would be so quick to become such a revenge craving grouch because of a letter of dubious origin, must've been a pretty convincing read. I find it funny how towards the end the characters are all like "we knew you would return someday Randall" meanwhile Layton spends most of the game with a case of "yep, he's definitely dead and it was all my fault".
Another Layton game and another improbable super disguise that gets rumbled with a sweeping finger point cutscene, it's like a running joke at this point, villains in the Layton world are masters of disguise to a ridiculous degree. But now we've got these other villains in the fray and they have like tanks and stuff and no doubt they will play a big role in the next game, meanwhile the final scene shows that Descole's butler is a freaking machine, that old codger runs fast.

Chapter 6 had an interesting gameplay shift but it began to really drag about midway through, there's only so much tedious block pushing I can take before I get really tired of it, Randall is also a blithering idiot for numerous reasons, I can't say I have much sympathy for him in both the circumstances surrounding his assumed demise nor his end game redemption. Still an enjoyable story though, delving into Layton's own past works well, I hope Emmy has a bigger part in the next one as coming to think of it I don't know much about her and I assume she'll be dropping out once Layton 6 is done.
The ending was decent but it still cannot match up to the gentlemanly tears that came with Lost Future.

Layton's fantasy Blighty is all sorts of classic, a desert around here? not in this day and age, well I guess there's Dungeness but that's not the same. I did enjoy the glitzy locale that was Monte d'Or, a step up from the pleasant but sort of bland Misthallery.

So yeah another year, another Layton and this is one of the better ones.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
out of curiosity I was checking amazon.uk reviews and there are six 1-star ones. How the hell is that possible? So I read 'em and they're all about how Nintendo is a horribly greedy company for putting this game on the 3DS instead of the DS, how surprised were people to find out the DS can't read a 3DS cart and how children cried because Nintendo is the devil

seriously, what the flying fuck

zroid

Banned
out of curiosity I was checking amazon.uk reviews and there are six 1-star ones. How the hell is that possible? So I read 'em and they're all about how Nintendo is a horribly greedy company for putting this game on the 3DS instead of the DS, how surprised were people to find out the DS can't read a 3DS cart and how children cried because Nintendo is the devil

oh, amazon user reviews...

one (small) step above Metacritic user reviews

This sounds like a puzzle.

Gaf Puzzle 01
Angry Amazons
25 Picarats

Six Amazon customers are disgruntled about the situation surrounding Professor Layton and the miracle mask and have thrown out 1 star reviews.

Customer A: I have two disappointed teens! How dare Nintendo make this game require new hardware in this economic crisis.

Customer B: I can't get my daughter this game for Christmas, they need to make an ordinary version, GUTTED!

Customer C: It looks like my days of purchasing new games are gone, disgraceful Nintendo.

Customer D: I've been waiting SO LONG (what a year?) only to find out it's on the DS3?!

Customer E: Buyer Beware! They put a bump on top of the cart so you can't put it in a standard DS, how shady.

Customer F: I can't get the daily download to work, i'm upset as this is considered a selling point.

Can you figure out which one of these customers has actually played the game?

Hint Coin 1:
Read the description carefully

Hint Coin 2:
DS3 is an anagram of something but what could it mean?

Hint Coin 3:
There seems to be a link between 5 of the customers, so whoever falls outside the pattern must be the one.

Super Hint:
F actually has a 3DS and is talking about the game itself, it may just be this chap.

Any challengers?

Hobohodo

Yah know what, I'm not suprised in the slightest. The amount of people who are realising at the till that this is 3DS only is amazing. I guess it's the first big game that a lot of causals would buy to be released exclusively on the 3DS.

Finally got this yesterday and started playing it. Logged about 4 hours or so.

I really like the examination/exploration this time around so it doesn't turn into a tapathon. Although if you have multiple nodes on the map you should be able to click on any one of them.

dat good Layton feeling where you just can't stop

Top Bottom