• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 announced

Good to hear, im really enjoying Project Cars and I'm excited for their future projects.

That being said, it does feel fast, especially for someone who has only been there since final release.

What, you think that the 100 devs just sit at their desks browsing the web for a year before starting work again after shipping a game? If you don't want to have to lay off your staff you gotta keep them occupied.

Aww, this was the main reason I wanted to become a dev..

Doesn't surprise me really, most sequels start development before the previous game even ships, with crowdfunding you don't have the luxury of keeping the game a secret for several years though.

_machine

pCARs 1 needs tons of content to be a game IMO.
They need to do a lot of fixes too.
Content? It's already got more tracks than any of it's competitors and it's got more cars than most codemasters games and I'd say the career is really extensive. Especially on consoles it does need plenty of support though, which is what they are doing.

Those waiting for pCARS2 over 1, prepare for a long wait. pCARS started after shipping NFS: Shift 2 in early 2011 and my first post at WMD was 21-10-2011. So yeah, even though it will and should have a tighter dev cycle, don't expect it to hit the market before end of 2017/18.

Certinty

Wow, that sounds bloody incredible.

The first game is absolutely amazing as well, will definitely get this on its release as well.

I expect that from AAA companies, not a crowdfunded game.

Well I guess the logic is that they have salaries to pay, offices to rent.

Supporting the current game will provide work for a large number of people, but to get the ball rolling successfully for PC2, I guess it has to be done simultaneously. I mean, they could literally be at the concept stage at this moment.

Krejlooc

Banned
I liked Project CARS a lot

but man this is way too quick. I don't mind a sequel being in the works, but I'd imagine a lot of on-the-fence buyers of Project CARS would now rather wait for the sequel, even if it's probably 2 years off.

Megasoum

Banned
I totally understand people who paid 60$ a couple of months ago to think that asking for money right now is too early but keep in mind, the early backers paid for Project CARS a LONG time ago.

I paid my 60$ for pCARS in October 2011 so for me to pay another 60$ right now totally makes sense.

aliengmr

This seems fucked up. No reason for me to buy Project Cars now.
I thought they would build on this game as a platform, not "abandon" it right away.
And no, it doesn't matter if they will continue to support the game, nobody knows for how long.

Isn't that true for every game?

Most of these decisions are made without the public at large knowing about it. What are they supposed to do, commit their entire staff to a game that is already released? That's not how it works.

Companies like SMS, that have their own IP and fund their own development have to move their resources on to the next game or start laying people off.

5taquitos

Nearly every developer starts their next project right after the first ships (or even before), they just don't say anything about it. Of course, that's one of the benefits of a publisher; you don't have to drum up funding from your audience to begin work on the next project. This puts SMS in a tough spot, because on one hand the entire team can't work on bug-fixes and post-release content and so naturally will begin work on the sequel, but on the other hand they need to secure funding so that they can continue to exist.

Obviously announcing this early is a risky move, and is already seeing a lot of backlash. I can't help but think if they had just held off announcing sequel work until winter, it would have been better received, but maybe their well is already drying up.

Well I guess the logic is that they have salaries to pay, offices to rent.

Supporting the current game will provide work for a large number of people, but to get the ball rolling successfully for PC2, I guess it has to be done simultaneously. I mean, they could literally be at the concept stage at this moment.

Couldn't they have done that creating expansions or huge content packs for the first game instead? This announcement just feels wrong to me. I'll give a personal example: I skip the first hunting game in a series because they always create a new, improved one the next year. While PC will not be yearly, I don't have faith to buy the game (or the second one), because who knows for how long will they support that? Saying "Hey, we'll support it, don't worry" are mere words, when they haven't even officially canceled a version or finished the bugs with the first.

Magitex

Obviously announcing this early is a risky move, and is already seeing a lot of backlash. I can't help but think if they had just held off announcing sequel work until winter, it would have been well-received, but maybe their well is already drying up.
Less of a risky move, more of a straight up damaging one.

Personally I would have been 10x happier had they decided to crowdfund an expansion, rather than work on an entirely new title. Not a fan of segregated games, particularly racing ones.

Id like to see the menus, and career better fleshed out.

I also want more livelier tracks. One thing I really appreciate about DriveClub is the tracks are alive with lights, and nice backgrounds.

disap.ed

I expect that from AAA companies, not a crowdfunded game.

They have about 100 mouths to feed, what do you expect? That they will sit on their asses for a year and only watch how things are going with the first one?

Project CARS will come out in 2-3 years, of course they have to start now, that's just how development circles work.
Will you not buy FIFA16 because when it releases you already know that there will be a FIFA17?

artsi

Those features like matchmaking are something that should be worked to the original game if it really was a platform with continuous support. Not buying another one for sure.

Magitex

Those features like matchmaking are something that should be worked to the original game if it really was a platform with continuous support. Not buying another one for sure.
It's likely that we won't get to see these improvements now that there is a second title in the works and that's the most frustrating thing.

_machine

I paid my 60$ for pCARS in October 2011 so for me to pay another 60$ right now totally makes sense.
Yeah, I can hardly believe it's been nearly four years since I joined and let's not forget that project actually started much earlier that year, could've been march when I first heard the "I have a cunning plan...".

I also have to say that I feel a bit down from the reaction, mostly for us the members that want to be there early. I was there in 2011 and I want to be early this time to really see everything from build zero to the final build; game development is an extreme, crazy, tough, gruelling, yet a powerful and amazing process. Last time we got in at build 70 something, this time we can get there right from the start (as unimpressive as it was, I played it for like 2 minutes before getting bored).

Also, please, please watch Extra Credits - Pre-Production Problem before saying it's too early from a development perspective. It is not.

Also worth noting, pCARS 1 members knew that there was going to be a sequel at some point years ago. There are serious limits as to what can be truly achieved with post-launch support, especially for a small non-first party studio.

Are they going to be crowd funding this one or not?

I can see them just quickly farting out a Project Cars 2 that isnt crowd funded just so they can have a clean break from the weird investor model they had with the first game and no more profit sharing with backers.

"finished" is a pretty nebulous term these days when post-launch support is expected.

Fact is, Project CARS is a complete game. You can buy it, and never connect to the internet again, and play a full game.

If that's your definition of a complete game, then yeah I guess it's finished. I'm looking at the feature list for this sequel and wondering why it isn't in the "finished" game I just paid $60 for.

PtM

Banned
Goddamn Wikipedia, all I want is a date when WMD for PC1 had started. One job! I think it'd turn some heads on this thread…

5taquitos

I can see them just quickly farting out a Project Cars 2 that isnt crowd funded just so they can have a clean break from the weird investor model they had with the first game and no more profit sharing with backers.

It will be crowd-funded, you can already pledge. That's the whole reason it was announced so early.

disap.ed

Again, the successor is at least 2 years away. Backers of the first one will get a slice of the profits for the first 2 years. Everything is fine.

PCars is awesome. I enjoy it. I wish them the best. It is a bit too focused on racing for me. I am one of those people that love the cars and the engines and the tracks but follow no organized racing of any kind.

The series looks like it is about to make that jump that many sports games decided to make around the early 2000's. Where knowing how the sport operates becomes just as important as knowing how the game is played.

I want the physics but I am not interested in a race that has that many steps. I don't care about standardized car settings to ensure that all times are on an even keel with other players. I will never play one of these, online. The times are for my benefit only. My free practice times are not even recorded but I get to see the name of some asshole and their time, every time I go into practice.

AC is just so much easier to be played as a driving sandbox.

Like I said, the game is quality and is the only title of 2015 that I have purchased and can honestly say that I am happy with but I see where they are going with this. I am going to have to care about Autosport as opposed to just caring about cars to enjoy it.

Again, the successor is at least 2 years away. Backers of the first one will get a slice of the profits for the first 2 years. Everything is fine.

Oh ok.

My brain automatically went to "thats weird. They must be screwing people over somehow" so that is good news.

_machine

If that's your definition of a complete game, then yeah I guess it's finished. I'm looking at the feature list for this sequel and wondering why it isn't in the "finished" game I just paid $60 for.
Well they also more than doubled the amount of planned content for release at first (insider link, sorry): http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthre...ing-a-different-game/page43&p=71945#post71945

They also "achieved" the vision of the game and got most of the planned features in (game design is an organic process after all). The game did lack polish I'll more than you give you that, especially on the consoles it seems, but for me it's a finished game and definitely my favorite racing game of the decade.
Oh ok.

My brain automatically went to "thats weird. They must be screwing people over somehow" so that is good news.
Well I should mention that a lot of us WMD members pushed it to start as early as possible for us (I don't count myself in for that push though). It's a very much community driven thing still.

So you're telling me daily builds of Project Cars 2 will be available in the same year as the release of the first game? Then why should I get PC1?

_machine

So you're telling me daily builds of Project Cars 2 will be available in the same year as the release of the first game? Then why should I get PC1?
Because the game is well over 2 years away and the build zero is nigh-unplayable, offers no fun and it will be far from the game that pCARS is now well into 2016. That's game development for you.

artsi

It's likely that we won't get to see these improvements now that there is a second title in the works and that's the most frustrating thing.

Absolutely, there's no incentive to add those now when they're on the sequel roadmap.

I feel like Arma 3 has spoiled me, with new notable features coming up now almost 2 years after release, a large expansion coming in 2016 and no sequel in sight.

I am pretty sure that Project CARS 2 was confirmed in development awhile ago. We had a thread about it, but it was just a forum post by the developers or something.

This news makes me less interested in picking up the first game. Figured I'd give it a wide berth to get plenty of patches in, but if they're going to shift focus to a sequel I'm less inclined to invest in the first one.

Top Bottom