• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 announced

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
holy shit at the projected trac k count. oh my god at loose surfaces!

pls clean up game one first tho.

Robcat

Banned
Most companies start working on the next game right after one is released. There just being completely transparent about what they are doing.

Spookie

This week one of AC's staff member tweeted about how many people work at racing studios (18 at his, 150 at milestone etc) and said that over 140 people work for Slightly Mad.

Today Ian Posted on VirtualR: "Everything hinted at for pCARS1 is coming. We have 40 staff on it."

That means already a vast majority of the staff have moved on to a new project when the game they released a month ago is still faulty. What a shower of money grubbing cunts.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Didn't Project Cars JUST come out after years of it being announced? I remember reading about it in 2013.

Yeah, it just came out in February or so. WTF, Slightly Mad?

disap.ed

This week one of AC's staff member tweeted about how many people work at racing studios (18 at his, 150 at milestone etc) and said that over 140 people work for Slightly Mad.

Today Ian Posted on VirtualR: "Everything hinted at for pCARS1 is coming. We have 40 staff on it."

That means already a vast majority of the staff have moved on to a new project when the game they released a month ago is still faulty. What a shower of money grubbing cunts.

So you want to say 40 people working on bugfixing and post-release content is a low number now?

_machine

You do know they also have World of Speed, which being paid by and being a live-service will easily take much more staff? And that 140 includes a ton of non-dev overhead (biz-dev, accounting, web admin etc.)

40 is plenty of developers, it's more than I remember being tied to for example Bioshock Minerva's Den.

aliengmr

This news makes me less interested in picking up the first game. Figured I'd give it a wide berth to get plenty of patches in, but if they're going to shift focus to a sequel I'm less inclined to invest in the first one.

Which is why when fans are kept out of the loop and aren't apprised of staffing changes. The assumption is the entire staff works on a game post release. Post release, staff is normally laid off unless another project is approved.

How is all of this suddenly a mystery?

Rivitur

Banned
Didn't Project Cars JUST come out after years of it being announced? I remember reading about it in 2013.
Well it was playable for years so it was kinda out for a while now unless you weren't a backer. They said they were going to work on 2 a few weeks ago, so this isn't surprising.

orava

So there is no point to buying Project CARS now? Even if they're updating the first one, why do I want to play that if a whole new version is coming out?

Project Cars was announced in 2011 and released 2015. They are making the sequel the same way with crowd sourcing support. It's not going to be released very soon but if you are a backer then you can have access during development phase. Some people in this thread are completely forgetting how the game was made and published.

_machine

Well it was playable for years so it was kinda out for a while now unless you weren't a backer. They said they were going to work on 2 a few weeks ago, so this isn't surprising.
October 2011 was when we got the first builds of the first game (it was already closing towards build 100 then and I just played build 0 of th sequel). The sequel was also known for years now, it was always planned as an IP, but still strong post-launch support.

Noshino

I totally understand people who paid 60$ a couple of months ago to think that asking for money right now is too early but keep in mind, the early backers paid for Project CARS a LONG time ago.

I paid my 60$ for pCARS in October 2011 so for me to pay another 60$ right now totally makes sense.

Its not about the backers, the backers are the hardcore fans, SMS had their support from early on, they are likely to stand around for longer.

SMS needs to lure the less hardcore crowd. To do that, you need to create value on your game. Nowadays that is done with post release patches and DLC.

"But they are doing that!" yes, but at the same time they already announced the next game of the series. To someone that hasn't been following the game and isn't likely to know that sequels usually start right after, it looks bad. Your game just lost a shit ton of value.

On top of that, this new game means that SMS is working on 3 games at the same time (unless they stopped working on WoS).

Do you really not see how that looks bad?

Megasoum

Banned

Yeah I'm sure that all those artists, sound engineers and track designers are real cunts for not fixing bugs in the first game.... WTF you even talking about dude?

Which is why when fans are kept out of the loop and aren't apprised of staffing changes. The assumption is the entire staff works on a game post release. Post release, staff is normally laid off unless another project is approved.
I've been following the project for a long time now, and its console release has been described as buggy and inconsistent. So I figured I'd wait for patches and improvements, as these kinds of racing games are perfect for being treated as a platform of continual development and I'm used to PC developed games having some issues transitioning to the consoles. Since they're shifting the bulk of their dev focus towards the sequel I'm assuming less ambition and support when it comes to the future of the current game.

But hey, they have all the time between now and the release of pCars 2 to show what I can truly expect from their post-release support. If the staff they've allotted to pCars 1 is enough it'll be clear to see.

Skii

Absolutely amateur to announce it now. You should give everyone at least a year to settle from the current release before announcing a new game in the franchise.

The Cowboy

Considering how the 1st released and the fact its still not what I'd call a finished product, i find it amazing they've announced the 2nd one so soon. No chance i will be putting anything towards Project Cars 2 until well after it comes out, I paid into the 1st game and as an AMD user i got burned badly - not doing that a 2nd time.

Megasoum

Banned
Absolutely amateur to announce it now. You should give everyone at least a year to settle from the current release before announcing a new game in the franchise.

FFS it's a crowdfunded game... You don't develop a crowdfunded game without doing the crowdfunding... You think that all the devs would just twiddle their thumbs for a year before starting the work on the sequel (to be released in 2-3 years btw) just because it would "Look bad"?

Come on

Edit: Also yeah totally, why would anybody buy Project CARS 1 when you could be playing the sequel right now!!!!!1!11!

Vanguard

I'm looking at their funding page, and it says their target budget is £7million, and they are so far at £271,575. With SMS Contributions at £250K, which I assume is the studio itself has put in that much?

shiyrley

Banned
Isn't this... you know... a bit too soon? lol

Also, they need community funding after already releasing the first game? Didn't they earn enough money to produce a sequel on their own? :/

Such a bad idea. Wayyy too early. And all this "what are the supposed to do, sit around" stuff being said is nonsense.

They can start working on the second game before telling everybody about it. They should've made a decent amount from the first one. Come the end of the year they could've announced what they have planned and prepared.

I get that they want to start the crowdfunding early but let the game you spent years working on have a proper release. Don't cloud it with your own follow up game. I bought the first one but I doubt I'll get the sequel.

_machine

Shouldn't they pay the backers of the original before asking for money?
Off to sleep, but developers don't normally get royalties from publisher in first 3 months unless self-publishing on few select platforms. They don't have the money yet.

Dilly

Banned
Shouldn't they pay the backers of the original before asking for money?

They will once they receive their own cut at the end of the financial quarter.

Don't know yet if I'm funding again, might just wait until release now there is no money to be gained. I doubt they're going to reach 7 million by crowdfunding though.

R1CHO

Off to sleep, but developers don't normally get royalties from publisher in first 3 months unless self-publishing on few select platforms. They don't have the money yet.

I see now that this second crowdfunding thing it's just a normal kickstarter, there is no promise of economical return here.

I don't like it.

R1CHO

They will once they receive their own cut at the end of the financial quarter.

Don't know yet if I'm funding again, might just wait until release now there is no money to be gained. I doubt they're going to reach 7 million by crowdfunding though.

Thanks for the info.

Falchion

A lot of people have a problem with announcing this so soon but I don’t really mind. They’ve already promised continued support for the original with lots of DLC but they’re a small studio so they need to move on to the next major project as quickly as possible.

fresquito

People doesn't get what WMD is yet, I feel.

Project CARS 1 opened for members back in Oct 2011. We had access to an early pre-alpha build. I don't remember the exact number, but I can tell you it probably was between 50 and 100. the game released in 2015.

This time around we're getting build zero with todays joining. It means this is as early as it gets. Which means that the game will not be launching tomorrow, not a year from now, probably not even two years from now.

And the announcement needs to be done as early as possible because the more they start developing, the less input the comunity will have (it's easier and faster to develop something from scratch than rebuilding something). So this is why the very early announcement: to have evryone on board as soon as possible to have the best and more community driven development possible.

Start developing now, funding your own game and two years from now, when the game is one year away from releasse, open it for the community just because makes zero sense.

I¡m in again. I would recommend anybody intereste in the gaming industry, even if he doesn't like driving games, to join in. It's truely a very interesting and eye opener experience seeing devs working from inside.

Top Bottom