• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 discussion thread (provisional release date: Septemberish 2017)

Gestault

This video makes me want to go all out and get a VR headset and an expensive sim rig setup. That's crazy.

I'm dangerously close myself. I had bought a 1070 a while back knowing it was a good fit for VR, and I swapped out my G920 for my older Driving Force GT on my desk-mount (personal preference), and I'm sort of itching.

fresquito

In isolation I'd say yes, but in the grand scheme of things, no.

This video makes me want to go all out and get a VR headset and an expensive sim rig setup. That's crazy.
Hahaha. Sometimes I'm glad I have so severe eyesight problems I don't even consider VR an option for me. It is so expensive going VR right now.

Gestault

I have a question with something of a lead-in:

On the two wheels in my house (Driving Force GT and a G920), the force feedback and terrain rumble in something like RaceRoom feels a lot more nuanced than the original Project Cars. It's not about the "strength" of the feedback (which is the normal range for both, and I generally play between 75-80% of max), but how many more subtle and even some not-so-subtle elements come across via the feel of the wheel.

First question: Is that considered a common experience/conclusion?

Second Question: How has the feel of the wheel at PC2 events compared to the original game?

The pre-order is looking me in the eye, but I also have no shortage of racing content, at the moment. Cdkeys has it listed currently for Steam for less than $42.

On the two wheels in my house (Driving Force GT and a G920), the force feedback and terrain rumble in something like RaceRoom feels a lot more nuanced than the original Project Cars.

Don't say "terrain rumble", this is not an N64-type canned effect (mostly... if the curb is smooth in real life, some games draw from the effect library of the wheel to add canned "rumble").

Personally I'd say RaceRoom has very little feedback from uneven road surface (and their tracks are not laserscanned with one exception [not saying their tracks are bad, they're damn great actually, but surface detail is not as good as in AC for example].

pCARS1 has some laserscanned tracks, but I've read in dev-logs that Brands Hatch for example(laserscanned in pCARS1) felt too smooth for Ben Collins, so they made it bumpier in some sections than what the scan suggested. Some non-laserscanned tracks like the Nordschleife for example have a not great fidelity to the surface, but the amplitude on some bumps is even overdone.
However, if it's overall too low or too high, there are a LOT of sliders in pCARS that you can use to adjust that. Scoop Knee says under which level forces are scaled down(general FFB settings), Fz for how vertical forces on the suspension are scaled (individual car FFB settings). Also look at the soft clip.
[or try the Jack Spade Tweaker files, there are extra files for more curb and road feel]

About Project CARS 2 FFB feel:
a) They have way more laserscanned tracks now.
b) From review outlets we heard some really impressed words from John Sable (Inside Sim Racing), but he only played it at E3 (he didn't like pCARS1). Allen from Team VVV said something more undecisive (he loved pCARS1). Nobody went into road feel FFB though.

Gestault

Don't say "terrain rumble", this is not an N64-type canned effect (mostly... if the curb is smooth in real life, some games draw from the effect library of the wheel to add canned "rumble").

Personally I'd say RaceRoom has very little feedback from uneven road surface (and their tracks are not laserscanned with one exception [not saying their tracks are bad, they're damn great actually, but surface detail is not as good as in AC for example].

pCARS1 has some laserscanned tracks, but I've read in dev-logs that Brands Hatch for example(laserscanned in pCARS1) felt too smooth for Ben Collins, so they made it bumpier in some sections than what the scan suggested. Some non-laserscanned tracks like the Nordschleife for example have a not great fidelity to the surface, but the amplitude on some bumps is even overdone.
However, if it's overall too low or too high, there are a LOT of sliders in pCARS that you can use to adjust that. Scoop Knee says under which level forces are scaled down(general FFB settings), Fz for how vertical forces on the suspension are scaled (individual car FFB settings). Also look at the soft clip.
[or try the Jack Spade Tweaker files, there are extra files for more curb and road feel]

About Project CARS 2 FFB feel:
a) They have way more laserscanned tracks now.
b) From review outlets we heard some really impressed words from John Sable (Inside Sim Racing), but he only played it at E3 (he didn't like pCARS1). Allen from Team VVV said something more undecisive (he loved pCARS1). Nobody went into road feel FFB though.

I'm talking about vibrations distinct from the broader alignment pull. When I say terrain rumble, I'm talking about a subset of the FFB. If there's something actually counter-intuitive about how I've phrased it, I don't follow it from what you said. "Rumble" is a term I use talking about movement in my actual car. My quick read is that you're accounting for a marketing distinction decades out of date.

I appreciate the response though. Watkins Glenn is a track near me in real-life, so I've always given it close attention in sims. In Project Cars, that was one of the locations I noticed in particular feeling very little connection with the road, even after giving it extra adjustments compared to how I normally dial it in for other games. The extra "tug" coming around bends with an elevation change felt right, but simple things like surface changes or barrier strips felt oddly muted, if not ignored outright. This was in the 80-120mph range, so it wasn't exactly floating speeds.

I'm talking about vibrations distinct from the broader alignment pull. When I say terrain rumble, I'm talking about a subset of the FFB. If there's something actually counter-intuitive about how I've phrased it, I don't follow it from what you said. "Rumble" is a term I use talking about movement in my actual car. My quick read is that you're accounting for a marketing distinction decades out of date.
I thought that's what you meant and everything after the first paragraph from my last post was about this "rumbling" feedback from bump-steer. But I'm afraid that's all I can say about that in R3E, pCARS1 and 2.

Man, this game looks great. I want to try the first one but all the complaints about the controls have made me not give it a go. Can the first one be enjoyed at all with a regular xbox controller?

fresquito

Man, this game looks great. I want to try the first one but all the complaints about the controls have made me not give it a go. Can the first one be enjoyed at all with a regular xbox controller?
I would not invvest in PC1 having PC2 around the corner. There is not a single thing PC1 does better than PC2.

danowat

Banned

It's possible, but it takes some tweaking, if you fancy trying I made some workable controller settings for console in the OT.

I would not invvest in PC1 having PC2 around the corner. There is not a single thing PC1 does better than PC2.

What about the campaign though? That's what I'm interested in really. The start from the bottom work your way up appeals to me. Have they said if PC2 is going with the same theme?

fresquito

What about the campaign though? That's what I'm interested in really. The start from the bottom work your way up appeals to me. Have they said if PC2 is going with the same theme?
You got it wrong. PC1 career is not start from the bottom. It's start from where you want. You can start from LMP1, if that's your thing.

In PC2 though, you start from bottom, but you can choose the type of discipline you will race in. PC2 career is supposed to be a more refined experience of what PC1 was offering. So, yeah, what I said earlier.

You got it wrong. PC1 career is not start from the bottom. It's start from where you want. You can start from LMP1, if that's your thing.

In PC2 though, you start from bottom, but you can choose the type of discipline you will race in. PC2 career is supposed to be a more refined experience of what PC1 was offering. So, yeah, what I said earlier.

Okay. I think I'll just wait then. Thanks

Gestault

The calendar interface for the career mode was hard to parse in PC1. I think that's why so many people (at first, me included) assumed you were starting on cart events, and going up from there. Once I realized it was basically pick-your-preference, I got a lot more out of it.

Preordered the deluxe through Steam. Super excited for this release. I just finished modding my racing rig (Playseat Challange) to add a shifter and some tranducers for rumble. Just need some silicone to dry and I'll be good to go. I'll post a pic or two once done.

Green Yoshi

A German website is speculating that Project Cars 2 could support PSVR on PS4 Pro but Sony doesn't allow it.

So we asked Stephen Viljoen, Slightly Mad Studios' Game Director, whether the VR mode on the more powerful PS4 Pro would possibly already work, but not on the standard PS4 and Sony does not want the VR mode to be exclusive for the PS4 Pro.

Viljoen said (consciously coughing):

I am not allowed to say anything, but it is quite possible that you are right.

http://www.gamersglobal.de/news/131856/project-cars-2-untersagt-sony-vr-support-auf-ps4-pro

Mascot

I can't believe I pre-ordered Pc2 over forza 7. Haha. Don't disappoint me pcars!
I tried Forza Apex this evening and was amazed at how awful it felt out on the track. FFB felt canned and the whole thing felt very arcadey, even with all assists off. I was also sick in my mouth when the game threw me straight into an unskippable race at 30fps and what looked like unaliased 720p. This was apparently auto-set based on my specs. Lol. Once I regained control of my own destiny it was running at 4k60 without breaking sweat (and it's a very pretty game), but I very nearly uninstalled it after the first ten seconds. I was looking forward to FM7 but Apex pretty much killed that buzz stone dead.

I tried Forza Apex this evening and was amazed at how awful it felt out on the track. FFB felt canned and the whole thing felt very arcadey, even with all assists off. I was also sick in my mouth when the game threw me straight into an unskippable race at 30fps and what looked like unaliased 720p. This was apparently auto-set based on my specs. Lol. Once I regained control of my own destiny it was running at 4k60 without breaking sweat (and it's a very pretty game), but I very nearly uninstalled it after the first ten seconds. I was looking forward to FM7 but Apex pretty much killed that buzz stone dead.

Yea, Apex's FFB is even worse than FM6 on Xbox One and that is super "canned" as well. It helps you drive better if you "listen" to it, but it feels nothing like car. John from ISR liked Apex's FFB better than FM6, but of course didn't actually like it. He also said that FM7's E3 demo felt like FM6, rumors about the very improved FFB seemed to have been wrong and I trust John on that one, since he plays stuff on motion rigs a lot and isn't dazzled by that like some other racing game reviewers (I heard the racing game guy from Waypoint say that he wanted to "live in that demo" *eyes rolling*).

I have to say though: Go from "normal" to "simulation" steering in the assists, and it's not arcady, it's harder than any sim out there, especially since the FFB is useless for over-the-limit reactions (actually even counter-intuitive, I actually can can a sim-steering slide better with FFB turned off entirely than with FFB on).

Mod complete. Added the Logitech Driving Force Shifter, attaching it using RAM mounts that are used to mount thing to motorcycles. Added a couple of tranducers that are using LFE for rumble. The rumble doesn't work as good in pCars as it does on my office chair for Elite Dangerous. I might have to look into SimVibes, but I'm happy enough with it for now.

QBWq8bTh.jpg

Even with the mods, the Playseat Challange folds up nicely, which is a big plus as I don't have room for a permanently placed racing rig.

Now to try an wait patiently for pCars 2...

Mascot

Yea, Apex's FFB is even worse than FM6 on Xbox One and that is super "canned" as well. It helps you drive better if you "listen" to it, but it feels nothing like car. John from ISR liked Apex's FFB better than FM6, but of course didn't actually like it. He also said that FM7's E3 demo felt like FM6, rumors about the very improved FFB seemed to have been wrong and I trust John on that one, since he plays stuff on motion rigs a lot and isn't dazzled by that like some other racing game reviewers (I heard the racing game guy from Waypoint say that he wanted to "live in that demo" *eyes rolling*).

I have to say though: Go from "normal" to "simulation" steering in the assists, and it's not arcady, it's harder than any sim out there, especially since the FFB is useless for over-the-limit reactions (actually even counter-intuitive, I actually can can a sim-steering slide better with FFB turned off entirely than with FFB on).

I never could get on with simulation steering in previous Forzas. Found it too ridiculously slippy-slidey, like driving slicks in the wet on a cold day.

I'd also forgotten how condescending the FM games are in their presentation, with the twee intro movie, forced assists in the unskippable first race and patronising voice-over. It never used to bother me but I find it insulting now after pCARS', RR and Assetto Corsa's more serious approach.

danowat

Banned
So there a two tiers of pre purchase packs, the first one is PC1 & 2 (plus the Japanese pack for PC2) for £65

Pre-purchase the Project CARS & Project CARS 2 bundle to get the Project CARS 2 Japanese Cars Bonus Pack and instant access to the original Project CARS.

Or the deluxe pack with PC2 and the season pass.

Take your ultimate driver journey to the max. Grab the Project CARS 2 Deluxe Edition and get accesss to the full game, Season Pass, and all bonus content including new cars, tracks, events, liveries.

Would be nice for them to provide some kind of road map for the prospective content though.

Mascot

So there a two tiers of pre purchase packs, the first one is PC1 & 2 (plus the Japanese pack for PC2) for £65

Or the deluxe pack with PC2 and the season pass.

Would be nice for them to provide some kind of road map for the prospective content though.

Yeah, I'm always wary of unspecific season passes. A season pass should mean all DLC until the end of support as a reward for taking a gamble on it, not suddenly ending so that a further content update can be charged for.

danowat

Banned
Yeah, I'm always wary of unspecific season passes. A season pass should mean all DLC until the end of support as a reward for taking a gamble on it, not suddenly ending so that a further content update can be charged for.

I tend not to buy them anymore, I used to buy all the Forza ones, infact, I was one of those saps who brought the Carlos Fandango Forza editions (up to FM5) with all the bells and whistles attached....

that said, I think I got the AC one........

It's 4 DLCs. Each containing 8 cars, 1 track, and an unspecified number of new liveries and events. Season pass saves you 25% assuming all 4 end up being worth having.

TJP

Wait for a Steam sale once pCARS 2 is released. I'd wager it'll be the game and DLC will be on sale on or before Xmas

I never could get on with simulation steering in previous Forzas. Found it too ridiculously slippy-slidey, like driving slicks in the wet on a cold day.

I'd also forgotten how condescending the FM games are in their presentation, with the twee intro movie, forced assists in the unskippable first race and patronising voice-over. It never used to bother me but I find it insulting now after pCARS', RR and Assetto Corsa's more serious approach.

A bit OT but i have to say that i agree 100% with this. I built a PC basically for Assetto and Pcars, and i thought Forza coming over was a nice bonus, but boy is this one bad.

It´s not just FFB, the hanling model is totally weird it doesn´t make sense because if you try to apply logic you will fail. Cars behave very arcade likle on turns and once they go over their grip limit they just go away, it´s frustrating, kind of like Driveclub for me.

Also, spot on tha presentation, too much stuff trying to be cool and it´s really anything but a sim.

Tying back in to what the thread is, i really never understood the hate Project Cars 1 received from the "hardcore sim" crowd. Just because it´s popular it doesn´t mean it´s not a sim.

Everything changed for me after having the chance to drive a real race car (Ferrari F430 GT) and after two decades playing racing games finally comparing them to real life.

Kazunori is right, it´s not supposed to be hard. It was mindboggling to find out just how firm and responsive the car really is, is nothing like the driving a boat on thin ice feel that you get from iRacing in some cars.

The biggest challenge is to make racing cars easy to drive at 80% or so, it´s only hard when you are pushing the limit, something that´s hard to do in real life but a lot easier in a racing sim.

Based on what i´ve read about Pcars2 it looks like they are going in this direction, more controlable, responsive cars... anyway, fingers crossed.

Hux1ey

Banned

Forza has always been a gamepad sim for me, I don't love playing sims with a pad but the FFB has always been shite.

Also holy shit Mascot finally joined the dark side, never thought I'd see the day.

I cant believe I'm still getting money from SMS ��

Same lol, pays for me kebabs.

fresquito

Sounds impressive in theory, interested to see how it all works in practice, in particular the seasons / weather stuff.
Seasons/weather is easy. You can choose date or season. Weather is like in PC1, only that snow is not selectable depending on season and track (there's no snow in Dubai). Sync to Race works well now too.

Juicy Bob

So you can select the classes to compete in multi-class races?

This is going to be my favourite racing game of all time. I can feel it.

KdotIX

This is looking great, really making me reconsider whether to drop money on Forza 7 Ultimate edition. I feel like I would love this, but to really appreciate it, I need a full racing rig, so maybe I should hold off until then?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
In isolation I'd say yes, but in the grand scheme of things, no.

Man, I dunno guys. I'm trying to stay positive and cautiously optimistic about PCARS 2, but it's kinda hard when you go back to PCARS 1 and play it in VR, and realize it's not that great. I mean, why does iRacing look so much better and cleaner than Pcars1 in VR? Why is pcars 1 in VR such a resource hog?

I'm running Windows 7 with 4870K OC'ed to 4.6Ghz and a 980Ti, and I have to turn damn near everything down in order to achieve a steady 90fs in my Rift. The image quality looks like someone covered the screen in a thin layer of vaseline. It's just not clear. Iracing's IQ in VR, especially now with the new sharpness setting applied looks amazing and much more detailed than Pcars in VR. I sincerely hope SMS optimizes Pcars 2 to run much better and allow us to turn up some eye candy in our Rifts and Vives while maintaining a smooth 90fps. Sucks that it can't be achieved in Pacrs 1.

Top Bottom