• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cars 2 Review thread

Certinty

As long as this fixes the controller issues I don't see how it can possibly review worse than the first. Homestly still can't believe how bad the first was with a controller, actually ended up buying a G29 because of it.

Alebelly

As I always say. Watch some other reviews. You never know. I am a fan of folks enjoying their game so each to their own.

Question(s), you mentioned HDR, did you say that it's not available on PS4 and is on Xbox? Is that going to be patched in like the first game? Or did I hear you wrong?
Thanks

thelastword

Banned
Wow, the controls in PC2 are worse than PC1, this is unbelievable........I had already seen that the graphics were underwhelming, but you would have thought that they would get the controls right this time. Next is performance though, the devs said they upgraded their engine for better perf, but general track detail is very bad in this one, even worse than the first at that.

Looks good but it's a little disappointing it has some framepacing issues and graphical glitches, hopefully they will patch it soon to fix it. Also no HDR on PS4 but it has it on Xbox ? Strange choice, I guess that will come in a patch too.

Will wait for the bugs to be fixed before buying

GHG

Wow, the controls in PC2 are worse than PC1, this is unbelievable........I had already seen that the graphics were underwhelming, but you would have thought that they would get the controls right this time. Next is performance though, the devs said they upgraded their engine for better perf, but general track detail is very bad in this one, even worse than the first at that.

Where are you getting that from?

xrnzaaas

Are you playing the game already? Which version?

Personally I think it controls way better than the original on gamepad. For sure.

Hope so, loved the IDEA and career of the first, but simply could not play it with my xbox controller, it was just too twitchy and inconstant, waiting for this on steam with high hopes

[citation really needed]

Mascot

Show me on the doll where SMS touched you.

Journey

Banned
I imagine that a high spec PC version would look great. It's just unfortunate that the Xbox/PS version won't get that one.

X1X is supposed to run this game at native 4K/60, so there's always that option if graphics are so important.

The controls in PCars were pretty rank on a pad. The amount of options for tweaking minor stuff made it pretty clear that the devs had no idea how to make it play properly.

Yeah, always worth waiting for reviews from well-known sources rather than guys who are just so happy to have received a free game that they'll give a high score by default.

This comment is what's wrong with the journalism scene. So by default, because it's not an IGN or Polygon, that the review is going to be shit because the person got it for free? Because that review or their word means nothing because they aren't "well-known"? Who says people will give it a high score by default?

Sigh.... why even bother at times.

Frostman

X1X is supposed to run this game at native 4K/60, so there's always that option if graphics are so important.

Pretty sure the "Native 4K/60" was a misquote during E3. Ian clarified on GT that if they ran at Native 4K, it would be sub 60FPS and they would have to drop features.

I think he said they would upscale from something significant but not 4K.

Now that the reviews are coming out, I wanted to address/question other reviewers. Did you play the California Highway Full and if so, did you notice anything odd, about 1/3 through the race?

First of all, great work on the ACG review - as always.

Now about some of the issues:
I think that shadow flickering was in pCARS1 too, but to a much lesser degree.

About the graphics looking like "low", I'd say on PC the "low" settings of pCARS1 looked actually still pretty decent, but in the rain pCARS1 just never looked good... washed out and like the paint reflections were off, seems to still be the case in PC2, then again almost no other sim even does rain at all.

What actually bugs me is the frame delivery in the replay cameras! That stuff was bugged in pCARS1 and no amount of nvidia horsepower could make the replays work smoothly (some tracks and camera angles were especially stuttery, others were completely fine). How did they not FIX that?!
I don't care much about the graphics if the game feels right and good and is fun, but I do love watching replays... really sucks that it isn't fixed.

edit: really looking forward to the IGN Italia review. Remember that 95 for Assetto Corsa? They're pretty much fanboys over there.

bombshell

Wccftech - 9/10
There's an undeniable quality to Project CARS 2. It's possibly the most realistic racing sim around, with an almost inordinate amount of detail that's gone into every car, track and the weather and how everything is interconnected. This makes the lack of accessibility for those who struggle with simulation and who'd prefer an arcade mode all the more annoying. Is it a great game? Likely the best racing sim around. Does it need to open itself up to those less skilled? Yes.

Azuardo

Technical, in-depth review here, courtesy of Cubed3:

Cubed3: 7/10 (Very Good, Bronze Award)

Compared to the original, Project CARS 2 makes substantial leaps toward a more authentic and realistic race experience. The handling models, and tyre wear models, combined with the dynamic weather, which not only makes the game look gorgeous, but creates a fantastic additional selling point, adds up to something very impressive indeed. While not all its lofty ambitions seem to have paid off, it excels in delivering driving contrast and a very substantial single-player experience. Players will likely want to have several drivers on the go in career mode, whilst creating dreamlike events themselves, with real and scalable practice and qualifying sessions, too, which means that the sandbox aspect of Project CARS 2 really is something to value. The rivals out there have reason to be worried. This is a game made by fans for fans, and while it's not perfect, it's unique, and a hell of a lot of fun.

Push Square - Review in Progress

Project CARS 2 gives you loads to do and the incentive to experiment with all of its content, too. The title manages to tie together a dizzying number of vehicular disciplines, and it’s a lot of fun flitting from one to the next. A tight handling model and the freedom to explore all of the release’s content freely means that you’ll lose a lot of time to this motorsport marvel, but presentation shortcomings do take the polish off this package the teensiest bit.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/project_cars_2

Mascot

Why would you say that, I have the deluxe version of PC1 on PC......The initial trailers on PC2 showed something much different from what I'm seeing here though....

You can't compare edited trailers (produced on uber-powerful PC hardware) to vanilla PS4 gameplay and expect there to be no differences.

The Outerhaven Productions -4/5 (This is a fairly long review) I apologize for the length, buy my voice sucks for video reviews (I've tried) and I wanted to be as detailed with this review as I could. Length couldn't be avoided ;(

In the end, Project CARS 2 takes everything that Slightly Mad Studios did for the original game, polishes it up and puts out perhaps the best racing title available on the PlayStation 4. Tons of cars, more tracks than you can shake a stick at, a full-fledged career mode and online options. Better controls, fantastic visuals, and PlayStation 4 Pro support. Yes, there are some rough areas and the sound isn't as good as I would have liked. Still, in the end, Project CARS 2 is an enjoyable and fantastic effort that I'm sure PlayStation 4 racing fans are going to enjoy.

http://www.theouterhaven.net/2017/09/project-cars-2-ps4-review/

Good scores so far. Will probably finish close to the MC score of the first.

Not gonna get it day one though. Will wait for the first few patches and get it early 2018.

EBreda

Isn't Project Cars also much more of a proper sim than Forza as well? Makes sense that controlling the cars would thus be more unforgiving.

Unless you're driving a formula car, it should not be unforgiving while drivin at 100kmh.

I don't know why people have this assumption that a sim racer has to be absolutely fucking terrifying hard while driving a powerful car is anything but, unless you're going all in on a turn.

It should be hard doing a flying lap on a 500bhp car, yes, not warming up your tires on a presentation lap, nor going straight at 250.

Anyway, haven't tried PC2 yet but I'm in disbelief about reviews complaining(again) about pad control. If that's true, they should've know better after PC1 fiasco on this department. Yes most of us drive on wheels but you need a good pad setup for it to achieve commercial success, specially after the bad press the first game got.

Still hoping for the best, though.

Mascot

There seems to be a common theme about a solid core but slightly rough edges. That's fine - AI anomalies, graphical glitches... those kinds of things can be worked on with patches.

Happy enough to be getting this day one. My Rift awaits!

danowat

Banned
Gamereactor - 8/10
+
Great physics, good sound, decent controls, nice presentation, loads of settings, solid frame-rate.
-
Bad sense of speed, weak breaking ability in some cars, boring career mode.

If they are the only issues, I'd be happy, weak breaking (sic) is an interesting one, combined with the boring career comment, I reckon they are more interested in the arcadey side of racing.

Gestault

Some of the minute-to-minute gameplay reactions I'm seeing mean I'm going to get some serious enjoyment out of this down the road, but I wish some of their other elements were further along for the initial launch. That track-list is solid, and I know some of the improvements that are here are hard-learned lessons from their continued work on the first game.

Looking just at the tentative metacritic number so far, an 84 sounds downright stellar.

fresquito

Bad sense of speed is something I never expected anybody to criticise PC(1 or 2) for. I mean, it's got the most complete camera configuration of any racer ever. You can adjust the FOV; camera position, DOF, Look to apex and even speed shake.

bombshell

Bad sense of speed is something I never expected anybody to criticise PC(1 or 2) for. I mean, it's got the most complete camera configuration of any racer ever. You can adjust the FOV; camera position, DOF, Look to apex and even speed shake.

On console?

Gamereactor - 8/10

If they are the only issues, I'd be happy, weak breaking (sic) is an interesting one, combined with the boring career comment, I reckon they are more interested in the arcadey side of racing.

Bad sense of speed... do they really know their stuff over there? Have they checked FOV and seat position? Because other than the sound, there aren't any other factors for "sense of speed". Do they want a t of motion blue and vignetting? I don't get it.
I mean even Allan from VVV sometimes uses the "sense of speed" card, maybe there is something I'm not getting here.

Top Bottom