• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Then it becomes hard to know how close to final that build was. They've said that AF has been upped to 8xAF on consoles in the final stretch optimizations.

Indeed. I hope it's improved.

danowat

Banned
I dug out a revisited Forza 5 this evening, man alive, those physics with the pad are so good, weight transfer and tyre grip physics are really good.

Can someone who's played both do some comparison? If PCars pad physics are as good as FM5, I'll be a happy man, if they are better, I'll be over the moon.

I dug out a revisited Forza 5 this evening, man alive, those physics with the pad are so good, weight transfer and tyre grip physics are really good.

Can someone who's played both do some comparison? If PCars pad physics are as good as FM5, I'll be a happy man, if they are better, I'll be over the moon.

Weight transfer and the way the car shifts around under throttle and throttle release all feel very nice, to the point where the more powerful FWD cars have a lot of lift off oversteer and can get very squirrely in cambered corners. I've never observed the lift off oversteer in many other games.

Grip feels similar but a bit slippier than FM5 I'd say. Also, one big thing that would've added to the experience is the Xbox One's rumble triggers. Even though I use that controller on PC, the game doesn't use them on PC, so a better comparison could be made between Forza and the Xbox version of pCARS. Other than that I'd say you'll definitely enjoy it if you like your physics.

hesido

Source? I thought the dev post here mentioned a breakdown where parts were 2x, parts were 4x, and parts might have been 8x. I didn't think all AF was the same level.

The AF is pretty sufficient. Here's one from a PS4 gamersyde video:
KTCkeNW.gif

Man, pCars's multiplayer reminds me of why I shell out the big bucks for iRacing despite all its shortcomings. While the netcode is alright, the lobby system as it is right now is pretty poor, and it's like an 80% chance that the race is ruined right at the start by a griefer.

If it's this bad with just the exclusive backers, I can't wait to see how bad it is when open to the general public.

My experience through four races this afternoon:
- Sakitto GP - Get through practice and qualifying. At warmup, someone says in chat "OM NOM NOM WHERE'S MY DATA" or something along those lines and everybody gets disconnected shortly thereafter. Looks like there's a DoS exploit around?
- Brno - Get through qualifying, start race. Lights go green, I start driving, get blackflagged for jumping start.
- Watkins - After Brno, I get "host". I don't want host and there doesn't seem to be a way to give it to somebody else. I choose Watkins Glen and change the weather from Fixed to Real. Start the session and qualifying magically turned itself off. At the start, everybody behind me intentionally hit each other.
- Monza / Formula A - Get through FP/Qualy/Warmup. On the grid, the car ahead of me immediately throws the car into reverse and knocks me back, then disconnects. I get a jump start penalty. Everybody else besides myself and the leader leave the race within the first minute.

Mascot

Man, pCars's multiplayer reminds me of why I shell out the big bucks for iRacing despite all its shortcomings. While the netcode is alright, the lobby system as it is right now is pretty poor, and it's like an 80% chance that the race is ruined right at the start by a griefer.

If it's this bad with just the exclusive backers, I can't wait to see how bad it is when open to the general public.

My experience through four races this afternoon:
- Sakitto GP - Get through practice and qualifying. At warmup, someone says in chat "OM NOM NOM WHERE'S MY DATA" or something along those lines and everybody gets disconnected shortly thereafter. Looks like there's a DoS exploit around?
- Brno - Get through qualifying, start race. Lights go green, I start driving, get blackflagged for jumping start.
- Watkins - After Brno, I get "host". I don't want host and there doesn't seem to be a way to give it to somebody else. I choose Watkins Glen and change the weather from Fixed to Real. Start the session and qualifying magically turned itself off. At the start, everybody behind me intentionally hit each other.
- Monza / Formula A - Get through FP/Qualy/Warmup. On the grid, the car ahead of me immediately throws the car into reverse and knocks me back, then disconnects. I get a jump start penalty. Everybody else besides myself and the leader leave the race within the first minute.

Racing with randoms in a nutshell.

paskowitz

Strange, I am getting video driver crashes on my standard overclock. I have been playing pCARS at 1500Mhz for 5 months now without issue. Now it just decides to freeze after about 30 min of play, almost like clockwork.

Project Cars supports Fanatec wheels on PS4 with an adapter.
This probably has more to do with Logitech being happy that you will have a reason to buy their next wheel and they an excuse for stopping to support their old wheels.

There is no adapter for Fanatec wheels, they work natively. Fanatec provided drivers to SMS hence why they work. The ball is in logitechs court but for their own reasons they haven't decided to support their wheels currently. That could change but who knows if it will.

i don't know how it works in this game but i would always bump off another car when going around a corner to save me from breaking
AwesomeFaceSmugSmall.png

I'm afraid you can do that. Everything i've seem in videos so far have shown that damage is very light.

It's a problem even in the most "hardcore" sims, i don't know why they toned down so much. I tested two of the most praised sims out there, Game Stock car and Assetto Corsa and even with damage on you can still play bumper cars if you want to explore the game. Assetto Corsa has detailed damage even if you abuse the clutch... but it shows up on your hud but doesn't do much... i should be getting a bunch of DNF's and broken parts with the things i try, but nothing.

I'll never understand why damage is so forgiving in these sims. Of course if everyone drives like a gentleman this is a non issue, but when you explore the game, like you want to do it, you can see how forgiving damage in these games is. Everything i've seen on streams and youtube shows that Project Cars is similar, you can ride the opponents as bumpers if you have the proper dirty way of doing it.

It's a shame because damage is there to prevent unrealistic play. When people do stupid things, they should suffer consequences. Even a minor bump can end the race on a F1 car. It should be like this in the game.

Funny enough, the game that i've played and had the most punishing damage was Gran Turismo 5. You have to give credit where credit is due, and GT5 with full damage was very tough. Even a small bump was enough to send you limping to the pits. It wasn't cosmetical, fancy or anything like that, it just worked as a way to stop people from doing what you intend to do.

Talk is cheap, when you test something looking for exploits you see that damage in racing games is still a long ways to go. I still have hopes for Project Cars, maybe the streamers just had small damage or something turned on.

I'm afraid you can do that. Everything i've seem in videos so far have shown that damage is very light.

It's a problem even in the most "hardcore" sims, i don't know why they toned down so much. I tested two of the most praised sims out there, Game Stock car and Assetto Corsa and even with damage on you can still play bumper cars if you want to explore the game. Assetto Corsa has detailed damage even if you abuse the clutch... but it shows up on your hud but doesn't do much... i should be getting a bunch of DNF's and broken parts with the things i try, but nothing.

I'll never understand why damage is so forgiving in these sims. Of course if everyone drives like a gentleman this is a non issue, but when you explore the game, like you want to do it, you can see how forgiving damage in these games is. Everything i've seen on streams and youtube shows that Project Cars is similar, you can ride the opponents as bumpers if you have the proper dirty way of doing it.

It's a shame because damage is there to prevent unrealistic play. When people do stupid things, they should suffer consequences. Even a minor bump can end the race on a F1 car. It should be like this in the game.

Funny enough, the game that i've played and had the most punishing damage was Gran Turismo 5. You have to give credit where credit is due, and GT5 with full damage was very tough. Even a small bump was enough to send you limping to the pits. It wasn't cosmetical, fancy or anything like that, it just worked as a way to stop people from doing what you intend to do.

Talk is cheap, when you test something looking for exploits you see that damage in racing games is still a long ways to go. I still have hopes for Project Cars, maybe the streamers just had small damage or something turned on.

Yeah, Assetto Corsa with everything on realistic is preeeetty forgiving to impact damage, it's easier to blow up the gearbox than wreck the drive shaft.
My take is that "game overs" (even one pit stop in most games means you are not ending in first place) aren't the "end" game developers want and most player wish for either. Tyre wear is the same thing. You can go to most games, put road tires or whatever equivalent compound they have and they never wear as fast if you are heavily drifting.
And then when you think that those detailed modellings will require even more effort and processing power, you compromise and go for the best approximate/common denominator on areas that won't be as evident if everyone is playing as intended, and won't be cumbersome if they are not.

plidex

Hard to believe that the guys who made Ferrari Legends would not have the connections to get the licence.

Plus, I am not talking about having all the Ferraris ever: the 5 or 6 most iconic would be fine. And then much more affordable I guess.

Plus, if SMS sells a DLC pack, it would recoup the costs.

But, maybe SMS said they would never release payed DLC... I don't know and what I can find on the web states that free DLC would be added every month... not that payed LDC would never happen.

Please tell me if I am wrong on this.

I think paid DLC will probably happen, but I don't think they are keeping the Ferraris for a DLC pack, that would generate a big outcry.

I'm just guessing, but Kunos, the devs of Assetto Corsa, are italian, they have a good number of Ferraris, so it's obvious they have a good relationship with Ferrari. Maybe Ferrari cares about supporting AC, so they aren't giving licenses to other simulators.

Momentary

Banned
I think paid DLC will probably happen, but I don't think they are keeping the Ferraris for a DLC pack, that would generate a big outcry.

I'm just guessing, but Kunos, the devs of Assetto Corsa, are italian, they have a good number of Ferraris, so it's obvious they have a good relationship with Ferrari. Maybe Ferrari cares about supporting AC, so they aren't giving licenses to other simulators.

I hope that's not the case. I want that Berlinetta in this game.

Any good reviews on how this stacks up as a sim?

i.e. compared to iRacing, since IIRC that's still the gold standard. The car count being lower than Forza/GT doesn't matter much if it's a proper sim, it's hard enough to learn how to drive one car with some level of competence, much less 60...

pollysee

Neo Member
Does anyone know, is PCARS going to ship with Oculus Rift support? Or was that just a test/in development kind of thing?

DieH@rd

Banned
There is no adapter for Fanatec wheels, they work natively. Fanatec provided drivers to SMS hence why they work. The ball is in logitechs court but for their own reasons they haven't decided to support their wheels currently. That could change but who knows if it will.

Logitech does not have wheel division now. They exited that business.

Does anyone know, is PCARS going to ship with Oculus Rift support? Or was that just a test/in development kind of thing?

It will ship with the support for DK1/DK2, and devs will work on adapting the game for the eventual release of first consumer model [as it looks right now, that will be in 2015]. They have also announced the official support for Project Morpheus. I don't know about their plans for SteamVR, probably that will be supported also [HTC Vive headset will be first on the market at the end of this year].

Is this game like Forza/GT or more arcadey ?

More simulation, especially when it comes to racing rules and race setups (practice, quali, longer races with flags etc.) Physics are more "simulation" too, with flatspots and generally much more detailed tire physics.

PCars Team Member here. PCars and Forza feel very very similar. PCars simulates more aspects of motorsport rules - but in handling terms they are very close. Remarkably close if you try both with an Xbox One pad.

Lots of folks - especially those who passed on XB1 and Forza 5 - don't want anyone to believe the physics model in that game - especially the tires and weight shifting - are excellent. The usual "I can't play this so it can't be good" stuff we get.

RawNuts

PCars Team Member here. PCars and Forza feel very very similar. PCars simulates more aspects of motorsport rules - but in handling terms they are very close. Remarkably close if you try both with an Xbox One pad.

Lots of folks - especially those who passed on XB1 and Forza 5 - don't want anyone to believe the physics model in that game - especially the tires and weight shifting - are excellent. The usual "I can't play this so it can't be good" stuff we get.
Despite already having it pre-ordered, reading that just made my excitement for this game shoot up. I really enjoy Forza 5's handling model, and a more sim-like approach to racing rules is exactly what I want (not to mention night racing and rain).

Despite already having it pre-ordered, reading that just made my excitement for this game shoot up. I really enjoy Forza 5's handling model, and a more sim-like approach to racing rules is exactly what I want (not to mention night racing and rain).

Definitely. If you like Forza 5 then you can't go wrong with PCars. Similar handling - but with lots more tracks and motorsport focus.

dedhead54

I was debating between getting the game for PS4 and Xbone but hearing this, combined with the fact that the XB1's controller's triggers are impeccable for racing games, has sold me on grabbing the XBone version of the game. I love the way Forza plays/feels. Makes sense to play a similar feeling game with the same controller.

I'm sure it looks and plays fantastic on either console.

Are there any settings that can be tweaked that affect the sense of speed in this game? I've seen certain videos that have a great sense of speed, and others that don't. Is there a motion blur toggle or slider or something?

Solal

I was debating between getting the game for PS4 and Xbone but hearing this, combined with the fact that the XB1's controller's triggers are impeccable for racing games, has sold me on grabbing the XBone version of the game. I love the way Forza plays/feels. Makes sense to play a similar feeling game with the same controller.

I'm sure it looks and plays fantastic on either console.

You might take into consideration project Morpheus though...

The game will probably be a blast on both consoles... but the VR experience on a racing game is a game changer.

How would a i5-4690K & 290X handle this game? I'm interested in this game (have been since it first got announced) but I'm kind of nervous about how the AMD cards will perform based on some videos I've seen comparing them to the NVIDIA ones.

Sorry if this has been asked recently, but is there any word on a PS4 preload (UK)? The 20 gig or so shouldn't be an issue, but with PSN download speeds being all over the shop you never know.

Zeth

I'm likely gaf's biggest Assetto Corsa fan - if PCars wheel FFB is anywhere near as good I'll be thrilled. I've seen a few people compare the two, so I'm pretty hopeful.

Is there going to be any way to get the limited edition car pack in the US with the PS4 version?

"Maybe" with the digital version we can, but can't find a clear answer to that. The site says the digital edition comes with them but doesn't say whether or not that applies to all regions or not. I figure it does but with other things being so different by region I'd like to know for sure.

Metfanant

"Maybe" with the digital version we can, but can't find a clear answer to that. The site says the digital edition comes with them but doesn't say whether or not that applies to all regions or not. I figure it does but with other things being so different by region I'd like to know for sure.
Right...but frankly the Pre-order page on the official site is a clusterfuck of information..

And it doesn't help that the game isn't up for Pre-order on the PS Store yet...ugh...if that's the only way to get the limited cars, I'm fine going digital...but I'd like to know because if not I'll get the poster from GameStop lol

|FeZZa|

Neo Member
Did you see any of this ghosting?
bYWykzm.jpg

EtKj2dS.jpg

Or was every car clear in motion, like this?

I was watching this german guy's ps4 twitch stream (who was refusing to drive anything but the merc SLS AMG) over the weekend and saw these nasty ghosting, so not sure if it was a twitch thing or what:

sEI7QlV.jpg

ZR3yKQ1.jpg

Shaneus

Wouldn't that only be a thing when trying to do 60fps footage over a 30fps stream? I haven't been following the issue though, so that might've already been covered.

Top Bottom