• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Watevaman

Awesome, I love me some Hockenh-I mean, Badenring.

I'm hoping we get some more "obscure" tracks, though, like Sachsenring.

Blizzard

Banned
Did the deal with MotorSport Vision fall through? How has SMS not started on those tracks yet? I'm becoming more and more concerned.
Their track people have been improving the tracks that are already there as well as working on new ones (such as the one today). Apparently there are only 2-3 of them so the pace is limited. I don't mean to be rude, but you are not even part of the project anymore -- why would you be worried about which tracks have been started at this point? :p Just wait until release and then see which tracks made it in.

mclaren777

I don't mean to be rude, but you are not even part of the project anymore -- why would you be worried about which tracks have been started at this point? :p Just wait until release and then see which tracks made it in.

I plan to re-enter the project once those tracks get started. They were officially licensed a week after pCARS went public back in October but we haven't heard anything about them since. So it's possible that the deal might have fallen through (in which case, I won't re-enter the project) but I'm just curious why ~10 tracks have been started/released since that initial announcement.

_machine

Did the deal with MotorSport Vision fall through? How has SMS not started on those tracks yet? I'm becoming more and more concerned.
I remember reading a post from Mark Adams couple of months or weeks ago saying that they haven't got the scans done yet or there still looking at which company to handle the scanning or something. I got the feeling that we aren't getting those tracks anytime soon, but I wouldn't be worried. Tried to search the post, but couldn't find it.

I also think Andy Garton posted that the current tracks don't include proper bumps in the road so I'm guessing they're working on the licenses to get CAD/Laser-scanned data for the final product? I'm really hoping they'll be able to get plenty of laser-scanned tracks or at least cad-based tracks.

As for Hockenheim, not really my favorite track, but I'm excited for the historic layout, which we'll hopefully get soon:
Historic layout is coming. Very early days and it's a bit rough looking generally, but a good base to work from to make it top notch.
And I also noticed a post from couple of weeks ago stating that they're already working on HistoricNotSpa, which I'm really looking forward to, and with the new optimizations maybe I'll actually get to play the next build with proper eye-candy.

I plan to re-enter the project once those tracks get started. They were officially licensed a week after pCARS went public back in October but we haven't heard anything about them since. So it's possible that the deal might have fallen through (in which case, I won't re-enter the project) but I'm just curious why ~10 tracks have been started/released since that initial announcement.
The licensing thread still states that the tracks are confirmed and that they've signed an agreement over so I think it's just about handling the whole laser-scanning as cheaply and in a proper way and then getting that into the game.

Isomac

Can you only view the Project C.A.R.S. forum as a member or something?

Yeah, you need to be member to read forums.

There is some very early pictures/info about tracks and games systems. They don't want just anyone to go in and see it (well without paying I guess heh). I think you also shouldn't discuss about some topics outside of the official forums.

@Blizzard No problem :)

fresquito

New update is up. That makes 4 new circuits since last week.

Build 169 (9/3/12, Team Member +)
MUST START A NEW PROFILE WITH THIS BUILD
Adjust grid placement percentages to 80% performance, 20% random
Fix in weather system for restarting a race
Adjusted minimum AI defaults
Fixes for cockpit steering wheel/driver arms anims during AI control and replay playback
HUD display: Fixed rpm bar background colour, added fuel readout
Fixed up Badenring grids and opponent counts
Corrected opponent count for Derby and Wisconsin
Added overall AI difficultly range based on place on grid using 60% position and 40% random to bias the field to stronger drivers at the front.
Removed applinks and data from the profile for old AI sliders
Bumped version of all vehicles for Friday's stat reset
Reinstated use of phase 2 lighting data for trees - this allows headlights to cast onto them correctly
Caterham R500: LODA/B springs added
GUMPERT physics update
Constraint orientation of contact between vehicles is adjusted to help prevent scooping
Added a small range to AI driver minimum default sliders
New Caterham export
New Badenring historic export
New Belgium Forest export
New Loire exports
New Rouen export
Wisconsin Raceway added
Derby GP and National added

Build 168 (8/3/12, Senior Manager)
Input: Default menu centering spring strength reduced to 0.15 for Fanatec CSRE.
Random settings for AI settings based on min/max ranges
New ranges for AI character tweakers to allow a larger set of characterisations
AI opponents max set to 35 for new AIW. New AIW with working pitlane, 18 pit spots and 36 garage spots. New Line and corridor tweaking for AI at Bathurst
Belgian forest - performance update
Added updated tracklist and xmls for Rouen (raceline and trees)
New Badenring exports
New Bathurst exports
Rouen added
Badenring Historic added

Build 167 (7/3/12, Senior Manager)
Update tyre noise code defaults to match latest data
Remove HUD leading zero on lap time minutes and remove minutes from +/- times when zero
AI and Player Headlight mapping, default mapping is numpad 3. This can be changed in the controller config page
AI used random number to work when it should turn on its lights
Fix for bug with lights on restart and beams during the day
Shadows fix for black/clear patches appearing when shadows are very long
Static envmap convolve is now done on a seperate frame to the render, distributing the cost (gains about 8-10% overall fps)
Complete overhaul of UI centering spring implementation
Shadow FXAA only applied in high or ultra shadows
Build script : Added support for split installer ziping for patches
Asano X4: new LIGHTS material/textures for fully lit headlight case
Default day changed to june 22nd, daylight saving, location venice (nearest to bologna), new textures added for skies with higher sun
Reduced headlight spread a little.
Updates with 54 angles garage spots in theAIW. Set TRD to maxim of 53 AI at California Raceway
Added West Glencairn crowd placemt
Added new & up-to-date TRDs for the Badenring (GP, NAT, Short, Historic)
F68: more physics changes for stability
Badenring logo/temp map added
Formula A: Physics changes
New Asano X4 export
New Gumpert Apollo export
New Connecticut Hill exports
Badenring added to the game

Known Issue: Modern driver in the F68

Build 166 (6/3/12, Manager+)
HUD: fixed overlapping on laptimes element
Added 46 grage spots. Reset TRDs to suport 46 car grid at Connecticut Hill
Reset max participants to 32 until garage spots can be set at Bologna
Increase amount and volume of tyre noise
Bug fixing on ToD

Build 165 (5/3/12, Senior Manager)
Code to spread the generation of the emvmaps over time
Add ability to override gearstick animation use per view
Switch CNM driver mode to use 3PV animation but with gear-changes enabled
Fixes for spot shadow filtering (and directional shadow filtering on ATI)
Gumpert Apollo: physics update
Gumpert Apollo: skid multiplier adjusted for new tires. lowered turbo volume as it was overpowering the scene
Formula A: physics changes to improve low speed stability
New Belgian Forest export
New Bologna exports

fresquito

So I've given the new tracks a first go, just to check how they look and all. And I'm positively surprised: they look really good. They look fantastic, much better than Spa or Mount Panorama. They look closer to Imola (Silverstone, probably), for reference. For istance, when you race through Rouen, when you go offroad, you can see leaves flying around. Road America, Donington and Hockenheim they all look good as well. I don't know about how fun they are, since I've been just playing around to have a first impression of the circuits.

Besides, performance seems to be much better. With all cranked up to the top (MSAAx4), I get between 32 and 45fps, although I will lower some settings, because racing games are 60 or bust.

Controls for the Asano x4 seem to be better too. I don't know how to describe it, but it's easier to feel the car when it's going out of control and correct without losing steam. Overall, looks like a very good update.

fresquito

STOP THE PRESSES!!

Did you mean to say Silverstone? Because if not, I'm re-entering this project within the hour.
No, no. It's not Silverstone. I can't tell for sure if it's Dinington Park, but that's what the List of Tracks thread says in WMD forums about the new Derby circuit.

mclaren777

Yep, that's definitely Donington! :)

But now I have a number of dilemmas...

Should I sign up with my old name or make a new account?
My concern is that SMS will just kick me out again if they see my name, but I don't want to be intentionally deceptive either. Do you think they will allow me back in?

What will my wife say?
She has some concerns about the legality of the investment structure and she's still rather upset about the way Ian handled my ejection from the project. In fact, she recently mentioned that she's not all that comfortable with me even buying the final game.

Should I just wait for the final release of the game?
I really only want to drive on three tracks (plus the eventual MotorSport Vision venues), and if this does end up being a free-to-play game, it would probably be cheaper to just wait until launch.

iBRQtqxD0f0mb.jpg

Oof it looks so good. I always forget.

There's still something about the handling model I don't like and I'm not sure what it is. I never feel like I have enough feedback in some ways. I can't articulate it.

mclaren777

There's still something about the handling model I don't like and I'm not sure what it is. I never feel like I have enough feedback in some ways. I can't articulate it.

Many of us feel the same way. It's like there's an unnecessary layer of translation between the wheel and tire. That, and the cars always felt more stable than they probably should have been. At least that's how it always seemed to me.

_machine

Oh man, I have to play ME3 first. NEED MORE TIME.
Feel ya, bro.

Luckily I'm too lazy to set-up my Momo and too hooked on ME3 to let pCars take too much time. That and I feel there's still too much on-off weirdness in the physics, at least what I tried with 360-pad. Still, I'm supposed to have my Finnish matriculation exam on monday and I'm only 14hrs in on ME3...

Simply Sausages and the pre-2002 Hockenheim(absolutely hate the new one for some reason) are really cool though. Hopefully that classic Spa will appear soon too, not to mention Nordschleife and Monaco. I think it looks like there might be more tracks in the final game than the planned 30 that Ian mentioned; I believe we've already 16 tracks, altough not finished, and it's been, what, 5 or 6 months of the planned 18.

Really hope we'll get to know some more about the car licenses soon, apart from Pagani which was leaked in the design document. The new DTM beemer looks great so I'm hoping one of the three common car manufacturers would be BMW.

Many of us feel the same way. It's like there's an unnecessary layer of translation between the wheel and tire. That, and the cars always felt more stable than they probably should have been. At least that's how it always seemed to me.
That's pretty much how I feel, some cars feel too planted, but get way too hard past the limit and like Ben Collins said, the turn in feels a bit slow. FF on my ancient Momo feels pretty good though, at least couple of builds ago, and it doesn't feel like the game's trying to murder my precious Momo like rF2.

Also, they've just started work on some 1990 Nascar stock-car or something :p

Blizzard

Banned
For those of you with FFB issues, assuming you're trying the normal suggestions of resetting profiles and adjusting settings and such, has the game at least been getting better? Forum impressions seemed to me like there have been definite improvements even though it's not perfect yet. :)

Also yay more tracks! Maybe they saw us talking about the lack of new tracks, haha.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Ah, Donington.. *boots up dreamcast in celebration of the news*

mclaren777

Compared to rFactor2 this game seems to be going places? Is it just my impression?

The pace of development is significantly greater in pCARS than it is in rF2, but that's primarily because SMS has more than five times the number of staff.

xptoxyz

Thing I've been thinking for a while can they get away with using these under other names if they don't get licensed soon? It's not like PES using similar teams name and kits, these are somewhat faithful reproductions.

mclaren777

Thing I've been thinking for a while can they get away with using these under other names if they don't get licensed soon? It's not like PES using similar teams name and kits, these are somewhat faithful reproductions.

Track licensing is weird sometimes, but I think SMS is free to use the track known as "Derby" even if they don't get licensing approval to call it Donington.

_machine

I've wondered it too and someone asked the same thing couple of days ago:
General question: Is it even thinkable/feasible to release the game with unlicensed stuff - the Audis as Asanos, or Watkins as Connecticut for example?
Ian Bell said:
Very feasible yes. Only the names are trademarked. You can't trademark a permanent road 'shape'.
So yeah, it seems you can use the layout and I believe some of the unlicensensed tracks are even based on Cad-data(1cm accuracy I believe?), but it seems that you need the track license for laser-scanning like the upcoming UK-tracks. rF2 Spa is unlicensed too, I think? Same applies to cars as long as they're not exact copies.

xptoxyz

I've wondered it too and someone asked the same thing couple of days ago:

So yeah, it seems you can use the layout and I believe some of the unlicensensed tracks are even based on Cad-data(1cm accuracy I believe?), but it seems that you need the track license for laser-scanning like the upcoming UK-tracks. rF2 Spa is unlicensed too, I think? Same applies to cars as long as they're not exact copies.

Well the layout itself I kinda expected but sometimes the inclusion of other road-side features like the tyre over the track in Donington and others sometimes made me wonder if they could be risking it being to similar. Thanks for the answer, did he also answer the car portion of the question?

markao

I finally had some time to test latest build and glad performance is back at pre 164 levels with the new lighting, although the back straight on old Badenring (Hockenheim) needs some optimisation, but will no doubt come with time. Few cars I tried are far more sensitive with the steering, not quit sure if something drastically changed, or just the steering ratios in the default set-ups were altered, have to check that one.

Like the addition of some older track lay-outs, Rouen/Badenring (hockenheim), but also Derby GP (Donington), always enjoyed that track in GTR/GTL. Winconsin (Road America) is great to race on, but as the AI still has the same problems with the first corner as in Shift, that has to wait (for MP).

Shot two videos, old Badenring unfortunately FPS on back straight to low, so settled for new Badenring & Derby.

Asano X4 Touring at Derby GP (hotlap - 19.00)

Gumpert Apollo Sport at Badenring GP (4 laps vs AI - 11.00)

There is also a new topic about "Country Road" Tracks in pCARS, if you would like to see them in pCARS or not. They have some tracks in their asset library, which they could "easily" bring in to the game (which would require updating to modern standards, but not have to be build from scratch).

2apfwy.jpg

r9ubepx.jpg

_machine

We're also getting Mugello, Oschersleben and Catalunuya this week.

And please vote yes on the country roads, they've got a Passo Di Stelvio with extra bits that isn't quite up to the snuff yet, but might make into a free DLC.

E: Markao, you missed the best pic:
3iwkbt.jpg

Also Mclaren, I just asked about the MotorSport vision tracks and will let you know if we get an answer.

E2: Monza's coming too, but for this week Andy spoke about 3 tracks.

So for someone not at all into PC racing sims, could this be a good place to start? I have played shitloads of Gran Turismo over the years and some Forza, but that's the closest i've come..

Also, if i choose the junior membership, do i get the same content as the team members only a few weeks later?

Blizzard

Banned
So for someone not at all into PC racing sims, could this be a good place to start? I have played shitloads of Gran Turismo over the years and some Forza, but that's the closest i've come..

Also, if i choose the junior membership, do i get the same content as the team members only a few weeks later?
Yes (at least for now), you get a build once a month rather than once a week. If you want to upgrade later you can pay the difference in price.

Top Bottom