• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

This thread has taught me what a "chicane" is. It's apparently that thing I always blew through halfway through Connecticut. =P

I was a sad panda when they added timing records and I was like, "Wait, I actually have to slow down enough to do this big side curve?"

The one at Catalunya can be a bastard. I'm good at it now in F1 2011, but that car is a lot less twitchy than the Formula A car in this game. I predict many spins before I get it right.

Took the dive and joined up. On the 25EUR level right now.

I think I have some sort of lighting glitch on my end (that other people probably have too- haven't looked too deeply at the forums). During daytime (probably 0800-2000 hrs), the grass and track are unplayably bright, like they're reflecting the sun too much. I can't see the road ahead of me at all. The image in the mirrors don't seem to have this effect. Also, when the game transitioned into night it looked and played a lot better.

Overall I have to figure out some good graphics settings because my version doesn't look nearly as good as the screenshots and videos I see (but it still doesn't look bad).

Also Watkins Glen being called Connecticut Hill is probably going to bother me forever.

Blizzard

Banned
Took the dive and joined up. On the 25EUR level right now.

I think I have some sort of lighting glitch on my end (that other people probably have too- haven't looked too deeply at the forums). During daytime (probably 0800-2000 hrs), the grass and track are unplayably bright, like they're reflecting the sun too much. I can't see the road ahead of me at all. The image in the mirrors don't seem to have this effect. Also, when the game transitioned into night it looked and played a lot better.

Overall I have to figure out some good graphics settings because my version doesn't look nearly as good as the screenshots and videos I see (but it still doesn't look bad).

Also Watkins Glen being called Connecticut Hill is probably going to bother me forever.
Try turning HDR off, if you haven't already, and see if that looks better. You can also try experimenting with the DX9 version if you're using DX11. I think the super bright lighting was something they were at least aware of, and one or two people were posting screenshots and talking with one of the development team about it.

I dunno, I think it will be. You can chase people up that winding section after T1 (feel so good to fly up there) and then try to get a better line in to the straight with the bump in it, then you have the straight before the hairpin, the hairpin itself, the next hairpin and the main straight.

Would make for an exciting race I reckon.

I'm been signed up for a long while now but haven't had any time to get a build downloaded and running on my rig at home.

But how would people who have tried compare the physics and driving feel to Shift/Shift 2? Is it a night and day difference? This game is supposed to fall more along the sim side of things right?

Watevaman

Car feels a lot more attached to the road than in Shift/S2U. It doesn't feel as good as some of the "real" sims out there but I think it's very solid right now, with both a controller and a wheel setup.

Niks

Car feels a lot more attached to the road than in Shift/S2U. It doesn't feel as good as some of the "real" sims out there but I think it's very solid right now, with both a controller and a wheel setup.

Hmm cant decide if thats good or bad. lol
In the videos Ive seen the cars all seem glued to the road for some reason.

Is the aim of the game to be a full sim or more arcade like?

Blizzard

Banned
I'm not sure what glued to the road means, but I used to spin out like crazy, and I think drifting seemed possible on a more recent version. You're unlikely to literally fly off the track unless you collide with something, I think.

Wazzim

Banned
Hmm cant decide if thats good or bad. lol
In the videos Ive seen the cars all seem glued to the road for some reason.

Is the aim of the game to be a full sim or more arcade like?

Sim. Plays fine for me, the whole game reminds me of Forza for some reason.

I'm not sure what glued to the road means, but I used to spin out like crazy, and I think drifting seemed possible on a more recent version. You're unlikely to literally fly off the track unless you collide with something, I think.

The physics are much better now. You used to roll in the Formula cars so much, but now you just spin.

Niks

I mean the car doesn't seem to slide at all... no over-steer, counter-steer or fishtailing of any kind. Of course this is just based on some vids ive seen.. so yeah. Just an observation.

Blizzard

Banned
I mean the car doesn't seem to slide at all... no over-steer, counter-steer or fishtailing of any kind. Of course this is just based on some vids ive seen.. so yeah. Just an observation.
Either they're playing a video I haven't seen, or you're watching videos people made after learning to drive it, I suspect. With driving aids off it isn't easy, even jamming down the gas at the start can make you hit the wall if I recall correctly.

I must admit, I don't feel like I'm sliding around much. When I spin it's usually because I've put the power down too soon.

I still think there's something missing in the driving model. Say what you will about Codemasters, but in F1 2011 I can feel every slight thing my car is doing on the track and when I get over/understeer or begin to lose the car I know exactly how to counter it. In this game, a lot of the time, if I'm losing the car I don't have enough feedback to combat that. There are occasions when I do, going around Spa in the night yesterday I put the power down too soon at the end of the long straight and nearly lost it but managed to counter steer, but those moments are few and far between.

It feels good to drive, but sometimes when I'm turning into corners (like the one at the end of the windy section in that last vid I posted) I'm kinda working on faith that going the right speed and being in the right gear will get me around it safely. There's something more than that which is missing at the moment. I'm not the best at driving games, but I don't think it's user error.

Watevaman

It's still not to the point where it feels like you have 550+ hp going to the wheels, but it's definitely not "glued to the road" or anything. I took the V8 Atom to Bathurst and I was all over the place. There also seems to be some good lift off oversteer implemented, as I've found myself in a bit of a pickle in some of the cars (like the DTM car) because I underestimated a turn.

mclaren777

Either they're playing a video I haven't seen, or you're watching videos people made after learning to drive it, I suspect. With driving aids off it isn't easy, even jamming down the gas at the start can make you hit the wall if I recall correctly.

In the roughly 50 build revisions that I tried, the driving aids rarely seemed to make any noticeable difference so I'm surprised to hear that.

Has SMS improved that code lately? Can you now toggle assists on/off while on track?

fresquito

There're cars that don't slide too much, tyere're others that are sliding fests. For istance, Atom 500, if I recall correctly, and F68, are beasts that must be tamed with a gentle hand.

Is it worthwhile getting this if your only controller is a 360-controller? Also, does this game require you to invest a whole of time before you can enjoy it? As i wrote earlier, i have no previous experiences with sim racers outside of the console ones (gt/forza). Will i just get frustrated by the difficulty if i don't intend to put more than a few hours a week into it?

fresquito

Is it worthwhile getting this if your only controller is a 360-controller? Also, does this game require you to invest a whole of time before you can enjoy it? As i wrote earlier, i have no previous experiences with sim racers outside of the console ones (gt/forza). Will i just get frustrated by the difficulty if i don't intend to put more than a few hours a week into it?
It depends. At the moment there's no game, so, if you're not into driving alone or against unfinished AIs, you will not have much fun now.

As for the controls, the game is not that unforgiving. It's quite sim, but it's not that hard to drive. Some cars are thougher than others, but I wouldn't say the game requires hours upon hours of investment, until you want to be competitive in online multiplayer (which is not there at the moment) or leaderboards.

That said, you can always sign in for junior level, which is only 10€. You get a monthly build and, since the game will release in a year from now, even if you don't like the final product and don't want to buy it, you will have paid just 10€ for a game that you can play for a whole year. In any case, you will get some money off your small investment and a disccount for the game. And if you're really into it, you can always upgrade your account.

So, if you're in doubts and 10€ are not a lot of money for you, I'd suggest to try it yourself.

BTW, if you finally sign in, you can always tell it was someone from GAF that told you about the game.

mclaren777

Big props to SMS for including Oschersleben!

Andy Garton, if you're reading this, can you please discuss the inclusion of Magny-Cours with the rest of the team?

Also, it seems that you've recently decided to permanently ban me from the WMD forums. That seems rather harsh. I know that a number of other people were also kicked out of the project but they were told that they could re-enter at a later state when they had a better understanding of what they were getting into. But apparently I'm not welcome back? Not even when the full game launches and I buy it as a normal customer? That seems rather draconian, especially given that I've been hugely supportive of this project since before it had a proper name back in April 2011.

I would love to hear from you, so please shoot me an e-mail if you have time.

ibl3LVlIqeEwVu.jpg

i6K4tZVgWxqkE.jpg

It depends. At the moment there's no game, so, if you're not into driving alone or against unfinished AIs, you will not have much fun now.

As for the controls, the game is not that unforgiving. It's quite sim, but it's not that hard to drive. Some cars are thougher than others, but I wouldn't say the game requires hours upon hours of investment, until you want to be competitive in online multiplayer (which is not there at the moment) or leaderboards.

That said, you can always sign in for junior level, which is only 10€. You get a monthly build and, since the game will release in a year from now, even if you don't like the final product and don't want to buy it, you will have paid just 10€ for a game that you can play for a whole year. In any case, you will get some money off your small investment and a disccount for the game. And if you're really into it, you can always upgrade your account.

So, if you're in doubts and 10€ are not a lot of money for you, I'd suggest to try it yourself.

BTW, if you finally sign in, you can always tell it was someone from GAF that told you about the game.

Thanks for your response! I actually completely forgot i do have some experience from PC sims in the form of F1 2011. I played that with zero assists, would that be anywhere near what i could expect from Project CARS?

Spent about 20 hours driving the Ariel Atom 300 supercharged around this week....so much fun. It took a while to get use to it but once you get the hang of it its an absolute blast. I've been playing sims for a lil under 10 years now and that atom is probably my favorite car to hop in and just do laps.

Spent about 20 hours driving the Ariel Atom 300 supercharged around this week....so much fun. It took a while to get use to it but once you get the hang of it its an absolute blast. I've been playing sims for a lil under 10 years now and that atom is probably my favorite car to hop in and just do laps.
OK, that settles it. I'm just going to have to carve out some time this weekend to try out the latest monthly build.

fresquito

Thanks for your response! I actually completely forgot i do have some experience from PC sims in the form of F1 2011. I played that with zero assists, would that be anywhere near what i could expect from Project CARS?
F1 2011 is not very sim, really. That said, it depends on the car. For istance, the Asano x4 (which is a touring car) is pretty easy to drive. There're some other cars that are easy to drive too. But some are quite hard.

If you're wondering if you will be able to do a lap without going off road, well, I don't know about you, but it shouldn't be too dificult. If you're wondering if it will be fun, that I can't answer. There's a driving school planned, but that will come in the distant future. So, for now, you will have to learn on your own, seeing videos, playing the game and asking people or reading tutorials. I don't know how fun it will be for you to do all of this, that's up to you. But being part of this project also has a side effect that is quite interesting: you get to see a big game coming up together.

To give you some similar perspective, the only one PC racer I've put much time into with my wheel is F1 2010 and 2011, where I also use no assists.

In a lot of ways F1 is much easier, however I also feel you get more feedback in that those games at the moment. This is definitely more of a sim and you won't be able to fly around at first, but if you can handle F1 2011 with no assists I see no reason why you wouldn't be absolutely fine.

_machine

So we'll be getting Catalunya, Oschersleben, Mugello, Monza (GP, Short, and Historic) and Zhuhai.

Also, the upcoming tyre model and FFB updates are sounding good too, hopefully they'll get them spot on.

Arucardo

Any chance you can copy/paste that text?

Ok so I'm going to talk about build 173+ only since anything previous is now irrelevant with the changes from the last couple of days.

In build 173 you have FFB Grip Multi and FFB Tyre Force Multi in the F1 Vehicle menu and in the F1 FFB Steering menu there are changes to the tweakers Spring Coefficient, Spring Saturation and the introduction of a new one named, Stationary Spring Sat tweaker.

In a nutshell, we're now calculating FFB far more directly from the physics, more so than ever before in fact. FFB code has been greatly simplified as a result (this is a good thing), and IMO offers up a significantly higher resolution of fidelity now. The spring force is now completely static whilst driving and operating with a minute force so in theory you can set up your controller and not worry about the in-game spring interfering with your driving experience. The only time it comes into play now are simulating steering lock (the spring activates and becomes hard when you hit lock), and also whilst stationary to generate the heavy steering feeling (and this part also has been completely rewritten).

So let's discuss the Spring tweakers first.

Spring Coefficient: keep it relatively high otherwise you'll not be able to generate heavy steering feeling.
Spring Saturation: needs to be low otherwise the spring will interfere while you're driving; having "some" saturation can help with dampening oscillation so a little is better than zero.
Stationary Spring Sat: this is the maximum spring strength (combined with Coefficient) that you will experience whilst stationary. By default, most wheels are set to 1.0 and work fine. Wheels with super strong spring effects may require a reduction but otherwise can be left alone.

Now to talk about the other changes which occurred as a result of AJ's physics updates. As a consequence, the FFB is very direct now. The semi-canned effects of rumblestrips and bump simulation have both been disabled (actually gamepad owners will need some canned stuff adding back in) - what you feel now through your wheel is precisely what's coming through the steering forces.

FFB Grip Multi now is a low speed helper only and can be modified up/down to help sustain some FFB whilst at low speed. Further work may eliminate this tweaker - we don't know yet.
FFB Tyre Force Multi is now a per-car amplifier for the force effect itself (some cars require more amplification, eg Caterham as it's quite soft/floaty whereas the Formula A is by nature very direct).

We do know the new code is prone to oscillation around the centre of the wheel; we have not yet placed focus on this yet so just accept it for now; no need to report it when the build feedback threads go up.

Hope you enjoy.

I hope I don't get in trouble for this D: .

Zhuhai ;)

And I'm also very curious how the new FFB forces will feel, sounds promising.

Can't wait for tomorrows (or is it next week?) build, so far there's been something iffy about the FFB that I can't quite put my finger on.

EDIT: Also, my new fanatec CSR shifters are waiting back home so I can't wait to try those out too.

Watevaman

I feel sad, I'd never even heard of Zhuhai before this :(.

I wonder if it's possible to get Shanghai. It's possibly the only Tilke designed track I actually enjoy.

So i decided to put in the 10 EUR for Junior Membership. The first thing the strikes me is how awful the trees look :) But anyway, how do i go any faster than 78 km/h? I suppose there's a lock somewhere but i can't find anything in the control settings.

Blizzard

Banned
So i decided to put in the 10 EUR for Junior Membership. The first thing the strikes me is how awful the trees look :) But anyway, how do i go any faster than 78 km/h? I suppose there's a lock somewhere but i can't find anything in the control settings.
I don't remember having this problem, but look/search for auto-pit and turn it off, I think. And/or turn off drive assist options.

fresquito

Trees need some work, yes, but depending on the track, they can look quite good (Bologna) or crappy (Bathurst).

About speed, I don't know, maybe you need to change the gear? Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I haven't heard of anybody having this issue and that's the first thing I thought about. The default setting of the game is with all aids off, I think.
Anyway, congrats for joining us. I hope you have lots of fun.

Trees need some work, yes, but depending on the track, they can look quite good (Bologna) or crappy (Bathurst).

About speed, I don't know, maybe you need to change the gear? Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I haven't heard of anybody having this issue and that's the first thing I thought about. The default setting of the game is with all aids off, I think.
Anyway, congrats for joining us. I hope you have lots of fun.

Heh yeah only tried Bathurst, they look like something from a 15 year old game. Hmm strange, i have tried both automatic and manual gearing. If i choose automatic it never goes above first gear. If i go Manual i can change as i want but the car never goes above 78 km/h, no mattar what gear i'm at. I'll try another car to see if that solves it then.

mclaren777

I think it's kind of funny that in this very thread people were worried what, a week or two ago, that tracks were being made too slowly? :p

I'll happily eat crow on that. I was overly critical of the track selection/creation process, but now that Donington, Oschersleben, and Zhuhai have been added, I feel that I owe SMS an apology.

So, Andy, I'm sorry for doubting you guys.

_machine

Heh yeah only tried Bathurst, they look like something from a 15 year old game. Hmm strange, i have tried both automatic and manual gearing. If i choose automatic it never goes above first gear. If i go Manual i can change as i want but the car never goes above 78 km/h, no mattar what gear i'm at. I'll try another car to see if that solves it then.
Turn off pit limiter from the options, it seems to have some bugs even when you're out of the pit lane.

Top Bottom