• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

mclaren777

Also Mclaren, I just asked about the MotorSport vision tracks and will let you know if we get an answer.

Thanks for asking. Hopefully we'll get an answer soon because I'm disappointed by the inclusion of Monza and this 'Country Roads' idea.

Also, here's Mugello...

iMTw2Oz38kOLq.jpg

ibtmXxbu8yCVft.jpg

icZEbDrdPJEhx.jpg

ie0PhmKS5jUjU.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for asking. Hopefully we'll get an answer soon because I'm disappointed by the inclusion of Monza and this 'Country Roads' idea.

Also, here's Mugello...

Why would you be disappointed by something that doesn't take much effort to add, could look really pretty, and adds value to the game? People who don't like the courses wouldn't have to play them, we've gotten a ton of new tracks recently so it's not like the limited effort to improve the courses would presumably pull much dev effort away from the others, so what's the downside?

Isn't it obvious yet he's just an insufferable elitist? There's a reason he was kicked out of the project.

I just did some fucking amazing laps around Spa. Not in terms of driving skill - I'm still pretty bad at the game - but man it's really awesome flying around there with the sun setting/rising. I'm uploading a vid now :D

mclaren777

Why would you be disappointed by something that doesn't take much effort to add, could look really pretty, and adds value to the game? People who don't like the courses wouldn't have to play them, we've gotten a ton of new tracks recently so it's not like the limited effort to improve the courses would presumably pull much dev effort away from the others, so what's the downside?

I universally hate Monza so I'll always think it's a waste of time in any game. And I think the 'Country Roads' idea just seems out of place in a sim like pCARS. SMS has done a great job of focusing on fun/agile racing machinery and having events on public roads feels about as out of place as including cars like the Nissan GT-R or Chevy Corvette in the game.

So damn tempting... I think I might bite on this if I don't forget by the time I get back home.

Is there proper triple screen support akin to iRacing implemented (or planned)?

Blizzard

Banned
So damn tempting... I think I might bite on this if I don't forget by the time I get back home.

I'm almost positive I have seen some people mention crazy horizontal resolutions that must be either double or triple, but I can't absolutely confirm.

_machine

Old posts from last year:
ull triple screen support will be essential for the game yes, and so will happen. I agree iRacing does it very well.
ok, so a more capable system within the game for handling a mixture of monitor sizes would be even better for you ?
I also remember Andy saying that's there's no reason they couldn't do better than iRacing, but couldn't find it with some searching.

And mclaren, you've got a message from Andy:
Could you politely let mclaren777 know his ban is permanent please? I registered to answer him but the moderators there don't seem to want to approve me.

Also can't possibly comprehend how you could hate Monza :p

Blizzard

Banned
I just did some searching myself, and there definitely seem to be people running Eyefinity etc. rigs (saw one post with a resolution that calculated out to be triple 1280x1024). It sounds like there may be some stuttering issues that are being worked on for such setups, especially with DX11, however. I don't know if they have added special options for stretched side screens or whatnot yet.

Niks

And I think the 'Country Roads' idea just seems out of place in a sim like pCARS. SMS has done a great job of focusing on fun/agile racing machinery and having events on public roads feels about as out of place as including cars like the Nissan GT-R or Chevy Corvette in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AzwtstgdU0

You need to watch this vid. Yeahhh, I think you are wrong on that one.
More games should include point to point racing.

Blizzard

Banned
Oh for fuck sake, you can't copy & paste password on their awful login screen.

Dammit.
Yeah the login page is kind of annoying. Hopefully they fix it since they've been working on the UI otherwise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AzwtstgdU0

You need to watch this vid. Yeahhh, I think you are wrong on that one.
More games should include point to point racing.
Zounds that's scary, what was with those random signs or barrels in the road halfway through? It reminds me of that classic video of the guy racing down some (Swiss Alps?) mountain road in a body suit with wheels attached.

fresquito

More tracks that are easy to port is good news. Even when it means I need to learn a lot more tracks than before! I will vote for roads, if they're long enough, they can be pretty interesting.

And mclaren, you've got a message from Andy:
Could you politely let mclaren777 know his ban is permanent please? I registered to answer him but the moderators there don't seem to want to approve me.
Brilliant call. Maybe he'll stop trolling this thread now.

This is what I was doing earlier:

pCARS – Day to Night Cycle (Spa Francorchamps / Belgian Forest) Build #169
pCARS – Night to Day Cycle (Spa Francorchamps / Belgian Forest) Build #169

The performance was pretty damn good considering I was recording with FRAPS. The only time my framerate dipped below 30 was when the sun started to rise.

I can't remember what car I was using but it was fun to drive.

Watevaman

I have a demo of the D/N transition too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuWVFkdxfAc

Using the build that was released on the 2nd.

And man, looking at the track news makes me more and more happy I invested in this. I'm perfectly content with 50 cars as long as we have the tracks to back them up. And those driving roads are gonna be a great inclusion if approved.

And I think the 'Country Roads' idea just seems out of place in a sim like pCARS. SMS has done a great job of focusing on fun/agile racing machinery and having events on public roads feels about as out of place as including cars like the Nissan GT-R or Chevy Corvette in the game.
Sounds like simple fun with amazing cars to me. Circuits can get old.

mclaren777

Could you politely let mclaren777 know his ban is permanent please?
That's a bummer. But thanks to you and Andy for clearing that up.

You need to watch this vid. Yeahhh, I think you are wrong on that one. More games should include point to point racing.
I'm not interesting in solo driving so point-to-point events don't interest me at all. But my main concern is that it seems out of place given the rest of the game's content.

fresquito

SMS staff are crazy... in a good way.

Quick update.

In order to add longitude, latitude and date to the setup, we have had to remove time to drive the kays and replace it with sun elevation. Keyable properties such as sun col, sky col, fog etc all relate to the sun elevation anyway. As the sun goes up the sky col changes, the haze col shifts and the sun colour becomes less rich. There was a plan to key based on whether it was twilight, dusk, mid afternoon etc but we can't use this approach because the date shifts the sun elevation at different times of the day. Midday in winter and summer have very different sun altitudes and hence different looks. Also the sky textures link to the angles because of the hdr sun, so using sun elevation was really the only way to go.

We currently have this working and I have to say that Kevin has done a great job. In the live edit tool I can set the date and the long/lat. The sun rotation and elevation automatically update with these inputs using accurate real world values. I then key the chosen elevations in the same way I was keying at specific times before. I go to a time I want to key, read off the elevation and change the settings for those. So if I set a key for the sun at 5 degrees at dusk and then change the date, when I move the time slider to dusk on the new date, I will see the same 5 degree dusk I previously keyed. It sounds complicated but it isn't. I'll also set up default keys so you won't be creating from scratch, just tweaking my existing values most of the time.

One thing we are currently adding is code to distinguish between sun rising elevation and sun setting elevation. This way we can key so that dusk looks different to dawn (less moisture in the atmosphere at that time so different colours etc).

We have setup the long/lat for each track, so when you play these in the future, they should have accurate day/night cycles that match the time/date and location. We just need to check that our track exports are all oriented the correct way so that north aligns with +y in the export software.

http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthre...d-Weather-System&p=95895&viewfull=1#post95895

Sethos

Banned
Man, I'd kill for some Top Gear esque point-to-point racing where they select some of those stunning places and just let you drive, just see the stunning environments and enjoy the car(s). Imaginary places is a bit boring.

On another note, what's their intentions as far as road cars go? Sure I enjoy a fast racer but I'd much rather drive around in little euro boxes or run of the mill production cars, high and low end.

I really hope they don't waste time with shit road cars. I never understood people wanting to drive at 70mph in Gran Turismo and Forza.

I drive a Peugeot 106 in real life. When I play a racing game I want to go twice as fast as I go in that, at minimum!

I never said it doesn't exist, it's just not what I want in my games. I want to be in the best of the best, going at 200mph. Racing games are about that thrill for me.

70mph feels realllyyyy slow in games, also. GT5 was painful to play in "normal" cars because it felt like you were doing 30.

fresquito

I think they should have included a road car by now. A lot of people has asked for it, and they haven't got an answer, but the reason is very basic: we can't give proper feedback on competitive cars, but we know how road cars work and how they feel, so we can give good feedback. Besides, road cars can be interesting.

I never said it doesn't exist, it's just not what I want in my games. I want to be in the best of the best, going at 200mph. Racing games are about that thrill for me.

70mph feels realllyyyy slow in games, also. GT5 was painful to play in "normal" cars because it felt like you were doing 30.

Increasing the FOV improves the feeling of speed.

1-D_FTW

He was never unreasonable and bitched about content that the majority of CARS customers wanted. What are you on about?

The vast majority of that thread love Spa being in the game. SMS should cater to what people want most IMO. He has a horrible attitude on the forum, even outside of the rFactor shilling.

Seems to me that's what they're doing. Most people want the ability to race their real life cars and they're giving to the people's voice.

Yeah and if that is what the majority want then fair enough. I'm not going to troll their forum like a dick like he did or throw a fit. I'll just not use them.

I'm just saying it's something I have no interest in. If I was posting over there saying they're going in the wrong direction, lying to us, etc etc, maybe then I'm comparable to that scumbag.

mclaren777

It will be interesting to see how pCARS develops over the next six months. SMS initially focused on quirky race and trackday cars for use on traditional tracks, but if the community started steering the project towards being more like GT or Shift, I wonder if SMS would deviate from its plan.

And I'll be curious to see what becomes of the original proposal as the game gets closer to launch...

itcxKFqk11xKz.jpg

fresquito

Yeah and if that is what the majority want then fair enough. I'm not going to troll their forum like a dick like he did or throw a fit. I'll just not use them.

I'm just saying it's something I have no interest in. If I was posting over there saying they're going in the wrong direction, lying to us, etc etc, maybe then I'm comparable to that scumbag.
I thank you if you kept your opinion about another formuer to you, or at least, could express it politely. I'm really getting fed up with your attitude towards mclaren.

Scumbag is quite a polite term for him all things considered. But let's not derail this thread with that, shall we? I didn't appreciate being compared to someone like him in the slightest.

I'm going to try out the AI now. I'm hoping it goes much better than last time.

Edit: I need to close Firefox before I load the game or it freezes for some reason. First build I've had this problem with.

The AI still feel a little rough around the edges to me. Always crashing before T1, half the time wiping me out etc. To be expected though and it's a huge improvement over what they had before. I also had 30 cars on the track (which I'm sure didn't help with the chaos) and it didn't impact my framerate at all - very impressive! The further around the lap you get you more stable the AI seems to come, which is I assume where a lot of those shots for the fan trailer were.

I'm going to give this Donnington track a real crack in the F1 car later. I couldn't really fly around it with other cars there, but it seems like a fun track.

I find it hard to race anything other than classic Spa to be honest - it's just so good!

Blizzard

Banned
I think they should have included a road car by now. A lot of people has asked for it, and they haven't got an answer, but the reason is very basic: we can't give proper feedback on competitive cars, but we know how road cars work and how they feel, so we can give good feedback. Besides, road cars can be interesting.
As long as they don't spend too much development time on it, it's like the point to point races -- people who don't want to play them can ignore them, and it adds more value.

And yeah, I think that's one of the biggest things about a more "normal" road car option. People have all sorts of comments about force feedback on super high end racing cars, and surely MOST of them have not personally driven those. Feedback should be easier to give on a more "normal" car. I assume you would not need a lot of them either, just 1-3 or something.

*edit*
I also had 30 cars on the track (which I'm sure didn't help with the chaos) and it didn't impact my framerate at all - very impressive!
I think this is a pretty big performance improvement they added recently. Originally using lots of cars impacted framerate if I recall correctly.

jet1911

The dowbload speed is great! Played a couple of races just to mess around. It's fun and I like the fact that I'm playing an unfinished game. I can't wait to see how things will improve as time goes on. Now I just need a way to activate the rumble with a 360 controller...

Blizzard

Banned
The dowbload speed is great! Played a couple of races just to mess around. It's fun and I like the fact that I'm playing an unfinished game. I can't wait to see how things will improve as time goes on. Now I just need a way to activate the rumble with a 360 controller...
Rumble always worked on my wired 360 controller. It actually felt pretty cool how when you would tip one wheel over the edge of the track, I -think- it would activate the appropriate directional rumble. I could be crazy though.

aeroslash

Anyone know if there's any plan to include Catalunya in the game? I know it's not the favorite track for anybody, but being an f1 track maybe...

I really like to drive there!

I think this is a pretty big performance improvement they added recently. Originally using lots of cars impacted framerate if I recall correctly.

Yeah I used to dip a lot more with AI. I saw on the forums they released a fix that increased performance by like 20% for this build, too. I haven't tried it as I'm getting a solid framerate, but that's fairly awesome, as well.

I really can't wait to see how good this game will look in a year or so, especially when I'll probably have a new card and CPU to really push it more. It already looks very nice maxed with great performance.

Anyone know if there's any plan to include Catalunya in the game? I know it's not the favorite track for anybody, but being an f1 track maybe...

Catalunya and Monza coming soon!

Catalunya is one of my favourite tracks :)

markao

Added the latest user video : (Faster, Harder, Stronger!) " from HDTanel to the OP.

Foliorum Viridum's soon means this Friday ;)

b1egjct.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
This thread has taught me what a "chicane" is. It's apparently that thing I always blew through halfway through Connecticut. =P

I was a sad panda when they added timing records and I was like, "Wait, I actually have to slow down enough to do this big side curve?"

Top Bottom