• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Blizzard

Banned
yeah I'm liking the combo too:

For some reason that's the funniest thing I've seen all day, hahaha. :D

*edit* Also, there's a new subforum for the pCARS API, for anyone who wants to make applications or whatever: http://forum.wmdportal.com/forumdisplay.php?97-pCARS-API-Discussion

*edit again* For some awesome pictures of old Spa, check these two pages:
http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?518-Screenshots-(JPG-only-please)/page1634
http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?518-Screenshots-(JPG-only-please)/page1635

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Well I'll be.... the old spa. Kinda regret not getting in before they closed shop :(

Marco1

This game is the only reason I'm thinking of skipping next-gen consoles and building a PC.
Announce this for PS4 please!!!!

Razyl

Sorry for that question, but where can i find the new track (Old Spa)? I'm full member and have updated to the newest build (348), but... no old spa :(

Is it not included yet?

DieH@rd

Banned
Sorry for that question, but where can i find the new track (Old Spa)? I'm full member and have updated to the newest build (348), but... no old spa :(

Is it not included yet?

Go to select location and then click on the very end point in the down/right corner of that window. It will select Old Spa, but you will not be able to customize your setup [at least that's the case with me].

Razyl

Go to select location and then click on the very end point in the down/right corner of that window. It will select Old Spa, but you will not be able to customize your setup [at least that's the case with me].

Ah, okay. Thank you :D

Yeah, can't customize my setup too, but old spa looks great. Just beautiful. But... i can't switch to the helmet camera without changing something in the HUD-Editor. :/

Blizzard

Banned
Ah, okay. Thank you :D

Yeah, can't customize my setup too, but old spa looks great. Just beautiful. But... i can't switch to the helmet camera without changing something in the HUD-Editor. :/
Are you talking about the cockpit cameras not showing up when you press the view-cycle button? Try holding the view cycle button for a second or two, since there are at least three categories of views. Once you choose a new category, you can start pressing the button normally again to cycle through views in the new category.

Blizzard

Banned
I was just reading some Ben Collins comments, and he was very positive about the Formula B. Has anyone driven it in the last few days?

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Very very unplayable with a Phenom X6 and HD4870x2 vid card. Low FPS at low settings... its kind of crazy, really.

Blizzard

Banned
Very very unplayable with a Phenom X6 and HD4870x2 vid card. Low FPS at low settings... its kind of crazy, really.
In singleplayer I think I typically get 30-40 fps with an e8400 core 2 duo 3.0 GHz and single 5850, and I don't think I have everything minimum. My CPU is the main limiter. Have you tried forcing to a single card instead of both?

Arucardo

I was just reading some Ben Collins comments, and he was very positive about the Formula B. Has anyone driven it in the last few days?

Just tried it on "Not Suzuka". It's good fun now and pretty different from the Formula A. Not too long ago the B was nearly undrivable for me. Compared to the FA the FB feels a little looser (which is most likely caused by having less downforce than the FA). The only thing that bothered me about the B with the default setup was braking, some corners like the chicane at the end gave me quite a bit of trouble, the brake point ended up being way earlier than I expected on almost every lap and it locked up the front much earlier than I anticipated.

EDIT: Didn't want to double post, so here's another awesome video by Jonz66: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=R1gUPfhBt94

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
In singleplayer I think I typically get 30-40 fps with an e8400 core 2 duo 3.0 GHz and single 5850, and I don't think I have everything minimum. My CPU is the main limiter. Have you tried forcing to a single card instead of both?

will try

thanks

For instance, Live for speed max settings look better than Pcars low settings, but Pcars runs a lot slower. I can run LFS with 16x FSAA with my vid card >60fps

Blizzard

Banned
Sounds like you should definitely be getting decent performance with low settings then. Hopefully it's just SLI being broken at the moment or something.

markao

Meeting Andy Tudor tomorrow ^^ Anything you'd like to ask, just shoot and I'll try ;)
Here's one: with over a year crowdfunding/sourcing done, what is/are biggest positive/negative of developing in front of your customers (opinions).

New build has (first pas) of the Formula Gulf, curious how development of that car, with the partnership with the guys that create/run that car, will turn out.

japtor

Meeting Andy Tudor tomorrow ^^ Anything you'd like to ask, just shoot and I'll try ;)
How's the Wii U version coming along, and/or if it's being worked on at all at this point.

And uh, I guess since they've already worked with BMW a bit, suggest the MINI race spec cars. I think there's race versions of the hatch and coupe (and WRC Countryman, but I guess that one wouldn't fit in without a rally mode).

paskowitz

Any plans for PCARS on next gen consoles?

If you get a publisher for the console version, how will you deal with their demands (make this more casual, simplify this, erase that, etc)?

Why are EA such pricks about the Porsche license?

Will there be native Fanatec support on consoles?

How goes the progress of officially licensing The Ring?

japtor

Just thought of a really really random question thanks to this post over in Something Awful's PCARS thread:
The Historical Spa-Francorchamps track they added is pretty intense on a fast car with no downforce. I wish games would include more deathtrap tracks that aren't really feasible in real life anymore. Of course, I also wouldn't mind seeing a car sim track with some Sonic the Hedgehog loops and F-Zero style centrifuge turns, if only to see what would happen when you plugged it into a simulation. But after seeing the pCARS outrage over snow I can only imagine what would happen if you added a track like that to rFactor or CARS
Got me kind of curious, would the physics model work with something like that (i.e. a crazy F-Zero GX like track, gravity permitting) or is it partially working on an assumption of all the roads being within realistic bounds?

amar212

I think we'd all like to know what challenges they are (or expecting to) face with finding a publisher to take on a crowdsourced game.

Any plans for PCARS on next gen consoles?

If you get a publisher for the console version, how will you deal with their demands (make this more casual, simplify this, erase that, etc)?

Why are EA such pricks about the Porsche license?

Will there be native Fanatec support on consoles?

How goes the progress of officially licensing The Ring?

Yes, this covers my questions too.

Additionally, I'd like to know:

- what is the true ETA about game heading to gold-phase for consoles (final public release)?

- what can be revealed about single-player structure?

JGot me kind of curious, would the physics model work with something like that (i.e. a crazy F-Zero GX like track, gravity permitting) or is it partially working on an assumption of all the roads being within realistic bounds?

Yeah, this too. Backthen in PSX days we had a crazy concept of "Gran Turismo Tony Hawk" game with levels of THPS being remade to use with GT physics.

Decade+ later Mercedes filmed this (staged) commercial: http://youtu.be/AhDnQ4FOUC8

I would like to se something like that too, even in some crazy Test Stage Course.

Mascot

Is pCARS meeting everyone's current hopes and expectations? I was super-hyped for it a few months ago (to the extent of seriously considering a monster gaming PC) but my interest has tailed off a bit recently, probably due to lack of significant information updates more than anything else. Is there any word about official licenses for sponsors, circuits etc? Any new manufacturers on board or track additions? Can we expect a media blowout at E3?

PriitV

It would be meeting mine, if they'd address the Multiplayer issues at all. MP hasn't been updates for months now and the communication is a bit slow on that end.

Arucardo

I still haven't tried this, how realistic it is in terms of physics? Compared to GT5, GTR2?

I don't think anyone can give you a definitive answer on this. As a recent example the Formula B was nearly undriveable to me two or three weeks ago. They made some changes last week and now it's lots of fun to drive again and pretty different from the Formula A.

There's quite a few cars in the game now that I really love to drive but I don't want go comparing it to finished products at this point (don't take that as me saying it's rubbish, I just don't feel like it's fair to draw that comparison at this time).

fresquito

Yeah, comparing pCARS to a finished product doesnt make sense at all. I'm fine with how pCARS is turning out, but the game is still six~ months away. There're lots of changes to be made.

Blizzard

Banned
It would be meeting mine, if they'd address the Multiplayer issues at all. MP hasn't been updates for months now and the communication is a bit slow on that end.
I thought they added enough good multiplayer features (private lobbies, the ability to lock everyone to a certain car, cars vanishing on disconnect instead of blocking the path etc.) that I thought the updates had been fine. But, they may have added all of those months ago and not added more features since then. What are the major multiplayer features left to do?

PriitV

I thought they added enough good multiplayer features (private lobbies, the ability to lock everyone to a certain car, cars vanishing on disconnect instead of blocking the path etc.) that I thought the updates had been fine. But, they may have added all of those months ago and not added more features since then. What are the major multiplayer features left to do?

• Restarting
  • Driver swaps
  • Car classes
  • Real (not that 5s cooldown) penalties
  • Qualification
  • Practice session
  • Overall stability
To name a few.

Seeing as the FSA seems to have put a stop to new Project Cars members I guess I'm shit outta luck with regards to purchasing the game? Is there no other way to get access? No way of pre-ordering rather than investing?

_machine

Little update on the WiiU version:
Andy Tudor said:
So we were asked by Nintendo if we'd like to show Project CARS at this particular conference since Nintendo continue to show interest in Project CARS for the Wii U. The conference focuses on indie developers like ourselves and they believed the crowdfunding aspect of it would be of particular interest to their audience given that a lot of indie developers use other systems like Kickstarter or Indie-Go-Go to get their games made.

Megasoum

Banned
GFWL wont be used, steamworks is being considered for its API but some more vocal members are up in arms about it because they had bad experiences with Steam back in 2004 or for any other obscure reason.

Some discussion here: http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?13413-pCARS-on-Steam-possible-sign-of-things-to-come

Ugh...this is a perfect example of how terrible crowd funding, especially for a sim title can be. This is something I've noticed over the years while watching sim communities for games I've played (flying and racing) is that the community is always terrrrrrrriiibbllleeee. No matter how great those people are at driving or flying they are often, at best, average pc users that will still be super vocal about stuff they don't know nothing about. There's been countless examples of that since pCARS started but I've seen it with other projects too. What makes it worse with pCARS is that those guys actually have an impact on the project.

I'm all for crowdfunding if it allows more games to be made but sometimes you gotta let the pro decide what's the best for their own games.

As far as the game improvement I want to see myself would be a proper force feedback. Sure they "fixed it" so now it's actually playable (it wasn't really playable for fanatec users for a LONG time) but while it's playable, the FFB is so boring that I just don't want to play anymore. You can't feel anything in the wheel when you're playing. You can't compare it to rf2, iRacing or ACR's FFB, it's not even in the same world.

That's really too bad too cause the game has the best content and I actually like the physics.

And before somebody says it (cause there's always one that say it), yes I know the game is still WIP and they are working on it and yada yada.

Arucardo

Ugh...this is a perfect example of how terrible crowd funding, especially for a sim title can be. This is something I've noticed over the years while watching sim communities for games I've played (flying and racing) is that the community is always terrrrrrrriiibbllleeee. No matter how great those people are at driving or flying they are often, at best, average pc users that will still be super vocal about stuff they don't know nothing about. There's been countless examples of that since pCARS started but I've seen it with other projects too. What makes it worse with pCARS is that those guys actually have an impact on the project.

I'm all for crowdfunding if it allows more games to be made but sometimes you gotta let the pro decide what's the best for their own games.

As far as the game improvement I want to see myself would be a proper force feedback. Sure they "fixed it" so now it's actually playable (it wasn't really playable for fanatec users for a LONG time) but while it's playable, the FFB is so boring that I just don't want to play anymore. You can't feel anything in the wheel when you're playing. You can't compare it to rf2, iRacing or ACR's FFB, it's not even in the same world.

That's really too bad too cause the game has the best content and I actually like the physics.

And before somebody says it (cause there's always one that say it), yes I know the game is still WIP and they are working on it and yada yada.
Most of the FFB besides the tyre feedback has been disabled for quite a while now for obvious reasons.

If you're not happy with the FFB I def. suggest trying out some of the tweaker files the community has made: http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?7806-Custom-FFB-Tweaking-Files-Post-Yours-Here

Also, that thread about steam that was linked isn't quite as bad as you made it sound, there's mostly just one guy there (who at least admits that he hasn't used Steam that much) sharing his negative experiences among many positive comments.

Personally I think that proper Steam integration for pCARS would be awesome, especially with steam workshop.

Megasoum

Banned
Most of the FFB besides the tyre feedback has been disabled for quite a while now for obvious reasons.

If you're not happy with the FFB I def. suggest trying out some of the tweaker files the community has made: http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?7806-Custom-FFB-Tweaking-Files-Post-Yours-Here

Also, that thread about steam that was linked isn't quite as bad as you made it sound, there's mostly just one guy there (who at least admits that he hasn't used Steam that much) sharing his negative experiences among many positive comments.

Personally I think that proper Steam integration for pCARS would be awesome, especially with steam workshop.

Thanks I'll checkout those files.

As far as workshop goes, did they finally decided if they want to support mods? Last time I heard anything about that was a long time ago and they were still thinking about it.

Edit: Wait, what do you mean by "Disabled for obvious reasons"? They did that while they are reworkding the tire model?

fresquito

I'll add that the thingt that move most investors in the pCARS forum is the promise money coming their way. Steam has so big an impact on sales that I don't see investors dropping it out. Just show these fellows some workshop numbers and they will be eager to go steamworks all the way.

Arucardo

Thanks I'll checkout those files.

As far as workshop goes, did they finally decided if they want to support mods? Last time I heard anything about that was a long time ago and they were still thinking about it.

Edit: Wait, what do you mean by "Disabled for obvious reasons"? They did that while they are reworkding the tire model?

Yes, they want the tire feed back to feel right and it helps with developing the tires themselves. They took out a lot of canned effects like curbs, engine rattle, breaking, (not sure if weight transfer is included) etc.

Top Bottom