• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

markao

Lot's of new stuff, I think this one will make a few on here happy.
This is interesting timing.

I've just had a call from our lawyer and we have a solution and a system to allow investment into the projects going forward.

First up will be the PS4 and Durango versions opened for investment. Yes, I said INVESTMENT. :)

I should also mention that we're now official PS4 developers.
(not sure if that means pCARS or something new will come to PS4 though, but will probably made clear SMS soonish)

And some physics updates to the tire model, more my kind of happiness ;) All to technical, for me at least, so here's Aj's short version of what/why

So what does this mean? Well, soon, the grass will be slick. The sand will be sandy. Wet track will slip more. Tires will overheat and feel overheated. Etc.

disap.ed

Also, this:

Ian Bell said:
Just a word to say that I don't want anyone to underestimate what AJ is doing here. He's a humble chap and not one to blow his own trumpet but this really is a few steps beyond what any of the competition have implemented in a commercial game to the best of our knowledge. This really is taking things to pro simulation levels.

On that note, we're now in touch with an extremely experienced F1 racer with a view to bring him in to help polish the FA and FB tyres and handling.

Very nice!

I'm interested in seeing what's changed, and why. Whatever the case, I'd like to see them stick to their original plan of cutting out the publisher, and keep it DD-only (which nextgen should allow for).

Tire model stuff sounds great too.

Three60

Mercedes license confirmed by Ian..

1952 300 SL W194
1971 300SEL 6.8 AMG 'Rote Sau'
1989 Sauber C9
1990 190E 2.5-16 Evolution 2 (DTM racing version)
1998 CLK-LM
2012 SLS AMG GT3
2012 C-Class Coupe DTM
2013 A45 AMG
2010 SLS AMG Coupé

Great list :)

Casey Ringley said:
I'm going to try and get a rough and ready SLS GT3 in for next week. Formula C already in the pipeline for this week. :)

1952 300 SL W194
1989 Sauber C9
1998 CLK-LM
2012 SLS AMG GT3
2012 C-Class Coupe DTM
2013 A45 AMG
2010 SLS AMG Coupé

Now THIS is how you select a car list from a manufacturer. Great choices all around.

This and the PS4 version news makes me giddy.

Hype level through the roof now. Now just scrap the old hardware versions and use resources for Durango/PS4/PC please!

Shaneus

God I can't wait to take the C9 around the Nurb.
What percentage of the car will be left after the first lap? I'm guessing it will be less than 100.

I haven't played this for yonks... what's the state of the Nurb in the current build? Is it anywhere near close to real life? I know GT5, Forza and PGR all have varying levels of accuracy, but don't know where SMS is in relation to those ones.

Xanadu

Banned
What percentage of the car will be left after the first lap? I'm guessing it will be less than 100.

I haven't played this for yonks... what's the state of the Nurb in the current build? Is it anywhere near close to real life? I know GT5, Forza and PGR all have varying levels of accuracy, but don't know where SMS is in relation to those ones.

GT5 nurb is still the best there is

Watevaman

It's getting there. I recorded a lap last week of me going around with the 98T:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8G944nDQl0

shitty driving but it'll show you the track

Shaneus

I bet it's Rubens Barrichello, he is huge into simulators.
It doesn't say "ex", so could it be a current driver? And hugely experienced = maybe someone like Webber or Button (especially given they're both based in the UK)?

It's getting there. I recorded a lap last week of me going around with the 98T:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8G944nDQl0

shitty driving but it'll show you the track
Thanks for that! Not looking too bad at all.

xptoxyz

It doesn't say "ex", so could it be a current driver? And hugely experienced = maybe someone like Webber or Button (especially given they're both based in the UK)?

Thanks for that! Not looking too bad at all.

If we're going to speculate current drivers I'm thinking Heikki, Test Driver frees him up a ton more, and since Caterham team is in the UK, he might be there quite a bit I would guess.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

1952 300 SL W194
1989 Sauber C9
1998 CLK-LM
2012 SLS AMG GT3
2012 C-Class Coupe DTM
2013 A45 AMG
2010 SLS AMG Coupé

Goddamn, what base isn't covered there? Really is their biggest highlights over the course of their history right there.

Shaneus

If we're going to speculate current drivers I'm thinking Heikki, Test Driver frees him up a ton more, and since Caterham team is in the UK, he might be there quite a bit I would guess.
Even better guess. Every chance that it's a test driver, and who better? Good speculation, tiger.

disap.ed

Now THIS is how you select a car list from a manufacturer. Great choices all around.

Absolutely. I am in no way a Mercedes fan but this is really a fantastic lineup, even better than the BMW list.

I wish they would have the ressources/budget to do such a list for every major manufacturer (the absence of Audi still hurts me the most)

Shaneus

Is their absence definitive or is it just a "not yet" kind of scenario?

I'm still curious about how the game itself is going to be structured. I'm surprised we haven't really seen much of that yet, beyond a small number of threads here and there. That's what's going to sell the game to people, not handling or graphics (as much).

TJP

Absolutely. I am in no way a Mercedes fan but this is really a fantastic lineup, even better than the BMW list.

I wish they would have the ressources/budget to do such a list for every major manufacturer (the absence of Audi still hurts me the most)
I'm presuming further manufacturer licences could be a part of the DLC strategy if sales are high enough.

Shaneus

Are any of those cars that they've had in previous games of theirs? I'm just wondering whether they'd use existing models or not.

And have we seen how they get licensed cars into the game? Are they laser scanning or doing everything by hand? I mean, we read about new cars getting introduced all the time, but never see how.

saladine1

1952 300 SL W194
1989 Sauber C9
1998 CLK-LM
[/B]
2012 SLS AMG GT3
2012 C-Class Coupe DTM
2013 A45 AMG
2010 SLS AMG Coupé

Nice, very, very nice!

amar212

I don't get it.

Great news, but I still don't get it.

We can redraw ourselves from funding "pCARS" but we can always invest separate investment into "NEXTGEN" versions.

I don't get it.

And yes, great news all around, happy to see things are finally moving forward - especially the news about nextgen: having pCARS ready during launch window for PS4 in Europe would be spectacular.

Arucardo

Are any of those cars that they've had in previous games of theirs? I'm just wondering whether they'd use existing models or not.

And have we seen how they get licensed cars into the game? Are they laser scanning or doing everything by hand? I mean, we read about new cars getting introduced all the time, but never see how.

They can't use anything from Shift 1 or 2, it's all owned by EA.

I don't get it.

We can redraw ourselves from funding "pCARS" but we can always invest separate investment into "NEXTGEN" versions.

I don't get it.

And yes, great news all around, happy to see things are finally moving forward - especially the news about nextgen: having pCARS ready during launch window for PS4 in Europe would be spectacular.

You're given the option to get all your money back or you can keep it as is.

markao

I don't get it.

I don't get it.

It's how the dealing with the FSA worked out.

By giving people that participated in the original funding the chance to get their money back, they got the "go ahead" with that project. Anyone who believed they got themselves in to something that they did not fully understand are thereby covered and that's probably good enough for the FSA. (they can get the full money back when in doubt)

The funding for next-gen project will be done with a new rule set that they worked out with the FSA. (therefore separate from the original). And don't forget the original pledge was for "this gen" and estimated at 3.75, they need additional funding for the next gen, you cannot just add that to the total pool/budget.

Is their absence definitive or is it just a "not yet" kind of scenario?

I'm still curious about how the game itself is going to be structured. I'm surprised we haven't really seen much of that yet, beyond a small number of threads here and there. That's what's going to sell the game to people, not handling or graphics (as much).
Just look at the lat to pages of the UI reports, here: Andy's 1st post, rest follows & there is a Game design part on the forum, just read ]Andy T's sticky post to get an idea.

ps: added Mercedes information to the OP and some pics for those not familiar with model numbers ;)

mercedes-benz-clk-gtrxrksp.jpg
We're done here.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Live for Speed has tyre wear, tyre heating, tyre cooling, tyre flex, tyre flat spots (!), most of them since 2005 (when it won Simulation of the year).

I hope Pcars is on par with LFS, but with modern graphics.

fresquito

Live for Speed has tyre wear, tyre heating, tyre cooling, tyre flex, tyre flat spots (!), most of them since 2005 (when it won Simulation of the year).

I hope Pcars is on par with LFS, but with modern graphics.
I love me some LFS, the game that got me into sim racers. That said, pCARS will have a more complex system than LFS', going by SMS claims. I don't have any reason to not believe.

Top Bottom