• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

p3tran

Banned
so, looks like I've missed the chance to participate in crowdsourcing for this.
is there any way to participate now, or at least get to try any build of the game?

Darkdeus

A few of my shots from recent builds:

8647694796_52c1b15bfc_b.jpg

8643394560_5a08513b4e_b.jpg

8642217892_73b9fa7cb1_b.jpg

8618094778_9d3a8d7aa4_b.jpg

markao

so, looks like I've missed the chance to participate in crowdsourcing for this.
is there any way to participate now, or at least get to try any build of the game?
No, not possible right now.

@Darkdeus Beautiful shots, this one is my favourite (wallpaper) for the reason mentioned about this car/track combo earlier in this thread ;)

disap.ed

It is a fantastic idea that half of the people don't know how to switch cameras?

I also don't get what the second set (3/4 front outside) view is good for ingame (not speaking of replays).

fresquito

It is a fantastic idea that half of the people don't know how to switch cameras?

I also don't get what the second set (3/4 front outside) view is good for ingame (not speaking of replays).
The idea is far from intuitive. The first time I tried it, I reset the game two times and thinking about reinstalling because I thought the camera got broken. I had to search the forumsjust to find it was a new feature.

It's downsampling, so DS2X is 2x the resolution and DS4X is the game rendered at 4 times the resolution you have the game set to (don't expect to run either very well unless you have a complete monster of a pc)

Thought as much - 2160p w/ DS4X lol - DS9X refuses to boot.

Still appears to leave some jaggies over, though. Is their algorithm not that great atm?

markao

It's downsampling, so DS2X is 2x the resolution and DS4X is the game rendered at 4 times the resolution you have the game set to (don't expect to run either very well unless you have a complete monster of a pc)
It's not resolution, but pixel count.

2x = Is double height/or width, don't know which of the two = pixel count 2x
4x = Is double resolution (both hight and width x2) = pixel count 4x
9x = Is 3x times hight and width = pixel count 9x

Heh, I didnt know about this.

Btw, when will pCARS-GAF gather online for few races?

Yeah, hopefully we can get something going again. Online is always tough since we live all over the world, but the TTs had good participation. Kind of a shame they've locked the new blood out though.

Shaneus

Right-click, save.
Right-click, save.
Right-click, save.
Right-click, save.

What framerate are you able to run it at, Dd? I'd be super jelly if it was anywhere near 60fps (though having said that, I could well be able to get it to run like that as well... it's been a while since I bothered firing it up).

markao

I'm glad somebody is covering it.
True and also in this matter, not just a few paragraphs. Do hope they get it sorted out, as I do like the "develop in front of you" model more than I do the "kickstarter" one and would love to see more games being developed like this one.

Darkdeus

What framerate are you able to run it at, Dd? I'd be super jelly if it was anywhere near 60fps (though having said that, I could well be able to get it to run like that as well... it's been a while since I bothered firing it up).

heh no where near 60fps. I only have a dual core e8400 and a gtx 470. I just turn the graphics up for screenshots. I was probably getting around 15-20 fps when these shots were taken : (

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Really sad to discover the game's been pushed back again to sometime in 2014 :(

True and also in this matter, not just a few paragraphs. Do hope they get it sorted out, as I do like the "develop in front of you" model more than I do the "kickstarter" one and would love to see more games being developed like this one.

As do I. Gaming's version of the sushi bar. That part is very, very cool.

I'm sure i've said it before, but I'm just uncomfortable with the investment/dividend portion of their business model. It's pretty Wild West with no legal obligation to anyone. It's not really a precedent I'd like to see happen. Obviously I hope the British government doesn't axe the project though. I really like the project and virtually everything else they're trying to do, but the money thing needs some oversight.

markao

I though I read Q1 2014, but whatever it turns out to be, I do hope they take their time. (that is if if the budget allows it of course)

And nice vid Adrian, but you have the wrong tire on the Zonda R ;). I could not resist trying out the road tire (option -A) and it was pretty mental as expected. One lap video and new sun flare gif, first time I entered Beau Rivage I saw nothing and I crashed hard :p

Pagani Zonda R (road tires) - Côte d'Azur circuit (youtube)

zondar-coteazure-flaraco19.gif

I hate that kind of lens flare. Photography enthusiasts will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that kind of flare can only occur through a camera with a complex lens array. Certainly not your goddamn face anyway. Put it on the other views by all means, but first person? Makes no sense.

Watevaman

The flare "bits" themselves might be a bit much but the general aura of the sun is pretty good at sunset/sunrise. There hasn't been a game out there yet where driving into the sun actually makes it hard to see the road like it is for me in real life. I was driving at Lakeville/Sonoma earlier and was surprised at how well the sun setting affected my vision.

The flare "bits" themselves might be a bit much but the general aura of the sun is pretty good at sunset/sunrise. There hasn't been a game out there yet where driving into the sun actually makes it hard to see the road like it is for me in real life. I was driving at Lakeville/Sonoma earlier and was surprised at how well the sun setting affected my vision.
GTR2 did it in 2006... and while they put unnecessary artifacts in their flare too, it still seems a damn sight more realistic (when I think of how it looks to drive towards a low sun).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6oY3kWv0fo

Watevaman

GTR2's sun effect is nowhere near as strong as it is in real life though. I can still clearly see everything except it's fairly washed out in GTR2.

Blizzard

Banned
GTR2 did it in 2006... and while they put unnecessary artifacts in their flare too, it still seems a damn sight more realistic (when I think of how it looks to drive towards a low sun).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6oY3kWv0fo
Augh YouTube is so SLOW to load anything now, even on low resolution.

And 16 seconds or so in, the sun seems to have that weird full radial effect practically through solid trees even past the gap, which doesn't seem super realistic to me.

markao

I hate that kind of lens flare. Photography enthusiasts will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that kind of flare can only occur through a camera with a complex lens array. Certainly not your goddamn face anyway. Put it on the other views by all means, but first person? Makes no sense.
I was going to add it to the post, as I figured someone would post this ;), but forgot. They already have four different flare options (incl. non, as was the case with GTR2), I think in next weeks build, so don't worry to much.

Top Bottom