• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Hedrush

The penalty system is very harsh. Go off track by the tiniest amount and your lap is invalidated even though your losing precious seconds and dropping places. Sometimes it will even invalidate the following lap also.

ValfarHL

The game doesn't know if you're saving or losing seconds. Next lap invalidated happens when you run off close to the finishing line. This is to prevent false lap times when cutting the last corner or sumsuch.

Stay on the road, mate. ;-)

The main problem turns out for me that on PC:

1. the tire screech sounds are way too soft, to the point of being completely inaudible most of the times, so you can't hear when your losing grip sideways or locking any wheels when braking.
2. the default force feedback settings *per car* are off. They default to 26, which is far too little. Usually they need to be in the high 60s at least for you to start to feel your car hit the curbs. Even then though, contact with curbs is underreported at least on my DF Pro wheel.

I also tried driving with 3 screen support, and this is a real treat. It doesn't perfectly support it yet (the perspective seems a little off, making the center of the screen a bit too small, so waiting for a 3-screen setting as Assetto Corsa has), but otherwise it looks wonderful. Here the field of view setting for Cockpit and/or Helmet cams need to be at least 130 though before you can actually see enough of the car (i.e. including the speedometer, rpm, etc.).

So it needs slighly more work then, but otherwise, you can tell that the game has good physics underneath. I'm comparing, say, the Clio Cup car with my own driving in a Swith Rent4Ring car on the Nurburgring, and the behavior is very similar, and the G-forces are also very well simulated.

I also would recommend everyone to start with the Clio rather than the karts. They are surprisingly hard to drive (they chose difficult tracks, and don't really give you an opportunity to get to learn them in the career).

Korezo

Is the fake Suzaku circuit in pcars suppose be the same as the real one, because they feel nothing alike. It feels like a complete different track and thats sad because thats my favorite track to race online thanks to GT5 Prologue. Or maybe GT5-6 was a bad presentation of the track.

Hedrush

The game doesn't know if you're saving or losing seconds. Next lap invalidated happens when you run off close to the finishing line. This is to prevent false lap times when cutting the last corner or sumsuch.

Stay on the road, mate. ;-)

Haha, yeah I'm trying but surely you should be allowed a small window of error when it comes to going off track. It's literally penalizing me for going off track by less than a tyres width.

Started in Formula Rookie for the career and really enjoying it. Fun little cars to master. Love the way the race weekends are set up as well, especially as you can set the race distance etc...

Just had a few annoyances with some of the control settings for my Fanatec wheel (PS4). It really recognises the GT3 in the settings menu, but it only shows half the FF settings. It also doesn't show the per vehicle FF settings in the race menu. All the key bindings are also set up for a controller and it resets every time I reset the game. The deadzone is huge on the wheel, even after messing with a bunch of the settings on the wheel itself. Hopefully a future patch can sort these issues.

Even with those wheel issues I'm really enjoying the game, it's about time we got a more motorsports focused racing sim on console.

-Amon-

I can drive pretty much anything without assists with the following, it took me many, many hours, to come up with something good.

Steering deadzone 6
Steering sensitivity 10
Throttle deadzone 20
Throttle sensitivity 50
Brake deadzone 10
Brake sensitivity 30
Speed sensitivity 70
Controller filtering 30
Controller input mode 2
Advanced on
steering dampening on
Visual wheel filtering off
opposite lock help off

These are good settings.

Now I can push for 5 laps in a lotus 72 at Watkins glen short, with no assist, without killing myself.

Good job, thanks.

LilJoka

Is the fake Suzaku circuit in pcars suppose be the same as the real one, because they feel nothing alike. It feels like a complete different track and thats sad because thats my favorite track to race online thanks to GT5 Prologue. Or maybe GT5-6 was a bad presentation of the track.

There are 2 corners missing, so no way is it trying to be authentic.

I have to say I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't try Assetto Corsa with pad or wheel as PCars is a big let down in comparison. It seems like people are flocking to it for graphics then feeling something better than GT/Forza but in reality you are missing out big time.

Yes AC career is not fleshed out and it doesn't hold your hand with a narrator etc, but it really shines when you get on track. The graphics feel more natural rather than over processed in PCars. The road doesn't feel like a perfect layer of Tarmac with small nuances brought through the wheel. The cars react realistically over kerbs and don't fly in the air, the FFB has much better progression and gives greater sense of grip. I think I could go on, I wanted Pcars to be my Forza fix for PC but it just isn't there.

The number of UI bugs alone are a turn off for a game with this budget and retail cost. The FFB settings are endless with no descriptions, almost like debug settings.

The good thing is that I was able to find an AC lobby online without the clowns, maybe most have migrated to PCars temporarily (no offence, there are idiots on all sims), and was able to run an awesome race with close fights throughout. There are inherent problems with AC too, but atleast the core experience is extremely solid. PCars seems to try to do a lot but really falls short at each stop except graphics.

Basic things missing like track maps at the selection screen, can't tell what assists are on when in race, can't see driver pings etc... There is no way to set track temperature or grip, no way to get live time for real time weather, the headlights seem to do nothing to illuminate the road, just its surroundings, the non laser scanned tracks have much to be desired when compared to AC, even Forza.

I think I could go on but I don't want to shit on peoples parade, I have nothing against PCars, but I would hope people do try other sims atleast on PC, there is no reason to dismiss them without trying.

Haha, yeah I'm trying but surely you should be allowed a small window of error when it comes to going off track. It's literally penalizing me for going off track by less than a tyres width.

Damn right.

In last night's GAF race, it was assigning fifteen minute cut speed penalties for driving into the pit.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Asking again:

Anyone have accurate FoV settings for a 21:9 aspect ratio? I've settled on 100 for everything save cockpit and helmet cam, which I set @ 110 and 101 (max possible), respectively.

LoveCake

Yeah I did include the dashes

Thanks for the help, but nothing works, i have tried it on different browsers as well, i have no choice but to email them.

I have had contact on another forum where others have the same issue.

This has already put a downer on the game for me :(

There are 2 corners missing, so no way is it trying to be authentic.

I have to say I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't try Assetto Corsa with pad or wheel as PCars is a big let down in comparison.
[...] The road doesn't feel like a perfect layer of Tarmac with small nuances brought through the wheel. The cars react realistically over kerbs and don't fly in the air, the FFB has much better progression and gives greater sense of grip. I think I could go on, I wanted Pcars to be my Forza fix for PC but it just isn't there.
[...]
I think I could go on but I don't want to shit on peoples parade, I have nothing against PCars, but I would hope people do try other sims atleast on PC, there is no reason to dismiss them without trying.

I really like the soft FFB of Project CARS. It's something very different from other titles, but it goes for authentic feeling of a real wold cars steering wheel feel rather than trying to compensate for missing sensory impressions.

Maybe you could do a time-trial comparison of the same car on the same track in AC and PCARS for a track that you think seems off in PCARS (but has no corners missing) to underpin your feeling/opinion.

Anton668

looks like one of these days i'm going to have to figure out how to make my own custom liverys. Which is going to be a bit of a bitch seeing as how my gimp skills are.... sub par at best. :(

Having great fun with this on X1. Just did an invitation event where I could choose to drive the atom or R8 (went R8)
Qualified 3rd, then it started to rain and I span out ending up 20th out of 30.

There is a bug regarding steering lock and the known fix is to set deadzone to 0. My settings I found work well are:

Steering Deadzone 0
Steering Sensitivity 0
Throttle Deadzone 20
Throttle Sensitivity 0
Brake Deadzone 10
Brake Sensitivity 50
Clutch Deadzone 15
Clutch Sensitivity 45
Speed Sensitivity 90
Controller Filtering Sensitivity 5

Controller Input Mode 1
Soft Steering Dampening Off
Visual Wheel Filtering On
Opposite Lock Help On

For the love of god, thank you.

Any actual way to select a livery and race with it? I go to the garage and choose one but it never lets me use it and always goes back to random.

Mascot

Just had a few annoyances with some of the control settings for my Fanatec wheel (PS4). It really recognises the GT3 in the settings menu, but it only shows half the FF settings. It also doesn't show the per vehicle FF settings in the race menu. All the key bindings are also set up for a controller and it resets every time I reset the game. The deadzone is huge on the wheel, even after messing with a bunch of the settings on the wheel itself. Hopefully a future patch can sort these issue.

Got similar issues with my GT2 on PS4. Check back a few pages for my posts.
When you select liveries with the wheel dpad does it skip every other one?

Momentary

Banned
Loving this game. I'm still karting it up in career, but I went from hating it to actually loving it. I'm glad I stuck with karting even though I was having a rough ass time in the beginning.

leng jai

I want to love this game, but it's feeling a bit too rough and inconsistent for my liking. The career mode and interface are a big letdown as well. Hopefully they can fix it up a bit with patches because there is a great game underneath the bugs and clunkiness.

cackhyena

Loving this game. I'm still karting it up in career, but I went from hating it to actually loving it. I'm glad I stuck with karting even though I was having a rough ass time in the beginning.
For me, kart racing with cockpit view and fov pulled out wide is sooooooo good. The sense of speed is great.

Maloney

The DLC code that came in the box is invalid as well, i don't know what the website is for, why don't the codes just work on the PSN shop?

There must be other people with the Limited Edition & people with pre-order DLC on the PS4, how are they getting their content?

Nobody seems to be replying or answering to these questions, i don't know what to do.

I got an emailed pre order code from Amazon. I just followed these instructions:

Redemption Instructions:

- Visit link "http://www.dlc-projectcars.com/"
- Enter your code, select your country, and enter your email address
- Click 'Validate' and you will receive the DLC code
- Enter your DLC code on Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam

I copied and pasted the code on my email, dashes and all.

I got an email almost immediately with a redeemable code for PSN and it worked fine.

Asking again:

Anyone have accurate FoV settings for a 21:9 aspect ratio? I've settled on 100 for everything save cockpit and helmet cam, which I set @ 110 and 101 (max possible), respectively.
Aspect ratio is only one factor in determining FOV - you also need to tell us the size of the display and the distance it is from your eyes.

Bydobob

Should be picking this up in a few days. Anyone care to give their experiences with a G27 wheel on PC? My go-to sim is R-Factor 2 for direct comparison, so you could say it has a lot to measure up to.

Ah, thanks for the heads up. I've just been tweaking some on-wheel settings and am happy with the feel and control - it's the additional FFB configs I want to access. I'll leave things well alone and see if a patch is incoming. It sucks that some people can't use theirs at all.

It's worth noting - mine only works in PC mode, NOT Playstation 3 mode. It sucks a little because the various buttons don't light up with the various PS symbols like they do on the PS3, but it's a minor gripe. I wonder if those people experiencing problems are trying to use theirs in PS3 mode..?

Non-related, but I just did a long dawn-to-dusk race with a full grid at RA in the Z4 GT3 and it was frikkin' incredible. I realy do love the way these cars drive.

When Fanatec announced that the wheels would work they said it would only work in pc mode. It's either a problem with the drivers they created or how SMS implemented them into the game.

hitgirl

Game has made me realize how much of a casual I am. I love that it is 60 fps though. I think I'll enjoy it the more I get into it. But first impressions are I think DriveClub is more my speed. However, I hate the drift things in DC and love the qualifying in Project Cars.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Aspect ratio is only one factor in determining FOV - you also need to tell us the size of the display and the distance it is from your eyes.

50" Toshiba, but its a 1080p screen so I run 1920x810 to get the 21:9 aspect ratio. I would say I sit about 6 feet away on the couch.

Helznicht

50" Toshiba, but its a 1080p screen so I run 1920x810 to get the 21:9 aspect ratio. I would say I sit about 6 feet away on the couch.

how u do dis? i searched and searched and could not find a way to set a resolution my gtx 970 didnt detect (48" Samsung 1080p).

lordxar

Got a chance to try this and I'm in love! Still finishing the download so only one track and car but its damn fun so far. All assists off equals a challenge but a good one. One thing I really dig is being able to turn assists on and off on the fly.

nasanu

Banned
Also known as Godrays, here's an old in-dev screenshot from the first-ish implementation (they look quite a bit better, but should demonstrate the effect well enough).

Wish you could turn these off (yes people I know there are visual options but they don't have an effect at all EDIT: ok so today there DO work.. bugs bugs bugs). They look horrible, like a big pollution fog coming from the sun, its almost comical.

They need to do so much more work on this game. FFB is rubbish (those who say its great, have you never played another sim before?...), the graphics are terrible (anyone seen the Bathurst track? WTF is with the moving grid laid over all the track?), multiplayer has no option to sort games by ping making it totally useless, there are random bugs everywhere and as far as I know SMS have said nothing about finishing the game. Are they just going to leave it like this? After all I am assured that backers were complaining about all these issues years ago and SMS did nothing to resolve them. What will change now?

Its so disappointing because this game obviously has the potential to be brilliant. Not surprised that the reviews are so positive though while the game is broken, after the embarrassment the general press suffered with DC they were always going to be kind to the next high profile racer to come along.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I have just had my PS4 LE version arrive.

It says to get the LE cars i have to go to http://www.dlc-projectcars.com/ it then says enter the code on the slip in the box, location & then email address, but how is this linked to my PS4 - PSN account, it says the same thing for the pre-order content, i don't want to mess anything up you see, anyone done this yet?

When you put in those codes on the web they give you a proper PSN code to redeem on the Playstation. When prompted for an email I just made sure I used the same address that is affiliated with my PSN id.

LilJoka

I really like the soft FFB of Project CARS. It's something very different from other titles, but it goes for authentic feeling of a real wold cars steering wheel feel rather than trying to compensate for missing sensory impressions.

Maybe you could do a time-trial comparison of the same car on the same track in AC and PCARS for a track that you think seems off in PCARS (but has no corners missing) to underpin your feeling/opinion.

I was thinking of doing this but I'm genuinely short of time until my exams are over, after which I'll likley come back to this.

Can someone please tell me how and what the numbers mean for the field of view settings I'm trying to get the camera right in cockpit view

Xbox one

TEH-CJ

Banned
Best racing game ever made. If they added import tuners and Ferrari then there will be no competition. The sound is fucking godly as well..holy crap.

sTiTcH AU

I can drive pretty much anything without assists with the following, it took me many, many hours, to come up with something good.

Steering deadzone 6
Steering sensitivity 10
Throttle deadzone 20
Throttle sensitivity 50
Brake deadzone 10
Brake sensitivity 30
Speed sensitivity 70
Controller filtering 30
Controller input mode 2
Advanced on
steering dampening on
Visual wheel filtering off
opposite lock help off

WOW thank you! These settings very good. I am much more confident in the karts.

Afro

Sound mixing/design is amateur at best compared to Codemater's DiRT Rally. It's rather unfortunate. Almost game breaking for me. Clipping/distortion all over the place. Zero resonance inside cockpit. Harsh, fatiguing, synthetic engine sounds. Bleh.

Blizzard

Banned
One thing about CARS -- didn't they have at least two professional drivers do a ton of testing and feedback on the FFB feel?

I don't know how many wheels they tested, or if their experience was limited to certain cars, or whether those drivers were happy with the end result, but I'm almost certain that there was a push for real-world simulation based on what those drivers had experienced.

Do a lot of other simulators also do this with consulting drivers? Obviously I don't drive racecars so I can't really say whether a car feels right, but I do wonder if in some cases, something is simulating correctly, but an average player would say that it feels wrong.

Miguel81

Controller setting 2 is much more to my liking. I was almost disappointed yesterday, but I'm actually enjoying the hell out of the game now. Really just doing a lot of practice runs with most assists off, except ABS, and full damage on. My graphical settings are mostly on medium, and I'm using a 290. Still waiting for that AMD driver for a performance boost.

Spookie

One thing about CARS -- didn't they have at least two professional drivers do a ton of testing and feedback on the FFB feel?

Yes they used a few drivers who gave feedback, but I don't know what they did to implement that feedback. It's accepted that the road cars are awful and weren't finished in time for release so if you're having trouble with the cars it maybe down to that. You may just, unfortunately, need to do the sim racing thing of sitting there for hours trying to sort out the FFB to get things in order. Both PCars & RRE are guilty of this with so many settings/effects which aren't explained very clearly. Check RacingDepartment and other sim racing forums to see if people have done the leg work for you because out the box the game handles like shit.

To answer your other question: Yeah lots of drivers promote other games- Rubens promotes GSCE, DTM drivers for RRE, AC had Ferrari test drivers I think? Take it with a pinch of salt to be honest.

Sound mixing/design is amateur at best compared to Codemater's DiRT Rally. It's rather unfortunate. Almost game breaking for me. Clipping/distortion all over the place. Zero resonance inside cockpit. Harsh, fatiguing, synthetic engine sounds. Bleh.

Best racing game ever made. If they added import tuners and Ferrari then there will be no competition. The sound is fucking godly as well..holy crap.

NeoGAF.gif

saladine1

Dirt Rally has an amazing sound design. Some of the best work in racing audio to date.
Dave Sullivan and co. must be commended for their outstanding work thus far.

But to call CARS sound design amateurish?
Wow.
Greg Hill and Steve Baysted are among the top guys imo when it comes to audio in racing games.

Anyway, for those interested, there's a good article/Q&A featuring Greg Hill, Steve Baysted and Nick Wiswell on the design of audio in racing games

http://designingsound.org/2014/08/vehicle-engine-design-project-cars-forza-motorsport-5-and-rev/

Got similar issues with my GT2 on PS4. Check back a few pages for my posts.
When you select liveries with the wheel dpad does it skip every other one?

Haven't tried yet, I'll check tonight and report back.

Really hope they can address the Fanatec issues as the rest of the game is fantastic.

dugdug

Banned
Just loaded this up (PC version) for the first time. Am I crazy, or is there no way to exit the game without a keyboard?

Top Bottom