• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Did some more testing with the DualShock 4 on PC.

This game just wasn't made for the controller. It's a complete mess. I'm having to pussyfoot down the track in fear that the car might lose control and I won't be able to recover. Adjustments and counter steering don't feel right at all. Usually, I'm pushing the car as hard as I can, but it's just not possible in this game. That thrill is completely missing due to a lack of controller optimization.

I've played with the settings a ton, and there doesn't seem to be a good balance. Lowering the sensitivity helps a bit, but then then it feels like you're driving JELL-O; it's an unresponsive mess.

That being said, I'm sure the game feels great with a wheel. If anybody has good DualShock 4 settings, please post them because I'm ready to shelf this game. It shouldn't take hours just to get controls to work properly.

Any particular cars you are having issues with? I find the default mode 2 with a DS4 is perfect for me on PC (using InputMapper). However this is with the race cars I normally use. I find the supercar road vehicles really tough.

Vaga

you sure about that?

101211042832928251.jpg

Poor example, still miles ahead for a 5 yo game.

Noobcraft

Poor example, still miles ahead for a 5 yo game.
GT5 did a lot of things right, but the menus were literally the worst. Win a new car in a race? Go back to the main menu and watch a little cinematic of the car pulling up, back out, then go through a few menus to get back to your races. Everything was super cumbersome.

danowat

Banned
Did some more testing with the DualShock 4 on PC.

This game just wasn't made for the controller. It's a complete mess. I'm having to pussyfoot down the track in fear that the car might lose control and I won't be able to recover. Adjustments and counter steering don't feel right at all. Usually, I'm pushing the car as hard as I can, but it's just not possible in this game. That thrill is completely missing due to a lack of controller optimization.

I've played with the settings a ton, and there doesn't seem to be a good balance. Lowering the sensitivity helps a bit, but then then it feels like you're driving JELL-O; it's an unresponsive mess.

That being said, I'm sure the game feels great with a wheel. If anybody has good DualShock 4 settings, please post them because I'm ready to shelf this game. It shouldn't take hours just to get controls to work properly.

I can drive pretty much anything without assists with the following, it took me many, many hours, to come up with something good.

Steering deadzone 6
Steering sensitivity 10
Throttle deadzone 20
Throttle sensitivity 50
Brake deadzone 10
Brake sensitivity 30
Speed sensitivity 70
Controller filtering 30
Controller input mode 2
Advanced on
steering dampening on
Visual wheel filtering off
opposite lock help off

Megasoum

Banned
GT5 did a lot of things right, but the menus were literally the worst. Win a new car in a race? Go back to the main menu and watch a little cinematic of the car pulling up, back out, then go through a few menus to get back to your races. Everything was super cumbersome.

Also it was taking forever to load every screens of the damn menus.

I agree that the UI and front end has a LOT of issues in pCARS but it's nowhere near as bad as GT5.

JP

I'm still very much in the "messing around with the settings" stage at the moment. just trying different cars out on different tracks to get a feel for the game and I wasn't wholly sold on the handing of some of the cars but by god this really hits it's stride when you take the open wheel cars on the track.

Just took the Formula A car out on practice run of Imola and it was fantastic, I really struggled with it and I only just getting around the track once without invalidating my lap times on a nice sunny day.

Just about to take the Lotus 49 Cosworth out around Nordschleife, wish me luck and a quick, painless death!! :(

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Anybody tried the G27 on the PS4 by chance? Only asking as on the previous page someone tried the Fanatec wheel and it works in the game even if it appears as a pad in the options.

Blizzard

Banned
Does anyone have good advice for passing karts in career mode? The course is so narrow and the sprint is so short that it feels very difficult when the AI wants to do bumper cars.

Do we have a GAF group for online races yet?

I'm only using my controller for the moment but would still like to get involved!
I made a barebones public GAF CARS Steam group. Anyone is welcome to join, use the chatroom, or whatever. It should be possible to schedule events too, so just send me a message or whatever and I can look into what's involved to let people add events (if you can't already do them).

Just don't do a ton of reminder popups, as those tend to annoy people.

Quote for group URL

LilJoka

Has anybody got any decent 360 pad settings? Because the defaults are atrocious, how is anyone playing like this?

I'm dumbfounded because Assetto Corsa plays beautifully with a pad!

danowat

Banned
Thinking about the content, in the 15 or so hours I've spent with the game, I've barely scratched the surface.

There is so much depth in the nuances of each car, it makes every single combination almost a game in itself, I reckon it'll take me hundreds of hours to get every combo down.

I know many have moaned about the car list, and on paper it looks meagre, but the reality is different, it really is "all killer no filler"

fozzy

I think I somehow ended my season before I even started it in the 250cc super karts. Having to go through the 125cc karts again. Fucks sake.

nikos

Any particular cars you are having issues with? I find the default mode 2 with a DS4 is perfect for me on PC (using InputMapper). However this is with the race cars I normally use. I find the supercar road vehicles really tough.

Some cars, Le Mans, for example, feel great. Other cars, such as high performance road vehicles, feel like Disney on Ice. I'm sure they're fine with a wheel but it's way too tedious to drive them on a pad. I could practice and get used to it, but it's not worth it to me. I feel like they should have been better optimized for controllers. As much as I love sims, some compromises need to be made on consoles.

I can drive pretty much anything without assists with the following, it took me many, many hours, to come up with something good.

Steering deadzone 6
Steering sensitivity 10
Throttle deadzone 20
Throttle sensitivity 50
Brake deadzone 10
Brake sensitivity 30
Speed sensitivity 70
Controller filtering 30
Controller input mode 2
Advanced on
steering dampening on
Visual wheel filtering off
opposite lock help off

Thanks for posting. Using these settings now and they feel pretty nice.

LoveCake

I have just had my PS4 LE version arrive.

It says to get the LE cars i have to go to http://www.dlc-projectcars.com/ it then says enter the code on the slip in the box, location & then email address, but how is this linked to my PS4 - PSN account, it says the same thing for the pre-order content, i don't want to mess anything up you see, anyone done this yet?

danowat

Banned
Some cars, Le Mans, for example, feel great. Other cars, such as high performance road vehicles, feel like Disney on Ice. I'm sure they're fine with a wheel but it's way too tedious to drive them on a pad. I could practice and get used to it, but it's not worth it to me. I feel like they should have been better optimized for controllers. As much as I love sims, some compromises need to be made on consoles.

Thanks for posting. Using these settings now and they feel pretty nice.

Don't feel bad about having to put some assists on, some of the cars are hard to drive IRL with the assists off.

Edit : if you are struggling with throttle response, reduce throttle deadzone and sensitivey a bit.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I'm really enjoying the game but man some of these glitches and bugs should have been sorted. I'm spotting quite a few and I've only been playing for 2 days. Surely these would have been spotted in the coming months from the community to report.

Do you have to turn headlights on yourself of something? Doing a race that heads into the night and my lights aren't turning on. Which is fun for unlit sections of circuits.

In addition half the time the game just completely ignores time progression settings.

And another bug... when I return to the track selection screen it always displays the last chosen track in the scroll list, but the image and detail on the right is of a completely different track.

Blizzard

Banned
Do you have to turn headlights on yourself of something? Doing a race that heads into the night and my lights aren't turning on. Which is fun for unlit sections of circuits.

In addition half the time the game just completely ignores time progression settings.

And another bug... when I return to the track selection screen it always displays the last chosen track in the scroll list, but the image and detail on the right is of a completely different track.
At least on the 360 controller, up on the d-pad toggles headlights. Wipers were automatic for me but that may be an option somewhere.

Mascot

Anybody tried the G27 on the PS4 by chance? Only asking as on the previous page someone tried the Fanatec wheel and it works in the game even if it appears as a pad in the options.

The Fanatec wheels are (semi-)officially supported on PS4 (although some issues need patching). Logitech wheels simply don't work at the moment with PS4.

Spookie

Don't feel bad about having to put some assists on, some of the cars are hard to drive IRL with the assists off.

Uh, it's wildly reported that the road cars aren't as well developed as the racing cars. He wouldn't be the first to make that comment.

fresquito

TBH, I did wonder just how much impact the 80000 developers had on the game, because there are glaring things in the game that should be better, the UI being one of them.
My comment may have been a little misleading. The UI and HUD department worked mainly in one direction. There was a lot of feedback from members, but there was none listening on the other side.

Other sections had a lot of great feedback going back and forth. Even if you don't like sims, even racers, watching and taking part in the development of a videogame has been a very interesting experience.

I'll say though that the response from a big part of the community, both inside and outside, has been really underwhelming. So many people ignoring the basics of game development talking about this game. I dearly remember the first batch of rage-refunds because the FFB wasn't good, 20 builds in the development proccess, when the game was still three years away from release :lol

Or the everlasting comparishions with games alreaady released and then patched to hell and back.

saladine1

lol, after qualifying 1st for a race, the game decided that instead of facing me in the right direction for the automatic rolling start in the main race, it made me go in the other direction instead. Now, that's a glitch.

Anyway, just raced Cadwell Park for the first time ever. Wow, what a track!

Mascot

lol, after qualifying 1st for a race, the game decided that instead of facing me in the right direction for the automatic rolling start in the main race, it made me go in the other direction instead. Now, that's a glitch.

Ha ha..! That's the best one yet Sal.

Liking the audio? How's the new PC?

Skyzard

Banned
Game time? (PC)

We can just set it to public so we can see it on the list but also have a regular password or something.

How about gafCars for the server name and the password, quote to see:

I'll try to host one soonishhhh.

I'll add 10mins practice. Or is 10mins qualifying more fair? 5minutes of both? Doesn't seem as good for the break in practice, I dunno. Maybe 10 mins qualifying. Though that might make the final race less eventful.

saladine1

Ha ha..! That's the best one yet Sal.

Liking the audio? How's the new PC?

Loving the audio mate. Lots of authentic sounds/effects that other games should emulate. Although, as stated before, I would love to see setting that either swaps exterior/interior samples or adjusts engine to exhaust mix because those exterior sounds are absolutely glorious!

PC build should've happened a long fucking time ago!

Everything on high/ultra (AA medium) and getting 80fps on average in dry conditions whilst rain conditions drops to around 55 on average. More than happy with the performance.

You should've went PC mate!

Oh, and a tip for those on Nvidia cards, diasble Shadowplay if you have it enabled. For some reason, when I disabled mine, FPS shot up.

That you can see your position in the time trial leaderboard is cool, but completely useless unless I know against how many other people I was competing...

"Fuck me! I'm 8th in the world! ...wait, there are only 35 people on this leaderboard :( " (and I wouldn't even have known that, had I not manually scrolled down a bit)

ValfarHL

No official word from SMS concerning patching the most known (and troublesome) issues?

I'm having a blast when I'm driving, but there's a lot of small and annoying bugs.

Yes please to exterior sound when in cockpit.

Pretty please please.

Stacey

Banned
Caved in and bought the Digital edition for PS4.

Bugs, bugs everywhere. Disappearing vehicles, sound drops, graphics glitches and reeeeeeeeally slow car selections.

The UI could do with some work, sometimes you have absolutely no idea what to press to progress.

Apart from that I'm really impressed with the game, handling, audio and general gameplay, they're top notch,

Visually it's hit and miss, lod swaps are literally 10ft in front of you, shadow pop-in and a few instances of clipping but my god sometimes it can look beautiful.

Overall though, really enjoying it and it's been a while that I've thought of hurrying home from work to play a game, Project Cars is that game :)

EDIT :: Re-reading my post, its quite contradictary :p

Stacey

Banned
What is meant by the description of the modified dlc when it says "limited run"?

Are you only allowed to use them a specific number of times then they are deleted or is it for specific game modes?

What is meant by the description of the modified dlc when it says "limited run"?

Are you only allowed to use them a specific number of times then they are deleted or is it for specific game modes?

in real life it would mean not many of those cars are made

for this game it's the description because they are limited edition DLC...no limitations

LoveCake

Has anyone else had problems redeeming the pre-order DLC or Limited Edition DLC codes?

I have just installed the Limited Edition version on my PS4, i went into the store in the game & put in the DLC code & it says that the code was no good, i then went to the site listed on the DLC insert http://www.dlc-projectcars.com/ i then put in the code again & it says that the code in invalid, i have also tried the pre-order DLC code i got from the retailer & it says that is a invalid code as well.

On the http://www.dlc-projectcars.com/ site all it asks for is the code, my country & email address, how is this tied to my PSN account?

I am getting zero help from the official forum, i can email them but they are not open until monday & then it may take days to get a reply.
really not happy about this at all :(

_machine

I have just installed the Limited Edition version on my PS4, i went into the store in the game & put in the DLC code & it says that the code was no good, i then went to the site listed on the DLC insert http://www.dlc-projectcars.com/ i then put in the code again & it says that the code in invalid, i have also tried the pre-order DLC code i got from the retailer & it says that is a invalid code as well.

On the http://www.dlc-projectcars.com/ site all it asks for is the code, my country & email address, how is this tied to my PSN account?
I don't really know the full procedure, but I do believe you're supposed to enter the code on that site (can someone else confirm?). I did a quick check over on WMD and didn't see any answer or posts about similar issues. Apart from that I can't really help you, I only had similar issues with pre-order DLC with GT6 and the retailer had to send me a new code.

LoveCake

I don't really know the full procedure, but I do believe you're supposed to enter the code on that site (can someone else confirm?). I did a quick check over on WMD and didn't see any answer or posts about similar issues. Apart from that I can't really help you, I only had similar issues with pre-order DLC with GT6 and the retailer had to send me a new code.

The DLC code that came in the box is invalid as well, i don't know what the website is for, why don't the codes just work on the PSN shop?

There must be other people with the Limited Edition & people with pre-order DLC on the PS4, how are they getting their content?

Nobody seems to be replying or answering to these questions, i don't know what to do.

Having great fun with this on X1. Just did an invitation event where I could choose to drive the atom or R8 (went R8)
Qualified 3rd, then it started to rain and I span out ending up 20th out of 30.

There is a bug regarding steering lock and the known fix is to set deadzone to 0. My settings I found work well are:

Steering Deadzone 0
Steering Sensitivity 0
Throttle Deadzone 20
Throttle Sensitivity 0
Brake Deadzone 10
Brake Sensitivity 50
Clutch Deadzone 15
Clutch Sensitivity 45
Speed Sensitivity 90
Controller Filtering Sensitivity 5

Controller Input Mode 1
Soft Steering Dampening Off
Visual Wheel Filtering On
Opposite Lock Help On

Dunkers92

For the LE codes you go to the dlc-projectcars.com site and enter the codes, email address and country. Once you click validate it should then generate a code that you can use on PSN. It's such an unnecessary way of doing everything really

On the game, I am loving it so far. Big learning curve but it's so satisfying when you can consistently put in good times

LoveCake

For the LE codes you go to the dlc-projectcars.com site and enter the codes, email address and country. Once you click validate it should then generate a code that you can use on PSN. It's such an unnecessary way of doing everything really

Have you done this yourself?

Do they email you the PSN code or do they show it on the site?

Dunkers92

Have you done this yourself?

Do they email you the PSN code or do they show it on the site?

Yep. Like a lot of people I initially entered the codes straight into PSN and it said invalid. Then I went to the dlc project cars site and it worked.

It generated a code instantly on the site when I pressed validate. It also sent me an email with the code

LoveCake

Yep. Like a lot of people I initially entered the codes straight into PSN and it said invalid. Then I went to the dlc project cars site and it worked.

It generated a code instantly on the site when I pressed validate. It also sent me an email with the code

Ok thank you, i will keep trying, do you include the dashes "-" in the code?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there any point pitting if it starts raining when the race is only 2-3 laps? If you are doing a full length race, or even 5-10 laps it might make sense, but with the defaults it just seems unnecessary. Tbh for short races I wish it wouldn't vary the weather at all because of that

Top Bottom