• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cars review thread

danowat

Banned
meristation.com 8.8/10 (quote translated with Google, so I apologies for any inaccuracies)

Conclusion:
Project Cars has been a jewel in the punishing terrain of full car simulation. It will be a benchmark and it is clear that will gradually widen between contents Slightyly Mad own as well as challenges and community events. His obsession with identity management provide each car -not many expected, yes- and weather conditions make mark realistically how we conduct comes dressed in an AI that responds really well and coherently, in an undeniably solid graphics engine and with some impressive visual details, or a set of possible configurations in all modes that will play the lover of mechanics for months, as each change affects exercised entirely responses and behaviors on track. Cochazos of different ranges and endless real and imaginary circuits to put them on the edge and bite us against the world. This is one of those blockbusters of motorsport at virtually no lack of anything, either multiplayer online tools and social aspects that can strain even early in the overview of e-Sports. There are plans for it.

In the future it will come to Wii U, but One moment PS4 and has been known to give very good size with a consistent and worthy technical bill. Of course, the PC version is the one that takes the cake at all, even in compatibility with peripherals, more stingy than you might expect misfortune. They boosted with Nvidia graphics cards (mediocre ATI behavior), the treatment of light, the overwhelming climate that affects fully the gameplay, modeled vehicles or their interiors are a joy as the computer user has never lived. Moreover with Oculus Rift subsequent implementation -of but almost point-or multi-screen support for better immersion in its numerous interior chambers. That severe that simulation can not be accompanied by good graphic finish ended. Project Cars is the answer to many requests and a collective project that absorbed all good ideas, it is a round full of multiples equation also provides a good high score. Pure motor.

http://www.meristation.com.mx/xbox-one/project-cars/analisis-juego/1946656

Talax

How long does it take for Digital Foundry to come out with a comparison analysis? Anyone know?

Looks to be a stellar game based on the reviews.

driver116

Disappointing to hear about the borked AI. Can't say I noticed when I played it the other day - I did spend most of the time off the track though.

_machine

Already pCARS is reviewing higher than I thought it might. I didn't doubt the quality and content, i just thought a lot of reviewers wouldn't 'get' what it's trying to achieve. The scores are even more encouraging considering the mention of bugs and glitches (sadly not unexpected at launch these days) - once those are inevitable (hopefully!) patched out and other tweaks made pCARS should be be even more complete, especially once DLC starts rolling out.
I agree, I've been pleasantly surprised how well reviews have understood and received the vision of the game. I can't say I agree with a few criticizing the AI, because outside of few situations it's easily the best racing game AI I've played and the remaining car/track combos that have issues are being worked on and some) are quite unlikely scenarios in rea life, and also I've seen someone criticize the sounds which are pretty great overall. UI on the other hand is definitely something that could be more pleasant, but on the upside it's really snappy and going back to GT6 feels like hell with it's UI loading times.

Percy

Banned
PCars has been looking pretty good, so I'm in for sure. Been way too long since there's been a genuinely good sim racer on shelves so this should prove quite a treat if it is as good as is being suggested.

Sounds better than Driveclub.

What a truly embarassing piece of console war bait to post.

danowat

Banned
Regardless of comparisons (against games that shouldn't be compared.......)

It's looking very positive so far, actually more positive than I thought, roll on tomorrow!

Conduit

Banned
does it have split screen on PS4?

Tempted - the comments so far seem mixed but I like the sound of the core of the game, also its approachability which may raise the hackles on the serious sim guys but is music to my ears.

Slightly unsure about the weird ghosting on PS4 being talked about, plus the potential for the rumble triggers on Xbox to give that version the edge (but it needs to be solid 60fps for me to consider that, and the previous DF impressions with the XB1 version having more frame drops makes me nervous that even if they improved it, it may still be more susceptible to drops than the PS4)

Here is what devs said about "ghosting"

"It's not a bug. It's a side effect of the way we do AA on PS4, and is arguably a good thing (hear me out!). It's there, and very noticeable from static images of non-direct feed footage especially, but also undeniably in the game itself (mainly when paused). I spotted it and reported it as soon as it got checked in long ago (so we didn't "miss it" as many would have you believe).

However, I also "spotted" that the PS4 version has really lovely image quality, a very smooth and slightly soft (not low res!), "non-gamey" look, which is very natural, and (imo!) rather fantastic, due to this very clever AA approach. It also greatly minimises the distant "shimmer" you often see in console racing games, which is a side effect of low quality AA on thin vertical objects such as fences.

So yes, the ghosting effect is there, if you look hard enough. The advantages far outweigh this small disadvantage however. Notwithstanding that, if customer feedback demands it, we have a plan to add a UI slider in a future update, which will enable you to tune out the ghosting, at the expense of more aliasing and distant shimmer."

Forkball

Cool, we need more high quality racing games. I'll wait for some player impressions before picking it up though.

danowat

Banned
Insidegamer.nl 8/10

Expect quite a challenge when you start Project CARS, but one that will give you great satisfaction if you have heart for racing. It's a tight and spectacular simulation that are also fills a nice niche on the consoles. Visually there are some inaccuracies and the menu we get nightmares, but that expresses the fun but a small part.

http://www.insidegamer.nl/recensies/116796/project-cars-review-alleen-voor-snelle-bikkels

PU.nl 85/100

Project Cars has become a delicious hardcore racer simulator without the game is boring because of it. Because of the many options the casual gamers will be deterred, but the real car freaks will get a very big smile on their face!

http://www.pu.nl/artikelen/review/project-cars-review/

Carthrottle.com

Perhaps it’s been a victim of its own hype, but I can’t help but feel mildly disappointed with Project Cars. It never really promised to be anything other than beautiful, and on that front it’s certainly delivered, but with all the promotion using real racing drivers, I was hoping for a slightly more sim-like experience.

The career mode looks vast and well thought out, though it’s incomplete in my review copy so I’ll revisit that in a couple of weeks, and with nobody to play before release I’ve avoided the online experience. Stay tuned for further updates.

The fact there are still a few bugs on release is just an aspect of modern gaming we’ve all had to get used to, but to be fair to the Project Cars team, they have waited as long as possible to make it run as smooth as possible. With a bit of TLC and patch-delivering DLC, this game will be brilliant. It hasn’t quite done enough to topple the big guns quite yet, but it’s a valiant effort and is genuinely great fun to play.

http://www.carthrottle.com/post/project-cars-is-finally-here-but-does-it-live-up-to-the-hype/

saladine1

Already pCARS is reviewing higher than I thought it might. I didn't doubt the quality and content, i just thought a lot of reviewers wouldn't 'get' what it's trying to achieve. The scores are even more encouraging considering the mention of bugs and glitches (sadly not unexpected at launch these days) - once those are inevitable (hopefully!) patched out and other tweaks made pCARS should be be even more complete, especially once DLC starts rolling out.

Yeah, I'm surprised as well.
Good to see..

nib95

Banned
I've had it pre ordered for the longest time, and would have kept my order either way, but I'm definitely glad to see it being really well received either way. Hope it sells well too.

Kane1345

Wait I'm confused the Gamereactor EU review says this

While there is a Rewind function to erase mistakes on the race course, the experience here isn't about repeated use until you cross the finishing line first. Every aspect of the car and the racing conditions needs to be weighed, considered if you're to succeed.

I thought there was no rewind?

danowat

Banned
Hardcore Gamer 4/5

Simply put, Project CARS is simulation racing done right. The subtlety of the nearly countless gameplay tweaks, combined with a robust open Career mode, makes for an experience that racing fans should fall in love with. Of course, none of this would be possible without driving that feels tight, workable and exciting, which is certainly present in droves. Oh, and it’s hard not to notice that this is quite possibly the best looking racing game of all time. Outside of its cluttered user interface, everything about Project CARS seems to be thoughtfully designed, which should be a testament to having the power of the community assisting development. Polyphony Digital and Turn 10 Studios should be on the look-out, a new challenger has approached.

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2015/05/06/review-project-cars/147245/

Shacknews 6/10

here are over 70 vehicles available to drive in Project Cars, and they all look and sound accurate to their real-world representations. I could only assume they also perform just like the real thing as I have never sat behind the wheel of any of these cars, like the BMW Z4 GT3 or McLaren P1. All of my previous video-game driving experience went out the window as I needed to rely on real-world driving mechanics to succeed in Project Cars. Instead of keeping the gas pushed down for the majority of the race, I needed to ease off of it a lot more as I finessed my car through the twists and turns of each track. I also needed to make sure I didn’t accelerate too far into a turn or else I would find myself sliding off of the track.

Because of that, I feel Project Cars won’t receive the mass appeal games like Forza Horizon 2 or DriveClub have received. Instead, only those who are really into realistic driving simulators may flock towards Project Cars, although they might get bored easily considering there really aren’t any unique game modes either. It carries a sense of realism in spades, but there isn't much under the hood. At least it supports VR headsets, so I could also see those looking to get that level of immersion within their racing games giving Project Cars a shot. Outside of those target demographics, Project Cars will most likely frustrate mainstream racing fans with its real-world driving mechanics, but may entertain realistic driving simulator fans who know their way through similar games. One thing is for sure: Slightly Mad has created one beautiful racing sim that highlights the look and feel of high performace vehicles.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/89449/project-cars-review-bringing-up-the-rear

Quite a few people get what the game is about. From what I see in the other thread the pCars community seems to have strapped themselves in a bubble thinking they're in a minority and the rest of the world hates pure motorsport sims. Guess what, the drive-bys and one liner comparisons aren't exclusive to pCars threads. There's no 'us vs them'. Most people looking forward to the game know what it is about and what they're getting into.

Rndm

I've had it pre ordered for the longest time, and would have kept my order either way, but I'm definitely glad to see it being really well received either way. Hope it sells well too.

Me too.

Now I can say it: It is weird to me that a team with so much talent and passion for racing games are not wanted or don't get supported by a publisher to make the game they want the way they want to and instead need to crowdfund it on order to make it happen. This shows they can. It's kind of sad that the industries big players keep throwing money into existing IPs or very streamlined games (e.g. Watch_Dogs, The Order, Titanfall (IMHO!!)).

I'm happy that the game is getting a very positive response so far and most importantly, those playing it already seem to like it a lot too. Hope they can keep working like this and make more such games on their own. It seems to work well and might even become an inspiration for other devs feeling constrained by a publisher that cares more about marketing and numbers than quality. Quality is king though and I'm sure Project Cars will do well. I doubt however that many will be excited once Watch_Dogs 2 gets announced.

Anyway, passionate racing fans have many reasons to be happy right now with those many passionate devs from the UK, aka SMS and Codemasters.

Putty

They are a decent site.

Also good for getting Nintendo games that are hard to get hold of without paying more then what they were at release.

They are basically a hub though so orders are usually outsourced from several different warehouses.

ive never had a problem though,

Wonder wh ythe XB1 version is £35 and PS4 £45?

Gameseek are great, i've been using them for about a year as you generally recieve a day or 2 before release.

martynzs

Neo Member
So chuffed this is reviewing well - I always knew it would be good from a petrol-heads perspective, but was unsure the general media would 'get it'.

Pat on the back SMS.

driver116

Wonder wh ythe XB1 version is £35 and PS4 £45?

Gameseek are great, i've been using them for about a year as you generally recieve a day or 2 before release.

Don't pre-orders start low and eventually become more expensive towards release?

Mohonky

iMYe3zr83p4nv.gif

This is the best reaction gif I have ever seen lol.

Top Bottom