• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cars review thread

Some people just don't like sim games? Why is that so hard to believe?

People say they should have made someone who likes sim games review but then I can just say he rated it too high because he's biased towards sim games.

It's just a dudes opinion, not sure why people get up in arms about.

I disagree. It's a disservice to people who are fans of sims. It would work the same way for any other media. Don't send someone who hates horror movies to review Friday the 13th. Don't send someone who dislikes rap music to review an album from Eminem. What would be the point in doing that?

Garibaldi

Some people just don't like sim games? Why is that so hard to believe?

People say they should have made someone who likes sim games review but then I can just say he rated it too high because he's biased towards sim games.

It's just a dudes opinion, not sure why people get up in arms about.

I'm not up in arms. I just don't see the point in marking something against something it isn't rather than the merits of what it actually is. Opinion or no opinion.

I disagree. It's a disservice to people who are fans of sims. It would work the same way for any other media. Don't send someone who hates horror movies to review Friday the 13th. Don't send someone who dislikes rap music to review an album from Eminem. What would be the point in doing that?

What's the point of sending someone who likes those things? They just going to have a bias and mark them high? You may as well be asking what is the point of reviews at all.

Dilly

Banned
What's the point of sending someone who likes those things? They just going to have a bias and mark them high? You may as well be asking what is the point of reviews at all.

That really doesn't make sense.

People who like a certain genre, have experience in that genre and are also interested in the real life counterparts it is trying to simulate. That doesn't necessarily mean it will get higher ratings.

sourc3d

Because they will have the experience of enjoying the best 'of those things' to be able to offer the most informed opinion on whether 'this new thing' is as good/better/or worse' as the best 'of those things'

bombshell

You know a game can be marked down for something within the realm of what it's trying to achieve, right?

People who like a certain genre, have experience in that genre and are also interested in the real life counterparts it is trying to simulate. That doesn't necessarily mean it will get higher ratings.

I agree. I'm a huge sportsgamer and whenever a new FIFA comes out I am way more critical of it than my more casual fans. They are like "wow look at the players and those fans in the stadium!!!" I'm more like "well in MLB 15 the fans look way nicer and NBA 2k has better player models".
IMO you can't judge a game fairly if you aren't aware of the competitors.

Because at the least they aren't ignorant of the subject matter and can better speak to its strengths and weaknesses.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Game looks solid. This would be no brainer for me if I had a good PC and racing wheel.

Because they will have the experience of enjoying the best 'of those things' to be able to offer the most informed opinion on whether 'this new thing' is as good/better/or worse' as the best 'of those things'

You know a game can be marked down for something within the realm of what it's trying to achieve, right?

So only people who has experience in a genre are allowed to rate it? All other opinions are invalid or something? You think there is nobody out there who will see things from the reviewers perspective that also don't have any past experiences with sims or just don't like sims but wanted to check this game out?

The guy says why he didn't enjoy the game because of the simulator feel to it, he's probably more of a Driveclub Forza fan and prefers that which is fine, not sure what's to get upset about.

artsi

Because this is like having headphones reviewed by someone who likes speakers more and gives amazing hifi cans a score of 1/10 because you can't listen to them in a living room together with many people.

Yeah a valid point sure, but if you want a good pair of headphones that review is useless.

Trojan X

Banned

Sorry, that doesn't make sense.

If you a reviewer and you like all types of games including sims then you can review games like Project Cars because you know what elements to look and keep your mind open for something new. Same applies for reviewers that like FPS, Shooters, Platform games. Me, I don't like point and click games so I never reviewed them but I would and did review everything else. If you like 'em and can play 'em then as a reviewer then you can review them. If however you do NOT like those games then you shouldn't review the game that fits in the genre you hate without stating in what perspective you are coming from to everyone within the first paragraph of your review. That way, people won't get the wrong idea when they read your article.

danowat

Banned
This is actually a really good review, worth a read IMO.

Stevivor 8.5/10

The audio in this game is second to none, where each car sounds as unique as it drives – and believe me, they sound amazing. There’s no music in this game for the pure fact that you don’t need it. The bellow of a V8 or the crackling of an F1 car require no accompanying rap or rock soundtrack. Player choice is also at the heart of every aspect of this game, where you can customise each element of your races, how you tackle your career mode, your car setups and pit strategies (just to name a few).

The occasional graphical and racing let-downs aside, Project CARS excels. There is no slow start with a family hatchback and five hours of torture before you experience real speed – instead it’s immediate from your very first race. Everything is varied from the vehicles you’ll race with, the tracks you’ll race on and the weather conditions you’ll race in. Project CARS offers a challenge far beyond what I’ve experienced in the past, with a great sense of motivation to continually improve, hone and perfect your skills, and a feeling of satisfaction when you nail it. It’s not the complete racing experience I envisioned, but it comes a lot further and a lot closer than anything we’ve seen for the last decade. A true treat for all the racing fans out there.

http://stevivor.com/2015/05/review-project-cars/

Dilly

Banned
So only people who has experience in a genre are allowed to rate it? All other opinions are invalid or something? You think there is nobody out there who will see things from the reviewers perspective that also don't have any past experiences with sims or just don't like sims but wanted to check this game out?

The guy says why he didn't enjoy the game because of the simulator feel to it, he's probably more of a Driveclub Forza fan and prefers that which is fine, not sure what's to get upset about.

The point is that it is ridiculous to rate the game lower because it isn't in the preferred genre of the reviewer.

If someone would send me to a rap concert, and I rate it lower than it deserves because it isn't a rock concert, you find no issue with that?

Mascot

Gameseek £35 delivered. I ordered from Argos so will be Friday grrr.

Ooh.. had an order with them but cancelled it to go digi to:
a. get it early (d'oh)
b. get the LE content (woo-hoo!)

Good price and service from Gameseek though. Have to bear them in mind.

artsi

The point is that it is ridiculous to rate the game lower because it isn't in the preferred genre of the reviewer.

If someone would send me to a rap concert, and I rate it lower than it deserves because it isn't a rock concert, you find no issue with that?

Yeah it's a perfect example of apples and oranges.

"Hey here's an apple I'll review today. I ate the apple and yeah it was juicy, but I don't like apples, so it's a 1/10. I'll give it one point because you don't have to peel it. Those who eat apples might like it, but I can't recommend it to orange fans."

Both are fruits and you eat them, just like both simulators and arcade racers have cars in them that you drive around. But they're not the same thing.

Mad1723

Happy to see the game perform as good as it does right now. I've been part of this project since day 1 as one of the members that paid to support it, been following it closely at times and other times just waiting for the next build, but it's made some enormous progress since the earlier builds. I'm thrilled you guys will finally play it :D

Servbot24

Banned

If you're a fan of RPGs, do you automatically think every RPG is just so incredibly awesome? Probably not, and your criticisms will probably hold more weight than someone who says "I don't get this genre, game sucks."

Yeah, that review seems pretty suspect. He doesn't even list any valid criticisms. If he had said "I'm not a fan of this game for reasons x, y, and z, 6/10" it'd be one thing. Instead it's basically "I don't like this sub-genre, 6/10." I say this as someone who isn't interested in Project Cars or racing games at all really and was only reading the reviews out of mild curiosity. I saw the 6/10 and thought to myself "Oh, let's see what he didn't like about it," but there's nothing of substance there... seems like he just doesn't like realistic racing sims.

"Hey here's an apple I'll review today. I ate the apple and yeah it was juicy, but I don't like apples, so it's a 1/10. I'll give it one point because you don't have to peel it. Those who eat apples might like it, but I can't recommend it to orange fans."

Basically this.

Game Informer: 8.5/10

Digitallydownloaded: 4.5/5 stars

Gamesradar: 3.5/5

Videogamer VIDEO review:

PSU: 8/10

Gamereactor UK: 9/10

Gamereactor Germany: 9/10

Gamereactor Norway: 9/10

Gamewatcher: 8/10

Hobbyconsolas (Spanish): 93/100

Daily Telegraph: 4.5/5

Gamesvillage (Italian): 9/10

IGN Spain: 8.6/10

Meristation (Spanish): 8.8/10

Carthrottle

Insidegamer (Netherlands): 8/10

PU (Netherlands): 85/100

Hardcoregamer: 4/5

Shacknews: 6/10

Vandal Online (Spanish): 8.8/10

Softpedia: 8.5/10

Netzwelt (German): 9/10

PC Gamer: 83/100

Attack of the Fanboy: 4.5/5

BILD (German):

GQ:

Xbox Front (German): 87%

Review in progress:
Godisageek

Eurogamer.net

IGN US:

n3rdabl3:

Gamespot:

The Sixth Axis:

PC Games (German):

I didn't know there was so many good gaming sites :eek:

/s of course. I really think more than half is not needed here...

GRaider81

I'd rather have Jeremy clarkson review a new car than my mum.

Both drive and enjoy cars but it doesn't mean both know what they are talking about.

R3TRODYCE

High 8 sounds about right from what I've played of it. The career mode has been the highlight for me aside from the graphics.

danowat

Banned
Chû Totoro;162884977 said:
I didn't know there was so many good gaming sites :eek:

/s of course. I really think more than half is not needed here...

Didn't realise there was a list of GAF approved review sites, personally, I like opinions from all outlets, large, small, mainstream, non mainstream etc etc

If you're a fan of RPGs, do you automatically think every RPG is just so incredibly awesome? Probably not, and your criticisms will probably hold more weight than someone who says "I don't get this genre, game sucks."

Not incredibly awesome but you will like it more than a game in another genre you don't like simply because it's an RPG.

A person who likes racing games but not sim games can actually say they don't like the Sim parts of it, it's why Forza and Driveclub exist in the first place. If someone reads that review and has the same feelings towards sims then guess what? It helped them decide on a game.

Ryne

Not incredibly awesome but you will like it more than a game in another genre you don't like simply because it's an RPG.

A person who likes racing games but not sim games can actually say they don't like the Sim parts of it, it's why Forza and Driveclub exist in the first place. If someone reads that review and has the same feelings towards sims then guess what? It helped them decide on a game.

I would say any decent review would mention what type of game it is. You don't really need someone who doesn't like sims to say that this is a sim game.

I agree with the other folks about the reviewer. Take a reviewer that has knowledge of the field and have them review the game. I would say a good review would take this game and measure it against other sim games (which is what I'm looking for), and not knock it does because it is a sim.

LoveCake

Some high scores already.

My PS4 LE copy was posted this morning by GAME so i should be playing it this week full on.

Malcolm9

And they wouldn't have gotten that from someone who does know the sim racer genre pretty well?

I would prefer to value the opinion of someone who knows a genre well because they know what makes a good game and what doesn't most of the time, whereas someone who doesn't rate/like a genre wouldn't have as much experience/knowledge to give a credible opinion in my view.

EGM1966

REaly good scores IMHO. I'm in I'll pick this up this weekend probably.

A couple of reviews do have the whiff of "this simulator is too much like a simulator" which always irks me but whatever.

Could do without the playground "it's better than... it's not better than" stuff too. It doesn't sound better than DC to me or FH2, it sounds different and that's great; a different experience focusing on different elements and I'd rather get to play multiple titles with different focus on driving than choose better multiple identikit efforts.

Sounds like a real good effort by Slightly Mad and I'm feeling fairly confident post launch support will be strong.

Pifje

"Instead of keeping the gas pushed down for the majority of the race, I needed to ease off of it a lot more as I finessed my car through the twists and turns of each track. I also needed to make sure I didn’t accelerate too far into a turn or else I would find myself sliding off of the track." - Shacknews

Why do they even let people like that to review racing games? Jesus christ.

Can I get a bra for these two tits?
ib2kO2VRtcGoz9.gif

Nah, that's not how reviews work. Sites almost always have people who like the genre review games. They're more accurately able to judge the quality of the work because they have a background with the genre and are able to draw comparisons. It'd be like if a site gave the review of Bloodborne to someone who loves Bayonetta but dislikes Dark Souls. You're not going to get anything useful out of that review, just like nothing useful came out of this one.

Aceofspades

Banned
its just one stupid review out of multiple great ones, unlike poor DC which had ~50 stupid reviews bashing it for not being open world.

Good reviews and wish the game sell well.

Softpedia said:
The only downside relates to the quality of the interior in some cars, as some aren't that great looking, even for racing machines.
[...]

The Bad:
[...]
- Some car interiors don't look that detailed

I don't mind subpar graphics if the handling and physics are awesome, but WHAT is that reviewer talking about?? (he tested the PC version btw)

Today is the last opportunity to buy that preorder edition in the PSN store. I haven't paid 70€ for one game in quite a while, but PCars may just be worthy... Wouldn't do it if my favorite car - the Sauber C9 - wasn't part of the digital edition...

Top Bottom