• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cars review thread

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Nice to see positive reviews, but most of the criticisms don't even matter to me.

Lower performance in rain? I don't even like driving in rain. Never have, in any game. Some of the games with the best weather simulations of their times? Ignored it.

"Low" car count? More like more cars than I could hope to ever get good at. The soulless mass of cars that some other racing games put on display is not appealing to me anyway.
I spent most of my game racing in few disciplines like F1, Rally or Touring Cars.

And any talk about how realistic particular cars feel is moot to me since I've never driven a car that will land in a racing game anyway. It needs to feel fun and behaviour needs to be understandable/replicable. That remains to be seen when I play it.

Same here. I tend to just find a car or two I'm decent with in each mode/type of racing and stick with it. I'm not a car guy in real life at all, so I don't care about how many are represented or how accurate they are to the real thing. I just want racing games to look good, control well with my wheel, have decent AI drivers (i.e. not the Driveclub shit where they constantly run into your rear end and wreck each other as they seem programmed to do little more than hold the racing line regardless of what's in the way) etc.

From reviews, it seems like this will deliver. And I like that there are so many options and difficulty adjustments as that makes it a lot more accessible to someone like me vs. even a more arcadey game like Driveclub that has no difficulty settings in tour mode. It's also awesome that everything is unlocked, so there's no missing out on trying cars/tracks if you don't like a particular mode (and don't want top play it to unlock stuff) or lack the skill to unlock certain things in other racing games.

Looking forward to grabbing this for PS4 next Tuesday.

xrnzaaas

I waited for the reviews just to be 100% sure about the PS4 version and then purchased it. :) It sucks there aren't more cars (hopefully the monthly free cars won't be rubbish), but I love everything else I've read about the game on my favorite sites.

All this talk about graphics and none about physics :(

Physics in a nutshell for me: Much more detailed than the current crop of simcade games (Shift games, Grid games, F1 series), but lacking in finer details compared to the best PC sims (Assetto Corsa, Stock Car Extreme and recent car releases in RaceRoom Racing Experience). Probably a step above GT and Forza as well when comparing console sims. Physics for road cars however provide a disappointing final product IMO so stick to racing cars. Karts are also probably not truly accurate to real life either but they're a blast to drive so that's acceptable in my books.

Still enjoyable, challenging and eventually rewarding overall. Ain't replacing AC as my main sim though despite the issues that sim has itself.

To bad this game does not have split screen or else I would have gotten it. It is disappointing that neither this or drive club had split screen option..

Darin Gangi on his video looked like a little kid on Christmas day. He was very happy with the game. Considering this comes from a sim oriented show, it's very good news.

It's quite similar to Forza 5. Played with an XB1 controller on the PC version it felt very familiar. Both games have excellent tire models and weight shifting and there's a definite commonality ot the way they feel.

So a good handling model plus loads of tracks and lots of motorsport details.

cackhyena

It's quite similar to Forza 5. Played with an XB1 on the PC version it felt very familiar. Both games have excellent tire models and weight shifting and there's a definite commonality ot the way they feel.

So a good handling model plus loads of tracks and lots of motorsport details.
Jeff on Giantbomb said the same thing, basically. Pumped to play it on my PC when I get home.

commedieu

Banned
Because of that, I feel Project Cars won’t receive the mass appeal games like Forza Horizon 2 or DriveClub have received. Instead, only those who are really into realistic driving simulators may flock towards Project Cars,

So, those who are only into realistic driving games, will enjoy the realistic driving game, that PCARS has sold itself as...

reviewers...

smh.

Do you guys feel like certain points of view during racing that the cars makes weird contact with the surface? Like take go kart for instance, doesn't it seem like its gliding on the track tires to surface?

Its weird.

Tubie

So the scores/reviews are looking good. My last sim racer was GT6 and I've been missing this type of game on my PS4, so I'm very happy it's good.

Fake edit: Oh, it's not out today? The review thread fooled me in to thinking it was. I was about to buy and download from the PSN store :(

So the scores/reviews are looking good. My last sim racer was GT6 and I've been missing this type of game on my PS4, so I'm very happy it's good.

Fake edit: Oh, it's not out today? The review thread fooled me in to thinking it was. I was about to buy and download from the PSN store :(

I hear you.

Im a big fan of console sims, but GT6 was ruined by the awful AI (races weren't races... They were glorified overtaking challenges).

The fact that the AI here sounds really good (and aggressive) makes me very excited.

If I can just randomly load up a 30 lap race round a favoured track and actually feel like I'm involved in something then I'm going to be very happy.

naib

Shit. I've spent more on games the past month then the previous 6.

I do like Drive Club but it's not scratching my 60fps sim itch.

I'm a Forza fan but not ready to hop on the xbone wagon, yet. This'll have to do.

Damn it. Picking it up asap.

Edit: I read the digital foundry thing about the FPS dive when it's raining. I assume you can tweak/disable weather effects?

I would jump in right away (or uhh, next week) but Digital Foundry's talk of framerate drops and tearing when the weather effects kick in gives me serious pause.

Sounds like a great game besides. And maybe after the game has been in the wild a bit there'll be some shared wisdom on how to set things up so that tearing never happens. Say, keeping the car count down to 15-20 or less? Maybe?

Wrong thread to ask this question, but here it goes:

If we reduced the count of AI cars in any given race, wouldn't this make the frame rate to be more towards the 60fps side? Also improve on reducing any amount of screen tearing? Basically improving performance? If so, can we reduce the total AI cars in any race? Racing against 12-20 cars would be okay right?

If we reduced the count of AI cars in any given race, wouldn't this make the frame rate to be more towards the 60fps side? Also improve on reducing any amount of screen tearing? Basically improving performance? If so, can we reduce the total AI cars in any race? Racing against 12-20 cars would be okay right?
That's what I'd like to know. High car counts on the track are nice, but aren't a feature I've ever particularly wanted or needed. So if reducing the count of cars can lead to a rock solid 60fps without tearing that'd be a fine workaround for me presuming the career mode doesn't force you into low performance situations.

QaaQer

I like Driveclub a lot, I like what I have tried of Project Cars.

I guess you could compare weather effects and graphics in these games but that is it, they are very different games doing different things.

Even comparing the graphics is pointless because of the 30 vs (unlocked)60 and the number of cars etc.

Comparing it with Assetto Corsa is a much more relevant comparison.

No rewind in either game says to me both games share similar core design philosophies, one that I appreciate. Rewind in racers, or srpgs for that matter, ruin them for me.

Edit: curious as to how Wii u handles acceleration given the digital only triggers, anyone know?

How good is the implementation?
Seems a bit broken at the mo. It lacked cast shadows in VR mode all this time - now they seem to be in but they're not stereoscopic and they're doing weird things in the distance. Exposure is messed up too. Much like AC, it's 'early support' with the lack of menu integration, but at least AC works solidly out on track. This does not.

Biogamer Girl: 8.7/10 (PC)
Project CARS impressed me right from the start, but only when I entered the career and online modes I saw how good this game really is. There’s a ton of content here, and everything just manages to blend in together to create a stellar experience. I loved this game, and even though it does require a pretty powerful computer to enjoy it at full details, I think that it’s well worth the investment! Check it out right now, especially if you are a racing fan, because this is something you do not want to miss!

Top Bottom