• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cars review thread

mrklaw

MrArseFace
shame about the framerates. On PC, is there a geforce experience profile yet, to let me set something that should generally stay around 60fps without me constantly fiddling with the settings? and is there anywhere selling for less than the £40 at GMG or steam?

lol at people acting like Driveclub is even in the same league. Driveclub is a shitty racing game that's exclusively hyped on GAF for some reason. It's absolute trash. Stop acting like it's actually something worth appreciating.

You won't last here long pal.

Oh, wait. You're gone already...

------------------

Anyway, is there an option to lock the framerate to 30 fps? That'd certainly be a helpful optional setting. Lots of people (myself included) are very distracted by variable framerate. I'd rather have locked 30 fps than variable 40-60 fps any time of day.

shame about the framerates. On PC, is there a geforce experience profile yet, to let me set something that should generally stay around 60fps without me constantly fiddling with the settings?

Not yet, though as this is a GameWorks title I'm hoping for these sorts of things in the next Nvidia driver release.

Soi-Fong

shame about the framerates. On PC, is there a geforce experience profile yet, to let me set something that should generally stay around 60fps without me constantly fiddling with the settings?

I'm gonna have to fiddle so much to get a solid 75 fps in my Oculus DK2... Not looking forward to it. Add to that the stress of rain... Goddamn... Hope my 780 Ti and 2600k is still up to task.

Hugstable

Banned
Hmm so I did some reading, and it says that pic earlier was with 30+ AI on the track? So if I want to do a normal race with like maybe 6-8 cars, will the FPS probably run much better? Need to know whether I'm going for PS4 or PC on this, I got a GTX770 4gb and a I5-4770k so I have no clue whether I'm gonna have trouble running it or not. So hyped for this after all those amazing scores, finally a racing game that should be able to meet my racing needs til GT7 comes out.

VVV Mars VG

All the analysis is coming out now, I am working on a video, it might take take till tomorrow to edit.

I can say now, I'd rather the PS4 version to the XBox version for a number of reasons and will cover those.

Regarding technical limitations shown in the DF, no real surprise there, storm at night with 20+ cars on certain circuits or corners can slow it down, same on the PC version depending on how you set up your visual options. But patches are constantly being worked on fixing bugs and improving performance. We only just put our Driveclub review up today and if nothing else that demonstrates the transformation that comes with a few months of post release improvement work.

Generally I don't always race with a field of that size, and these issues are not as prevalent in regular play.

Away from the technical aspects I've been loving the racing.

Hugstable

Banned
All the analysis is coming out now, I am working on a video, it might take take till tomorrow to edit.

I can say now, I'd rather the PS4 version to the XBox version for a number of reasons and will cover those.

Regarding technical limitations shown in the DF, no real surprise there, storm at night with 20+ cars on certain circuits or corners can slow it down, same on the PC version depending on how you set up your visual options. But patches are constantly being worked on fixing bugs and improving performance. We only just put our Driveclub review up today and if nothing else that demonstrates the transformation that comes with a few months of post release improvement work.

Generally I don't always race with a field of that size, and these issues are not as prevalent in regular play.

Yeah I feel that many cars is a bit over doing it for me, I'm fine usually with a 8-10 car field.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

can you comment on the strange 'double image' ghosting that hesido has brought up a few times, and DF mention in their analysis?

Soi-Fong

Hmm so I did some reading, and it says that pic earlier was with 30+ AI on the track? So if I want to do a normal race with like maybe 6-8 cars, will the FPS probably run much better? Need to know whether I'm going for PS4 or PC on this, I got a GTX770 4gb and a I5-4770k so I have no clue whether I'm gonna have trouble running it or not. So hyped for this after all those amazing scores, finally a racing game that should be able to meet my racing needs til GT7 comes out.

With a 770 and laying off a little bit on the more demanding settings, I think you'll be able to run the game better on the PC. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get close to a solid 60 if you give up some settings.

Falchion

Looking pretty positive right now which is exciting. Hopefully we have a new, long term competitor for Forza and Gran Turismo on consoles to push all of them harder.

VVV Mars VG

can you comment on the strange 'double image' ghosting that hesido has brought up a few times, and DF mention in their analysis?

I've always referred to it as blur, its a bit like on the Game Gear when you had fast moving images, or like US TV back in the day. So everything has a motion blur on the PS4.

Not an effect I'm keen on but it doesn't affect me in play, though I can't speak for everyone. I would assume the effect is a technical work around for keeping the frame rate up.

Looking forward to your analysis. It's the videos you produced regarding the PS4 that have pretty much convinced me to buy the game.

It's as long as you want it to be really due to endless seasons, changeable race lengths, etc.

I'm.. not sure I like the sound of that. I like being given specific challenges.

I think I'll look at more reviews/gameplay material before I decide if I should buy this (just watched the carrer mode trailer once again).

I'm.. not sure I like the sound of that. I like being given specific challenges.

I think I'll look at more reviews/gameplay material before I decide if I should buy this (just watched the carrer mode trailer once again).

There are a couple of scenarios it gives you that you can follow (go from karts to Formula 1/World Endurance Championship victory in 10 seasons is one of them off the top of my head I think), but they aren't binding so they're more like achievements than anything else.

JamboGT

I like Driveclub a lot, I like what I have tried of Project Cars.

I guess you could compare weather effects and graphics in these games but that is it, they are very different games doing different things.

Even comparing the graphics is pointless because of the 30 vs (unlocked)60 and the number of cars etc.

Comparing it with Assetto Corsa is a much more relevant comparison.

Soi-Fong

So..er.. how does it compare to Assetto Corsa?

Having played Assetto Corsa for months now, and like I said before being an early backer for PCars, I was able to compare both constantly and I fell in love with the physics more in Assetto Corsa, since it was a bit more challenging and especially the feedback on my G27 wheel in Assetto was much more solid and realistic. Assetto is just much more punishing.

Not sure how the release version of PCars though will stack against Assetto Corsa.

Keep in mind, all these months though I've been playing Assetto Corsa with the Rift DK2 as well.

JamboGT

I was a junior backer on PC but my PC wouldn't really allow me to do much other than hotlap on Project cars.

I haven't tried Project Cars for quite a few months now but I have to say I would side with Assetto Corsa's driving experience. Is a fantastic game and if you have a PC you should get it.

However Project Cars tracks and car selection is great and I look forward to seeing how the handling has progressed.

Been playing with a combination of DFGT's, G27 and then a T500RS.

So..er.. how does it compare to Assetto Corsa?

I'm a huge AC player (over 600 hours played...yeah lol) and to be honest with you I still prefer how AC portrays it's race cars more than pCARS. On the whole they feel more rewarding to drive and feel a little simplified physics wise in pCARS.

The Sauber C9 in AC is a challenge to drive, in pCARS it feels like a supercar with the grip of a GT3 car. And this is coming from someone who thinks AC might be a little too easy to drive at optimum grip settings and absolutely hates iRacing's preference for slippery cars.

In road cars it's no contest, AC wins hands down. Most of them in pCARS just ain't fun to drive.

Also AC has much better force feedback in my opinion, but FFB is a very subjective topic in sims so your experience may vary.

markao

I am so surprised by the positive reviews! I mean, I believed in the project from the start because I was one of the early backers, but I really didn't expect the mainstream media to like it this much.

Awesome
+1 Dilly

nice to see it do well, so there is a (huge) chance of seeing more of games like this in the future.

I've always referred to it as blur, its a bit like on the Game Gear when you had fast moving images, or like US TV back in the day. So everything has a motion blur on the PS4.

Not an effect I'm keen on but it doesn't affect me in play, though I can't speak for everyone. I would assume the effect is a technical work around for keeping the frame rate up.

If they really wanted Blur effect for frame rate up in PS4 then why they did not do same for XB1? I don't think its meant for frame rate up and would assume some kind of bug or some other reason.

Here's my review of Project CARS, a 4 out of 5: http://www.savingcontent.com/2015/05/06/project-cars-review/

The short version: Too few cars, amazing visuals, and challenging driving await you. If you don't mind a lack of a progression system, earning money, upgrading cars, then this game is for you. It is a hardcore simulation to the very core.

Im not that big into sims, but I could be. It seems like a genre I'd enjoy, though I'm not going to buy a wheel for it (unless there's a super cheap option)

Do no upgrades = no tuneups/modifying your car? That looked fun in GT, where I could buy parts for a car.

nib95

Banned
Here's my review of Project CARS, a 4 out of 5: http://www.savingcontent.com/2015/05/06/project-cars-review/

The short version: Too few cars, amazing visuals, and challenging driving await you. If you don't mind a lack of a progression system, earning money, upgrading cars, then this game is for you. It is a hardcore simulation to the very core.

Sounds like the perfect accompaniment to DriveClub. Can't wait! Will be interesting to see how Forza 6 and GT7 compare. Great to finally have a decent Sim console alternative though.

Jibbed

The Forza, GT, and Driveclub comparisons are pointless IMO. This game is suffering from a bit of an identity crisis through no fault of its own, rather by the reviewers that seemed to be expecting something more along those lines.

It's a racing simulator; it's all about the driving experience, and the weekend event format through and through. There's a clear ladder of progression from karting to LMP1/F1.

Taking issues with car count, game mode variety, lack of upgrades or paint jobs or whatever... you're missing the point. This isn't one of those games you can easily sell to people on paper - you need to have a go yourself. Or maybe watch some footage of 40+ GT3 cars racing round the Nurburgring.

Mascot

Goddammit, all the bickering and stress-test analysis has taken the gloss off the launch for me today. I should have stayed away from GAF I guess.

Can't wait to finally get stuck in at midnight and form my own impressions.

Zaru

Nice to see positive reviews, but most of the criticisms don't even matter to me.

Lower performance in rain? I don't even like driving in rain. Never have, in any game. Some of the games with the best weather simulations of their times? Ignored it.

"Low" car count? More like more cars than I could hope to ever get good at. The soulless mass of cars that some other racing games put on display is not appealing to me anyway.
I spent most of my game racing in few disciplines like F1, Rally or Touring Cars.

And any talk about how realistic particular cars feel is moot to me since I've never driven a car that will land in a racing game anyway. It needs to feel fun and behaviour needs to be understandable/replicable. That remains to be seen when I play it.

truth411

So has anyone removed points for it not being open world yet? :p

Seriously though, good to see it getting decent scores. If I don't hear anything at E3 about the next GT being released sooner rather than later I might pick this up. :)

Exactly!!! Pffft it's just another Linear corridor racing game!!! :p

NuMiQ

Neo Member
Not entirely sure if it is frowned upon to post your own review, but I did the writeup for IGN Benelux (dutch). http://nl.ign.com/.../project-cars-review Scored it an 89 out of 100.

Been playing builds for the last 8-9 months, loved seeing the game come together. Short version: not for everyone, but all who enjoy an authentic racing experience owe it to themselves to check this out. I'll be playing this for a lot of months to come.

Klocker

Thanks for setting some reality down on the Day one overreacting ... patches expected to stabilize the misses and yes I have no problem RUNNING 16-18 car races in rain if need be. Still sounds like a fun game with good visuals and acceptable performance with improvements to come.

Top Bottom