• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cars review thread

TheMan

After the godawful lag in NFS shift I had my doubts, but I'm glad that they seem to have nailed it with pcars. Can't wait to get my hands on this game next week!

nikos

That screen tearing is somewhat concerning. Hope it isn't too bad, but screen tearing is especially annoying in racing games.

Jeseus

60FPS game

untitledx1uo4.jpg

untitled1o7uxj.jpg

tearing all over the place, ghosting, bad AF and the performance

this is not deal for me .. will buy after price drop under 20€ or second hand

Mascot

60FPS game

untitledx1uo4.jpg

untitled1o7uxj.jpg

Where have you been? We've all known for ages that rainy night races bork the frame rate.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
This sounds amazing, but I'm gonna have to push this one back as I need to cut back on the amount of games I can play at once!

Soi-Fong

60FPS game

untitledx1uo4.jpg

untitled1o7uxj.jpg

People need to stop with this bullshit. You're running 30+ AI at night while raining. Someone posted in the other thread with a 980 and 20 AI + rain and they were going down to the 40's.

You guys really need to stop with this. Rain and night and shittons of AI will bog down any system.

Soi-Fong

Here's the post from the other thread. The game isn't easy to run. Period.

The game is gonna become the new Crysis of GPU and CPU bechmarks for sure.

I7-5960X + GTX 980 only getting 48 fps at 1080p with 20 opponents in the rain, and the maximum AA settings aren't even used in those tests. Le Mans in the rain with 55 AI at max settings is gonna cause meltdowns lol.

Hopefully the day 1 patch on PC has other optimisations in addition to fixing the grass performance and we also see some better drivers in the near future.

Also I'd love to see someone test max AI at Le Mans in the wet on console and see how they stack up.

It is if you're punching way above your GPU's weight with settings. At a mix of high, very high and max settings with MSAA enabled, I can get 50-60fps in rain in a 45 car race at Le Mans. GTX 780 and i5 3570.

Soi-Fong

It is if you're punching way above your GPU's weight with settings. At a mix of high, very high and max settings with MSAA enabled, I can get 50-60fps in rain in a 45 car race at Le Mans. GTX 780 and i5 3570.

Tell me what settings you use to get a solid 60 with no drops since that's what everyone here seems to be looking for.

I was an early backer for this game on PC so I guess I appreciate more how far they've gone with the optimizations since even a few months ago rain was completely unplayable. And that was for my rig with a 780 Ti.

Edit: I'm excited to see how Oculus support is for this game since I heavily tested it for the last few months and gave feedback to the devs in the developer forums.

nikos

Lock at 30 and i'd be happier.

I have to agree. Framerate fluctuation, ghosting, and screen tearing are especially annoying in racing games. I'd gladly take locked 30 over what I'm seeing. Seems like it has to be dry and day time to get close to 60.

Tell me what settings you use to get a solid 60 with no drops since that's what everyone here seems to be looking for.

I was an early backer for this game on PC so I guess I appreciate more how far they've gone with the optimizations since even a few months ago rain was completely unplayable. And that was for my rig with a 780 Ti.

I'll have to test later tonight, my settings are for 50-60fps as I said above, which I'm comfortable with. I'd have to change them.

I disagree. It's a disservice to people who are fans of sims. It would work the same way for any other media. Don't send someone who hates horror movies to review Friday the 13th. Don't send someone who dislikes rap music to review an album from Eminem. What would be the point in doing that?

Good thing there's literally dozens of other reviews you could read.

I don't at all understand this drive to have all reviews be done the same way, and only by people who already like that kind of game. Variety in review perspectives is a good thing.

People need to stop with this bullshit. You're running 30+ AI at night while raining. Someone posted in the other thread with a 980 and 20 AI + rain and they were going down to the 40's.

You guys really need to stop with this. Rain and night and shittons of AI will bog down any system.
THe 980 was running at much higher settings than the console versions...

Seventy70

lol at people acting like Driveclub is even in the same league. Driveclub is a shitty racing game that's exclusively hyped on GAF for some reason. It's absolute trash. Stop acting like it's actually something worth appreciating.

Soi-Fong

lol at people acting like Driveclub is even in the same league. Driveclub is a shitty racing game that's exclusively hyped on GAF for some reason.

If you've actually played the game, it's a good arcade racer on its own. There's no point comparing it to PCARS when one is arcade and the other is a simulator.

lol at people acting like Driveclub is even in the same league. Driveclub is a shitty racing game that's exclusively hyped on GAF for some reason. The handling sucked in that game.
It's shitty and the handling sucks and its overhyped? That's weird because I've been playing it and enjoying it for over half a year now.

Nyx

lol at people acting like Driveclub is even in the same league. Driveclub is a shitty racing game that's exclusively hyped on GAF for some reason. It's absolute trash. Stop acting like it's actually something worth appreciating.

tumblr_inline_n4foafra0C1sew80h.jpg

Seventy70

It's shitty and the handling sucks and its overhyped? That's weird because I've been playing it and enjoying it for over half a year now.

It's fine if you believe that, but anywhere I've looked outside of GAF the consensus seems to be that it's extremely mediocre. I think this is just a case of people trying really hard to like it and convincing themselves that it's actually good. Though, I could be wrong and maybe people genuinely do like it, but GAF is the only place that stood out with a different opinion on Driveclub. I just have an incredibly hard time understanding how people can enjoy that game.

MaLDo

Screenshot

Bandito

Neo Member
THe 980 was running at much higher settings than the console versions...

With it being a singular very expensive graphics card I would certainly hope so. People need to give up the ghost, consoles are definitely not made for the majority of people in these threads.

It's fine if you believe that, but anywhere I've looked outside of GAF the consensus seems to be that it's extremely mediocre. I think this is just a case of people trying really hard to like it and convincing themselves that it's actually good. Though, I could be wrong and maybe people genuinely do like it, but GAF is the only place that stood out with a different opinion on Driveclub. I just have an incredibly hard time understanding how people can enjoy that game.
Hmm you bring up some really good points. I am starting to doubt myself and my opinions of the game thanks to your insights. Could it be that this whole time, I've been lying to myself? I'm glad there is someone like you, with your finger on the pulse of the outside world, to tell me what I should think about the game. I am re-evaluating everything now.

Hugstable

Banned
They should just ban being able to mention something like Driveclub in topics not dedicated too it, cause all it does is shit up the topic. Who the fuck cares which is better, enjoy whatever style you like more.

Good thing there's literally dozens of other reviews you could read.

I don't at all understand this drive to have all reviews be done the same way, and only by people who already like that kind of game. Variety in review perspectives is a good thing.

that doesn't sound like variety. Sounds like a biased point of view. Reviewers should have an open mind.

Hugstable

Banned
60FPS game

untitledx1uo4.jpg

untitled1o7uxj.jpg

Oh damn, definitely picking up on PC for me then. Jeeez it's that bad? Didn't they get mad about Digital Foundry misrepresenting something last week or so?

I'd still run it at 60fps on PS4, even with an option to lock at 30fps.
I gonna guess that 90%+ of the time I won't be in races that stress the game and lower the framerate. All the VVV PS4 videos I've watched have looked sweet.

I was disappointed when I bought RACE PRO on Xbox360 and realized it was 30fps, after having enjoyed Forza2 at the time running 60fps.

Putty

GTFO with that bullshit!

nib95

Banned

45 cars, with these effects, at this graphical fidelity is going to be hard to run on whatever you're using, unless you literally have some ridiculously expensive OP set up.

Soi-Fong

45 cars, with these effects, at this graphical fidelity is going to be hard to run on whatever you're using, unless you literally have some ridiculously expensive OP set up.

As an early backer I already had the PC version for quite a while so I'm a bit biased, but if anything what pushes the PC version for me above the rest is the Oculus DK2 support. Along with my G27 wheel, nothing beats that immersion.

ElNino

I want a race wheel, but I don't want any of the clutter of a race wheel..
This was me. I had a Fanatec wheel setup and wheel stand so that I could move it to the basement when I (the wife) didn't want it out. In the end, I found it too cumbersome to move it around anytime I wanted to enjoy a quick race or two so I sold the setup.

I may regret it, but hopefully I'll have a better (more permanent) setup some day.

IcyEyes

This can only be sarcasm ... right ?

Anyway, this game looked pretty solid when I tried it and as racing game fan I'm always intrigued by a new release, I will read through some reviews just to understand few things about a couple of things.

Top Bottom