• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Gotham Racing 4 is gold ! (screens inside)

Neo 007

These new screens don't impress me at all.
Next weeks TGS will show more of what a quality driving game/sim is all about.

Tieno

Most detailed environments in a racing game I've seen so far, everything on the screen looks very detailed and good. High consistency. I'm also happy they don't put on a lighting filter like in Dirt, I hated that.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Recoil said:
PGR isn't a sim, you retard.

Yet, has better/more realistic graphics than the proper X360 sim racer.

Ah... if the two could combine, you'd have a really decent challenger against the GT series.

Seriously though... MS should just buy out Bizarre and combine the two teams. Screw diversity. Ultimate awesome is what we want!
Will never come to pass on the X360 as long as MS insists on its shitty policies on accessories.

Recoil

Crayon Shinchan said:
Seriously though... MS should just buy out Bizarre and combine the two teams. Screw diversity. Ultimate awesome is what we want!
Will never come to pass on the X360 as long as MS insists on its shitty policies on accessories.

Though I think Forza is still waaay better than GT, what with its marked advantage in physics, damage, and customization, I totally agree on this, in the most theoretical sense. the PGR team and the Forza team should be sharing car modellers, graphical engine, etc. And only the GUI team and physics engines should differ. Would be a huge boon to both cost savings and quality. Ah, if only the world worked that way.

Crayon Shinchan said:
Ah... if the two could combine, you'd have a really decent challenger against the GT series.
Whatever. Forza's advantage in gameplay over the GT series >>>>>>>>>>> the GT series' advantage in graphics.

FightyF

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
Whatever. Forza's advantage in gameplay over the GT series >>>>>>>>>>> the GT series' advantage in graphics.

Well, to be fair, we don't know that yet. Wait till Prologue...

Thanks again Blim & Snoopers! I usually don't do this torrent thing as it's incredibly slow for me (14Kb/s), but I'll try to keep it up for another 2 hours after it's done downloading. Hopefully that will be enough time to "seed" (heh, I don't even know the terms properly). With my horrible setup and bandwidth, it could be useless...I don't know.

Heh, maybe I shouldn't watch this vid. I don't know how I'll have the time to play this game...

skyfinch

This screen looks incredible

5xhe7f4.jpg

wow, just watched the video. Best looking racing game ever in cockpit and hood-views. Cannot wait. I just hope the bikes and cone challenges arent mandatory to finish the game. I f**king hate cone challenges!!!!! :p

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
WANT so badly... Its a pitty that Elfin didnt make it into the game again. I remember they said that they wanted the MS8 Clubman alongside the streamliner they had in PGR3 :(

image_7.jpg

Neo 007

m0dus said:
You mean, When PGR4 is playable on the show floor? I can't wait either ;)

Oh, btw, you may want to learn to differentiate between a sim racer and an arcade racer before slamming that 'reply' button.

Looks like a sim,plays like an arcade game.

Oh,btw, I'm well aware of the difference between Sims and Arcade games.Thanks for the heads up.

Neo 007

Recoil said:
Though I think Forza is still waaay better than GT, what with its marked advantage in physics, damage, and customization, I totally agree on this, in the most theoretical sense. the PGR team and the Forza team should be sharing car modellers, graphical engine, etc. And only the GUI team and physics engines should differ. Would be a huge boon to both cost savings and quality. Ah, if only the world worked that way.

Yeah and they'ed still be no were near the quality of Granturismo.........you retard.

FightyF

Banned
Wow, that vid is crazy!

My upload ratio has been stuck at 17% for the last 1/2 or so...I don't mean to derail the thread with this sort of stuff...but I'd like to know so I can start using this from now on, rather than relying on the servers. Perhaps if someone could PM me. TIA.

Neo 007 said:
Yeah and they'ed still be no were near the quality of Granturismo.........you retard.

The only quality standards you should be worried about, are your post's. :p

Endymion

That' a great video Blim posted. Brilliant graphics, and first person view gives a terrific sense of speed. This will be so mine.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Green Shinobi said:

Back from your ban? Surprised it wasn't permanent given or even after that pathetic whine you had on Team Xbox.

The only reason you'd think Forza's gameplay is >>>>>>> over GT is because you have no intention of ever owning a PS3.

acm2000

Crayon Shinchan said:
Back from your ban? Surprised it wasn't permanent given or even after that pathetic whine you had on Team Xbox.

The only reason you'd think Forza's gameplay is >>>>>>> over GT is because you have no intention of ever owning a PS3.

its pretty common knowledge forza 2s physics/gameplay> gt physics/gameplay, GT's strong point has always been its graphics, they dont spend days/weeks/months modelling the cars for nothing, the car models are insanely good

p3tran

Banned
Crayon Shinchan said:
...............The only reason you'd think Forza's gameplay is >>>>>>> over GT is because you have no intention of ever owning a PS3.

hey crayon, sorry to break this to you, but

FORZA GAMEPLAY >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GT GAMEPLAY

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
f@luS said:
I know its not allowed but i really wish there were some sanctions or anything for the 1st post on any thread about fanboy/fan/anything like that. This is SO annoying , cant u keep this clean?

Cant you ? You were the second to post crap about GT at least showing gameplay shots when you know the vast majority of screens they released were bullshots.

This game just looks simply awesome, it also has a sense of style ala GT which forza lacks.

We get to race a 2000GT, how cool is that !

pswii60

Crayon Shinchan said:

Was your first line a low way of justifying your second?

pilonv1 said:

very awesome. This must be the first game to include a Delorean

And I bet it is used for that secret achievement. the one with the "88mph" in the achievement pic

Am I right in thinking that it was a Delorean that was used in Back to the Future?

snoopers

I am multitalented
Pope Benedict XVI said:
Am I right in thinking that it was a Delorean that was used in Back to the Future?

Yes and no. The Delorean DMC-12 is a real car, I don't think it's back to the future related in PGR4.

Why do sony fans feel the need to find there way onto every microsoft thread, im happy for people to post good constructive posts but all these gt>>>>>>>>>>>>>pgr4 post are just boring and belong on gamefaqs. Totally different games, i dont expect pgr style fun while i play gt and i dont expect gt depth while i play pgr4 is that so hard for people to get there heads around.

snoopers said:
Yes and no. The Delorean DMC-12 is a real car, I don't think it's back to the future related in PGR4.

PGR4 might be a bit too easy if that were the case

*5.....4.......3.......You Win, 1st place*

I am looking forward to finding out what the 3CZV657 achievement entails. I'm thinking Big Ben, Thunderstorm, DeLorean, 88mph.

snoopers said:

Well they wouldn't have to refer directly to the movie. They could have an achievement where you have to drive it at 88mph, and maybe even throw in a cool visual effect.

I mean that achievement is definitely refering to Back to the Future. It says "88mph" and has a picture of a lightening strike.

And the DMC-12 is the car that was used in those movies.

So awesome!

p3tran

Banned
Ryudo said:
Cant you ? You were the second to post crap about GT at least showing gameplay shots when you know the vast majority of screens they released were bullshots.

This game just looks simply awesome, it also has a sense of style ala GT which forza lacks.

We get to race a 2000GT, how cool is that
!

I would say, very cool

cfc78f1e-34a5-40d1-ae1b-a54.jpg

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
pswii60 said:
Was your first line a low way of justifying your second?

It's just hyperbolic retardation I'm arguing against.

Sure, I'll take Forza gameplay > GT as a matter of preference. Hell, even as a matter of fact; Forza game modes are a bit better than the GT ones... although not significantly; they both boil down to repetitition again and again.

When it comes to driving accuracy, the latest iteration is definetly a fair bit more accurate than GT4 was... but the fairer comparison would be F2 vs GT5P (sim mode; there are 2 driving modes you have to account for). The latter which no one outside of Polyphony Digital has had experience with yet. Even so, their standard driving model isn't exactly PGR like, and is still accurate to pro drivers on real world tracks to within a second or two.

If its collisions that you find that make Forza 2 a much better experience... I'd have to say that's neither here nor there. If you're racing seriously; the collision system in Forza 2 simply isn't accurate enough. Moreover, it can be inaccurate with lag; I've experienced multiple weird collision detection bugs repeatedly; passing through opponents, getting clipped and spun around while the other player doesn't notice a thing, and other variations of those problems.
Also, because the damage system isn't accurate... where you can still drive on after been tagged... it opens up possibilities where opponents nudge you the hell off the track, while suffering very little consequences. Not even nudge (because those types of collisions do occur in a real race), but full on shoves... where both cars would be out of the race, very often in Forza, the other one will carry on fine.
It's ok if you want some racing tension... but it's still not the sim kind of collision system with realistic penalties for the colliding parties.

Fair enough, we won't know how the GT5 Multiplayer collision pans out yet; but between an inconsistent collision system that isn't always fair, and a bumper cars collision system... it really comes down to a matter of preference; you can't say either really represents reality accurately, even if one represents its more accurately, its simply still not good enough; but the resulting gameplay differences is a wash; down to preference.

That said... we've still yet to see how all the features of GT5 Prologue (much less GT5 Proper) will pan out; how the gameplay will be enhanced, and the breadth of gaming options. We still haven't seen the simulation driving engine; although it will no doubt be of an extremely high class; matching if not exceeding Forza 2's engine... if PD's reputation is anything to go by.

Holy shit I can't believe the jump from PGR3 to PGR4. It's amazering. Shame it probably won't have Forza 2's noobmode and thus is unplayable for me.

pswii60

Son of Godzilla said:
Holy shit I can't believe the jump from PGR3 to PGR4. It's amazering. Shame it probably won't have Forza 2's noobmode and thus is unplayable for me.

PGR has an easy medal to play for each race. That's the great thing about PGR - as you get better you can try each race/challenge at a harder level and get more kudos/higher medals/trophies to boot.

Blimblim said:

Ooooh nice one Blim. Now I got a nice version of 'Shadow' to listen to at my laptop.:D
Also allows us to look at this "impossible motion blur" method, though before watching the video I'd like to point out that I think that the mixture of cam footage/shaky hand man was the more likely source of fancy motion blur methods.

edit: Having watched the video, (now seeding) I've come to the conclusion that the only funky motion blur in it is the weird-ass matrix effects at the beginning. But then I knew that those wouldn't be part of the game engine anyway, it was more likely some funky blurry effects for added dramatic flare. If certain people were picking on that as 'the impossible', then its nit-picking to the extreme.
Apart from that, rocking soundtrack, rocking video. Cheers Blim, I look forward to more PGR4 footage through the day.

I.
Said.
Wow.

The 'omg/gif' moments from the other version Blim had look ALOT BETTER now.
Plus you can appreciate the geometry on the car models alot more..

Bizarre did a fantastic job..not much else to say.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
BenjaminBirdie said:
So how would you say the bike feels, Sir Blimsford?
It's a bit confusing at first because you have to be way more careful with the stick, but after 5-10 minutes I quite liked it.

Top Bottom