• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scissors: NightCry (Clock Tower Spiritual Successor) PC Kickstarter ($300k)

Bl@de

Damn Nr.3 is amazing. Masahiro Ito showing that he still got it. Giving me SH2/3 vibes. Hope it still releases in 2015 :)

ArjanN

Update: this one won the poll:

SokAsoU.png

Couple other in-game screenshots as well.

ngud519.png

zzcaS5a.png

Bowl0l

Where can i see the poll result? The backer forum is too silent....

They need to pick a better image.
The 1st screen shot is too hard to make out what i am looking at.

Piers

I'd say no.1 is better from a marketing standpoint. Scissors show everyone what the danger is that they'll be engaging with.

With the game nearing completion, it's time for NudeMaker to open up the sound stage and get the voice talents down. To help best capture the atmosphere and personalities of NightCry, we've been taking time and consideration to audition and match talents (both old and new) to the Japanese and English voices. After all, we wouldn't want the ScissorWalker to inexplicably sound like a tiny girl...would we?
Recently, we've wrapped up the Japanese voice recordings, and the actors are absolutely brilliant. We can't quite reveal the full cast yet, but we can offer you some insight into what's been happening!

FVksQFHFBUQOtXOPGW4Waluo3gcjOwRdirJncqx8OxUOK4GVi8seKwwPxVPbNSrHrc6bxyXe6J57aW1Gl-6DegcasBHFshdJrjLT-7XXDgAmX1AjK6jyAGde0R5oq0ErZUvmpRJGtKRVYwBlXqMcOp9xvVDmgWyLmZ1ojzg3EW5BY2mL4zdnwgTgJLVQPHTQIyFbIyMHMd8JDVi7x1yeVmqySB2JJ7MOWYhiE3e0FCqHYcxI3fKIb6t9dGDVAn7V=s0-d-e1-ft

Here we see the overseers of the entire process. As we have a Japanese recording engineer to capture the voice samples, every single line is approved by two very important members. The first is Shibata Katsutoshi, the voice/ADR director. Shibata-San's role is to help coach and ensure that the voice actors deliver the performance that best fits Kono-San's vision. The second, of course, is Kono-San himself. Not only do we want the approval of someone who's intimately familiar with Japanese voice acting, but, of course, we want the head creative and designer to hear and envision the lines as he'd want the characters to say them.

rclPrivD8GnBd6WCwrmwYB6VrABiRDtXR6YNET-CKe7N2eSOs2sBbSiefFd5dOG0hxdBwrD0-CgxAk2aMuF8GV7bNEBFvjAdT2ziDiy_WqoAos8QWl3Awdm6Ywe2SsR9dYlgRPHsCC5Jd-f1FhAXD5WRDOMIo0PHEPC5rZkm2PmXC-ht5xX7Zf4LTcV9gFKh3JvLWRXgKV_muizXd5UKijoWQv8hSnUgV2T32HusvLhhIyD18zJIUHVn5Y5x5M1j=s0-d-e1-ft

And here we have some of the stars of the Japanese cast! These women and men will make up several of the voices you hear throughout NightCry, though exactly *who* they will be, we can't reveal just yet. And this is not the entire cast by any means: there is more news coming soon, and it may completely blow your socks off!
The NightCry creators are back in the voice lab this week to get the English voices recorded, and we're hoping to reveal the full cast list soon thereafter! We have a lot more news which may surprise you...and some BIG news for the end of this year...!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bowl0l

i hope the game plays well. i don't mind waiting for 6 more months if they can iron out the bugs,
i don't want a disc with bugs in it,,,

Corpekata

Banned
When is this out? Is a vita version confirmed?
Vita is getting the mobile version and wasn't part of the KS.

This KS is for what they call the "big screen" version. The latest update had news about voice actors and a delay into 2016.

fvng

Vita is getting the mobile version and wasn't part of the KS.

This KS is for what they call the "big screen" version. The latest update had news about voice actors and a delay into 2016.

Exciting. Will there be physical releases?

Corpekata

Banned
Exciting. Will there be physical releases?

On Vita? Given it's a port of mobile version and that Playism is the publisher, it seems unlikely. There's a PC physical that appears to be limited to the KS, that's about it.

But generally all the news we get is about this version, so who knows, maybe?

fvng

On Vita? Given it's a port of mobile version and that Playism is the publisher, it seems unlikely. There's a PC physical that appears to be limited to the KS, that's about it.

But generally all the news we get is about this version, so who knows, maybe?

For physical I meant any platform but it seems i missed that boat oh well

Bowl0l

For backers of NightCry though Kickstarter, you will ONLY have access to the English voices. There will be the choice of Japanese or English subtitles, so you'll be able to read the game in whichever language you prefer.

Update 33

Not sure on the purpose of including Japanese subtitles...

For backers of NightCry though Kickstarter, you will ONLY have access to the English voices. There will be the choice of Japanese or English subtitles, so you'll be able to read the game in whichever language you prefer.

Update 33

Not sure on the purpose of including Japanese subtitles...

Sounds like a release date announcement is coming.

Update #34: Let's Try This Again

First of all, thank you all for your feedback and comments in the previous update. We'd like to address things directly and give answers for all the questions that you had regarding our news.

We're truly sorry if anyone thought that NightCry was being touted in a different light, and we do not, in any way, want fans to feel that they are receiving something subpar or we are pinching pennies or cutting corners. The blood and sweat of Nude Maker is going into this game and, whichever the language, we are working overtime to make sure it is the ideal, envisioned experience.

When NightCry originally was shaped, Kono-san intended to make it voiced by English cast ONLY. Similar to the Resident Evil/Biohazard games, he felt that the English script did the most justice to the story that was being conveyed, and wanted to keep it "pure" in that sense. In fact, there was a period of time where we weren't sure if NightCry would be voiced at all: you can see that, in our original Kickstarter page, we were very careful about how we worded things so that there would NOT be a misunderstanding regarding the voices.

However, after the success of the Kickstarter, the Japanese community spoke up and expressed a huge interest in having a Japanese voice cast to fuel the game. Kono-San, wanting to try and make the best game for everyone, took to Campfire with the express intention of using the money gained there to pay for the Japanese dub of NightCry. The success meant that the Japanese audience would be able to have the game they wanted, while the Western audience would have the game that Kono-san most envisioned.

For those who don't know, there are costly legal hoops to jump through in order to license Japanese voice actors outside of Japan. In the case of NightCry and our Kickstarter campaign, we made funding, but, as you can see, only just. The same goes for the Campfire: the funding went entirely into costs for the voice actors, their agencies and the licensing fees in full. The end result is that we have everything paid for within certain restrictions. It was not intentional to make anyone feel left out; it's simply the way that the current contracts have shaped the game.

To end on a positive note, we really want to work together with all the backers of NightCry to make this the game that we all want to enjoy. So, after some conferring with Kono-San, in response to everyone's opinion, we are now hard at work to find a way to bring both the English and Japanese voice packages to the game on an international level. We can't guarantee anything, but, first and foremost, we want to try in order to make everyone happy.

Thank you for understanding.

Bl@de

I think a good compromise there is making the JP voices paid DLC to offset costs a bit if they can't fully afford it.

Yeah that would be the best option. But I don't care about japanese audio if it wasn't even first language during production of the game.
It was the same with Witcher 2 and 3. The difference between english and polish was a lot smaller (than in W1) because those had scripts in english.

Bowl0l

Please don't derail the thread with your anti port-begging.
i am not against porting PC games to console. If you look around for info, Nightcry is supposed to be released for Vita. If it comes out for the console, the Vita version will be out first. PS4 might be easier once PC version is out. You can treat the PC version as beta testing for the PS4 version.
You have 3 version to choose:
PS Vita, PC and maybe PS4 if PC sales are good.

Mivey

i am not against porting PC games to console. If you look around for info, Nightcry is supposed to be released for Vita. If it comes out for the console, the Vita version will be out first. PS4 might be easier once PC version is out. You can treat the PC version as beta testing for the PS4 version.
You have 3 version to choose:
PS Vita, PC and maybe PS4 if PC sales are good.

I was joking, since similar expressions from PC players are usually heavily criticized. That you did not get that (and felt defensive), kind of makes my point.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I think a good compromise there is making the JP voices paid DLC to offset costs a bit if they can't fully afford it.

This makes a lot of sense to me. Though I guess the fear is that they'll eat the licensing costs anyway and alienate folks because no one is willing to buy the DLC.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The game will be featured at the "Digital Game Expo SPECIAL in Tokaigi2016" event, which fans are encouraged to attend if possible. Unfortunately for backers outside of Japan, unless you can make it to Chiba by the 30th-31st, you'll have to do without for now:

Hello fellow Night stalkers! We have a very special announcement for everyone who is waiting for NightCry.

We will present NightCry at the Digital Game Expo SPECIAL in Tokaigi2016, which will be held in Makuhari Messe on Jan 30th and 31st.

Check out more information here (Only in Japanese, sorry!):
http://digigame-expo.org/sp2016

This is the first time we will exhibit our playable version, so we'd be grateful if everyone can show up and let us know how you feel about it!

Our director, Kono-san, has a message for this exhibition.

--------------------------

Hello, I'm Kono Hifumi, director for the game NightCry.
Since we are developing the game as indie, we decided to participate in this event.

It's true that this is the first time demo exhibiting for this game, but, of course, we are still hyper busy implementing the game to the end; the contents are also being updated every day, so we cannot have the biggest satisfaction just yet.

However, I'm confident that everyone can sense the feeling or the spirit of "Clock Tower" from the game, so please take a look and play.

--------------------------

Thank you Kono-San! So if you're in the Kanto region during the last week of January, be sure to stop by Makuhari Messe and check out the game! Good fright, everyone!

Looking gorgeous! Couldn't view your quoted images but there's a plethora at the link. Man, I am so hyped for an original Japanese survival horror from one of the greats. Lovely art direction.

Playable alpha!

To all our backers: thank you for waiting.
We are releasing a player build of NightCry, a little more polished than the version revealed at the Digige event in Japan on the 30th and 31st of January.
&#945; Demo Download: 5.7 GB (<--Link-->)
(Available until the end of February)
This build contains English voices and English/Japanese subtitle options.
As this is an alpha version, please be aware that unexpected bugs may occur.
Currently, the development team are making final adjustments to the game.
Although time is restricted, we would be happy to receive your feedback, such as &#8220;I found this bug!&#8221; &#8220;I&#8217;d prefer it to be like this&#8230;&#8221; &#8220;It doesn&#8217;t run on my PC!&#8221; (please notify us of your PC specs in this case) &#8220;It was fun&#8221; &#8220;It was scary!&#8221;
Please leave us your comments within the backer forum thread here.
If you're unsure how to join the forums, contact us through support@night-cry.com or at http://night-cry.com/community/memberlist.php?mode=contactadmin
We do not have restrictions in place for sharing footage or screenshots of this build, provided that you would make it clear it is an alpha build.
However, please do not share this build publicly under any circumstances.
This build is for NightCry backers only.
It is only part of the full game, but we hope you enjoy playing!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Check your inboxes, everyone. The alpha build is here!

To all our backers: thank you for waiting.
We are releasing a player build of NightCry, a little more polished than the version revealed at the Digige event in Japan on the 30th and 31st of January.

This build contains English voices and English/Japanese subtitle options.

As this is an alpha version, please be aware that unexpected bugs may occur.

Currently, the development team are making final adjustments to the game.

Although time is restricted, we would be happy to receive your feedback, such as &#8220;I found this bug!&#8221; &#8220;I&#8217;d prefer it to be like this&#8230;&#8221; &#8220;It doesn&#8217;t run on my PC!&#8221; (please notify us of your PC specs in this case) &#8220;It was fun&#8221; &#8220;It was scary!&#8221;

Please leave us your comments within the backer forum thread here.

We do not have restrictions in place for sharing footage or screenshots of this build, provided that you would make it clear it is an alpha build.

However, please do not share this build publicly under any circumstances.
This build is for NightCry backers only.
It is only part of the full game, but we hope you enjoy playing!

EDIT: Beaten! This is what I get for trying to add line breaks~

Corpekata

Banned
Alpha seems to have issue for me where framerate is tied to like a fraction of the refresh rate. So at 60hz it runs at 20ish FPS, 120hz it runs at like 26-27, 144hz at like 28-29.

Will report it to them tomorrow but if you see weird performance it might be that. It doesn't seem to be using much of the GPU or CPU.

epmode

Alpha seems to have issue for me where framerate is tied to like a fraction of the refresh rate. So at 60hz it runs at 20ish FPS, 120hz it runs at like 26-27, 144hz at like 28-29.

Will report it to them tomorrow but if you see weird performance it might be that. It doesn't seem to be using much of the GPU or CPU.

This has been a thing for me in a few recent Unity games. The Witness and Firewatch for sure, can't remember any others specifically. Both games run in borderless windowed and I have a 144hz G-Sync monitor.

I fixed both games by switching from 144hz to 60, launching the game, quitting, then switching back to 144hz and relaunching. I leave G-Sync on.

edit: Oh wait, you actually tried switching to 60. Well, I'm downloading the demo now so I'll let you know how it goes.

edit2: 28 FPS at 144hz, 20 FPS at 60hz. Something's definitely wrong.

Bl@de

I have 30fps @ 60hz. I really hope they don't lock the frame rate in the fnal release. Played 30min so far. It's definetly an alpha, but I like the style and atmosphere. Strong Clock Tower/Silent Hill vibes (no wonder with that team^^). Music is great. Will play around tomorrow and give the team some feedback.

I livestreamed some of the Alpha Build here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQe1NoipGh0

Sorry, it goes a little slow in part because I had to use a touchpad.

Also, why the fuck is DmC Dante in this game?

At least he gets eaten by a vending machine.

Holy shit at that awkward running animation. And that hair of hers seem to live its own life too.. God damn..

I'm sure they will polish this game up quite a bit until release but..

Holy shit at that awkward running animation. And that hair of hers seem to live its own life too.. God damn..

I'm sure they will polish this game up quite a bit until release but..

It wouldn't be a Clock Tower spiritual successor without akward running animations. lol

Looks good enough for me, need polish obviously but it's an alpha build.

Day 1 for me.

Top Bottom