• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scissors: NightCry (Clock Tower Spiritual Successor) PC Kickstarter ($300k)

mjontrix

This has to be one of the greatest kickstarter comeback stories, at least in the gaming field.
What a turn around!
I'm absolutely stoked for the team and eternally thankful for the (comparatively) small crowd of dedicated and generous backers.

Biggest comeback ever I'd say!

dhlt25

just put in my pledge, a little bit skeptical still, that's why I've waited so long to back it but I would like to see more japanese horror game on PC.

lumi7890

never played a clock tower game, but this game sure does look interesting and I am definitely going to be checking it out.

CO_Andy

Lots of Japanese fan art posted on the official site yesterday.

27.jpg

Ganondorfo

Wow, just learned about this game, tell me more about this, what is this game?

Is it a single player game? Will it have a physical copy? Is it from the Haunting Ground people? That villain art looks awesome, reminds me of the Team Silent creature design.

ArjanN

Wow, just learned about this game, tell me more about this, what is this game?

Is it a single player game? Will it have a physical copy? Is it from the Haunting Ground people? That villain art looks awesome, reminds me of the Team Silent creature design.

Is it a single player game?
Yes.

Will it have a physical copy?
Yes, but that's at a higher reward tier than a digital copy.

Is it from the Haunting Ground people?
It's by the Clock Tower people, Haunting Ground was essentially a spiritual successor to the Clock Tower games and Night Cry is as well.

That villain art looks awesome, reminds me of the Team Silent creature design.
They have Masahiro Ito who designed Pyramid Head and the Bubble Head nurses from Silent Hill on the team.

Pachinko

I'm doing my part to bring more attention to this in it's waning hours - let's try and keep this on the main page for the remainder of the kickstarter but no one bump more than once.

450,000 $ to get a PS4 port people, can we give it a 50% boost with less than 15 hours to go ?

ArjanN

I'm doing my part to bring more attention to this in it's waning hours - let's try and keep this on the main page for the remainder of the kickstarter but no one bump more than once.

450,000 $ to get a PS4 port people, can we give it a 50% boost with less than 15 hours to go ?

I kinda doubt they'll hit 450,000$ but any extra money will help anyway.

SpikeDaPenguin

Neo Member
I'm so happy to see this succeed! I'll have to admit I didn't think this was going to make it but I guess it did. Time to eat crow *chomp chomp*.

Now we just need to push for those stretch goals. I won't hold my breath but I'm excited to see how far we can go!

~Kinggi~

Banned
So, what is the money for? If the game will already be completed for other devices this doesnt seem to be funds for game content, just a port job?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
So, what is the money for? If the game will already be completed for other devices this doesnt seem to be funds for game content, just a port job?

From the kickstarter FAQ:

While we describe this in the main page, the funds received from the minimum goal will be used to enhance the game’s graphics and increase the content volume. Beyond that, our stretch goals are about adding even more content, and possibly more platforms, to NightCry. The core game will have a strong level of content and replayability, but we want to do more and the team needs your support in order to continue working on game content! Beyond that, we need to pay Kickstarter their share & pay for physical rewards fulfillment as well. But we are doing our best to see that Kono’s team sees as much funding as possible so that they can deliver the gaming experience you want and deserve!

~Kinggi~

Banned
Oh, so then the idea is this will be fairly different in the core game from the other versions. At least thats how it reads.

Oh, so then the idea is this will be fairly different in the core game from the other versions. At least thats how it reads.

The core game seems like will be remain mostly the same but PC will have upgraded graphics:

Among these changes, we'd like to include the following:

Detailed and natural hair animation
Improved shaders
Improved lighting and effects
Full facial animation & lip synching for the game’s characters

The funding is not just to port the PC bu also add a graphical boost to that version.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Shame we couldn't get the More-ways-to-Die goal, Mihoshi, but yay! Feels good to have the campaign pass at last. This was my first ever Kickstarter I've backed. Crazy to think it was looking bad up until a few days ago.

Me3SvYt.jpg

ArjanN

Shame we couldn't get the More-ways-to-Die goal, Mihoshi, but yay! Feels good to have the campaign pass at last. This was my first ever Kickstarter I've backed. Crazy to think it was looking bad up until a few days ago.

Me3SvYt.jpg

They've said in the comments they're opening Paypal probably later in the week. Might be a way to get another stretch goal.

They also still have their separate Japanese campaign on Campfire which is still going for another 6 days.

http://camp-fire.jp/projects/view/1443

Spoo

So, we're well into May -- sorry to peeps expecting new news -- and the backer forums for this are literally devoid of content, the forum itself is pretty bland (next to no activity).

I get that they don't have to provide any updates, but as a backer the experience hasn't been a super great one. Am I the only one feeling this way? (One of the first things I backed, so I'm not sure what to expect out of them anyway).

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
So, we're well into May -- sorry to peeps expecting new news -- and the backer forums for this are literally devoid of content, the forum itself is pretty bland (next to no activity).

I get that they don't have to provide any updates, but as a backer the experience hasn't been a super great one. Am I the only one feeling this way? (One of the first things I backed, so I'm not sure what to expect out of them anyway).

Yeah, I'd had the game slip to the back of my mind until they sent an email apologizing for the lack of updates and explaining that they would be getting back to work right away after Japan's national holiday Golden Week wrapped up. They did make a forum post semi-recently apologizing as well, saying they had stuff to show hopefully soon.

I got no e-mails. D:

That's no good! It was tucked into update number 23 back in March. Basically, sign up on the forums and then email support@night-cry.com with your forum name and the email you used to pledge on Kickstarter. Took about half a day for them to get back to me and approve access.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the heads up. I'll go sign up at the forums and sent them an email.

Bowl0l

Keep expectations low to avoid disappointment.

We need special credentials to see backer only updates on the forum, right? I sent an email to their support and never got a reply, and I can't find any sign of the update that's supposed to be there today while logged in. Should I just email them again?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
It took them forever but I finally got access to the backer's forum. I don't think I can post screenshots from there but I encourage you guys to go check them, Unity 5 is definitely helping them get it to look much better than how it appeared on the kickstarter footage!

New update!

To Our Supporters,
Thanks for waiting!
We've released some small progress reports on the Backer Forum, but we've been remiss in providing an in-depth update for you. We know that many of you are wondering "How's development going?", and so we've prepared a big update for you all!
First, we'd like to share with you the model for last of the major characters to be revealed, Jerome:

p_n6HL6fm8d8fEbLTNlsLeoS9q_MWC6CKKD4WgT-q3MWGbUZGjBrt5SE9ffFd6ngETxjRfq2EWI2gMlVTSDTrdAKIyi2u1rDK4wC4a83pBzoPQRIPayTJFoWQ3ZsZYU89t6XQvnD21o4e4Zt5PvYxz9C3bw8oiKQiTS9Pz2QodSV1F4yRNlxt9L8IrqsujtNP-Avi93gV8KjRbz-Dflu0Zaqf_asBEEk0B4ZY8TmxgrR0WB-Hr5UmzOYpBTeiEjA=s0-d-e1-ft

In addition, we've released information about Monica's and Leonard's sections of the game, but we are now ready to reveal information about the 3rd and final section of the game, Rooney's!

kcnjmiqFby7r9I7fg_kqqaApIqBbjeLeMxIMXVFUydNFbAXpkQXdmAO3LhBDJJLXlEDZpF1YduR4PixUxOy8dGV9Ox7Nitq7QRlJuEFWXxxB5--QkoavG8yjzrFRKK8YyjIQQNI2nEVKAG-rIYEYjgr80ow2vWTe38zthNYMPRaUXecXf0zHQJj1xC7IciI6tQhymBnTpZy7zcJgdKVza3bPnJj6UsVWQhpriJwz0QTdE5-ZLGQAsPeFiT7-2EtT=s0-d-e1-ft

This is a ship, right? That can't possibly be good!

3IAMnr-ev7QeRxPtjlqiIR-0Co98EsiPOVaraay9CRLTC-znP2Y5EAttxmAnBr7_NqR36OII4J-CML3veLhH40iHZ9TsRIryDpx2qtSkcBRJ6YubeFDRq1RN7dcMOdh5bmwTgRXkwWXwUzdUGb6Vele6GG6T50kpKql2iytarS2M8CZ9IItsQbIOpJucLe8dW1e1gw3JD66BlQgsoZCIf6lP45xm72RuBM-_M07y89qoPwGXTozQKF5cE3dpU5B9=s0-d-e1-ft

It's a children's playroom on the ship, but there's no children to be found. Where have they gone?
And to give you an idea of scale, here's a shot of our main characters in a lineup:

wcFWQ65w3tzQmxFDuAfm7vUddWTPG30X8UQ1IXIzDY9yUyH17rmn7z4fLkhdOU2PZVr3mtuSU_gKAD-yrddB49i5xezP5Q1za8uSvBq1qzey0XeiC6WkY5uYG2X4Kja8Cn7pmLLTGs77ibI24-Z7-u7cO54xmyte_0DOOotgBMcoo7aiAeYbDs3p6_1CsnlzKkjRc1uw7j6mEunJKmT49eN7DPJeZHc_c1r8nU77bkO87lKLcs5MaFAPyW8M_qOq=s0-d-e1-ft

Please note that the above images are a work in progress (for example, final lighting settings and post processing is not implemented) and do not represent final quality, but we hope you'll agree that NightCry is progressing nicely!
In this vein, the various parts that make up a game are really coming together. We're not able to provide a release date at this time, but the major tasks remaining are primarily finishing up content for Rooney's section and then focusing on adding in detail, adjusting play balance, and polishing the "chrome" (shaders, optimizations, touch-ups, etc.). The first information about the voice recording for the game should be available in the very near future as well!
Lastly, work on the physical Rewards for our Backers is gearing up, and we will be releasing more information about that in the coming days as well.
Nude Maker is working hard to finish NightCry on time & to a high quality. We're very excited to be showing you, our supporters, just how much effort has gone into NightCry, and there's more on the way!

Greetings to all Backers!
We're moving along steadily with the game development, and will be showcasing some new screenshots and even some fresh animations in the near future (both in Kickstarter and on our Twitter feed). Additionally, we're moving along swimmingly with the physical rewards as we aim our sights towards the future.
In fact, we've suddenly been caught in quite the situation, and we need the Backers' voices to help decide something. The first proofs for the DVD case of the physical edition of the game have arrived (which you last heard about back in February), and we've got a variety to choose from. It's impossible for us to decide in the office, so we'd like to hear the fans' vote! Here are your choices:
SokAsoU.png

yCCJFqC.png

NSbC512.png

It's hard, right? They all have an amazingly creepy appeal of their own! So let's get into the vote! Leave a comment below and we'll announce the winner in the next two weeks. This is cross posted to the Backers' Forum as well, so everyone will have a say!
May the best Scissor Walker win!

Top Bottom