• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Zero/Fatal Frame 5 Review Thread

marmoka

Banned
I don't care about the reviews, I will give it a try. Sonic Lost World is a game I loved when I played it, the reviews where bad, and I would have missed a great game if I took care of them.

Is it possible to play with the Pro-Controller? Thanks in advance.

I don't care about the reviews, I will give it a try. Sonic Lost World is a game I loved when I played it, the reviews where bad, and I would have missed a great game if I took care of them.

No only the game pad.

Effect

So we according to http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/fatal-frame-maiden-of-black-water/critic-reviews we have 11 positive at the moment and 14 reviews that are mixed. One outright negative. This doesn't included reviews that don't give scores that are positive like GameXplain or a few other scores that have come out. Of the 14 only 6 are below what would be a 70 or 7. So there are 19 positive scores above a 70 out of 26. Significant more positives then negatives out there.

Again as said though you can play the very beginning of the game for free. So anyone slightly interested should take that opportunity and decide for themselves regardless of the reviews.

-shadow-

No, the gamepad is used as the actual Camera Obscura.

One review mentioned that her mission is still in. Nobody else said anything about it.

If so great news, this was the part of the game I was mostly scared for that was cut due to the lack of a single mention of it still being in.

ClearData

These mixed reviews do not inspire confidence. This isn't a sure fire purchase on day one for me anymore. I'll give the demo a spin and if I like what I see I will purchase it once it is on sale. There's a lot of other stuff coming out at the end of the year that I want so this has moved down the queue.

So we according to http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/fatal-frame-maiden-of-black-water/critic-reviews we have 11 positive at the moment and 14 reviews that are mixed. One outright negative. This doesn't included reviews that don't give scores that are positive like GameXplain or a few other scores that have come out. Of the 14 only 6 are below what would be a 70 or 7. So there are 19 positive scores above a 70 out of 26. Significant more positives then negatives out there.

Again as said though you can play the very beginning of the game for free. So anyone slightly interested should take that opportunity and decide for themselves regardless of the reviews.

please stop defending the game review scores, a 7 is not positive, in fact almost all those review sites that gave it a 7 is the what average rating on there site for reviews.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
honestly i'm not all that surprised by the overall reaction, although i will say that i liked it when i played the japanese version and that a lot of the primary complaints these guys have can be applied to 4 as well. i'd rank this one below 2 and 3 but above 1 and 4. it's clearly low budget and stretched thin in content and ideas, but i get such a kick of the atmosphere and combat that i can't help but love it.

i think anyone who actually likes this series will like this one as well. it's a niche within a niche that would have scored a lot better, i think, back in the ps2 era when this kind of game was more en vogue.

marmoka

Banned
Isn't the game designed around using the screen of the GamePad as the viewer of a camera. How did you expect that to work with a non screen controller?

The same way previous Fatal Frame games worked: with a traditional controller.

Isn't the game designed around using the screen of the GamePad as the viewer of a camera. How did you expect that to work with a non screen controller?

A real post on GAF.

even by metracritic standards a 7 is a average or mixed review, cause thats what the average review score is for most of there publications .

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The reviews don't surprise me if it's like FF4, it's somewhat old-styled, and the type of games either will be appealing to you or not based on what you're looking for. Most of the complaints I see are also true of FF4, basically, but I actually really liked FF4, and they're less full on complaints rather than if they're in your 'strike zone' or not. All of the FF games have back-tracking, repeating environments were in 4 with different twists, and some of the slower-paced elements are in the whole series also.

I will see how FF5 ranks for me with the franchise as a horror fan, but FF is one of the few horror game franchises that has changed very little from the outset, and some people are much rougher on games with older design philosophies. Given that for others, it might be the very thing that helps make it appealing.

please stop defending the game review scores, a 7 is not positive, in fact almost all those review sites that gave it a 7 is the what average rating on there site for reviews.

rJensus.gif

tesqui

I've never played any of these games, and this one seems to be not so great. I want to play one of the better ones. I notice that the first 3 are on ps3 psn. I heard 2 is the best, so should I skip one or is it important to play them in order?

edit: decided to read some of the reviews, and i'm seeing that at least the atmosphere is good.

Cut content is lame. They don't want to take the effort to advertise it or spend the money to release it physically, but they have enough of both to go through the trouble of censoring costumes? It's not a huge deciding factor, but throwing it on top of a full price digital only release makes me think I'll wait to see if they ever do a sale and get it then.

eXistor

As soon as I read the game was like 25 hours long I was becoming a bit afraid. Games like this don't ever need to be this long. Looking at the scores it's probably a part of what makes this game not so great (I haven't actually read any reviews). When will devs realize bigger is not better.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I've never played any of these games, and this one seems to be not so great. I want to play one of the better ones. I notice that the first 3 are on ps3 psn. I heard 2 is the best, so should I skip one or is it important to play them in order?

i'd say 3 is the best. if you're actually interested in getting the most out of the series you want to play them in order: 1, 2, 3, 5. 4 is mostly separate from the main narrative.

they do work well enough standalone so you can really just jump in anywhere if you want. 5 is a great game, just understand what you're getting from the series going into it. if you really hate 5, you probably won't love the others much either.

Wow, lower scores than expected- I've been having a lot of fun with it. I think this may turn out to be another Zombi U debacle.

Gardios

As soon as I read the game was like 25 hours long I was becoming a bit afraid. Games like this don't ever need to be this long. Looking at the scores it's probably a part of what makes this game not so great (I haven't actually read any reviews). When will devs realize bigger is not better.

Except most of the reviews say the game is around 12hours long, so I'm not sure where this 25 hour figure is coming from.

Anyways, while that big of a horror game fan I'll probably give the demo a shot at least.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
For a break-down of the series:

Fatal Frame 1 has a pretty straight-foward story and may be the hardest game in the franchise due to some imbalance of how difficult some ghosts are, it's set in one single location that slowly opens up over time, but in my opinion is one of the creepier titles in the franchise. It's rough around the edges in some ways, but some of that roughness adds to the appeal (the game having sudden difficulty spikes does make the fear of survival of what might be coming up increase XD; ).

Fatal Frame 2 is actually by far the easiest entry in the series, but it has an interesting location, a bit more of a dramatic story, and some fun ghosts and atmosphere, and generally is the most popular due to its story and setting. Story isn't really surprising, but well told, and there's some fun J-horror style ghosts in it.

Fatal Frame 3 I think is often under appreciated, it introduces the multiple characters for chapters thing, and features a story about a place appearing in people's dreams. As such, you hop between the 'haunted' house in your dreams, and your apartment, that's slowly growing creepier and creepier. I like that mechanic, and in my opinion some of the creepiest ghosts exists in the third game, and it has my favorite ending of the four games. It also started the longer FF-game thing, I think FF3 took me 18-19 hours to beat taking my time (while the first two are about half of that). I think FF3 has my personal favorite story in the series, and FF3 has the most hidden scenes that are easy to miss in my opinion.

Fatal Frame 4 I've concluded might be my favorite, which is weird to say since I think I also have the most problems with it, but I think it has the most interesting and creepy setting with interesting and grim rooms, and something about it I find really appealing, I can't quite put my finger on it, but I really enjoyed exploring the location, and some of the moments and scenes in that game are the best in the franchise in my opinion.

---

I have not played FF5, but honestly it's what I fear might happen. Not with the game, but the reception. FF5 basically sounds like critics are taking issue with what is also present in the other entries in the series. Some are loving it, while some can't appreciate it being old-school designed. A lot of horror fans are upset that horror games like this don't exist any more, it's the reason why RE, Silent Hill, and the like changed, a changing market. FF has stayed mostly the same over time, it's had changes but it's still very much old-school, and the 'flaws' people are calling out in the reviews are true of the rest of the series as well. But those 'flaws' are just in personal taste, and some will actually enjoy them. Others won't, but those who like older-school horror games or the older horror games, or FF3 or FF4 even, what is called out here is echoed in those games as well, so basically it sounds more like the game wasn't in the strike-zone of those who've played it.

That's fair, fine, and it's why I believe reviews are so all-over the place, but it does mean it's less likely people who like these type of games are going to see many of them over here again, which is a shame. Horror fans I know who have played the game are positive on it, and I feel this just shows it's a niche audience type thing, which is a bit saddening.

It's ninjablade. Best thing to do is ignore when he/she shows up. Especially when it comes to anything Nintendo related.

this has nothing do with being nintendo related. even metracritic states that a 7 is a mixed or average review for games on there site .

linkloz

Neo Member
Wouldn't be the first great horror game to not review well. D, Enemy Zero, Clock Tower (ps1), Haunting Ground, ZombiU and Obscure are all great horror games that were met with mediocre critical response.

I don't mean to discredit reviews with that statement, just don't be so quick to write the game off.

kunonabi

edit: decided to read some of the reviews, and i'm seeing that at least the atmosphere is good.

Order is isn't overly important although 3 probably benefits the most from playing them in sequence.

FF2 is the best game in the series and one of the absolute best horror games ever made.

My general order so far would be FF2 > FF2 Wiimake > FF4 > FF1 > FF 3

Considering the reviews harping on padding and backtacking it would seem like FFV follows FF3 more than the rest of series.

Most of the higher scores seem to be coming from Nintendo fan sites.

Nintendo Life (7/10), Nintendo World Report (8.5 / 10), Nintendo Enthusiast (9 / 10)

Edit: It's just an observation. I'm not trying to discredit their positive reviews. They all offered well-written reviews.

Not sure about the other two, but I frequent NintendoLife and calling it a "fan site" is a big stretch, unless you're talking specifically about the community. It's a news site that focuses on Nintendo content. They also manage PushSquare and PureXbox and are a sister group to Eurogamer. If anything, most of their editorials are less than positive. The staff do honest work and are one of the few review sites that actually liberally use the entire 1-10 scale. A 5/10 game to them isn't bad, just "OK, needs polish."

greg400

Banned
Wasn't really sold on this game to begin with, still gonna try the demo though. Will probably end up skipping even after the demo, especially since it's digital only.

rtcn63

FF4 is awesome, did you play it? It rivals FF2 imo.

The controls in FF4 (wii right?) aren't good though. They won't stop you from enjoying the game necessarily, but they probably will hinder it to some extent. And your run speed is the equivalent to like half the walk speed of other games, and you still need to hold down the button. (Oh and the frequent loading is just icing on the cake....)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Jim's review reminds me of FF3. Crippling repetition. Really neat conceit and quite scary but just wasn't fun to play.

Kudo

Yeah, now I don't even feel bad for not buying this thanks to the censorship and after seeing these reviews.
Hopefully we'll see something from Supermassive in future, seems like the horror-genre is slowly dying.
Really enjoyed FF2 so shame to see it go down like this.

OniBaka

Guess people don't like old school horror which makes me sad, doubt re2 remake will do great if it sticks to old school.

kunonabi

Has it even been edited in NA? I've seen no confirmation of that.

All the evidence so far points to the "offensive" costumes being removed. How that effects the cutscene(s) from the story has not been addressed. Whether or not the boob physics or anything else has been altered is also unclear.

Top Bottom