• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prometheus (Alien 'prequel' movie) starts shooting March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gattsu25

Banned
ZEBRA_GIRL.gif
Is there more without the shitty helmet?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Not that I'm aware of, I always thought it would be a subtle way of tying the two together. But who knows anymore.

Read Alien: Original Sin. While it is set in the AvP universe it does explore why the Alien Craft was on the planet and how Nostromo's passing the planet wasn't just a coincidence.

gabbo

Read Alien: Original Sin. While it is set in the AvP universe it does explore why the Alien Craft was on the planet and how Nostromo's passing the planet wasn't just a coincidence.

I am not under the assumption that the Nostromo ends up on the planet coincidentally.

Its so odd to see such an old guy not allow his age to take away his edge. That may be premature to say but from what I've read of Scott and the images/trailers he seems to have held on to what makes a good sci fi film.

Suck it, Spielberg and Lucas. Fuck your walkie talkies and Jar Jar Binks. This is entertainment.

Boy is this stupid.

Gattsu25

Banned
Never seen 3 & 4. I guess I should get around to them sometime before Prometheus. Will likely buy the quadrilogy.
I really want to watch 3 again and, at the same time, I have no desire to watch 4 again.

I don't even know how to describe what I don't like about 4 but I'll try.

It seems like a "movie" to me. What I mean by that is that I feel that I am watching produced entertainment - that they were not properly able to hide the fact that this all took place on sound stages with actors reading off of pages.
There are a lot of scenes of characters turning and then staring directly into the camera.
There are forced "comedy" bits that fall flat and felt like they were specifically written to add 'levity' to the earth-shatteringly heavy drama.
There are secrets that people hide that don't make any logical sense other than for dramatic purposes.
There are whole sequences that are so oddly directed that they feel like they were made with an entirely disparate creative vision than the rest of the movie.
Below all of that, creeping just outside of recognition, is the feeling that the entire production is cheap - as if the movie were written for a television series and given a huge budget that the makers had little time to accommodate, outside of set design and camera rentals.

3 is an equally odd movie, but I sort of have a soft spot for it. To my untrained eyes the cinematography felt foreign in the way that Delicatessen felt foreign, though not with nearly as much conviction.

Stet

Banned
No xenomorphs.

This time it's

cats. thousands of them.

The music swells to a huge crescendo and BOOM a locker flies open and a xenomorph jumps out and everyone goes "oh thank god, it's not a cat."

And that's when Jonesy gets mad.

Puddles

Banned
The sequence in 4 where an alien crawls into an escape pod before the fleeing station crew members can manage to get it launched is pretty damn brilliant, and it's shot very well.

That's about the only good thing I can say about the film. Well, I guess the underwater scene was pretty intense, and the way the aliens escape was a pretty innovative idea.

Stet

Banned
The sequence in 4 where an alien crawls into an escape pod before the fleeing station crew members can manage to get it launched is pretty damn brilliant, and it's shot very well.

That's about the only good thing I can say about the film. Well, I guess the underwater scene was pretty intense, and the way the aliens escape was a pretty innovative idea.

The underwater scene was only intense if you make the assumption that none of those characters can breathe underwater, which is a silly assumption since they're down there for about ten minutes.

FStop7

Banned
I liked some of the concepts of Alien: Res. Like the room full of failed clone attempts. Or even the concept of cloning Ripley in the first place. But the execution is just... off.

Minority report, A.I, Catch Me If You Can, Munich, Tintin.

Are you telling me Scott has a better filmography this past decade?

He wasn't saying anything about Scott's output, it's more that calling Spielberg the best director of the decade is a bold call indeed.

On topic, this film looks outstanding. I believe the original Alien towers above all of the subsequent films.

I liked some of the concepts of Alien: Res. Like the room full of failed clone attempts. Or even the concept of cloning Ripley in the first place. But the execution is just... off.

I think my problem with it goes deeper. The fact Ripley didn't die. Her story should have ended but it didn't. The quest for more money was too seductive. They ruined a perfectly satisfying conclusion to Ripley's story - she dies taking the queen with her. I'd have been happy with her simply returning to Earth in Aliens with Newt but this was the next best alternative.

The quest for money is a difficult one to say no to. :(

Prove me wrong, children. Prove me wrong!

Coens have made better films than Steven Spielberg in the last decade, if you want to be proven wrong. And here are a few more: Wes Anderson, Terrence Malick, Darren Aronofsky, Pedro Almodovar, Andrew Stanton, Brad Bird, Chan-wook Park and David Fincher.

Coens have made betters films than Steven Spielberg in the last decade, if you want to be proven wrong. And here are a few more: Wes Anderson, Terrence Malick, Darren Aronofsky, Pedro Almodovar, Andrew Stanton, Brad Bird, Chan-wook Park and David Fincher.

I agree with everyone but CWP.

The New World and/or The Tree of Life say hello. Two of the best films ever made.

Tree of Life is 2011. And yeah like I said one movie doesn't count.

I'm confident if he made a bunch that decade he'd be the best though. So I'm not arguing quality.

And yeah I'd put Spielberg up there, above the Coens (which are hit or miss for me) and Scorcese last decade.

I don't count animated directors either.

Tree of Life is 2011. And yeah like I said one movie doesn't count.

I'm confident if he made a bunch that decade he'd be the best though. So I'm not arguing quality.

And yeah I'd put Spielberg up there, above the Coens (which are hit or miss for me) and Scorcese last decade.

I don't count animated directors either.

It counts, he counted Tintin.

Brad Bird also made the best action movie in YEARS so that at least counts for something. #Ghotocol. And that is super silly you don't count animated directors, those two have produced better films than 99% of live-action stuff.

Fletcher

So fucking stoked on this movie and the Hobbit. Easily my two most anticipated films of next year and I get to see trailers for both on Wednesday.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I just hope this doesn't turn out like Super 8. I was so hyped for that movie and was very disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom