• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prometheus (Alien 'prequel' movie) starts shooting March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zeliard said:
Are they getting H.R. Geiger back for this?
Apparently Giger is involved in some capacity, but the information out there is very vague. We know Neville Page is involved in a lot of the design, including costumes.

GhaleonEB said:
Sounds like this will be a prequel done right, in terms of approach. I just hope Scott is allowed to make an R film.

Yeah! Cause the FOX exec in the eight-thousand dollar suit is going to be able to by a years supply if only adults can see this movie! COME ON!

ezekial45

Banned
cory. said:
First Class turned out all right.
Yeah, Vaughn actually praised Fox and Rothman for their support. So it might safe to say that they've changed.

It was probably the success of Avatar that did it.

cory. said:

That was pg13... but also aimed to be a block buster.

What are they trying to make this film be? I know it got knocked down from 2 flicks to 1 and it started out being Hard R and then... ???

I'm hoping they either find a middle ground or film with a directors cut version in mind a la live free or die hard.

GhaleonEB

Scullibundo said:
Yeah! Cause the FOX exec in the eight-thousand dollar suit is going to be able to by a years supply if only adults can see this movie! COME ON!
I am allowed to dream and you can't crush them. I won't let you. *raspberries*

(It will be PG-13)

Jin34

cory. said:

Not at the BO which they could use as justification while conveniently forgetting that the last 2 movies sucked so why would people expect this one to be good.

Also The Wolverine.

Holy shit HYPE times a million if Scott is going to be incorporating ideas such as the ancient astronaut theory. I've always wanted that to be touched on in a film. Very fascinating, although I wouldn't say I am a strong believer in it. This movie will deliver.

Sorry if I sound incredibly ignorant here but what's all this space jockey stuff that you guys are talking about? I recently saw the whole series on blu ray and don't recall anything space jockey...

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Sorry if I sound incredibly ignorant here but what's all this space jockey stuff that you guys are talking about? I recently saw the whole series on blu ray and don't recall anything space jockey...
Remember in Alien when the crew first goes inside the alien ship that had landed on the planet? And there was this big statue looking dead thing in the middle, with a hole in it's chestal area? That's a space jockey. Basically it's an alien we don't really know much about.

Neuromancer said:
Remember in Alien when the crew first goes inside the alien ship that had landed on the planet? And there was this big statue looking dead thing in the middle, with a hole in it's chestal area? That's a space jockey. Basically it's an alien we don't really know much about.
That's what I thought. I guess I'll look it up some more to see what their deal is.

TimeKillr

Ugh.

My aunt, who also happens to be my godmother, was talking to me the other day.

She used to be really big into jet-set type of shit, hanging out with stars and all. No clue how she did all that but anyway.

So she's sitting next to me at dinner for my grandma's funeral. I haven't seen her in a few years, mind you. I explain to her what I do (I'm a game designer). She goes: "You know who you gotta meet? I'm sure you two would get along. Ridley Scott. Really nice guy, pretty short, but really nice!"

WTF. Why the hell wasn't I contact with her for a few years now? heh. :)

ROFL

Hail Britannia
Yeah the panspermia theme is exactly what I guessed when they dropped the Prometheus title and hinted about 'Alien DNA' etc..

Dead

well not really...yet
That sounds like it could be legit, based on what everyone involved has said and hinted at.

Yet, its also something anyone could make up and piece together based on everything everyone involved hase said and hinted at.

either way, not worthy of the drama queen headline. Then again, it is a gawker network site.

Dead said:
That sounds like it could be legit, based on what everyone involved has said and hinted at.

Yet, its also something anyone could make up and piece together based on everything everyone involved hase said and hinted at.

either way, not worthy of the drama queen headline. Then again, it is a gawker network site.

Exactly.

Nothing wrong with that outline except
faster-than-light travel in 2058

Another thought about that outline:
Does that mean that Scientologists and/or the Nation of Islam were right? :O

Replicant

Why is i09 bitching about that plotline? Sounds pretty good to me. It reminds me of many greek tales, and it's fitting that the film is called "Prometheus", if you know the background story of that mythology.

ROFL

Hail Britannia
Replicant said:
Why is i09 bitching about that plotline? Sounds pretty good to me. It reminds me of many greek tales, and it's fitting that the film is called "Prometheus", if you know the background story of that mythology.

Presumably because they have read a LOT of science fiction. In literature these ideas are old and hackneyed, a bit less so in movies. When they read the press releases about some grand, new mythology perhaps they were thinking along the lines of some of their favourite space epics like Dan Simmons' Hyperion more than say, Stargate for example.. And that they were hoping for something much more unique to the franchise and perhaps 'true' to the original story, whatever that may be - the space jockeys are just an interesting advanced alien race, the aliens are just an extremely dangerous alien species, that sort of thing maybe?
That's just my assumption of course, not saying I agree with them.. the premise maybe unoriginal but it does seem to fit the ingredients already established quite well, if handled well it could potentially be awesome.. it's all going to be in the execution. (So they hired a writer from Lost)

Big One

Banned
This doesn't sound true to the Alien universe at all but sounds really awesome in concept. Hope the execution is good.

Truant

ezekial45 said:
That sounds pretty interesting to be honest.

Same here. I would watch it. I mean, a lot of great films could be broken down into a stupid sounding paragraph if you really wanted to.

Zeliard

It sounds fine. Tying Space Jockeys to the ancient astronaut theory could work nicely, and as a poster previously pointed out, it ties in perfectly to the "Prometheus" angle.

Truant

What was the previous original plot again? All I remember is something about sex slaves.

Anyway, if this is not the official plot, they better come up with something great, because otherwise I'll be disappointed.

The whole
"meet friendly aliens, one evil human in the group fucks it up out of a lust for power"
thing is pretty cliche though.

Man

There have been several leaks of early scripts and whatnot (presumely).

Humans
terraforming was one element. Another element was that no one truly ever died as a copy would be made if the original died. These are just vague wordings from various parts of the net...

There haven't been any script leaks, per se, but Scott was talking about the terraforming aspect literally over a year ago:

Ridley Scott said:
It's Weyland. Weyland hasn't joined Yutani yet, so they go and see Weyland. [The film] is about the discussion of terraforming — taking planets and planetoids and balls of earth and trying to terraform, seed them with the possibilities of future life.
In fact, the entire summary sounds like it was pieced from Ridley Scott quotes. Except the dyslexic who wrote it got the year wrong:
Earth. Year 2058.
Ridley Scott said:
It's set in 2085, about 30 years before Sigourney.
Plus, Fox said it's bullshit:
A Fox rep told us the above synopsis is not real at all, and described it as "way off." And they provided us with the following official synopsis:

Visionary filmmaker Ridley Scott returns to the genre he helped define, creating an original science fiction epic set in the most dangerous corners of the universe. The film takes a team of scientists and explorers on a thrilling journey that will test their physical and mental limits and strand them on a distant world, where they will discover the answers to our most profound questions and to life's ultimate mystery.

ROFL

Hail Britannia
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ridley-scott-michael-fassbender-noomi-206321

"The (space) journey, metaphorically, is about a challenge to the gods," Scott said. But Scott's ambitions with Prometheus go far beyond simply restarting a hit franchise. The British director said the film's storyline, and script by David Lindelof, was partially inspired by the writings of legendary Swiss sci-fi writer Eric van Daniken.

Van Daniken, author of 1968 bestseller Chariot of the Gods, is best known as the first proponent of the so-called ancient astronaut theory, which holds that aliens kick-started civilization on earth. "NASA and the Vatican agree that is almost mathematically impossible that we can be where we are today without there being a little help along the way," Scott said. "That's what we're looking at (in the film), at some of Eric van Daniken's ideas of how did we humans come about."

Yasae

Banned
FunkyPajamas said:
So what you're saying is... you had some kind of Oedipus complex? :p
No, he didn't say that.

I had a great adoration for those characters when I was young, too. Definitely not a crush, but there's this extra facet created to both of them when you see an actual woman doing those things which most people won't ever experience. It's really what puts those films OTT for me.

ROFL

Hail Britannia
Man said:
There have been several leaks of early scripts and whatnot (presumely).

Humans
terraforming was one element. Another element was that no one truly ever died as a copy would be made if the original died. These are just vague wordings from various parts of the net...

Yeah I don't think there have been any actual script leaks yet.. The terraforming stuff comes from an old spec script by Jon Spaihts which is available online, which was then in turn reportedly some sort of basis for his draft of the Alien sequel. This was then substantially re-written once Scott settled on the new take and Lost boy was brought on, so it's unknown how much if any of that earlier script remains.

Zeliard

Even if that one script isn't legit the film still seems pretty clearly headed into both Space Jockey and ancient astronaut territory, given what Ridley Scott himself has been saying.

It's certainly possible and probably even likely that someone just used those two bits of info and went from there, but either way, those two aspects look to be dominant in Scott's new movie.

Snaku

Banned
"NASA and the Vatican agree that is almost mathematically impossible that we can be where we are today without there being a little help along the way," Scott said. "That's what we're looking at (in the film), at some of Eric van Daniken's ideas of how did we humans come about."

Uh-huh, so who did the alien gods get help from?

Man

shintoki said:
It's kind of hard to imagine an Alien without violence, because that is basically what the creature represents. Heh.
Male sexual violence specifically I believe they said (how their lifecycle functions and the mere look of the creature).

In the extended cut of Alien, the Xenomorph apparently inherits the mindset of one of it's earlier victims which gives it the hots for that one woman. It then tries to simulate male arousal with it's tail. Cut to scene of Ripley running down a tunnel with alien shrieks of high-tempo moaning and the lady screaming.

ezekial45 said:
How many favorite actors can one movie possibly have?

Zabka

LaserBuddha said:
The whole
"meet friendly aliens, one evil human in the group fucks it up out of a lust for power"
thing is pretty cliche though.
They should throw in a rebellious teenage boy who always does the opposite of what his father asks him. It'll be totally awesome

Ben Foster is all growed up

04_article.jpg

uK6pd.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom