• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prometheus (Alien 'prequel' movie) starts shooting March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomis

Fetts_Jets said:
ncB24.jpg
AhuyX.jpg

rszgqv.gif

I can't wait to see that horseshoe shaped space jockey ship cruising around.

So according to the supposed plot...
is the Jockey who follows the crew the one that crashes onto LV-426? It would be a nice segue into Alien.

ezekial45 said:
Awesome! They have Giger back doing the designs, right?
He's doing something.
"Ridley Scott and I met in London to discuss the details of the project" confirms Giger. "It was a warm reunion after such a long time."

According to the newspaper, Giger has been busy working in his studio in Zurich on the latest creatures for Prometheus. Unfortunately he's bound by contract to not give away any details.

"It's going to be huge. I cannot tell what I'm doing exactly."

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50329

“If one is afraid of nature in this profession then it would be best to find a different job,” director Ridley Scott told reporters at a short meeting in central Reykjavik before heading off to Hekla to film — less than a week after international media erroneously reported that Hekla was about to blow its top any moment. Scott said he did not lose any sleep over the ominous news reports.

The director confirmed that Iceland will not play the starring role in Prometheus:
“It will be 15 minutes in total, if all goes to plan. We are shooting the beginning of time.”

Quickly rising next year's list for my most anticipated.

Man

Oh my God... Oh my God.

Screw The Hobbit, Dark Knight Rises and the other greats of next year.

Prometheus is my most anticipated 2012 anything in entertainment.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Man said:
Oh my God... Oh my God.

Ridley's return to the Sci fi genre really is something to look forward to. Can he accomplish a trifecta of masterpieces? I bloody hope so.

Man

Scullibundo said:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50329
The director confirmed that Iceland will not play the starring role in Prometheus: “It will be 15 minutes in total, if all goes to plan.
We are shooting the beginning of time.”
Quickly rising next year's list for my most anticipated.

But what is this?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/pho...929877&Signature=d6+7nLdGuOWttdw2zM35wzcBBoQ=

From Iceland shooting.

It doesn't look Alien. Maybe it's one of the Nostromo legs after the haphazard landing.. Zomg. Alien sequel but far into the future. Time starting over again.

Maybe the time thing isn't necessarily literal. It might have to do with terraforming a planet, which also might be why some of the principle actors are on the Iceland shoot.

Man said:
Oh my God... Oh my God.

Pro: Ridley Scott's glorious return to scifi, dat cast
Con: Ridley Scott's filmography lately, Damon Lindelof on the script
Fuuuuck: Prequel to Alien, PREQUEL TO ALIEN, Damon Lindelof

I'm skeptical of everything but the way this film will look, because I'm pretty sure that after Alien and Blade Runner, this film is guaranteed to look so nice.

Discotheque said:
Pro: Ridley Scott's glorious return to scifi, dat cast
Con: Ridley Scott's filmography lately, Damon Lindelof on the script
Fuuuuck: Prequel to Alien, PREQUEL TO ALIEN, Damon Lindelof

I'm skeptical of everything but the way this film will look, because I'm pretty sure that after Alien and Blade Runner, this film is guaranteed to look so nice.
I know people like to groan at the mention of 3D, but I was thinking the other day how genuinely exciting it is that this film is being shot that way.

The idea of being able to experience these incredible sets and creatures with the same sense of space and scale as the characters in the film sounds absolutely thrilling.

Yeah I'm not a fan of 3d but when done right (that Herzog documentary, Avatar) it is actually a new tech with new uses and not a useless gimmick.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Fetts_Jets said:
I know people like to groan at the mention of 3D, but I was thinking the other day how genuinely exciting it is that this film is being shot that way.

The idea of being able to experience these incredible sets and creatures with the same sense of space and scale as the characters in the film sounds absolutely thrilling.
3D on film does not act like real human eyes. [/debbiedowner] [/3d.hater]

Blader

D2M15 said:
Was it Lindelof who made an over-serious mess of the Tron story, or the other Lost alumni?

Horowitz and Kitsis wrote Tron: Legacy. I don't think any film Lindelof has worked on has come out yet, though Cowboys & Aliens will be the first.

DieH@rd

Banned
Is this new?

"Visionary filmmaker Ridley Scott returns to the genre he helped define, creating an original science fiction epic set in the most dangerous corners of the universe. The film takes a team of scientists and explorers on a thrilling journey that will test their physical and mental limits and strand them on a distant world, where they will discover the answers to our most profound questions and to life’s ultimate mystery."

DieH@rd said:
Is this new?

"Visionary filmmaker Ridley Scott returns to the genre he helped define, creating an original science fiction epic set in the most dangerous corners of the universe. The film takes a team of scientists and explorers on a thrilling journey that will test their physical and mental limits and strand them on a distant world, where they will discover the answers to our most profound questions and to life’s ultimate mystery."

It was released a few weeks ago. Pretty lame/generic.

Blader5489 said:
Double post, but finally have our first official image:

prometheus.jpg

Good lookin out on the pic. I must admit my hype levels are definitely rising for this movie! Not to mention it's gonna be cool seeing Idris Elba acting in another legit movie again.

Zeliard

Movie's got a seriously bangin' cast.

Michael Fassbender, Idris Elba, Charlize Theron, Noomi Rapace, Guy Pearce

Unfortunately Pearce will probably be in it for roughly 6 minutes.

Pctx

Banned
prometheus.jpg

I'm really looking forward to this movie.

Also:
Zeliard said:
Movie's got a seriously bangin' cast.

Michael Fassbender, Idris Elba, Charlize Theron, Noomi Rapace, Guy Pearce

Unfortunately Pearce will probably be in it for roughly 6 minutes.

Don't Hurt Locker his ass twice or he'll turn into that guy.....

Vagabundo

Why even bother using the "alien" universe if there are no aliens in it. Seems pointless to me; the alien universe didn't seem that interesting.

Man

Vagabundo said:
Why even bother using the "alien" universe if there are no aliens in it. Seems pointless to me; the alien universe didn't seem that interesting.
The great mystery of the films is where they came from, the origin of the spacecraft in the first movie not to mention the dead (alien) astronaut inside. Seems like this movie will explore parts of that.

Vagabundo said:

You so crazy. Even Batman drops in to hang out in the Alien universe. It's a nonstop party! Maybe Fassbender is playing The Punisher or Robocop. That ain't boring!

bal2.jpg

Vagabundo said:
Who said there wasn't?

uUWtx.jpg

Apparently people are watching footage now...

Revenant

Vagabundo said:

Giger is involved, that's why.

Zeliard

Man said:
The great mystery of the films is where they came from, the origin of the spacecraft in the first movie not to mention the dead (alien) astronaut inside. Seems like this movie will explore parts of that.

Yeah, they're attempting to approach the universe from a new angle and the mythology is ripe for that sort of thing. There are already inherent mysteries built into the Alien universe, so they don't really have to force it too much.

And that it's actually coming from Ridley Scott of all people should be enormous cause for excitement. I've had a raging hard-on since it was first announced as just a germ of an idea.

Vagabundo

If there is a connection to the alien backstory, then great, sounds good, but the quotes seems to say it is something totally divorced from the Aliens themselves. Unconnected.

I'm all for a Ridley/Giger scifi film though anyway. I watched Alien maybe 50 times or so.

Comic-Con ‘11: Charlize Theron Says She Runs Weyland-Yutani (aka The Company) In ‘Prometheus’
Most significantly, Theron revealed that her character will be at the head of The Company, the corporation known as Weyland-Yutani, who are present throughout the “Alien” films, and run the human colonies outside the solar system.

"Alien" type facehugger eggs are shown throughout the PROMETHEUS footage.
Just got a first glimpse of Prometheus. They say it has Alien DNA but that's as far as it goes, but wow does this look a lot like Alien.
The Prometheus footage is amazing! Fassbender is great!
PROMETHEUS footage, y'all. PEOPLE IN BUBBLE HELMETS SHOOTING GUNS!

DieH@rd

Banned
JustPressPlay
They just showed PROMETHEUS promo reel. This has to be part of the ALIEN universe. #SDCC

John McCracken
PROMETHEUS definitely looks like it's set in the ALIEN world. But Ridley keeps saying it shares only a little of its DNA. #sdcc

BuzzSugar
Just saw some of the first footage of #Prometheus. Michael Fassbender in space! I'd follow him anywhere. #

ProgGrrl
:single manly tear: RT @ElisabethRappe Prometheus looks INCREDIBLE. Terrifying! Fassbender cries, so u know it has to be crazy & sick #SDCC

The scale of Prometheus is shockingly large. Cool Alien-esq sets. Charlize Theron stars. #sdcc

Zeliard

Vagabundo said:
If there is a connection to the alien backstory, then great, sounds good, but the quotes seems to say it is something totally divorced from the Aliens themselves. Unconnected.

I'm all for a Ridley/Giger scifi film though anyway. I watched Alien maybe 50 times or so.

I think that's because development ideas seem to have changed a few times. It was originally meant to be a true prequel to the first Alien, then it was like "no actually it's a brand new sci-fi story," until the point we are now where it appears to be a new story but one that is directly linked to the Alien universe in significant ways. The connecting thread there has probably always been Space Jockeys and the Company.

GhaleonEB

The bits of the set and the official pic have me absurdly hyped. The visual style clicked at that moment for some reason, even though I knew what Scott was up to.

Can't wait to see the Comic Con footage.

Vagabundo

Zeliard said:
I think that's because development ideas seem to have changed a few times. It was originally meant to be a true prequel to the first Alien, then it was like "no actually it's a brand new sci-fi story," until the point we are now where it appears to be a new story but one that is directly linked to the Alien universe in significant ways. The connecting thread there has probably always been Space Jockeys and the Company.

I hope it well nailed down by now. Sounds messy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom