• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

promising australian baseballer man shot by stupid idiot teenagers in oklahoma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzom21

I really want to know what the hell those parents are doing with these kids (or not doing at all)... It's not just the idiots that shot the poor man, it's also those who raised them.

@thread dogpiling: Yo if you guys are going to argue to that extent, move it to PM's or something.

Chumly

A young black man, most likely. Prove me wrong.

This article would be perfect for you

The predictable happened as soon as the race of the three teens charged in the Oklahoma slaying of Christopher Lane, a young white Australian baseball player was known. Two are black. The cry immediately went up yet again that whites are in dire peril from being victimized, and likely killed by young blacks. There is not a shred of evidence or even the hint that killing Lane was racially motivated. The teens themselves could only say that they killed him because they were "bored" and that he happened to be an accessible and convenient target. This in no way minimizes the horror and tragedy of their alleged act, and prosecutors wasted no time in filing charges against them as adults. Oklahoma is a tough death penalty state, and it's almost certain that the death penalty will loom large in consideration against the two black teens that are charged with first-degree murder in the killing, their age notwithstanding.

Meanwhile, the FBI's annual figures on homicide rates in America repeatedly show that of the thousands of killings in the nation annually only a minuscule number of whites are killed by blacks. The plain fact is that whites are likely to be killed by other whites, and blacks by other blacks. Yet, it's because interracial killings, more specifically black-on-white killing, is so rare that it lends itself to fear, sensationalism, and hysteria. The clamor even extends to the press. It's now become a ritual for right-wing bloggers, and talk show hosts, to brow beat the national media for supposedly clamping a wall of silence on black-on-white killing cases because it fears inflaming racial tensions, and is scared stiff that it will be called racist for talking up black-on-white crimes. Yet when whites assault or kill blacks the press and civil rights leaders supposedly leap over each other to blare it out as headline news. This supposedly proves that the national press is somehow in collusion with civil rights leaders to cover up the alleged epidemic of black-on-white killings.

This is a false, self-serving, and cheap ploy to knock the press and civil rights leaders. Yet, the horrific killing of Lane does cast a troubling glare on an aspect of violent crime in America that isn't much talked about beyond race baiting digs at the media and civil rights leaders. And that's the reasons that blacks do kill whites. Even though the numbers are small, a higher proportion of whites are likely to be killed by blacks than whites killing blacks. As in the Oklahoma slaying, there is no evidence that the killings are racially motivated, whites are targeted because they are perceived to have valuables in the home, cash, a luxury car, or other conspicuous objects of value that criminals seek out and that poor blacks aren't likely to have. In other words, these crimes are almost all cases of garden-variety street crime. The alleged Oklahoma teen shooters prove that point. There is no talk about getting whites in their Facebook page rants, but rather an exulting of the pseudo tough guy, gangster lifestyle.

Prosecutors in trying to determine whether to prosecute an interracial killing or attack as a hate crime or not have to figure out is their racial animus in the crime. For it to be a hate crime they have to prove that a black intentionally targeted a white victim solely because of their color. That's takes hard evidence of racial taunts, threats, writings, or statements by the perpetrator to prove race was the motivating factor in the attack. In the absence of that evidence, the charge that the attack was a hate crime won't fly.

The suggestion that the national press engages in a cover-up to quash killings committed by blacks of whites because it's afraid to offend blacks is just as absurd. The better explanation is that crime news is so routine that unless the accused murderer is O.J. Simpson, Phil Spector, or Robert Blake or a name celebrity, or that in the case of the alleged killers in Oklahoma they are teens, and the explanation they give why they killed is so jaw-dropping and senseless that it alone insures that it will become a leading news story.

Still, black-on-white violence anywhere stirs fear among some whites that crime-prone blacks are out to get them, and they'll seize any opportunity they get to commit violence against them. When blacks say or do nothing about these attacks it is taken by some as a tacit signal that blacks put less value on white lives than black lives. This is ridiculous. But that won't stop some from still screaming loudly that the killing of Lane proves there's a double standard in interracial killing cases. There's nothing of the sort but his heartbreaking killing unfortunately will just reinforce that belief.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Umm didn't the one kid maintain a remarkably racist twitter account where he bragged about attacking white people and affirmed his hatred toward them?
https://twitter.com/JAMESAKABUG

I don't agree with his choice to take lives, obviously, but I'm not surprised a black person living in a predominantly white community would be upset following the whole Treyvon issue.

I mean, did you look around at the comments aimed at blacks following that whole trial? You'd think Treyvon was the shooter and Zimmerman was the victim, it's pretty disgusting, and even now every black-on-white crime has some jackass pop up and try and compare the killers to Treyvon and yelling the memetic "where's the outrage/T-shirts?"

I'm pretty sure you could find a lot of Twitter accounts with negative attitudes towards whites following that ordeal, and a majority of them didn't take lives.

Chumly

Umm didn't the one kid maintain a remarkably racist twitter account where he bragged about attacking white people and affirmed his hatred toward them?
https://twitter.com/JAMESAKABUG
Even if its determined he did it for racist reasons it still doesn't discount the fact that its rare and most importantly justice is being served. Which is why there is no drama except on the racist right wing blogs.

Enzom21

Well, sorry for calling you a coward. This takes balls to own up to.
He was always forthright with his beliefs, he didn't hide behind the "why don't black people do this" nonsense like these two:
So...where's the outrage from Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson and other leaders of the black community?

Can you imagine the outrage that would be happening right now if these three kids where white and Chris Lane was black?

Why isn't Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson and all the other asshole bigots jumping in on this case to defend the helpless whiteman?

At least he realized he was wrong and owned up to it, these two will most likely never come back here. They are the real cowards.

HuffPo Article said:
There is not a shred of evidence or even the hint that killing Lane was racially motivated.

wrong.

HuffPo Article said:
The alleged Oklahoma teen shooters prove that point. There is no talk about getting whites in their Facebook page rants, but rather an exulting of the pseudo tough guy, gangster lifestyle.

wrong.

HuffPo Article said:
The teens themselves could only say that they killed him because they were "bored" and that he happened to be an accessible and convenient target.

wrong. That is something they said, yes. That is not the only thing they said.

The author of this article was apparently so taken with the pre-conceived narrative he constructed that he didn't bother looking at the details of what happened. HuffPo itself posted this the next day and this stuff was already known at the time. Instead of issuing forth a stream of badly researched dribble, the author should be working through some remedial training in journalism.

A young black man, most likely. Prove me wrong.

You know, I'll be honest, at first this comment pissed me off a bit.

Then I had flashbacks of some of the comments in the Trayvon Martin thread. Dog-whistling and not so subtle racism.

At least you're honest and open about it.

Bodacious

Banned
i don't get why this is a race thing when two of those dudes CLEARLY are not black.

yet two of those dudes are white.

Well, since you're insisting on this, here's the mugshot pic again. Two of them, James Edwards and Chancey Luna, are clearly black. The third, Michael Jones, appears predominantly caucasian-featured, though in another photo of Michael Jones, it looks like he could be of mixed race.

fq1R5gO.jpg

DXh6i0O.jpg

It doesn't really matter to me, I don't believe in 'thought crime', i.e. hate crime. You commit a murder, you get punished for murder. Motive, depravity, mitigating factors, remorse (or the lack thereof) should factor into sentencing. But one victim's life should not be automatically valued greater (through mandatory enhanced punishment) over the life of another victim simply because the first victim belonged to some 'protected group.' Just my opinion, feel free to disagree with it.

I think if its possible these murders were racially motivated, they should investigate charging the murder as a hate crime. I personally don't really believe in hate crimes per say, but if its the law in the books it needs to be applied equally regardless of which race did the murdering. To say its a totally random act without at least looking into it would be a disservice to the family of the victim.

I think if its possible these murders were racially motivated, they should investigate charging the murder as a hate crime. I personally don't really believe in hate crimes per say, but if its the law in the books it needs to be applied equally regardless of which race did the murdering. To say its a totally random act without at least looking into it would be a disservice to the family of the victim.

One of the teens tweets how he hates white people and then commits the murder? Seems like a hate crime to me.

Well, since you're insisting on this, here's the mugshot pic again. Two of them, James Edwards and Chancey Luna, are clearly black. The third, Michael Jones, appears predominantly caucasian-featured, though in another photo of Michael Jones, it looks like he could be of mixed race.

fq1R5gO.jpg

DXh6i0O.jpg

It doesn't really matter to me, I don't believe in 'thought crime', i.e. hate crime. You commit a murder, you get punished for murder. Motive, depravity, mitigating factors, remorse (or the lack thereof) should factor into sentencing. But one victim's life should not be automatically valued greater (through mandatory enhanced punishment) over the life of another victim simply because the first victim belonged to some 'protected group.' Just my opinion, feel free to disagree with it.

You don't seem to understand what a hate crime is. It's not thought crime, it's basically a form of terrorism as a motive: you killed a person because of their being in group X, for the purpose of intimidating others of that group.

If a white guy shoots a black guy, it's not a hate crime. If a Klan member does, then it is, because of the implied intimidation toward that race.

You have to prove the murder itself is racially motivated. That there was impetus to kill someone because of their race. The burden of this means that even people who've been known to say racist shit just can't be charged with a hate crime outta nowhere.

Van Owen

Banned
You have to prove the murder itself is racially motivated. That there was impetus to kill someone because of their race. The burden of this means that even people who've been known to say racist shit just can't be charged with a hate crime outta nowhere.

Didn't see too many people making this argument for Zimmerman.

Chumly

wrong.

wrong.

wrong. That is something they said, yes. That is not the only thing they said.

The author of this article was apparently so taken with the pre-conceived narrative he constructed that he didn't bother looking at the details of what happened. HuffPo itself posted this the next day and this stuff was already known at the time. Instead of issuing forth a stream of badly researched dribble, the author should be working through some remedial training in journalism.
Ok? I don't even know what your addressing here

xbhaskarx

https://twitter.com/JAMESAKABUG/status/328744054915477506

Its a hate crime, now we wait and see if it gets charged as such. He also wrote about knocking out 5 white people after the Zimmerman trial.

What's this all about? Are there any more details on this? Is it from something in his Twitter feed or from somewhere else?

Unfortunately I only speak English so most of his Twitter feed is gibberish to me...

Edit: I did a search for Zimmerman and this came up:

https://twitter.com/JAMESAKABUG/status/356787722708459521
Ayeee I knocced out 5 woods since Zimmerman court!:) lol shit ima keep sleepin shit! #ayeeee 👊👊👊

fq1R5gO.jpg

DXh6i0O.jpg

one of them is clearly black. the other two... one is mostly white and the other one is clearly white.

Oh, are they? Or did you just make that up?

CNN:

Michael Jones was the driver and isn't charged with murder... so I guess Edwards may have tweeted "90% of white ppl (people) are nasty. #HATE THEM." but "he's not racist because some of his friends are white"...

see photos. one of them is clearly black, and the other two are clearly a lot lighter. one is definitely white and one is almost there, definitely more white than anything else.

Exactly. Mostly White. Dude makes Terrence Howard look like Denzel Washington. If he was any fairer he would be unquestionably White.

I mean, unless you're using some measure other than 50%+1

xbhaskarx

Exactly. Mostly White. Dude makes Terrence Howard look like Denzel Washington. If he was any fairer he would be unquestionably White.

I mean, unless you're using some measure other than 50%+1

Do you think that in a poll, the majority of people would look at that photo and say he was white?
Do you think he self-identifies as white?
Will he and his family be complaining that the police affidavit incorrectly lists him as black?

Link

The Autumn Wind
People comparing this to the Trayvon Martin incident have once again lowered the bar of what I expect from humanity.

This is a horrible thing, and I hope the guys that did it are thrown away without a key. It's sick that people would kill because of boredom.

That said, I don't see how this even begins to compare to the Martin case. There is no element of justice undone, there is no 'self defense' claim, there is no police misconduct.

A innocent guy was gunned down in the street, and the people responsible were promptly arrested.

Are the people claiming this is 'Trayvon Martin in reverse' actually finally admitting that Trayvon was an innocent gunned down in the street? Huh.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member

So then you believe George Zimmerman wasn't a racist either.

People comparing this to the Trayvon Martin incident have once again lowered the bar of what I expect from humanity.

I think what is making some people upset is that if this story were exactly the same except that the races were reversed it would be treated 100% differently by the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom