• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Proof of concept for Taxman-version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Also, happy 20th Anniversary!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct1cErthI6s

From SonicRetro:
Today marks the 20th anniversary of SEGA’s Sonic & Knuckles, and to celebrate, Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 remastered developer Christian Whitehead shared a proof of concept prototype from the Taxman & Stealth personal vaults featuring Sonic 3 & Knuckles running on the Retro Engine. Of course, this is presented unofficially, so don’t jump to the conclusion that a Sonic 3 & Knuckles remastered is on the way anytime soon. Still, awesome to see that they’ve done work on the much requested title, even in an unofficial capacity.

Stealth also made a blog post about his involvement in the unofficial project, which can be read here. An excerpt:
To respond to the biggest question that I assume is on many people’s minds, the future of this project is uncertain. Three important facts that were already mentioned are that this project was created independently of SEGA and is in no way affiliated with them, that any release whatsoever would have to be licensed and approved by SEGA, and that this game is massive; what we have here is already the product of months of work, and that’s time that wasn’t spent directly working to make a living.

Enough of this project has been completed to prove a point. The only way that it can be continued is with both legal and financial backing from SEGA.

SoulUnison

Banned
If this becomes a real thing, I hope they give him license to improve the game within reason and restore/fix content like he did with Hidden Palace for the Sonic 2 Remaster.
Sonic 3 and Knuckles has so much cut and reworked content and such a storied development.

I wish they'd allowed him to leave Egg Gauntlet in Sonic 2 Remastered.
I also wish that he'd been allowed to do Desert Dazzle and Final Fever like he planned for Sonic CD Remastered.

That music was pretty good. I'd be down for a "new" soundtrack (with the option to go back to the original, of course,), if it's up to that quality throughout, but does Sonic own some of the voice samples used in a few places?

Chrscool8

Neo Member
Oh my god. This is amazing. I've been waiting for this for so long. Man, I hope they approve the project.

I still want home ports of Taxman's versions of Sonic 1 and 2. Get on it Sega!

I really like this man's work with this series, and his Sonic 3 & Knuckles concept looks like more of the same, which is a good thing.

MNC

Best sonic

I also do NOT want to play the special levels with touch controls. I value my life too muh

RedSwirl

Just reminded me that Sonic 2 Remaster was only ever released for mobile.

Best sonic

I also do NOT want to play the special levels with touch controls. I value my life too muh

Jesus Christ no. I'm probably gonna have nightmares about that now.

Cody_D165

Banned
giphy.gif

HOOK IT TO MY VEINS

also would love for a collection of these to come to Steam/consoles at some point down the road, the remastered Sonic CD port on Steam is flawless.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I noticed Taxman's Sonic 1 was on the demo units of iPhone 6 and 6+ recently.

So I think it will come. These ports sell decently. They're highlighted by Apple as good software... Why wouldn't they greenlight it?

Pair it with a controller (possible on both Android and iOS) and it's basically a perfect version of the game.

liquidtmd

Banned
This seems like a no brainer, given that other Taxman projects have been high up for regular periods in the charts in both IOS/Android stores.

Yeah I can see why Sega may struggle with it.

So I think it will come. These ports sell decently. They're highlighted by Apple as good software... Why wouldn't they greenlight it?

Because Sega.

BocoDragon

BTW 20 years... wow. I remember when it was released ;_;

Best Sonic.

Given what SEGA wouldn't let them do with the other games my hope for this to be a better Sonic 3 Complete is out the window.

Looks great regardless!

BocoDragon

Because Sega.

I don't really understand.. because if there's one thing modern Sega can do well, it's whore out Sonic (especially on mobile).

But maybe there are some developments lately that lead you to say that?

I don't really understand.. because if there's one thing modern Sega can do well, it's whore out Sonic (especially on mobile).

Yeah, I don't see this as being a hard choice for Sega. Christian Whitehead's iOS ports of Sonic 1 and 2 have been giving Sega a lot of great exposure in the mobile market. He pretty much does all the work himself and there is very little lifting on Sega's part to pick this up for an official release.

S3K might be harder for Sega to justify the costs of because of the Michael Jackson tracks.

But it'll make buttloads of money so whatever.

Worst case scenario they could just replace Jackson's music with generic tracks like what they did for the PC release.

S3K might be harder for Sega to justify the costs of because of the Michael Jackson tracks.

Worst case scenario they could just replace Jackson's music with generic tracks like what they did for the PC release.

I believe that's what was done for all future releases of it, including compilations and Virtual Console.

BocoDragon

I believe that's what was done for all future releases of it, including compilations and Virtual Console.

No that's not what was done for it. Only the really early mid-90s PC release had changed music.

Every re-release on VC, Xbox, PS3, Steam, Sonic Mega Collection, Sonic Mega Collection Plus, etc etc, had the original music.

I don't expect it's an issue at all. Either they paid some money ~15 years ago, or they realized it wasn't a legal issue.

Psxphile

I think if that were true there would have been a minor uproar about it. As it is I've never heard of such a thing occurring, not including the original PC release of Sonic and Knuckles Complete.

cireza

Come on Sega, give us all of this Christian Whitehead goodness for Vita already. Perfect console for all of those games !

Sonic CD
Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Tizoc

^CD is available on Steam, but not 1 and 2 =(
I'd gladly get the Classic Sonic collection on Vita if Taxman did it.

I need to check and see that Sonic 2 Taxman ver. is available on EU iOS cuz I've been waiting MONTHS for that sucker.
...and now I need S3&K remaster for 2015...even though my iOS region won't get it til 2016 at this rate :V

Sonic 3 & Knuckles was probably the very first video game I ever played; one of the supervisors at the after-school program I attended as a child had a Sega Genesis that he would bring for the kids to play with.

It was great and part of the Genesis generation of Sonic games, i.e., the only ones that aren't terrible.

TheOGB

Banned
Best sonic

Just reminded me that Sonic 2 Remaster was only ever released for mobile.

Jesus Christ no. I'm probably gonna have nightmares about that now.
Pretty much. As amazing as this would end up being, the thought of playing the special stages scares me
though I did alright getting all the emeralds with Knuckles in Sonic 2

No that's not what was done for it. Only the really early mid-90s PC release had changed music.

Every re-release on VC, Xbox, PS3, Steam, Sonic Mega Collection, Sonic Mega Collection Plus, etc etc, had the original music.

I don't expect it's an issue at all. Either they paid some money ~15 years ago, or they realized it wasn't a legal issue.

I think if that were true there would have been a minor uproar about it. As it is I've never heard of such a thing occurring, not including the original PC release of Sonic and Knuckles Complete.

My bad then. I could have sworn I heard the replaced ones more than just on PC.

jman2050

It still peeves me that 1 and 2 never got greenlit for PC by Sega. No chance in hell I ever touch these games on a mobile device.

Glad to see Stealth and Taxman working on this even without Sega's backing.

Teknoman

Sonic 3 Knuckles theme was best Knuckles theme. Really wish they used that when locked on instead of the theme from S&K.

BocoDragon

It still peeves me that 1 and 2 never got greenlit for PC by Sega. No chance in hell I ever touch these games on a mobile device.

The Android and iOS version both have controller support, you know.

BocoDragon

Perhaps I should have specifically singled out touch controls.

Regardless, not worth getting a controller for just two games that I've already played to death.

We've all played Sonic to death, but I like having a definitive version in my pocket at all times.

Daffy Duck

Best sonic

Too true.

I nearly had a heart attack at just watching those special stages on touch screen controls.

Give me a console version of these remastered any day.

liquidtmd

Banned

But maybe there are some developments lately that lead you to say that?

I say it in context that Taxman is even having to make this proof of concept to persuade Sega.

For the amount of effot it takes on their part, and after being responsible for the best ports of any Sega game ever, they should be beating down his door (or more rationally have approached him post Sonic 2 rerelease and had at least a conversation)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Is there a reason why Sonic 3 and Sonic and knuckles was never released on PSN/LIVE?

Ein Bear

The fact that Taxman's amazing, definitive ports of the Mega Drive Sonic games are only available on mobile phones makes me want to weep. Having Sonic in my pocket is cool and all, but touch controls for 2D platformers are universally terrible.

SegaShack

My favorite game :). I grew up playing these on the PC when I was just 5 or 6 years old, they really got me into video games. In terms of quality it is insane and in my eyes it is perfection in every way.

I have a Model 1 Genesis and RGB cable as well as a PVM monitor, so the originals look insanely good to me. Genesis emulation is usually poorly done, even on official releases. Play the originals on real hardware folks, trust me.

By the way, on Sonic Retro it has been confirmed from various members of the audio team that worked on the game that there have been lawsuits going on over the years about their work on this game and that it was why no soundtrack was released in 2011 (when other anniversary soundtracks came out) and why the game isn't on XBL or PSN. As for the specifics of the lawsuit, they weren't allowed to talk about it.

Until these suits are cleared up we won't see much of Sonic 3 and Knuckles again.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
More proof of Sega simply not having the money to fund a surefire selling product made by like... two guys. I wonder at just what level of skeleton crew the western Sega is these days.

Tizoc

More proof of Sega simply not having the money to fund a surefire selling product made by like... two guys. I wonder at just what level of skeleton crew the western Sega is these days.

They have money.
They have lots of money.
Their Pachinko sales are huge.
They just need to be nudged into actually DOING IT.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
They have money.
They have lots of money.
Their Pachinko sales are huge.
They just need to be nudged into actually DOING IT.

Sega Japan is fine, yknow yeah, they continue to make a fair chunk of stuff. They also have the Japanese arm that does their Sega Classics on 3DS.

Western Sega got the money for Sonic Boom, and thats it. Very little autonomy on creating projects anymore other than publishing Aliens games, and even then, I wonder what tight purse strings were in play for those. If Sonic Boom bombs, then thats even less money they'll be given ever again.

Tizoc

Sega Japan is fine, yknow yeah, they continue to make a fair chunk of stuff. They also have the Japanese arm that does their Sega Classics on 3DS.

Western Sega got the money for Sonic Boom, and thats it. Very little autonomy on creating projects anymore other than publishing Aliens games, and even then, I wonder what tight purse strings were in play for those. If Sonic Boom bombs, then thats even less money they'll be given ever again.

Looking at it from another point of view, there are various Japanese games SEGA's released but with no western/english release. Like Tetris vs. Puyo Puyo and even the Shining games they've released over the past few years.
It's like SEGA Japan is just holding back.

Pie and Beans

Looking at it from another point of view, there are various Japanese games SEGA's released but with no western/english release. Like Tetris vs. Puyo Puyo and even the Shining games they've released over the past few years.
It's like SEGA Japan is just holding back.

Oh yeah, make no mistake, its the japanese arm purposely not giving the western one much in the way of funding. The war between east and west didnt end when shit went multi-platform. Failing to even get something like PSO2 out in the west has got to be a big black mark in and of itself. Then you point to all the funded Chinese translated versions of stuff now, and its easy to believe Sega Japan would be happy if Sega West disappeared entirely.

Shojx

They way it cuts off at the end right before the transition to Hydrocity Zone leaves you wanting more! It'd be awesome if this became more than just a proof of concept. I'd love a widescreen fix of my favorite Sonic titles.

Wow, somehow I didn't realize the tracks were different for some of the levels in the PC version, even though I also bought that version many years ago. After looking at it on Youtube, I definitely remember the different tracks now, and I remember back when I first played it on PC I had thought it was strange that the tracks were different (and not as good) for some levels. I'd like to say the "Jackson" tracks would be a non-issue, because I'm under the impression that Micheal Jackson didn't want his name officially involved due to disliking how his music sounded through the Genesis (ahah, come now), so the tracks he was involved with were either changed or left alone with him being uncredited. I love the original soundtrack so I hope they'd leave it unchanged.

Top Bottom