• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Protests over July 3rd BART shooting shut down Civic Center station... Ongoing

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
wkUaL.jpg

Protests Over BART Shooting Shut Down Civic Center Station During Evening Commute

Original Post:
"Station is closed. Trains are not stopping."
That update comes just moments ago from SF Weekly's Caroline Chen, who is tracking events for us at the Civic Center BART Station, where 100 or so protesters have succeeded in their mission to disrupt the evening commute. They are attempting to send a strong message to BART police over the recent shooting where two officers killed 45-year-old Charles Hill on July 3.

At 5:20 p.m. Chen reported that the Civic Center station has been shut down. Chen estimates that 100 protesters -- chanting "No justice! No peace! Disband the BART police" -- had assembled on the Civic Center train platform. There they were met by BART security officers, two or so at every train door.

At 5:13 p.m., about 20 protesters boarded a train as slowly as they could. As they chanted, they distributed fliers calling for the disbandment of BART police. Chen reported, "Train is held up. Protesters are shouting 'murders! cops! pigs!'"

Security followed them onto the train, causing a delay of about six minutes. Chen describes "a 12-person tactical security team" has responded and has taken to the platform with "batons, helmets, and shields."

Then things got worse. Chen reports, "One guy jumped on the side of the BART train to get on top. The security guards dragged him off, and then protesters were jamming into the doors for the next five minutes. Security shut down the station, but the protesters who got on the train went to the next station, and the ones who didn't are walking to Powell."
Now, the station is closed until the 100 or so protesters disperse. Chen reports they are now headed to Powell Street to try to disrupt service there. She says, "I'm walking to Powell now with lots of pissed-off commuters."

There, commuters who walked from Civic Center are encountering another hang-up: Many didn't swipe their BART tickets out when exiting, and now the Powell employees are having to deal with each of them individually.

Updated, 5:53 p.m.:

SF Weekly's Caroline Chen reports that the Powell station is now not allowing commuters to enter. "It's exit-only now. Because Civic Center is closed, everybody flooded over to Powell, and the platforms are so crowded that the station is not letting anyone else in. The protesters aren't chanting, but there's a lot of pissed-off people."

​Updated, 6:16 p.m.:
At Powell station, a hundred or so protesters are now chanting "pigs" and "murderers" at SFPD riot police and BART police assembled on the train platform. SF Weekly's Caroline Chen reports seeing officers from both the SFPD and BART.

Updated: 6:33 p.m.:
The protesters have moved on to 16th Street Mission station. There, SF Weekly's Caroline Chen reports, about 60 of them are distributing leaflets and chanting "We are all Charles Hill." Station announcements are telling commuters that trains will not be stopping. Some don't; some do.

Update: 6:35 p.m.:
16th Street BART station is closed and protesters are leaving. They are marching down Mission, knocking over trash cans and blocking traffic. There's a small group of BART police trailing the protesters.

Update 6:51 p.m.
Protesters are walking down Market Street and Van Ness Avenue with seven SFPD motorcycles trailing them. They are occasionally shouting "murderers," in an attempt to keep the momentum going. Although it appears they are just getting a little tired and quite frankly so are we. Good luck getting home!

I've been getting sporadic texts from friends asking if I'm down there (skipped class to work, like a responsible adult...) and it's still goin' on and getting worse.

This was the original story of 45 year old Charles Hill who was shot on July 3rd.

Charles Hill Identified as Man Shot by BART Cops

Medical authorities say Charles Hill, 45, was the man who was shot to death over the weekend by BART police.

Hill "had no fixed address," according to the San Francisco Medical Examiner's Office. BART police shot Hill at the Civic Center BART station after getting calls about an apparently drunk man wobbling throughout the station.

A "confrontation" occurred between the officers and Hill, which led to the fatal shooting, according to BART.

While BART Chief Kenton Rainey has defended the shooting, saying Hill was armed with a knife and using his alcohol bottle as a weapon, witnesses have told reporters a much different story.

The Bay Citizen reported yesterday that a witness told the newspaper that Hill, who was wearing a tie-dyed T-shirt and army fatigues, wasn't running or "lunging" at the cops. In other words, the shooting didn't seem justified. Rainey said that the officer did have a Taser, but chose not to use it for reasons he cannot yet explain. However, he has said he feels "comfortable" with the way the officers reacted.

BART Deputy Police Chief Daniel Hartwig told reporters last night that the agency might release video surveillance of the shooting as long as it doesn't interfere with the investigation.

Both officers have been placed on administrative leave while the agency and the District Attorney's Office investigates.

Any fellow Bay Area gaffer's stuck at work or at the train stations still?

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
First thing that popped to my mind is comparisons to the hackers taking PSN down for everyone else. Protesters who pull these annoying stunts are idiots - take your self righteous indignation elsewhere, the rest of the world doesn't give a shit.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Vilam said:
First thing that popped to my mind is comparisons to the hackers taking PSN down for everyone else. Protesters who pull these annoying stunts are idiots - take your self righteous indignation elsewhere, the rest of the world doesn't give a shit.

Yes because BART officers should LITERALLY get away with murder because of your commute.

Al-ibn Kermit said:
Seems counter-productive to their goals and obviously it's pretty gray area whether the shooting was justified or not.
Seems like the gray area has popped up a few times this year and the protesters don't think it's that gray.

I was on my way home from work and got to Montgomery station just as they were announcing huge delays to the East Bay. Promptly went to Japantown instead (was planning to but didn't really feel like it initially) and hung out for half a hour.

I'm now on a Dublin train headed home (just stopped at Oakland Coliseum and now in San Leandro).

Vilam said:

Havens forbid justice and rights get in the way of your commute home.

You should move to DPRK, where you can live in peace and not have to deal with all aspects of a democracy, like protests.

wenis

Update 7:14 p.m.
Web editor Jake Swearingen checking in. From BART Police and Fire radio scanner chatter, it sounds like protestors are attempting to block off 4th and Market. Entry gates are closed at Powell, trains will be emptied there. Civic Center station will also not allow passengers in. BART will offload trains at these stations, but no commuters will be allowed in. SFPD is still trailing the group of protestors.

Update.

Vilam said:
PSN Hacking....Fatal Shooting.

YEP SAME THING.

quaere

jamesinclair said:
Havens forbid justice and rights get in the way of your commute home.

You should move to DPRK, where you can live in peace and not have to deal with all aspects of a democracy, like protests.
It's been a week since the shooting. Justice is in progress, through an investigation. These protesters don't care about justice, they just want another excuse to cause a public disruption.

Holy crap at the latest update! I almost decided to stop in the mall to get something to drink but decided to wait for my train instead.

Sounds like I chose the right time to head home. Had I stayed and chilled in the mall, I'd probably be in the city still.

Tarazet

I'm glad these guys are doing it the peaceful way, merely inconveniencing people rather than burning shit down. I'll be coming into the city Wednesday night though and I hope I don't have to drive.

aswedc said:
It's been a week since the shooting. Justice is in progress, through an investigation. These protesters don't care about justice, they just want another excuse to cause a public disruption.
When has a investigation = justice? Just because someone is being investigated doesn't mean anything will be done. What motive do they have to cause a "public disruption" outside or raising awareness to this incident? It worked because I had never heard of this before now. And when did Americans lose their right to protest????

quaere

MWS Natural said:
When has a investigation = justice? Just because someone is being investigated doesn't mean anything will be done. What motive do they have to cause a "public disruption" outside or raising awareness to this incident? It worked because I had never heard of this before now. And when did Americans lose their right to protest????
An investigation might not lead to justice = assume the police are guilty of murder? Does not make sense.

aswedc said:
An investigation might not lead to justice = assume the police are guilty of murder? Does not make sense.
You are making the assumption that an investigation = justice. I just pointed out many times that is not the case. Regardless Americans have the right to protest. If they went out there for no reason simply to cause trouble I would agree with you. But they are there to raise awareness of their cause. Which, in my case, worked.

wenis

Updates

Update 7:51 p.m.
A picture of riot police at the cable car turnaround at 4th and Market, courtesy of Eric C. of Transbay Blog. Cable cars are currently not operating between Market and Washington, due to protestors. Radio scanner chatter is requesting tactical units remain in place for "next little while."

Update 8:03 p.m.
Seems like protestors are leaving the cable car turnaround area. Powell St. station remains closed, but -- knock on wood! -- things seem to be finally winding down. We'll sign off for the evening. Hope everyone gets home safe.

aswedc said:
Police murdering people in America are almost always faced with such harsh justice as paid vacations and promotions.

Even the BART officer that murdered a defenseless man who was pinned down and was caught on video doing it got like a year in jail.

the chris

Lazy vs Crazy said:
Police murdering people in America are almost always faced with such harsh justice as paid vacations and promotions.

Even the BART officer that murdered a defenseless man who was pinned down and was caught on video doing it got like a year in jail.
I know right, all those police officers have a murder quota of minorities and innocent people they have to kill by the end of the month.

see5harp

Vilam said:

Good one man.

MC Safety

I would love to see the protestors get what they want: The dissolution of the BART police.

Then, they can ride BART with no fear whatsoever.

None.

the chris

MC Safety said:
I would love to see the protestors get what they want: The dissolution of the BART police.

Then, they can ride BART with no fear whatsoever.

None.
You really can't blame them for being upset, this is the second highly suspect shooting by BART police in recent memory. It is better behavior though than when there was looting and general property damage during the last shooting.

Soma

That's pretty crazy. I almost wish I was in town so I could watch it unfold.

Sucks for the people trying to get to their destination though :/

Piggus

Wow... My girlfriend and I were just in SF for a few days and stayed near the Civic Center last night. Good thing we got out of there before this all started. :/

I really dislike these kinds of protest. There's definitely a reason to be upset but insulting officers that weren't involved as well as disrupting innocent people's commutes doesn't really send the right message.

Al-ibn Kermit

BobTheFork said:
Seems like the gray area has popped up a few times this year and the protesters don't think it's that gray.

There were other shootings in Bart stations recently? I'm sure the fact that this was a BART police officer is what makes people expect less lethal force as they probably don't deal with a lot of hardened criminals.

In this case, it seems the guy definitely had a knife out but the question is whether he was trying to use it. Apparently one of the officers had minor cuts so I have a hard time understanding how these protesters can think in such black and white terms unless all the 35-40 eyewitnesses give a different story than the cops.

MWS Natural said:

You need to investigate before you can put the guy on trial. The prosecution can't charge him and then take their time gathering evidence, they have to be ready to go to trial the second they press charges. I don't know for sure if Charles Hill deserved to be shot rather than just tased and I don't even know if he was trying to attack the officers, but I don't see the point in protesting at this time. It just seems premature as there hasn't even been an investigation much less a trial with a verdict.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
LuchaShaq said:
Yes because BART officers should LITERALLY get away with murder because of your commute.

Want something worth protesting with BART police? That they let all the filthy panhandling bums hang around and live in the stations. Powell St station always smells like a sewer.

Whatever - people have the right to protest, they don't have the right to cause a public disturbance.

Why do transit police have guns anyway?

They should at most have a taser, and even that is a stretch. If they really need armed officers, they could just use city police or do like Europe and have a specific weapons group.

wenis

fudgey_lumpkins said:
Why do transit police have guns anyway?

They should at most have a taser, and even that is a stretch. If they really need armed officers, they could just use city police or do like Europe and have a specific weapons group.

the video up above wasn't transit, it was SFPD. They occasionally ride the buses, but only in hot spot zones. The "transit police" are usually armed with just mace and a tazer if you've gone through the proper training.

as for that video.... it's just going to get worse before it gets better.

Gaborn

Vilam said:
Want something worth protesting with BART police? That they let all the filthy panhandling bums hang around and live in the stations. Powell St station always smells like a sewer.

Whatever - people have the right to protest, they don't have the right to cause a public disturbance.

Yup. I strongly support the right to protest. I think it sounds like the BART cops acted stupidly. That doesn't give anyone the right to then take it out on other people. The average person had nothing to do with it and punishing them to try to make your point which seems legitimate just makes you an unsympathetic figure and ultimately hurts your cause.

Ex:2

mre said:
So did he have a gun or not?
I don't know... the story is that he did fire at the cops, a bystander took the gun and supposedly on another video that person was caught taking the gun and then was arrested afterwards with said gun.

It's a sad situation out there.

Dead Man

MWS Natural said:
When it inconvenienced a Gaffer.

wenis

Dead Man said:
When it inconvenienced a Gaffer.

I hope that wasn't in reference to me...I wasn't even out that day, just saw the SFgate tweet and made a thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom