• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prototype 2 - E3 Trailer

E3 Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llBLN9bXb3I

Developer Interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT3Ni6rTMVY

un6A0.jpg

HWFBM.jpg

eoQGR.jpg

uA9Cg.jpg

TVO7h.jpg

bA3cU.jpg

t5E6o.jpg

720p shots

Do you like role reversals?

Alex Mercer, the protagonist from Prototype, is now the bad guy. He has taken control of a large chunk of Manhattan where he rules over the mutants with a mutated fist. Stepping into the role of anti-hero this time is Sergeant James Heller, a soldier tormented by the death of his family. The developers of Prototype 2 liken Heller to Mel Gibson's suicidal Riggs character in the first Lethal Weapon.

Heller is aware of Mercer and blames the mutant for the death of his family. When the two meet, Mercer sees potential in this tortured soldier and "turns" him, granting him the powers players enjoyed in the first game. And so begins Heller's long quest to hunt down Mercer and get his revenge -- but Mercer has plans of his own...

Do looks matter to you?

Because Prototype 2 is graphically superior to the first game. I saw both games running side-by-side and the difference is striking. Buildings are much more detailed, making for a city that doesn't look like cookie-cutter tract housing. In many areas, the Blacklight virus is so dense that it scales skyscraper walls like pulsing vines.

Vehicles show more realistic damage now. You won't just punch a tank until it explodes – with each hit it reveals more and more dents. Deformation is localized to the exact point of contact and parts of vehicles can be ripped off and used as weapons. It's pretty badass to tear a rocket launcher off of a tank, leap 50 feet into the air, and fire it down on its previous host.

Do you want to rip people apart with your tendrils?

In Prototype 2, you can.

But what are tendrils, you ask? A tendril is a slim, winding piece of something. In this case, they are the parts of Heller's body he can extend and use as extra limbs (because he's a freak). The first game had lots of tendril play, but now you can use them to connect people's arms and legs to different nearby objects. The tendrils then constrict, pulling the person in every which bloody way. It's an exciting new way to draw and quarter people. There is also a fun tendril finisher that lets you tear your victim in half lengthwise.

You can now have more fun torturing the monsters of Manhattan. Instead of just punching them until they fall over, you can dismember and distorso the beasts. Be careful, though -- certain enemies become more dangerous without their limbs. One monster turns into a crawling landmine after you sever its legs.

Finally, a new ability called the Bio Bomb allows you to plant an organic explosive device under the skin of a victim. If they wander into a crowd or if poor souls come to help, they'll all be taken out by the explosion.

Do you like taking orders from your sister and ex-girlfriend?

If you answered "yes," Prototype 2 might not be for you. The first game doled out missions by having Alex Mercer check in with the ladies in his life to see what he should do next. For an experience that is supposed to empower the player and make them feel like an invincible badass, this might not be the best method.

Prototype 2 uses a system called Blacknet to assign missions to players. Blacknet is a network used by Blackwatch, the shadowy military organization trying to contain the viral outbreak in Manhattan. Heller taps in to the system and uses the information to decide his next move.

Do you like giant monsters?

Prototype 2 has them. Whereas the enemies in the first game were mostly around the same size as the player, I've seen at least one giant in the sequel that stands several stories tall.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1172545p1.html

Looks surprisingly good. :)

ultron87

That human tentacle bomb thing was really cool looking.

So Heller is Mercer's character design, but black and with his hood down?

Incredibly creative there.

watership

yencid said:
E3 definitely started early this year

Everyone who's not MS, SONY and N wants to get some spotlight before the conferences.

Speaking of Prototype, I enjoyed the first game even if I found the city and some missions to get redundant towards the end. The Trailer is slow mo and I sorta hate that. It never shows how the game really runs or behaves. It's edited well, and sets up the tone. I'll see how the game really plays before I say it's looking good yet.

Astery

inception horn is in every god damn trailer.
Enjoyed 1's combat a lot, 2 looking even better with a potentially interesting storyline. Hype increases!

Lakitu

st5fu
I enjoyed the first game. It wasn't polished at all and it got very boring at times, but it was pretty good. This looks significantly better anyway.

JDSN

Banned
Just like Batman created ominous trailer music, Inception created horns, gotta love Nolan fans.

Looking pretty cool. Had some great fun with the first even though it got repetitive.

Did Mercer turn evil at the end of the first Prototype? I got towards the end but never actually finished it.

XeroSauce

Lakitu said:
I enjoyed the first game. It wasn't polished at all and it got very boring at times, but it was pretty good. This looks significantly better anyway.

While the plot was pretty thin, you just felt great running up walls and triple jumping everywhere. The game was at it's best when it was freeform, I'm hoping they expand on that.

Marleyman

Banned
I went into the first one with high expectations and left feeling like I wasted my time and money. It had potential but was highly flawed. I would give this another go by the looks of it though.

Angry Fork

JDSN said:
Just like Batman created ominous trailer music, Inception created horns, gotta love Nolan fans.
Nobody suggests they 'created' those things, but Batman/Inception are extremely popular and it's obvious when trailers copy those styles. Has nothing to do with being a Nolan fan. I do think calling this trailer Inception-stealing is straw grabbing though, it has a horn but that's it. Battlefield 3 is the most obvious one.

Salsa

never finished the first one

i'll give it another go at a Steam sale. The game was kinda frustrating to be honest. Hope this one's better.

Koralsky

Wow, this game looks quite ugly - terrible art, terrible blood effects and dull colors. Just like the first game...

I liked the first one, and am cautiously optimistic about this one. It's Activision, so I'm a little worried, but it definitely looks cool and looks like it keeps the same atmosphere. Not Day 1 yet, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Dacon

Banned
I know it makes sense because he's a soldier, but would it kill developers to have an African American with hair, that isn't a bald fade or an afro?

Anyway, looks interesting. I will wait to see if they fixed the clusterfuck issues in the first game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Dacon said:
I know it makes sense because he's a soldier, but would it kill developers to have an African American with hair, that isn't a bald fade or an afro?

Anyway, looks interesting. I will wait to see if they fixed the clusterfuck issues in the first game.
Really? Out of all the things to criticize you pick the haircut?

Dacon said:

google black actors 99% of them have the bald or faded hair style lol. obama has the faded style too.

i might give this game a rent.

ArjanN

bigboss370 said:
google black actors 99% of them have the bald or faded hair style lol. obama has the faded style too.

In games it's mostly done because hair is hard to animate. Doesn't really seem like a black/white thing to me.

Prototype 2 is day 1 for me, I loved the first game despite it's flaws.

I'm looking forward to this. The first game was lots of fun until the ridiculous bosses and missions stuffed with tanks, helicopters, soldiers, and half a dozen big 4 legged running monsters.

Warm Machine said:
That horn is pre-Inception.
Actually that specific horn was made and used just for Inception and was destroyed afterwards so as not to be used in anything else.
You've probably never heard of it.

Love,
Hipster D-Bag

In the minority about caring for the plot but this makes very little sense. Mercer is literally an engine of sheer destruction...I'm going to stop.
So much for pariah

I liked the first, but it wasn't that great, especially storywise. I might pick this up when it's cheaper.

The part where Heller faces Mercer looks more interesting than all other gameplay segments in the trailer combined. :lol

Shapingo

So is Heller going to kill a soldier that some else will take revenge on him for in the 3rd game, because it looks like he is killing a lot of soldiers in that trailer unless those helicopters are piloted by robots. Maybe that is the plan that Alex Mercer has.

It looks really good though.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Urban Scholar said:
Somewhat agree, perpetual hoodie look was cool.

Doubtful, it's a revenge game and he's the target.

He'll probably be an unlockable playable character.

Dacon

Banned
bigboss370 said:

i might give this game a rent.

What the hell do actors have to do with anything? I'm black and I have hair. There's no excuse that's acceptable beyond the context I've already mentioned.

Top Bottom