• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Plus Extra and Premium August games announced

Esca

Uno and monopoly will make the nephews happy.
No classics is bs though. They have a ton of their own games they can put on the damn service t

Last edited:

Skifi28

mYxOaKT.jpg

Aranea

Man i want them to improve the classics catalogue. They could do much better than that by porting more classic games to this service. I wouldn't mind Resident Evil 2, 3 being added.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Pretty disappointing and laughable if they're actually attempting to compete with Gamepass. Where's Killzone 1, 2, and 3? Where's Resistance 1, 2, and 3. Where are the games people actually want but can't easily play these days?

Fox Mulder

Pretty disappointing and laughable if they're actually attempting to compete with Gamepass. Where's Killzone 1, 2, and 3? Where's Resistance 1, 2, and 3. Where are the games people actually want but can't easily play these days?

Already looks like they’re going to trickle out their own game library months apart and not bother licensing much new. Looks pretty shit when MS ended their BC program because they ran out of games they could do with legal, licensing, or technical reasons.

Last edited:
I like both services. Gamepass better this month for me, but both ebb and flow.

No one seems to realize there are very few new games to add to the services at the moment that would satisfy everyone. Post covid dry spell really biting.

Sony should be adding things like Sackboy, MS can’t do that as all their stuff is already on Gamepass.

engstra

No new additions to Premium is pretty disappointing. Other than that a pretty solid month, although I do hope they'll add more smaller games to the service and not only these really big games

I’m kind of hoping they’ve got a seperate premium post today, detailing some of the new classics and game trials coming to the service.

Lasha

Wtf, I just bought both Yakuza Kiwanis off Amazon a couple days ago. Should I just stop buying games and indulge in the feeding trough that are game subscription services?
I seldom buy games anymore because I can usually expect a title to be heavily discounted or on a subscription service by the time I get around to playing it. Or Epic hands it out for free.

Meh month to be honest. But base Ps+ was fantastic so not complaining.

Regular ps+ games can only be claimed during the month they are free. Meaning that anyone who didn't own a Ps5 during its launch month, which at this point is the vast majority of Ps5 owners, didn't get "free" access to it
I didn‘t have a PS5 but added Bugsnax with the PS app to my catalogue.

As always, Sony keeps disappointing me.

I wonder, how can they basically fuck up everything they‘re doing this gen? With PSnow and PSplus there were far more retro games available, then they „combined“ both services and suddenly a lot of titles that were in PSnow are now gone. Like how is it even possible to disappoint every single time they‘re trying to do us a favor?

Last edited:

Three

Gold Member
A trial of metro exodus is a big get.... okay then.
On the plus side if you decide you'd like the own it and playthrough the game, it frequently drops to £8 with all expansions every other week.
What on earth makes you think it's a trial? It doesn't state it's a trial, it's the full game.

Doing the math on "up to 340" classics​

But so far, PlayStation Plus doesn't feel representative of that original classics-library target, and a Wednesday blog post suggests Sony is dragging its feet.

PlayStation Plus's latest blog post confirmed that 11 games would land on the service's premium and "extra" tiers in August. While this list includes three solid games from Sega's Yakuza series, and the quirky likes of modern indie Bugsnax and classic RPG remake Trials of Mana, it doesn't include games from any Sony console library outside PS4 and PS5. That follows a July addition of only three "classic" games, all from the PSP, to PS Plus.

As a reminder, PS Plus' classics selection launched in June with 27 games from the trio of aforementioned systems: 11 for PS1, 24 for PS2, and two for PSP. Two months later, we're up to 30 conversions of those consoles' original versions. And now that we've done the math, we're concerned that those libraries won't get much bigger unless Sony revises its advertising.

Sony tells PlayStation Plus Premium subscribers that its classics will grow to "up to 340" games, but this number includes titles that had already been on the PlayStation Now streaming service, which revolves almost exclusively around PlayStation 3 games. North American PS Plus Premium subscribers can access 294 PS3 games (though about five of these are iterative updates or DLC packages). Add 30 to that number, and you're left with 16 possible additions.

Sony has yet to emulate PS3 games on native PS5 or PS4 hardware, so these have to be streamed from the cloud. That differs largely from the service's PS1, PS2, and PSP games, which can be downloaded and natively rendered without any cloud-induced issues with latency or pixel fidelity. Thus, some modern console owners eager to play classic games may see Sony's current total of "324" classics as misleading, so long as their home Internet connection or data cap proves prohibitive.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
No one seems to realize there are very few new games to add to the services at the moment that would satisfy everyone. Post covid dry spell really biting.

Sony should be adding things like Sackboy, MS can’t do that as all their stuff is already on Gamepass.
They over 4,000 PS2, over 3000 PS1 and 807 PSP games to choose from.
This month they chose to release ZERO.
even with licensing issues they would still have hundreds and thousands to pick from.

RAIDEN1

What totally surprised me about PS Plus/PSN recently is that I have no way of getting into Virtua Fighter when before at the beginning it was a free download, with additional paid extras you can't even play it now until you are a PAID PSN user which is a bit dumb, as you are only really interested in the single player experience anyway, not until you think you are at a good enough level would you look to take on an online opponent.. even the editions on the PS3 and 360 didn't have that "locked" feature...

even with licensing issues they would still have hundreds and thousands to pick from.
I hear that, I do (I have the top tier so it would be nice) but I did say ‘new games’ just to be clear.

Reactions: TGO
It's not like the PSOne games from 1996 would make people choose PSPlus and not Gamepass, lmao.
The marketing of PS+ focuses mostly on rather current games. Also Spiderman, GoW, AC Valhalla, Guardians, Tsushima etc. are listed in the all games category first, and only following those the alphabetical order was used. Sony certainly knows that day one would be best, but they won't get rid of their income model, so bestsellers is the next best thing. They will remix the PS4, 3, 2 to 1 ratio if numbers require it. But I doubt streams and actual classics, 3 2 1, will move the needle and it is kind of weird that so many expect a specific old game, sometimes games that did not even get attention when they were new, on the service. PS4 stuff is now the main ingredient in those 700 games. Wanting more classics is in exact opposition to the day one prayers.
They could have chained at least Yakuza 1 and 2 to the Premium tier. Those are PS2 games/remakes after all? This classic / remaster division was from the start not very clever/intuitive. Adding all Yakuzas to Extra might already indicate that Premium in that form might be abandoned or reworked soon. Imho keeping Now would have been better. Just add a catalogue of games with Extra and keep Now instead of new Premium as the clearly separate classic / remaster / stream service. Now it's mixed and everyone expects everything. Although this nagging noise might not even be close to the average customers' satisfaction. Some details are stupid for me too, but the value is crazy.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Where. Are. The. Classics? Once my Premium sub is up in October I think I'll be sticking to Extra, Playstation is giving me zero reason to stay subscribed to the highest tier, this should be incredibly easy, give us PS1 and PS2 classics with trophy support, that's it.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
They should just absorb the Classics into the Extra tier if they're not gonna bother.

Reactions: Fbh

SkylineRKR

Yeah at this point just kill Premium and push Extra harder.

I only have premium because of a 12 month Now voucher (which was about the same price as a year of Plus). But small chance i'm going to extend it next year when I have to pay full whack. Premium sucks. I mostly use the stuff from Extra.

Current games PSPlus is doing actually really good though.
It's not like the PSOne games from 1996 would make people choose PSPlus and not Gamepass, lmao.
That is exactly the problem, Sony does this stuff because they can get away with it, it's close to unbelievable how poorly they handle this stuff.

How can a company this big not have a plan that would ensure that three months after it was introduced the highest tier of the service would have at least some new additions? It doesn't even make sense.

Last edited:
That is exactly the problem, Sony does this stuff because they can get away with it, it's close to unbelievable how poorly they handle this stuff.

How can a company this big not have a plan that would ensure that at least three months after it was introduced the highest tier of the service would have at least some new aditions?
Honestly? I don't think this was supposed to happen. Last month Italy's blog had Dino Crisis and others.

I think they are reworking some stuff due to licences and the NTSC/PAL stuff they mentioned when this started.

It's clear they have games ready to release at this point, it's just a matter of when.

Honestly? I don't think this was supposed to happen. Last month Italy's blog had Dino Crisis and others.

I think they are reworking some stuff due to licences and the NTSC/PAL stuff they mentioned when this started.

It's clear they have games ready to release at this point, it's just a matter of when.
They had years and years to work on licenses not to mention that they have plenty of Sony games they could include in the service. It just come off as them not caring at all.

They have a hard time getting the license for the PS2 versions of God of War 1 & 2? Doesn't make any sense.

The catalog of classics has been mishandled multiple times at this point, it's like they make no effort to improve.

Last edited:

Three

Gold Member
They had years and years to work on licenses not to mention that they have plenty of Sony games they could include in the service. It just come off as them not caring at all.

The catalog of classics has been mishandled multiple times at this point, it's like they make no effort to improve.

They have a hard time getting the license for the PS2 versions of God of War 1 & 2? Doesn't make any sense.
I suspect its because most people were upgraded to premium anyway and it saw little revenue gain. I bet they wait until they make premium that much more attractive than extra. I'm on premium anyway due to the free upgrade.

Last edited:
I suspect its because most people were upgraded to premium anyway and it saw little revenue gain. I bet they wait until they make premium that much more attractive than extra. I'm on premium anyway due to the free upgrade.
So they'll be doing less than the bare minimum? That's a really weird way to get a service going, I know for sure that I'm never going above Extra unless things dramatically change and even then I'll be very cautious because apparently they don't give a shit about it once people already paid.

What doesn't make sense it that they are actually doing really well with Essentials and Extra, then dropping the ball on what should be the easier tier. A few classic games each month wouldn't cost them much at all (specially considering that plenty of their own games have not being included yet).

Also, as always, terrible communication about what people should expect or about why we have a month like this. So far paying far going above Extra was a big mistake.

Last edited:
Most people were certainly not upgraded anyway, since only Now members were "forced" to that tier, and those were certainly not in the same millions as PS+. Now was abandoned because it never took off and confused people, or whatever. All PS+ members could freely choose and decline any change.
I have made a list of games that interest me and ~80 are accessible via Extra and ~50 via Premium, so choosing Premium was a no brainer for me. If other people have close to zero interesting games via Premium of course they shouldn't (continue to) subscribe to it, but for the extra penny it offers more than enough games for its cost. 10+ were added after the relaunch, in Extra. But since I most likely will not have time for all of those initial 50 anytime soon and expecting at least some new titles in coming months, I most probably will continue to see value in Premium. Even only the 50 games themselves are worth the whole fee for me, so extra is the extra if viewed that way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom