• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Plus line up for January 2016

RhyDin

Does Grim Fandango suffer the same flaws as the PC port of Back To The Future anniverary edition? IE, random graphical anomalies, dialogue cutting off prematurely when using action button on things that don't work with that item.

Sort of afraid of adventure games on console now because of my experience with that.

Matush

PSP game, one of the worst 'AAA' FPS of last gen and 5 year old PS3 poorly optimised RPG? They have to be kidding me. Couldn't care less about Hardware or another adventure game. Very poor selection. (for my taste)

giphy.gif

sn00zer

Love the "This games are crap Im never going to play them" ....
How do you know they are bad why dont you just try them out?

Grim Fandango is one of the best written games of all time. The dialog is incredible. It blows my mind that people aren't willing to try because it's "just another adventure game".

I don't want to try it because I loathe difficult puzzle games. Simplistic puzzles are OK, but am just not a puzzle guy. Lucky for me like 60% of all PS+ games have them ;)

Origins is one of the best games of all time.

That is going a bit far, but it is a high quality game...on PC.

On PS3 with that forced camera? Meh. It'll just remind people that it ultimately leads us to Inquisitions.

Hardware rivals might be "amazing" and I still know I'm never going to play it...rocket league style.

Camwi

Never heard of Hardware: Rivals or Nihilumbra. Already played Grim Fandango ages ago but happy to play it again remastered. No time or desire to replay Dragon Age. No interest in Medal of Honor. And I really wish they'd stop giving us friggin' PSP games, even if they can be played on the Vita.

cheezcake

It's less that they're crap and more that it's not what works on PS+. All these random smaller downloadable titles already have a low barrier of entry in terms of cost, hell Grim Fandango has regularly gone on sale for less than $5, it's $3 right now on Steam. Decembers PS+ games for PS4 are currently $8 and $1 on steam, November's are $6 and $6.25 etc. If i'm interested in these games I would just buy them because they're so damn cheap every time they go on sale. It would be nice if PS+ offered older retail games purely because I'm not paying $20-40 to try a game I might like, whereas I'm pretty okay with spending less than $10 on that chance.

Storm360

I don't believe "the PS4 doesn't have a library yet" to be a valid excuse for the awful PS3 and Vita months.

Giving us the PSP version of a game too when a vita version exists is insulting.

CHC

I like how they're not even giving good PSP games either. Something like Tactics Ogre, Persona 3 FES, or Final Fantasy Tactics could have been respectable giveaways.

This is the first time that I already own the game I'd be interested in for the month (Grim Fandango). I don't mind however, as I waited more than a decade to play that game again, and anyone who enjoys adventure games and hasn't picked it up yet will hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

While the puzzles in the game are as maddening as classic adventure games got, the dialogue and voice work in the game is top notch. Great characters, great setting, and certainly an adventure game that I'd recommend to any fan of the genre.

That PSP Legends of War Patton game wasn't even released on the Australian PSN, and there's no word if we'll get a replacement game. 10/10 SCEE good job.

autoduelist

It's less that they're crap and more that it's not what works on PS+. All these random smaller downloadable titles already have a low barrier of entry in terms of cost, hell Grim Fandango has regularly gone on sale for less than $5, it's $3 right now on Steam. Decembers PS+ games for PS4 are currently $8 and $1 on steam, November's are $6 and $6.25 etc. If i'm interested in these games I would just buy them because they're so damn cheap every time they go on sale. It would be nice if PS+ offered older retail games purely because I'm not paying $20-40 to try a game I might like, whereas I'm pretty okay with spending less than $10 on that chance.

You do understand Sony has a budget when trying to acquire games for ps+ right? We're paying, what, $4 and change a month per person, and they need to acquire 6 games as well as support infrastructure and turn a profit.

Think about that -- they need to spread $4 of your money across 6 games... while turning a profit. So expecting to get games that would currently cost you that $20-40 just to try seems a bit wild, right? I mean, $40 is almost the entire year's sub price!

Speaking on my behalf, it's not about the offering of smaller titles, i still would love them to be on the service, but what about both? Balance these offerings so we can have both "smaller" games and AAA.

'Balance' makes no sense.
They can't just wave a magic wand and 'balance' it.

Let's say you go out to eat 10 times. Usually it's cheap, but 1 out of those ten is a fancy expensive dinner. You can't just decide to 'balance' it and do 5 cheap meals and 5 expensive meals without completely destroying your budget.

Likewise, Sony can't just decide to randomly 'balance' smaller games and expensive AAA games. They have a budget, just like you do.

Yeah weak month for me. I dont have a ps3 or vita so those games are out. I dont really care for Grim Fandango, as I am not much into adventure games. Hardware looks okay but ill pass. Yeah I dont bother to look to see what the PS+ games are anymore which is sad because the service was great and it seemed to get weaker.

cheezcake

You do understand Sony has a budget when trying to acquire games for ps+ right? We're paying, what, $4 and change a month per person, and they need to acquire 6 games as well as support infrastructure and turn a profit.

Think about that -- they need to spread $4 of your money across 6 games... while turning a profit. So expecting to get games that would currently cost you that $20-40 just to try seems a bit wild, right? I mean, $40 is almost the entire year's sub price!

Na not really considering that's what PS3 PS+ was full of. I assume the fact that this is $4 per month from the entire PS+ subscription base helps a tremendous amount, subscriber count was something like 11m at the start of the year so that's $44m a month. That's a lot of money to play around with.

Faenix1

December wasnt bad, but wtf is this shit?

And Origins isn't even the ultimate edition? Seriously wtf

'Balance' makes no sense.
They can't just wave a magic wand and 'balance' it.

Let's say you go out to eat 10 times. Usually it's cheap, but 1 out of those ten is a fancy expensive dinner. You can't just decide to 'balance' it and do 5 cheap meals and 5 expensive meals without completely destroying your budget.

Likewise, Sony can't just decide to randomly 'balance' smaller games and expensive AAA games. They have a budget, just like you do.

Then how did they manage to get AAA-class games on PS3 when they had to get 4? Adding 2 games shouldnt of made PS+ go from awesome selection to utter shit almost every month.

Never thought I'd say this...but damn this is a weak month.

For the first time, I have zero interest in any of these.

Good thing I have a huge back log.

Ikon

Not only is this a really bad month but it seems like the offerings are getting progressively worse as time passes.

_woLf

This is one of those months that has me a bit conflicted. The games aren't necessarily bad, but there is absolutely no value to the overall offering.

Zukuu

Banned
Wow, utter trash. Sad to say, but Grim Fandango has aged so badly, it's nigh unplayable. DA:O is the only decent thing here for those who haven't played it.

Does Hardware has a split-screen versus / co-op? That would be its only saving grace.

Top Bottom