• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita Found On Sony's E3 Site, Now Removed

iSimon

vita-coco-coconut-water.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
fadetoblack said:
Cue retail confusion in pronouncing the name. If its based on the Italian for "life" it should be pronounced "VEE-tah" but we'll get "vai-tah." It's going to take some intense branding effort on Sony's part to get people to say it right. Downright Nintendo Wii levels.
Oh wow I didn't think of either of those pronunciations. I was saying "vih-tuh" in my head.

The_Technomancer said:
Oh wow I didn't think of either of those pronunciations. I was saying "vih-tuh" in my head.

I never even considered people would pronounce it in different ways. I just thought "VEE-tah" straight away.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Sony Vita (with a Playstation logo on the box and the console) is better than Playstation Vita. It just doesn't roll off the tongue well.
GAF A60-Rim A said:
My suggestion: PlayWay
PlayWay's Big Adventure?

Paracelsus said:
Just call it NGP, without writing what it means on box or anywhere else. <.<

Tobor said:
Vita? That worse than Wii. No way.

Call it Playstation NGP and move along, Sony.

Quite sure they would like to avoid NGP...or else we will have endless teases of "No Game Portable" and we know how that sticks and grows (PS3 has no games still thrives...:()

Anyway, Vita sounds decent but I think PSP2 is just simpler. Their source didnt have info on the release date/regions?

Ezalc

TTP said:
Not at all. Latin/Italian v is v like in "victory".

Well my Latin teacher lied to me then, not that I ever cared about the class.

Either way Playstation Vita sounds bad. PSV sounds bad, and looks bad because it might be mistaken as Playstation 5. PSVita is the best out of the three, but that's not saying much.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SolidSnakex said:
I'll just continue calling it the PSP2.

It also makes more sense to look at the NGP as a PSP "2"

2 analog sticks
2 touch things
2 cameras
2 expensive

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
You know, PlayStation Go wouldn't have been a bad choice if they wanted to move away from PSP. If they hadn't already spoiled that.

Wasn't there a rumour that the codename for NGP was Vita or Veta at one point? Maybe there's a confusion with that. Or maybe Sony decided they liked the codename a lot...

Agent X

Krev said:
Sony Vita (with a Playstation logo on the box and the console) is better than Playstation Vita. It just doesn't roll off the tongue well.

I agree, "Sony Vita" sounds good. That said, they'll probably find some way of shoehorning the "PlayStation" name in there somewhere, but "PlayStation Vita" (or "PS Vita") doesn't sound as appealing.

Tobor

Dedication Through Light said:
Quite sure they would like to avoid NGP...or else we will have endless teases of "No Game Portable" and we know how that sticks and grows (PS3 has no games still thrives...:()

Anyway, Vita sounds decent but I think PSP2 is just simpler. Their source didnt have info on the release date/regions?
If they're worried about name teasing, "Vita" isn't the answer.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Ezalc said:
Well my Latin teacher lied to me then, not that I ever cared about the class.

Either way Playstation Vita sounds bad. PSV sounds bad, and looks bad because it might be mistaken as Playstation 5. PSVita is the best out of the three, but that's not saying much.

Well, English pron of Latin words is usually in English. Vice-versa for example, is pronounced v&#299;'s&#601; vûr's&#601; . Which is not the way Italians/Latins pronounce it.

So, in a way, your teacher was correct.

SykoTech

Not great, but not terrible. If true people will whine for a while, but then get use to it just like Kinect and Wii.

Tee hee, Wii.

Tobor

SykoTech said:
Not great, but not terrible. If true people will whine for a while, but then get use to it just like Kinect and Wii.

Tee hee, Wii.
Or it could suck forever, like Zune.

SykoTech said:

It's better than Kinect and Wii. At least it has something resembling proper etymology.

That said, it doesn't sound particularly cool to me. Needs more gravitas.

Linkified

I read the the name at first PS Vista - then it reminded me urghh how about just name it PSP2. I know why they don't want to have a '2' in there because some marketing analysts would say the the '2' looks weak against the '3' in 3DS, but come on Sony. You can do better!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
PSPS (PSP Second).

gofreak said:
You know, PlayStation Go wouldn't have been a bad choice if they wanted to move away from PSP. If they hadn't already spoiled that.
I agree. And after the PSP Go, they should probably stay away from that name now.

I think there's no chance they'll go with something that vague and fruity. Given the PlayStation nomenclature so far, PS Move, PS Portable, PS Store, PS Network, they're gonna keep it simple, direct and obvious. I think it will just be called PlayStation Touch (PST).

vall03

Andrefpvs said:
Damn, this. People searching for PSV are going to get shown a football club instead of a portable console!
lol
this is the first thing that came to my mind when I read the thread title, PSV Eindhoven

DMeisterJ said:
I'll be kind of disappointed if it's not NGP, it's kind of grown on me...
It was never going to be NGP just like PS2 wasn't NGPS.

Personally, I really doubt they would remove "Portable" so if its not the expected PSP2 I would expect PSP Something and not just PS Something. Super PSP, PS3P, PSP2, PSP Vita...whatever but keeping "Portable".

Top Bottom