• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alchemy

Exactly. Also, I found sniping really fun and easy using just gyro and back pads. Really well done.

I'm actually really excited and nervous at the same time about Sony's E3 conference. I need some Vita games announced but I'm worried they won't deliver :/. It honestly feels like they've given up with the lack of proper PSP and PS1 support. Prove me wrong, Sony!

The back pad zooming was rather frustrating for me, because my apparently monster sized mitts (I enjoyed the original Xbox controller...) kept accidently hitting them screwing with my zoom level. Gyro aiming is totally boss though, especially on a handheld where it doesn't blow up the illusion of 3D when slightly moving the screen...

I'm actually a little excited for Vita info after seeing what they're doing with Soul Sacrifice. If their strategy is what I think it is (steady stream of quality first party games aimed at core gamers while avoiding stretching thin to capture a casual audience) then we should see at least a couple of must owns at E3. I just hope they have their release schedule straightened out a bit.

Barryman

I'm surprised I haven't seen this posted before (it probably has, but I haven't seen it), but Uncharted aiming controls are broken. It's one of the few reasons I still haven't completed it to the end.
Moving the right analogue stick slowly towards a direction will (as intended) move the reticle faster and faster until you reach the max speed, which is the edge of the analogue stick. Now this is fine, however, if you want to do the opposite - move from max speed to stationary gradually then it's impossible. The controls are 'stuck' at max speed unless you let go of the sticks. This makes fine tuning your aim even more difficult. It's a damn good job I can use the gyro to adjust the aim slightly.
Hope this makes sense. Has there been any mention of this anywhere?

Other than that, another gripe would, of course, be lack of PS1 games and lack of certain PSP games - I want to play Phantasy Star Portable 2 again! :/. It's even more annoying, since those with PS3's can play on their Vita but I can't.

That sounds positively atrocious. I hope devs can figure out better dual-analog FPS setups for the Vita sticks.

I thought the demo was pretty darn good myself, but I would never buy the full version, unless it goes down to the price it should be (10-15 dollars).

Exactly. Why should we have to pay so much for it and Dungeon Hunter when the mobile versions (that look just as good in all honesty) are a fraction of the cost.

jonno394

The thing is, I played the Unit 13 demo and it controller brilliantly. It seems to be a problem for this game only.

Agreed, Unit 13 played exceptionally well in the demo, and it will be my next pick up.

I want to at least finish one of Escape Plan, Rayman or Uncharted before I buy another game, and I still have Fifa and Motorstorm as "pick up and play" games!

Chesskid1

Banned
metal gear solid HD is a must buy for the $30 deal ($40 + $10 GC) atm. i dunno why but $30 is pretty much the perfect price point for me, especially for portable games (even though "portable" games are like HD games now). what a fantastic price/deal. seems like most games coming are $40 now so the uncharted $50 was just a fluke or something cause it's a 1st party game?

seriously the next month+ we have 3 potentially great games coming + most likely PS1 support (has to be E3) + maybe LBP beta icing on the cake. getting better.

Koroviev

True, I've never got into any of the Persona games before, P4 will probably be the first, since I've heard nothing but good things about the series..

I'm hoping to get a Dragon Quest or Grandia style game outta Squenix.

If you don't have it already and aren't opposed to PSP games, then Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky supposedly fills this niche quite well.

So I just placed an order on this Vita Case (black/black) along with the suede jacket, it looks fantastic:

psvita-case-black-lg.jpg

psvita-suedejacket-pocket-lg.jpg

Here's the link: http://www.sfbags.com/products/ps-vita-cases/ps-vita-cases.php

Koroviev

metal gear solid HD is a must buy for the $30 deal ($40 + $10 GC) atm. i dunno why but $30 is pretty much the perfect price point for me, especially for portable games (even though "portable" games are like HD games now). what a fantastic price/deal. seems like most games coming are $40 now so the uncharted $50 was just a fluke or something cause it's a 1st party game?

seriously the next month+ we have 3 potentially great games coming + most likely PS1 support (has to be E3) + maybe LBP beta icing on the cake. getting better.

I don't know, I want to be excited about MGS, but the screenshots released thus far have failed to impress.

ss_lemonade

Why would screenshots be your way to judge the game? Especially Vita games? Try watching some gameplay
To me (from the games I've played), they're a pretty darn good representation of what the game will look like. Uncharted looked blurry as fuck and after playing the demo, the resolution hit sure is just as noticeable. Same is true with that golf game

ElNino

So I just placed an order on this Vita Case (black/black) along with the suede jacket, it looks fantastic:

psvita-case-black-lg.jpg

Here's the link: http://www.sfbags.com/products/ps-vita-cases/ps-vita-cases.php
I have that case (except with the brown leather) and it is very nice. The quality of the materials is very good. The only "issue" I have with it (and it's not a big one), is that the snap buttons on the front are pretty tight so I have to be careful when snapping them closed to not put too much pressure on the Vita iself. For the most part it's a non-issue for me because I don't need them closed very often, but it's worth mentioning.

I have that case (except with the brown leather) and it is very nice. The quality of the materials is very good. The only "issue" I have with it (and it's not a big one), is that the snap buttons on the front are pretty tight so I have to be careful when snapping them closed to not put too much pressure on the Vita iself. For the most part it's a non-issue for me because I don't need them closed very often, but it's worth mentioning.

Thanks for the heads up, I was actually concerned about this when those buttons were closed; while this might bother me initially, I'll probably soon realize it isn't doing any damage to my Vita, it just might take me a few months, lol. That or I would lock it in place.

danno1769

Neo Member
To me (from the games I've played), they're a pretty darn good representation of what the game will look like. Uncharted looked blurry as fuck and after playing the demo, the resolution hit sure is just as noticeable. Same is true with that golf game

Graphics are not a battle Im willing to fight if a game has great gameplay. If I was stunning graphics Im going to go with PS3 of PC games. This is a handheld mobile system remember.

Also usually screenshots are not great evidence of how much fun you will have with a game

Koroviev

Why would screenshots be your way to judge the game? Especially Vita games? Try watching some gameplay

Step 1 - Download the screenshots onto your Vita
Step 2 - View the screenshots on your Vita
Step 3 - Get hype

My issue is simply that everything looks very drab. Also, isn't the Vita version missing a game?

I am interested in the series though. What is the ratio of gameplay to cutscenes in the collection? Also, if I were to check out the series, would I be better served by the PS3 version? Can you buy the games in the collection separately, as is the case with the HD versions of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus?

Number45

My issue is simply that everything looks very drab. Also, isn't the Vita version missing a game?

I am interested in the series though. What is the ratio of gameplay to cutscenes in the collection? Also, if I were to check out the series, would I be better served by the PS3 version? Can you buy the games in the collection separately, as is the case with the HD versions of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus?
Peace Walker is missing, yes. Presumably because it's already available on the PSN (in some regions at least).

And I don't think you can buy them separately right now.

Koroviev

Anyone know if the touchscreen controls in the MGS collection are mandatory? I'm allergic to touchscreen gameplay. Also, is the collection likely to run at 60 FPS? Trying to decide whether to preorder the Vita version or get the console version instead. While I do prefer portable games, I'm always inclined to choose the "ideal" version of a multi-platform game.

Anyone know if the touchscreen controls in the MGS collection are mandatory? I'm allergic to touchscreen gameplay. Also, is the collection likely to run at 60 FPS? Trying to decide whether to preorder the Vita version or get the console version instead. While I do prefer portable games, I'm always inclined to choose the "ideal" version of a multi-platform game.

In that video that was posted earlier, the touch controls looked optional...except maybe the choking people for info.

Ran rp

Question about PS3/Vita transfers:

Can I download Japanese Vita demos with my Japanese account on my PS3 then transfer them to my Vita with my US account, without ever having to sign into my Japanese account on my Vita?

Probably soundly beaten, but just in case, DO NOT play Peace Walker before you play MGS3.

Yeah I just realized that PW takes place after 3. Guess I'll have to wait then. Or Remote Play MGS.

ReaperXL7

So I'm on my phone and I was looking through news articles and saw that target my have let a cat out of the bag alittle early. Apprently they have sony battle allstars listed for the vita. Can anyone confirm this? I'm having trouble with targets site on my phone for some reason.

Ran rp

So I'm on my phone and I was looking through news articles and saw that target my have let a cat out of the bag alittle early. Apprently they have sony battle allstars listed for the vita. Can anyone confirm this? I'm having trouble with targets site on my phone for some reason.

Holy shit! Target. I hope this isn't a mistake! And I also hope this isn't the big Vita game Patcher was talking about.

Koroviev

In that video that was posted earlier, the touch controls looked optional...except maybe the choking people for info.

If that's the case, then I guess I'll pick up the Vita version. Other than Peace Walker, is there anything that the Vita version might be missing? I don't mind ports, just not gimped ports :x

PSY・S;37874415 said:
Question about PS3/Vita transfers:

Can I download Japanese Vita demos with my Japanese account on my PS3 then transfer them to my Vita with my US account, without ever having to sign into my Japanese account on my Vita?

Been wondering this for a while, though my guess is no.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
If the game is good (which it's looking to be from journalist's impressions), and it supports save transferring between the Vita and PS3, I'd double dip on PBR in a heartbeat. The thought of being able to play some matches on the bus ride to work is just too awesome for me.

theBishop

Banned
Question about Unit 13. Is it good and what's the size of the game?

It's got great tactical shooter mechanics, strong social features, and fun (if limited) online coop.

Enemy AI is glaringly dumb, and there's no real story to speak of. Think of it as a a series of MW Spec Ops missions with the pacing of Rainbow6 Vegas and you're close.

The game is worth it right now as the only shooter of its kind on the platform. But don't be surprised if it looks poor by next year's standards.

GopherD

My baby died last night....*sob* I was reading GAF and it corrupted and froze. Went to hard reset, it goes to the ps logo and then shutdown. Everytime. Tried the 30 sec hold and nothing.

*sigh* I miss her already. The way I used to rub her back when she needed attention....I'd gently play with her shoulder buttons. She'd get turned on so easy before. Now she's so cold.... *sniff*

Don't judge me.....

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
My baby died last night....*sob* I was reading GAF and it corrupted and froze. Went to hard reset, it goes to the ps logo and then shutdown. Everytime. Tried the 30 sec hold and nothing.

*sigh* I miss her already. The way I used to rub her back when she needed attention....I'd gently play with her shoulder buttons. She'd get turned on so easy before. Now she's so cold.... *sniff*

Don't judge me.....

fuck. I really thought a baby died for a moment there.

Wait, how long have I been out of the loop. PS All Stars has is coming to Vita?

So awesome, perfect game for the Vita. I'll definitely be copping.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Me too. And then I thought "why the fuck is he posting this here!?"

It was in bad taste but then I am an old fuddy duddy.

GopherD, surely it's under warranty?

Yeah my heart actually skipped a beat too when I started reading, not sure it was a wise post tbh.

I really hope ALL Stars is doming to vita, wouldn't of really bought it on the PS3 but feel could suit the handheld better.

If that's the case, then I guess I'll pick up the Vita version. Other than Peace Walker, is there anything that the Vita version might be missing? I don't mind ports, just not gimped ports :x

vita is missing 2 triggers and pressure sensitive face buttons, so stuff will be different, but not necessary gimped.

Wait, how long have I been out of the loop. PS All Stars has is coming to Vita?

So awesome, perfect game for the Vita. I'll definitely be copping.

Not sure how a 4 player party game is perfect for vita... and I don't think it's announced just yet. Probably some gimped port in 2013 is my guess.

yencid

vita is missing 2 triggers and pressure sensitive face buttons, so stuff will be different, but not necessary gimped.

Not sure how a 4 player party game is perfect for vita... and I don't think it's announced just yet. Probably some gimped port in 2013 is my guess.

You can play it just fine over wifi/ad-hoc. Its pretty perfect for the vita i agree, specially if it has cross play between the console and the handheld.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Why would PBR Vita be gimped?

I can see the visuals being scaled in some capacity for performance, but the game so far doesn't seembto be beyond the Vita's capabilities, especially when games like wipEout 2048 is on the machine, looking and running as well as it is.

I don't see how being a 4 player party game would be a problem. If you are away from friends, then you use online, and chat with the mic. If you are with friends that actually have Vitas as well, you each get a screen, and can if there are more than 4 of you, you pass the Vita like you'd hand over the controller/arcade stick, tournament style.

You could also use the Vita version as a single player unlock version when you are away from home, and unlock crap on the go, then sync your saves with your PS3 for home play. I think PBR Vita is an excellent idea.

I don't get it. People complain that Vita lacks games, then when games are announced, they are either dismissed as somehow not being "portable friendly" or ports. I have no problems with ports, spin-offs, or original IPs, as long as the games are good, and coming to the Vita. There are already a significant amount of titles of each of the above already hitting this year, and E3 promises more. I'm a happy and optimistic Vita owner.

ReaperXL7

I sure hope PBR is not the "big unannounced game for Vita" Pachter was talking about.

But it could be fun I guess.

As much as I am looking forward to Battle Allstars, I somehow reallly doubt that Pachter gives a crap about it. I could be wrong, I just don't see it being something he would be excited for, from a supporting the Vita aspect, or a personal aspect.

Only a couple weeks though, so we will know soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom