• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

The dev systems already have video out and since it seems to be a pretty popular request it wouldn't surprise me if the next hardware revision comes with it.

I haven't use Media Go in years, but I remember it being more open than the Content Manager. Maybe my memory is a bit foggy.

I'd be pretty pissed if Sony make me rebuy a vita for this. A cradle or cable of some sorts please, heck phones can do 720p streaming to TVs now with an adapter (HTC One X).

When you say the dev systems have it, do they have another output on the console itself?

Considering the PSP got video output, I did question it being quite a shitty move to not put it in the Vita launch.

Just deleted Motorstorm RC. Couldn't stand the godawful physics, handling and controls. Now I'm going back to the real Vita racer: WipEout.

I'm loving MS: RC. I'm finding it controls perfectly with the dual analog.

Anyhow, Wipeout is no slouch. It's an amazing racer on the Vita.

ss_lemonade

Audίoboxer;36198189 said:
I'd be pretty pissed if Sony make me rebuy a vita for this. A cradle or cable of some sorts please, heck phones can do 720p streaming to TVs now with an adapter (HTC One X).

When you say the dev systems have it, do they have another output on the console itself?

Considering the PSP got video output, I did question it being quite a shitty move to not put it in the Vita launch.
I think dev vitas had an hdmi out. I wonder though if they just upscale the screen to the full res of your monitor, or just do it like how the PSP does it (in a small box, keeping aspect ratio) or something.

teiresias

I haven't been able to successfully back up my games. The process keeps failing at around the 50% mark. Known issue? Using about 15GB on a 32GB card. All games.

On a PC or a PS3? If it's a non-slim ps3, make sure in either the first or second Usb port from the left. If I was in any port but one of those the same thing happened to me.

Thankfully I don't use my Vita as a media device. Transferring twenty backgrounds was challenging enough.

Well it's not that terrible. I transferred a video or two to test, and that was easy enough. Of course, that's not to say it couldn't be easier! Where's my Vita DNLA client!

frequency

Well it's not that terrible. I transferred a video or two to test, and that was easy enough. Of course, that's not to say it couldn't be easier! Where's my Vita DNLA client!

As an "artist", I have thousands (at least) of reference pictures and my own
crappy
work on my PC. It is terrible if you have lots of things. My sorting options are "All" or "By Month". It is literally impossible for me to find specific things older than like two months.

But I guess I'm not the average user... which seems to happen a lot. Why am I never the "average user" for anything?

EDIT: Not exaggerated. My computer tells me I have 28,221 files in my images directory.

I posted this in the Vita RPG thread but it makes sense to ask here as well:

I played around four or five hours of Persona 1 in the last couple days and noticed that, when saving the game, the in-game 'hours played' clock is waaaaaay off. It says I've played a little over an hour. It's quite wrong.

Is this a common thing? Is playing this game on a Vita breaking the game's ability to accurately track time? Does this happen with any other games? It's not a big deal, but I'd like to be able to tell how much time I've sunk into it.

krpiper

So I was thinking of buying either FIFA or Virtua Tennis, but I am not knowledgeable about either sports but I would like to learn.

I have had some tennis game experience before (Top Spin) but little FIFA experience. Would you recommend FIFA for someone who knows little about soccer but would like to learn?

|ync

As an "artist", I have thousands (at least) of reference pictures and my own
crappy
work on my PC. It is terrible if you have lots of things. My sorting options are "All" or "By Month". It is literally impossible for me to find specific things older than like two months.

But I guess I'm not the average user... which seems to happen a lot. Why am I never the "average user" for anything?

EDIT: Not exaggerated. My computer tells me I have 28,221 files in my images directory.

Yeah, I had a problem copying backgrounds cause I had a ton of images in my directory too. My suggestion is to not point the content manager at your real image/music directories but instead have separate Vita Image/Vita Music directories on your computer, then put only what you want to copy to the vita in those directories. It makes getting something on the vita a two step process, but it's generally easier than browsing everything from the vita's side.

I posted this in the Vita RPG thread but it makes sense to ask here as well:

I played around four or five hours of Persona 1 in the last couple days and noticed that, when saving the game, the in-game 'hours played' clock is waaaaaay off. It says I've played a little over an hour. It's quite wrong.

Is this a common thing? Is playing this game on a Vita breaking the game's ability to accurately track time? Does this happen with any other games? It's not a big deal, but I'd like to be able to tell how much time I've sunk into it.

Nothing to do with the Vita. It did the same thing on my PSP as well. Basically, it logged all the time the game was asleep as "in-game" time.

Only way to stop it was to quit to the title screen before sleeping - which defeats the object of the function.

I think part of it was due to security but I think it's also a good indicator that Sony had to rush a bit. I really don't understand why anyone would want to select files using the actual device instead of the PC that it's connected to. Let's say you've got your main directory selected because you want to dump music onto the device. You have no search, hundreds of folders to scroll through, and that's after you have waited for everything to cache onto your Vita. Imagine selecting your my pictures directory....it really just doesn't make any sense.
No, this is entirely a security issue. Sony do not want anyone manipulating any Vita files outside of the Vita OS. They could easily have given us access to Vita's file system via USB - a junior programmer could have it up and running in a couple hours - but they don't want us to have it. It's not something we're likely to see in the near future, either...

Anyone jazzed for Sumioni tonight? I've heard it's gonna be $20, which is about $5 too much, but i'll keep paying this early adopter tax.

Video, if you don't know what it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJV6Ub688HA
Ya, I'm in... early adopter tax is it, but I don't mind too much... Vita's worth it! The game looks like it'll be a lot of fun; kind of a cross between Patapon, Okami and Shinobi (or something like that!) ;)

frequency

Yeah, I had a problem copying backgrounds cause I had a ton of images in my directory too. My suggestion is to not point the content manager at your real image/music directories but instead have separate Vita Image/Vita Music directories on your computer, then put only what you want to copy to the vita in those directories. It makes getting something on the vita a two step process, but it's generally easier than browsing everything from the vita's side.

Oh that's a great idea. I'll try to set something like that up the next time I need to put stuff on my Vita. Thank you.

kanugo

Still waiting for a price and a released date on the Sumioni. Well, at least is more cheap than the japanese version. Retail = 35€.

frequency

Escape Plan and Mutant Blobs were always PSN games. Sumioni is a full retail game in Japan and Asia regions. XSeed chose to release it digital only, but it's not a PSN game. It's a full release - much like Corpse Party.

I finally got my Vita case yesterday and it's HUGE.

W6mlJ.jpg

It's the Thrustmaster S.P.F and it is indeed huge. I bought it when it was around £15 in Amazon and the build quality kind of shows. Not saying it's a bad case but maybe a little polish wouldn't hurt. That said I'm happy with it, Vita stays in place well and most importantly you can store game cards in there.

Yay for keeping the Vita safe.

i bought one and i'm awaiting delivery ..can't wait to see if it's sturdy enough

see5harp

No, this is entirely a security issue. Sony do not want anyone manipulating any Vita files outside of the Vita OS. They could easily have given us access to Vita's file system via USB - a junior programmer could have it up and running in a couple hours - but they don't want us to have it. It's not something we're likely to see in the near future, either...

Did the Media Go software have anything to do with the PSP piracy issues? I understand why Sony would be hesistant to offer a super open thing for games and game saves, but for media files I don't see the big deal. I don't use my Vita for media either because of these issues.

patsu

Considering content manager is the worst transfer software for a major device out there, yes Media Go was more open. You can't even specify multiple folders for media with content manager.

Did the Media Go software have anything to do with the PSP piracy issues? I understand why Sony would be hesistant to offer a super open thing for games and game saves, but for media files I don't see the big deal. I don't use my Vita for media either because of these issues.

The Media Go software didn't really encourage piracy, but hackers were able to hack into consoles via standard USB ports. In addition, they can copy their warez into the console freely via the USB drive mechanism.

Vita's proprietary USB port probably introduces stricter I/O mechanisms (e.g., Not every program can copy files into Vita). The Vita Content Manager further checks with PSN to allow/reject executables entering the system. If this check is performed outside Vita, then it can be circumvented easily.

Yeah, this is the basic idea. It should not be difficult for Sony to fix Content Manager:

(1) Make Content Manager import multiple files and directories. Keep this pre-defined list in a config file like what they do now.

(2) Change MediaGo. Instead of copying the files and folders into a USB drive directly, make MediaGo write the full path of the target files and folders into CMA's config file. Then add a "Sync" or "Start" button to kick the CMA so that it reads the new paths and starts the copy process automatically. The Vita Content Manager will still carrying out the same security checks for files entering Vita.

In general, the concept of using Vita to browse and control file sync/download is not wrong. In the post-PC era, some of us may not sync files to PC/Mac anymore. We may sync them to a cloud or an iPad instead. We may also do it wirelessly instead of via USB. So Sony will still need to improve the Content Manager navigating, categorizing and searching mechanisms even if we can side-step it with the MediaGo change above.

Hope Sony continue to improve both the Content Manager and the CMA integration with native sync software (e.g., iTunes, MediaGo).

Hmm, for some reason none of my games are able to connect to PSN anymore (stays stuck in connecting to playstation network). The store works, internet connection test passes fine, browser works, near works etc. Anyone else with the same problem?

Yeah, this is happening to me since yesterday - did you ever figure it out? Or anyone else have any ideas?

I'm not seeing any error messages, but when games like Unit 13 and FIFA try and log me into PSN on start-up it just sits on the "connecting to Playstation Network" screen forever. I did the network test in the settings and there was no problem, the browser works, the PSN store works, but games suddenly won't connect for some reason.

patsu

I'm not seeing any error messages, but when games like Unit 13 and FIFA try and log me into PSN on start-up it just sits on the "connecting to Playstation Network" screen forever. I did the network test in the settings and there was no problem, the browser works, the PSN store works, but games suddenly won't connect for some reason.

Hmm... could be a client or server issue. Should call Sony helpdesk since they will have more reports to analyze this properly.

Hmm... could be a client or server issue. Should call Sony helpdesk since they will have more reports to analyze this properly.

I found someone on another forum who said restoring the Vita's settings should sort the problem out - so I tried it, it simply came up "could not restore settings", so I tried it again and the Vita crashed. I hard reset the Vita and now the problem's sorted itself. Strange.

see5harp

Anybody mess with the near features in Katamari? I'm just renting the game and got to a point where the "Buddy" stuff opened up. It boots up Near asks for you to update and I keep getting an error. Now when I go back there and hit near, it says that I can't update for another 54 minutes. I'm not sure I like the way this is implemented right now.

patsu

I found someone on another forum who said restoring the Vita's settings should sort the problem out - so I tried it, it simply came up "could not restore settings", so I tried it again and the Vita crashed. I hard reset the Vita and now the problem's sorted itself. Strange.

Probably due to corrupted and locked settings file(s). ^_^

see5harp

Okay now I'm just getting an error everytime Near tries to send location data. I remember other people saying they had that issue. Is there a fix?

patsu

My Near hasn't worked for a few weeks. I think you can resubmit your MAC address to Skyhook to fix it.

http://skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/submit_ap.php

I did that, but then my router died and had to change it so it got messed up because of that I think.
Quite a few people have their Near settings file corrupted. I think if you restore the filesystem, the problem would go away. But I would wait for the April patch first to see if it fixes the cause of these file corruption.

I don't think your SkyHook router confusion will cause Near to fail. It should just report the wrong location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom