• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyborg009

Banned
disk design of the OST releasing soon
20120319_gravity1.png
20120319_gravity2.png

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just deleted Motorstorm RC. Couldn't stand the godawful physics, handling and controls. Now I'm going back to the real Vita racer: WipEout.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Yah, again. Sorry guys, the post I made earlier about Warrior's lair was based on a vague post that one of my Idol Minds friends made on facebook. I extrapolated waaaay too much based on it and now feel stupid. I honestly don't know anything about the fate of the game.

The lesson: Don't get drunk and post shit you only guessed at on the interwebs.

Flame away.

lol

Grinchy

Banned
Yah, again. Sorry guys, the post I made earlier about Warrior's lair was based on a vague post that one of my Idol Minds friends made on facebook. I extrapolated waaaay too much based on it and now feel stupid. I honestly don't know anything about the fate of the game.

Flame away.

You are officially the first person who spoke out of turn on the internet while drunk.

I hope you can live with yourself! (/sarcasm)

Just deleted Motorstorm RC. Couldn't stand the godawful physics, handling and controls. Now I'm going back to the real Vita racer: WipEout.
I must admit I'm not enjoying it much either. I really liked Motorstorm on PS3 but RC just makes me rage. I have no trouble admitting I just suck at it, but I've thought about deleting the free game as well.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
You are officially the first person who spoke out of turn on the internet while drunk.

I hope you can live with yourself! (/sarcasm)

I must admit I'm not enjoying it much either. I really liked Motorstorm on PS3 but RC just makes me rage. I have no trouble admitting I just suck at it, but I've thought about deleting the free game as well.

I was pretty excited, thinking it would be like Reckless Racing for iOS, which is a fantastic top down racer.

I tried changing the button layout but pretty much all cars feel stiff and the handling is seriously horrible. The game isn't even good looking, and since I don't care about trophies that much, I just deleted it. Glad it was free.

teiresias

We all have to suck at something I suppose. I bought Dissidia during the sale and I'm about to delete it. The first real "boss fight" with Kuja kills me in like two hits and the game is so obtuse (or maybe just assumes you're experienced from the first game) that I have no idea how to get better or if it's just a matter of grinding this one accessible gateway for equipment.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
So...I looked in the FAQ and Noob questions thread, but couldn't find anything. Can I suspend a game, turn switch cartridges, start playing another game, then switch back, and return to the original game?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
We all have to suck at something I suppose. I bought Dissidia during the sale and I'm about to delete it. The first real "boss fight" with Kuja kills me in like two hits and the game is so obtuse (or maybe just assumes you're experienced from the first game) that I have no idea how to get better or if it's just a matter of grinding this one accessible gateway for equipment.

For dissidia, the trick to to keep their bravery low. The damage that an enemy does is always just the amount of bravery they have (plus possibly any bonuses), so if the enemy has low bravery, he does low damage.

For me, I tend to just perform bravery attacks in the beginning, boosting my bravery until it is higher than the enemy's hp. Then I will perform a single hp attack and kill the enemy.

Dodging the attacks using R+X, and countering with a bravery attack is the strategy I find most effective.

panty

I finally got my Vita case yesterday and it's HUGE.

W6mlJ.jpg

It's the Thrustmaster S.P.F and it is indeed huge. I bought it when it was around £15 in Amazon and the build quality kind of shows. Not saying it's a bad case but maybe a little polish wouldn't hurt. That said I'm happy with it, Vita stays in place well and most importantly you can store game cards in there.

Yay for keeping the Vita safe.

limaCAT

Banned
Near music is absolutely terrible, keeps me away from that app like the plague. There doesn't seem to be a way to disable it, same with the store music.... mute is all we get.

Another pet peeve I have are the triggers on this thing, I really don't like them :)

Can't you run them with a silent mp3 track as custom music? :D

Grinchy

Banned
I finally got my Vita case yesterday and it's HUGE.

W6mlJ.jpg

It's the Thrustmaster S.P.F and it is indeed huge. I bought it when it was around £15 in Amazon and the build quality kind of shows. Not saying it's a bad case but maybe a little polish wouldn't hurt. That said I'm happy with it, Vita stays in place well and most importantly you can store game cards in there.

Yay for keeping the Vita safe.

Every time I see that case, I think of a little person hitman putting his miniature sniper rifle away piece by piece after confirming his kill from the top of a hotel.

Whenever in doubt, dodging is your friend. Look for an opening (typically when he's finished an attack), rush towards him with R+Triangle (I think) and then whack him.

If you hit him with a HP attack, stay away from him until your bravery recovers. If he's able to decimate your bravery within a couple of hits, you may want to check your equipment.

Also, are you fighting him with full HP or not?

I had the same issue, except I was fighting him with next to no heatlh, so he was one-shotting me. I just redid the whole area and made sure to get to him with (mostly) intact health instead of facing him another 15 times. It worked, and he was much easier.

So VitaGAF, what is Hustle King's single-player mode like? Is it a progression of opponents or something, or just quick play?

whats the best type of cradle i can get for the vita?
I didn't know there were any other alternatives besides the official one by Sony. It seems pretty nice although it's a tad too expensive for me since it doesn't come with an additional power cable.
what? sonys media go is not compatible with the playstation vita? ridiiiiiculous.
You can use the Content Manager to transfer games and media. I'm pretty sure Sony want to restrict direct access to the file system.

I didn't know there were any other alternatives besides the official one by Sony. It seems pretty nice although it's a tad too expensive for me since it doesn't come with an additional power cable.

You can use the Content Manager to transfer games and media. I'm pretty sure Sony want to restrict direct access to the file system.

It really blows my mind that cradle doesn't provide TV out. I figured that feature would be standard after its brilliant addition with the Go, and the Vita even supports Bluetooth.

I do like the Content Manager with the way you do all the management from the device (could use sorting options though), but I don't quite understand what would be hard about letting us browse the store from the PC side like Media Go did. If you can risk having the files on your PC, haven't they already crossed the risk line?

patsu

Flame away.

Heh heh, are you alright or not ? Or do you need us to cheer you up ? ^_^

It really blows my mind that cradle doesn't provide TV out. I figured that feature would be standard after its brilliant addition with the Go, and the Vita even supports Bluetooth.

I do like the Content Manager with the way you do all the management from the device (could use sorting options though), but I don't quite understand what would be hard about letting us browse the store from the PC side like Media Go did. If you can risk having the files on your PC, haven't they already crossed the risk line?
The dev systems already have video out and since it seems to be a pretty popular request it wouldn't surprise me if the next hardware revision comes with it.

I haven't use Media Go in years, but I remember it being more open than the Content Manager. Maybe my memory is a bit foggy.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I think the Vita Silent Hill game with its top down view has potential to be like Warrior's Lair in that it will provide a great handheld experience. I wish Konami would get more info out and clarify its release date.

I was pretty excited, thinking it would be like Reckless Racing for iOS, which is a fantastic top down racer.

I tried changing the button layout but pretty much all cars feel stiff and the handling is seriously horrible. The game isn't even good looking, and since I don't care about trophies that much, I just deleted it. Glad it was free.

The most important thing to change if you're used to other top-down racers is not the button layout, but the camera (change it to Arial). The handling of the cars is awesome, best of any top-down racer to date. It's got amazing depth to it, and the interaction with the environment, other cars and surfaces is just fantastic. I guess that if you don't have any sense whatsoever about how the real world interacts but only know game-worlds, it could seem alien to you. ;)

And personally, I think that while the game could look better sure (maybe just being able to play with the contrast levels a little could help), but generally I think it looks pretty good. The only thing I could wish for personally was a smoother framerate - at times this can be a little bit on the low end.

I can see how this could not be someone's game, but if you liked top down racers at all, or even something like Gran Turismo, then it's hard for me to imagine not being able to like this game. I'm currently something like 100th in the world, which is nothing special (it's not that hard, just takes time to learn the tracks and cars and shave that time) but the game just hooks me, and I keep wanting to beat my friend's times (one of them is like 50th, and still 30 seconds or more away, I hate him).

Got the DLC too by the way. More challenging, but great fun.

I look forward to Warrior's Lair too, and Little Big Planet. I'm playing sooo much Vita. Just pulled the trigger on Rayman Origins too, I kept playing and showing the demo, but had held off buying it because I also have it on PS3. But I got that one for 40 euro off of PSN as well, and this one isn't full price either, so I decided what the heck and got it anyway.

It's just lovely on Vita. As a single player game, I actually prefer playing it on Vita.

Number45

The most important thing to change if you're used to other top-down racers is not the button layout, but the camera (change it to Arial).
Thanks for this. I'd messed around with the steering (I'd rather left be left etc.) but I still couldn't get to grips with controlling it - I'll mess with the camera later today.

Really want to like it (love Motorstorm), but it's not grabbing me so far.

krpiper

Thanks for this. I'd messed around with the steering (I'd rather left be left etc.) but I still couldn't get to grips with controlling it - I'll mess with the camera later today.

Really want to like it (love Motorstorm), but it's not grabbing me so far.
Remember from yje default steering left is left from the cars perspective

CAVE343

Yesterday while booting up wipeout, I found out my "naked" Vita got scratched. It's a hairline scratch (2,5 cm aprox) on the right side of the screen. Now when viewing bright/white content, like the wipeout loading screen, I see a rainbow colored scratch!

Will a screenprotector cover up the rainbow effect?

This is horrible because I was so confident that I could keep it scratch free and in pristine condition while going commando. I haven't even taken the Vita outside with me yet. Nothing happend, didn't drop it or something like that.

Only possible conclusion is that my cat scratched it on purpose because I forgot to clean his poopy box

I'm not really loving Motorstorm either. I mean, it's ok, but it would be one of the first to go if I started running short of storage space. I was kind of hoping it would be the next Rock N' Roll Racing for me, and it might have if they hadn't gone for that specific RC feel.

see5harp

The dev systems already have video out and since it seems to be a pretty popular request it wouldn't surprise me if the next hardware revision comes with it.

I haven't use Media Go in years, but I remember it being more open than the Content Manager. Maybe my memory is a bit foggy.

Considering content manager is the worst transfer software for a major device out there, yes Media Go was more open. You can't even specify multiple folders for media with content manager.

I had the same issue, except I was fighting him with next to no heatlh, so he was one-shotting me. I just redid the whole area and made sure to get to him with (mostly) intact health instead of facing him another 15 times. It worked, and he was much easier.

So VitaGAF, what is Hustle King's single-player mode like? Is it a progression of opponents or something, or just quick play?

Hustle kings has a full campaign mode with money and item rewards and various opponents. It incorporates different game types and some other non competitive challenges like trick shots.

antispin

I haven't been able to successfully back up my games. The process keeps failing at around the 50% mark. Known issue? Using about 15GB on a 32GB card. All games.

see5harp

That's the downside of locking down your platform. You'll only end up encouraging people to hack it.

I think part of it was due to security but I think it's also a good indicator that Sony had to rush a bit. I really don't understand why anyone would want to select files using the actual device instead of the PC that it's connected to. Let's say you've got your main directory selected because you want to dump music onto the device. You have no search, hundreds of folders to scroll through, and that's after you have waited for everything to cache onto your Vita. Imagine selecting your my pictures directory....it really just doesn't make any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom