• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VITA TV announced (~$100, Vita set top box - as in it has no screen - for TVs)

DieH@rd

Banned
I think the "instant-ness" and task switching capabilities of this device is going to be a selling point. It's something which I think was highlighted in that PC watch article.

I made a gif of what you can do on a Vita, quality sucks a bit but hey:

ibpXKVzpD73WSs.gif

With Remote Play you can actually do DOUBLE MULTITASKING! :D [both on Vita and PS4 simultaneously].

TBH I'm still amazed at Sony's decision to make Vita TV. Remember months ago when people questioning what could Sony do to turn the Vita around and nobody really had an answer? Sony had it all along. In fact, the decision to make Vita TV must have been made long ago considering it is ready for sale in November. Kaz is truly genius.

TBH I'm still amazed at Sony's decision to make Vita TV. Remember months ago when people questioning what could Sony do to turn the Vita around and nobody really had an answer? Sony had it all along. In fact, the decision to make Vita TV must have been made long ago considering it is ready for sale in November. Kaz is truly genius.
A lot of people said vitaphone, which imo is stupid. Thank god Kaz knows better

kartu

Banned
Well, not allowing to put games onto USB drive is understandable (DRM etc) but calling something a ".... TV" and not allowing to play media files from mass storage device... sense makes it not. (although I wouldn't expect Sony's device to support MKV and the likes, but at least industry standard formats must be supported)

Well, not allowing to put games onto USB drive is understandable (DRM etc) but calling something a ".... TV" and not allowing to play media files from mass storage device... sense makes it not. (although I wouldn't expect Sony's device to support MKV and the likes, but at least industry standard formats must be supported)

Does Apple TV do that?

You can't do that? Huh. It doesn't support DLNA either, right?

I happen to be one of those idiots. I'm gladly eating all the crow.

What they actually did is way better, way cheaper and literally adds so much more value to the entire Playstation family, regardless of how successful this product will be.

It's practically zero cost to them, and even at its worst, this thing will bolster the Vita install base by decent amounts. At its very best, it could very well propel Vita's install base close to that of the PSP and be a major player in the streaming box/micro-console space.

Based Kaz and House.

gkryhewy

Wait for the sales before crowning him a genius. Like the vita itself, this still has a decent chance to sell to every single GAF user but no one else on the face of the earth.

thelastword

Banned
ahh I missed the release date "nov 14 2013" that makes more sense.

still, I don't see a reason they couldn't bundle a DS4 with it, don't have to wait til PS4 releases, they'd have millions manufactured by then. Then you'd have a better controller with a touchpad and have an extra DS4 for when PS4 launches. I'm guessing it's more to do with price.
The DS4 is $60.00 on it's own, the vita.tv is $100.00, there's no way that a DS4 could be packed in and be beneficial to them financially.

Wait for the sales before crowning him a genius. Like the vita itself, this still has a decent chance to sell to every single GAF user but no one else on the face of the earth.

I don't really care about sale though. Just the fact that Kaz could pull this kind of strategy off is already impressive enough.

DieH@rd

Banned
Its a shame that Sony will not patch this Japanese version of Vita TV for PS4 remote play until PS4 comes out in Japan officially. At least I belive this will be the case.

Who ever manages to import Vita TV this year, they will not be able to take full advantage of its functions.

nampad

Its a shame that Sony will not patch this Japanese version of Vita TV for PS4 remote play until PS4 comes out in Japan officially. At least I belive this will be the case.

Who ever manages to import Vita TV this year, they will not be able to take full advantage of its functions.

Vita TV is just a Vita and they will patch the Vita handheld for remote play.

wapplew

It's practically zero cost to them, and even at its worst, this thing will bolster the Vita install base by decent amounts. At its very best, it could very well propel Vita's install base close to that of the PSP and be a major player in the streaming box/micro-console space.

Based Kaz and House.

Its not zero cost, they still need good amount of resource to patch Vita OS to make use of the big screen, upgrade some App, add some feature here and there.
If this thing does sell well, I hope Sony devote a good OS team just to develop Vita Os, and make it support as many device as possible.

Its not zero cost, they still need good amount of resource to patch Vita OS to make use of the big screen, upgrade some App, add some feature here and there.
If this thing does sell well, I hope Sony devote a good OS team just to develop Vita Os, and make it support as many device as possible.

Of course it's not zero cost, I was simply being metaphorical. There's still a lot of stuff like software cost, features, license agreements with media providers, the plastic mold for the body, and the cost for marketing this thing globally.

But when compared to all the other suggestions brought up to save the Vita ( moneyhat MH, make more Vita games, Vitaphone, etc ), the method they're doing now is probably the cheapest and best option that can be done to expand the Vita userbase in a short period of time.

is this worth importing? will menus be in english are psp games region free?

if so i will certainly import the first one i plan on getting

spwolf

Of course it's not zero cost, I was simply being metaphorical. There's still a lot of stuff like software cost, features, license agreements with media providers, the plastic mold for the body, and the cost for marketing this thing globally.

But when compared to all the other suggestions brought up to save the Vita ( moneyhat MH, make more Vita games, Vitaphone, etc ), the method they're doing now is probably the cheapest and best option that can be done to expand the Vita userbase in a short period of time.

not only that, but Sony has various media streamers already, how simple would it be to use this instead of them?

Lets look at Vita BOM:

Display and touchscreens: $50
Battery: $3.60
Cameras: $3.50
Wi-Fi/BT/GPS: $3.50
NAND: $6.00
SDRAM: $9.25
Processor: $16.00
BB+XCR: $16.25
Non-electronic: $11.00
Other: $30.00
Supporting materials: $10.00

Vita TV will probably be produced and sold above cost (maybe not too much), considering that this was from 2011 and that they will have retailer margins for this.

If Sony was smart, they would integrate this into their TVs.

Quasar

not only that, but Sony has various media streamers already, how simple would it be to use this instead of them?

If Sony was smart, they would integrate this into their TVs.

One problem seems to be lack of apps on vita as well as support from content people. If anything I imagine there will be more of a push for googlecast support in Sony TVs as that will see a big uptick once the sdk is done.

EMT0

Banned
Guys, I want this thing too, but there's no way it's not coming to the West within two to three months after the Japan release. Why import?

jwk94

So what is the likelihood of being able to take this to other places and successfully (without lag) play your PS4 via Remote Play on it?

spwolf

One problem seems to be lack of apps on vita as well as support from content people. If anything I imagine there will be more of a push for googlecast support in Sony TVs as that will see a big uptick once the sdk is done.

if Sony could build 40 apps for their TVs, they can do the same for Vita. It is just a question of putting in resources to do it.

Besides, idea is that Vita's SoC can do a lot better job at supporting everything they need, than a lot slower one that they use now for their Smart TVs or Google TV devices.

spwolf

So what is the likelihood of being able to take this to other places and successfully (without lag) play your PS4 via Remote Play on it?

if you have 4-5 Mbs uplink where your PS4 is stored, then reasonable... If you have 384Kbs-512Kbs, then none :)

vivftp

*holds out hope for Vita Phone in 2014*

No reason they can't do this AND Vita phone :) In fact this device should help bolster up the Vita ecosystem with new apps and games, which is exactly what a Vita phone would need to stand any sort of chance.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
With Remote Play you can actually do DOUBLE MULTITASKING! :D [both on Vita and PS4 simultaneously].

Stop dreaming so much. It's contagious. Can someone check and see if Remote Play is a "Big App" ? One that requires games and such to be shutdown? Like the internet browser used to be.

The GAF limit is 20,000 posts last time I checked.

I think once this is announced and dated in the West and the mainstream news outlets start talking about it we'll see even more interest on GAF.

Also, anyone interested in picking this up without a dualshock 3, there are aftermarket controllers from China available for around $15 shipped, and in various colors.

spwolf

Wouldn't that just be if you wanted the picture to be clear? Wouldn't you need a good ping for no lag?

thats minimum throughput, without that there would be lag... as to the ping, if you are going to friends house, your ping is not going to be large. Unless your friend is in another country or continent.

I think once this is announced and dated in the West and the mainstream news outlets start talking about it we'll see even more interest on GAF.

Also, anyone interested in picking this up without a dualshock 3, there are aftermarket controllers from China available for around $15 shipped, and in various colors.

Eh, the smart money is to wait for the ds4 version of this. Ds3 is amateur hour.

Baki

I happen to be one of those idiots. I'm gladly eating all the crow.

What they actually did is way better, way cheaper and literally adds so much more value to the entire Playstation family, regardless of how successful this product will be.

Based Kaz and House.

I'm still expecting a VITA phone. I think they can use VITA to corner the low end gaming market through micro consoles , smartphone and dedicated handheld.

jwk94

if you have 4-5 Mbs uplink where your PS4 is stored, then reasonable... If you have 384Kbs-512Kbs, then none :)
Then I should be good! Thanks!

Imagining doing the same thing with the vita on a big screen definitely gets me wet. Still waiting on confirmation about using the Vita as the controller along with Vita TV.

Sony confirmed that you can use the Vita as a remote control when you're watching movies through the Video application.

Just remembered. The Vita supports bluetooth doesnt it? Awww shit.....

Yep!

Sony confirmed that you can use the Vita as a remote control when you're watching movies through the Video application.

If they went out of there way to mention video but not gaming I'll take it as confirmation as dualshock only for gaming. Weird omission.

$h@d0w

Some more interviews coming out:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/11/47...caps-the-ps-vita-tv-and-why-the-ps4-is-coming

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20130912/302940/

This thing is tiny:

1.jpg

Also, pretty interesting:

SCE takes aim at Asian market

House: SCE will release the PS Vita TV in Japan Nov 14, 2013, and in other countries after that. The reason why it will be launched in Japan earlier than in other countries is that there is no leading company in Japan's video streaming market. The company is planning to sell the PS Vita TV in China, South Korea, etc, but not in the US and European market at this point.

In the Asian market, SCE has high hopes for the Chinese market. This is not limited to the PS Vita TV. This applies to all of SCE's products.

At this point, the Chinese government prohibits the sales of home-use game consoles, but we expects that the prohibition will be dropped.

So, if the sales of home-use game consoles is permitted in, for example, the free trade zone of Shanghai, it will create a big business opportunity. We have high expectations for that.

Top Bottom