• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita US Launch Details (Launch Games, Accessory Pricing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Isn't Unit13 a few weeks behind launch? Sure I've seen the first week of March mentioned.

It's still launch window, I mean, first week of March is only two weeks after launch here (22nd Feb). I don't want to spend too much on release week what with console + mem card + screen protector + carry case + games, it mounts up. I see a few people here are buying quite a few on launch day, or plan to. I'd rather just pick a couple and enjoy them then slowly look at the others as they get cheaper.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So any consensus on the best case for the Vita? My 3DS has a nice case that holds the charger and 6 games, would be nice to find one for the Vita that is similar.

Matchew

Sorry I haven't followed the Vita closely until recently. Will I be able to download all games that are on PSN on the Vita, I'm more talking about playstation classic over PSP games. Day one?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Finally got off the horn with a non incompetent Gamestop manager. Confirmed to me that I should still be able to pre-order next Thursday/Friday and that the info trickled down on the extra 250mb plan+PSN game voucher. Now it's just a matter of next week getting here so I can get my return back ><

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
There's very little reason to get the First Edition bundle over the 3G bundle. You overpay to get it a week early.
No kidding. The guy at Best Buy yesterday was trying to sway me into it. No way. I can wait a week. I'll end up getting a 3G Vita, an 8 GB card, a case I like a lot, a screen protector, and Hot Shots Golf for $350. I can wait a week.

I love the line up of launch titles over the next month or so from release although I am going to try and be strong and just stick with two titles, SCEA Launch Day Titles, Unit 13 and Shinobido 2. Wipeout comes free with our 3G bundle in NZ so that's a nice perk. Just hope Shinobido is good, haven't seen any reviews for it yet.

Unit 13 I will get regardless as I am keen to check out this 'aware' sort of functionality it has with all the leaderboard updates and daily challenges. I really hope it's as great as it sounds and gives us an insight to the possibilities.

In searching for games that take advantage of the hardware and new features Unit 13 also seemed to peak my interest.

Still trying to figure out which 2 launch titles to get.

You guys lucked out on Wipeout in your bundles! I wasn't too keen on the Little Deviants demo, but I still want to give it another go around

Eusis

I wonder if PS1 games will fully support the dual analog this time around. That's one of the big reasons I want a Vita for PS1 purposes, because then I get analog in FFVIII/IX and some games like Medal of Honor can be played properly. Pressing in sticks could be a problem, but I guess you could just press the corners of the screen to simulate that, or some part of the back touch pad.

LiquidMetal14

No kidding. The guy at Best Buy yesterday was trying to sway me into it. No way. I can wait a week. I'll end up getting a 3G Vita, an 8 GB card, a case I like a lot, a screen protector, and Hot Shots Golf for $350. I can wait a week.

Let's not mistake over paying when the value of the items included is basically just paying face value for the sum of the parts on that 1st edition anyways. And now you get the data plan and PSN game Voucher. I had no intentions of even getting another card on top of my 32GB one so the 4GB card is just a good music or small PSN game card to me. I am also getting release day delivery on Wipeout and HSG with hopefully the Hori Screen protector shipping before hand so I'm just ready to pop that on the second I open the Vita.

One thing GS didn't confirm to me was that they would even have any screen protectors, let alone the Hori one. I want to get it but have it day 1 when I get the unit but don't want to get my Vita in store at 10am and have to wait a while to do anything with it.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
There's very little reason to get the First Edition bundle over the 3G bundle. You overpay to get it a week early.

In a random bout of complete self honesty, I came up with the following reasons that I'll be getting the First Edition bundle:

1) This is the main reason .... I have no patience to wait for anything that I could be playing, even at a week early, and it's going to cost me. I just stopped caring ever since I justified it with myself. If I can over pay for my breakfast each morning on the way to work vs. making food myself, I can over pay for anything I want, and justify it in general, even if the logic is complete poo.

2) In about bout of self honesty, I realized just how many games, and game related items I have on a shelf that I won't be touching again. I haven't played them for months to a year, I won't be playing them again. This resulted in a bulk trade in for very low value adding up to about four full payed games, and a full paid memory card. I can now overpay in real cash for the FE bundle on Amazon. Fortunately, the blow is softened by the fact that in my state, Amazon.com does not charge tax, and I've already paid for shipping as a Prime member.

3) Shiny object, want, ...drool.

Yeah.. that about sums it all up.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
You guys lucked out on Wipeout in your bundles!

I suppose we did. There are no memory card bundles here, not even in our starter kits (Starter kit is missing the 4mb card and headphones but headphones come free with pre order) but since we have to buy a mem card anyway it kind of balances out the free game. Only downside is our cards are expensive and there is no 32gb available here. Our 16gb card are equivilent to $75USD. :(

wasn't really interested in vita but i'm liking what i see now. i have $120 or so of amazon credit so i'm thinking about getting it but i can't get a straight answer on the following:

1. is there going to be some type of transfer program for UMD's to PSVita?
2. will psone classics be available to play on psvita? what about ps2 classics?

Let's not mistake over paying when the value of the items included is basically just paying face value for the sum of the parts on that 1st edition anyways. And now you get the data plan and PSN game Voucher. I had no intentions of even getting another card on top of my 32GB one so the 4GB card is just a good music or small PSN game card to me.

No, you aren't paying face value in my opinion. You're paying more than you should. I really don't think that the case is worth $30. Do you? It's a $20 case at best.

Eusis

wasn't really interested in vita but i'm liking what i see now. i have $120 or so of amazon credit so i'm thinking about getting it but i can't get a straight answer on the following:

1. Doesn't look like it, but there could always be really good sales that render it a moot point since in Japan you had to pay anyway.
2. Not right away for PS1 games, though it is set to come unlike PS2 games where there's no plans.

Case wise I'm going to either stick with the big PDP one or the Hori hard case. Hori one's probably one of the more protective ones, while the PDP one is great for hauling around a ton of games (probably something to get when the system's been out awhile).

1. There are no plans for this anywhere outside Japan
2. Apparently PS ONE classics will be available at some point. No word on PS2 but I'd love to see it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Agh, I have the Wifi version pre-ordered at GameStop, but that 3G Amazon deal is pretty good. Someone break it down for me, is it worth the extra $50 if I was planning to get a bigger memory card eventually? $300 + $50 for one game is a lot though...

Agh, I have the Wifi version pre-ordered at GameStop, but that 3G Amazon deal is pretty good. Someone break it down for me, is it worth the extra $50 if I was planning to get a bigger memory card eventually? $300 + $50 for one game is a lot though...

It looks like a really good deal. I'd consider waiting the week if it was available in Canada.

Raine

It's not an Amazon deal. It's everywhere. Basically look at this way: If you plan on getting the Wifi version + 8GB card at the minimum, you're paying $280. Whether or not you think the $20 in between is worth it to upgrade is your choice. Just know the only thing you're getting right out the box is the 3G/WIFI Vita and the 8GB Memory Stick. This comes to down to:

1. If you see any use of 3G.
&#8226; If so, and you activate it, you also get a free PSN game worth $15 and a data pass of 250MB
2. If you plan on getting a card bigger than 8GB.

I would not upgrade if you plan on getting a card bigger than 8GB, especially if you don't plan on using the 3G.

anddo0

It's not an Amazon deal. It's everywhere. Basically look at this way: If you plan on getting the Wifi version + 8GB card at the minimum, you're paying $280. Whether or not you think the $20 in between is worth it to upgrade is your choice. Just know the only thing you're getting right out the box is the 3G/WIFI Vita and the 8GB Memory Stick. This comes to down to:

1. If you see any use of 3G.
&#8226; If so, and you activate it, you also get a free PSN game worth $15 and a data pass of 250MB
2. If you plan on getting a card bigger than 8GB.

I would not upgrade if you plan on getting a card bigger than 8GB, especially if you don't plan on using the 3G.

That's the way I see it.

IMHO. It's only worth it if you planned on Wifi and an 8GB card. It's an extra $20, and pretty much a no-brainer.

It comes with a free PSN game worth $10. But it sounds like you have to jump through hoops to claim it.

I'm still on the fence. I have the Wifi/32GB pre-ordered. I'm finding it very difficult to switch my over. Because I see no practical use for 3G. The only reason I'm still considering it is because of what it may be used for in the future.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

I remember reading in the sony issued statement that the new 3G/Wifi bundles are "Extremely Limited". I wonder how ... Extremely limited that would be

Mrbob

Yeah I'm staying Wifi/32GB combo.

Anyone else think the Feb 22 release for the non First edition will hold? I expect some stores to screw up and put all models on the floor which will lead to an early release for everything.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

This was what led me to pick the wi-fi. Nice that the 3G isn't much more expensive though for people who want it.

Raine

Anyone else think the Feb 22 release for the non First edition will hold? I expect some stores to screw up and put all models on the floor which will lead to an early release for everything.

Oh that'd be great :lol

But it probably wouldn't let you ring it up in the system :(

theBishop

Banned
That sucks about PS2 games, I was really hoping that would happen at some point.

I wouldn't be surprised to see upscaled ports like we've seen on PS3. Straight-up emulation is very unlikely for the vast majority of games. If they're clever Bluepoint (the company that does many HD ports) will work on a cross-platform version of the technology they've used for previous games. Taking PS2 games on the go with shared saves would be sweet as hell.

GQman2121

Banned
Since we're sharing. I've decided on:

WiFi model - $250
16 gig card - $60
Wipe Out - $35
Super Stardust - $10
Hustle Kings - $10

And I don't know about FIFA yet. I haven't tried it, so maybe the demo will sell me. I hope a few of the demos actually do that for me because the launch lineup has nothing that is really screaming at me. I can wait for price drops on Lumines, Rayman and Uncharted. I'm actually more looking forward to playing PSP, and eventually, PSX games on the go again.

I see some mom & pop stores selling everything early. Big box stores and EB will stick to Sony's plan.

Loonz

I've put my hands on one Vita trial-display today, in a nearby MediaMarkt. I don't know whether any of you is interested, as it seems this thread is not being fueled by opinions and more by price lists and so. But anyway, my personal impressions:

- The screen is something to behold. Gorgeous and huge. A thing of beauty. Superb contrast, superb sharpness, super deep blacks.

- The sticks felt a bit loose, compared to those on the DualShock 3. Also way looser than the circle pad of the 3DS. I don't say this as a problem, just a sensation. Some people will like it, others might not. They worked fine though.

- I only think I didn't really like is that the buttons (triangle, circle and the lot) have an strange and loose feel, not the precise touch of those from the DS3. They felt also like they were farther from each other than those on the DS3 (they're probably at a similar distance between them, but they're also smaller). The right stick is too close to the X button.

- The hardware seems robust and really well made. Not much bigger than the PSP at a glance, but I didn't have a PSP nearby to compare.

- All in all, the console reminds me of an ultramodern GBA. I really liked it, it's hard not to like it being a gamer.

Now, that's about the hardware itself. I tried 2 demos, Superstardust and Ridge Racer. Superstardust works exactly like the PS3 game itself, and looks almost the same if not the same. Fluid, sharp and beautiful to see in that screen. On the other hand RR was definitely smoother than the 3DS version (which I have), the graphics seemed closer to those on the PS3 (but not quite there, I'm talking about RR7 which I had), but in the end it's the same game and I'm fed up with that. The game didn't looked as sharp as Superstardust, I wonder why.

The exhibition console was full of content, BTW. I'll have to try it more times as I didn't get to see everything that was offered (there was a Gravity Rush demo and some others). The games I tried weren't bad but neither very exciting, to be honest. I didn't lose many time with the OS: as a curiosity, it has to be operated directly on the touch screen, there's no button input at all, and I tried.

And that's all. Hope anyone find this interesting. I was surprised to see the exhibitor of the console so soon, TBH.

So I'm getting the First Edition bundle (Canada), it's paid off and I can't wait.

But at first I was thinking "I'll just stick with Little Deviants, and d/l Escape Plan and Gravity Rush later, nothing else grabs me".

Now I'm looking at the launch tittles and I pretty much see 3-4 titles I absolutely want, and for a launch that's pretty incredible.

Uncharted, Wipeout 2048, Raymond Origins (!), Escape Plan, Army Corps of Hell.

I've been following Vita since it's been announced and it's just hit me that there are actually games I'm excited to try.

LiquidMetal14

Can anyone tell me where I can order a Hori Screen protector so I can get it before the 15th? Amazon says between the 21st of this month and the 14th of next. No way in hell I will not have a screen protector day 1.

So I'm getting the First Edition bundle (Canada), it's paid off and I can't wait.

But at first I was thinking "I'll just stick with Little Deviants, and d/l Escape Plan and Gravity Rush later, nothing else grabs me".

Now I'm looking at the launch tittles and I pretty much see 3-4 titles I absolutely want, and for a launch that's pretty incredible.

Uncharted, Wipeout 2048, Raymond Origins (!), Escape Plan, Army Corps of Hell.

I've been following Vita since it's been announced and it's just hit me that there are actually games I'm excited to try.

I think this is one of the best launch lineups I've ever seen.

I have:
Uncharted
Wipeout
HSG
Mahvel
BlazBlue

All preordered with my First Edition paid in full.

I'll probably pick up Stardust on day one as well.

Two weeks later I grab MLB: The Show 12 and the downloadable Doctor Who game soon after that.

I mentioned earlier that I bought a 3DS at launch. In the first 6 months I found five games I wanted to buy.

Can anyone tell me where I can order a Hori Screen protector so I can get it before the 15th? Amazon says between the 21st of this month and the 14th of next. No way in hell I will not have a screen protector day 1.

In response to this.. as well as for anyone in the know. I've trusted Hori screen protectors in the past, but is there any reason to opt for these over the Sony branded ones that should be available in store?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
In response to this.. as well as for anyone in the know. I've trusted Hori screen protectors in the past, but is there any reason to opt for these over the Sony branded ones that should be available in store?

Hori protector covers the whole face of the Vita and not just the screen, and it's a bit cheaper.

Eusis

Hori protector covers the whole face of the Vita and not just the screen, and it's a bit cheaper.
That may be a double edged sword admittedly since it'd also be that much harder to apply. Though if the application is like the 3DS it must not be THAT much harder.

LiquidMetal14

I know Mike or whatever his name is said that his would ship on the 7th to 14th. Mine doesn't say that so I want to buy it somewhere so I can get it before the 15th or on that day.

Oh wow.. that sounds much better for the constant microfiber scrubbing I'm sure I'll be doing to the Vita after every 15 minutes or so.

I think this is one of the best launch lineups I've ever seen.

I have:
Uncharted
Wipeout
HSG
Mahvel
BlazBlue

All preordered with my First Edition paid in full.

I'll probably pick up Stardust on day one as well.

Two weeks later I grab MLB: The Show 12 and the downloadable Doctor Who game soon after that.

I mentioned earlier that I bought a 3DS at launch. In the first 6 months I found five games I wanted to buy.

Absolutely, this is an impressive launch by all accounts as far as I'm concerned, odd it only just sunk in with me though.

And for your comments about the 3DS, I was in the exact same boat at launch. I had Pilotwings and SF4, and both were sufficient, but only now with eshop titles like Mutant Mudds and Ambassador titles do I feel that my 3DS is oozing with compelling software.

If Sony can keep up this sort of momentum on the software front, as well as all these pre-launch value bonuses like memory cards and data plans, they should hopefully have Vita in a great position in the future.

Alchemy

I would be extremely tempted to grab a WiFi version with a 64gb card if those existed just to try it as a digital only device. I can't really see 32gb being enough for that though. And did I mention I really freaking want HDMI out on this thing?

Cheska

I'm reaching the point where I'm overwhelmed with the Vita line up, this the first time there are too many launch games I want heh. I'm leaning towards Uncharted, Wipeout, Lumines, Katamari, Escape Plan and Super Star Dust, but then that's a lot games :/ Not to mention I'm getting Gravity Rush as soon as that comes out. Tell me I'm not the only one crazy enough to buy all these games :p

test_account

XP-39C²
Hey thank you. I spent a full Saturday on it, sitting around with an awful head cold, so I'm glad it looks good.
Yeah, it looks good :)

Nope, Gorilla Glass means you don't need to worry about a screen protector. I've been using iPhones for 5 years without a single scratch.

The Vita will obviously need one, since it's crappy plastic.
I've had my PSP for about a year now and there isnt any scratches on my screen. If threaten normally, i dont think that a screen protector is needed for Vita. I'm getting a screen protector anyway though, it doesnt hurt.

I'm with you, i want to know exact date and price.
In the official site it's only written "launch title"...
http://www.system3.com/index.jsp?i=1070&s=1111
I guess that it will be max $10, so i'll probably buy it =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom