• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLFC

Good luck. Mine was a wreck, air bubbles galore, and a few hairs managed to sneak their way under. Couldn't iron the bubbles out or recover the hairs, had to throw it in the bin. :(

Screen scratches here I come!
That's unlucky. Which protector did you get? Sounds like my experience with the first one I bought for my phone before I tried the PhoneDevil one - tons of air bubbles and the corner wouldn't stick down properly.

Aren't these averages though in areas with solid coverage? The biggest issue with 3G/4G gaming is that if you're moving (like on the bus), anytime you hit a weak area your lag is going to spike like made or you'll even drop from the game. Its an uneven experience that is difficult to explain to most consumers.

Music streaming services are a little better here because they can cache songs so you don't immediately lose service when your connection drops in and out, but for gaming that won't work. You're going to feel every single connection drop and it will be incredibly frustrating.

I don't think its really viable to market mobile multiplayer gaming with the caveat that you stand still in the middle of good coverage.

That is true, that's why I mentioned where you are in relation to the towers, but yeah I didn't think about how, just now, metropolitan areas are getting better 3G coverage so you won't drop it as much. You bring up a good point.

Latency? >_>

You know 3G is like the speed of dial up modems.

Latency is talked about in the post. Did you read it? And no, 3G is not as slow as dial up modems, at least not where I am at.

Durante

I'm hyped like I was for dream cast, lol.
Actually I had this nagging doubt in my mind for a week or so now. The last platform that launched with such a great line-up and that I was this hyped for was Dreamcast.

Also, Dreamcast and Vita are the only 2 gaming platforms to use a PowerVR GPU so far. Coincidence? You decide.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
81t4Zf3%2BTLL._AA1500_.jpg

Fuck son fuck.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
My Girl friend of ten years doesn't give a shit about games, yet she played the vita and said yes you can get one LOL. Gonna try and get one tomorrow.

Man I've had some little laughs at some of the guys here saying whether their wife/partner will let them get a Vita or not. If you earn money you're entitled to that money as long as bills and living expenses are all covered imo.

This is why I have a second account and direct transfer some in each pay day so I have my own little nest egg for splashing on shit.

This is probably why I am also single. ;)

raven777

Is there no sound when you get a trophy like in PS3? I heard from somewhere that there was the same sound, but I haven't heard it so far.

Pachimari

I were not excited at all for this PlayStation Vita and I honestly didn't want it at all if it wasn't for that offer I got, and I were not even hyped while charging it.

But I realize what a wonderful package it is and it probably can become one of my favorites. The whole interface looks like crap, until functionality and all the features made me see the light. Near to scan people around you (doesn't work here), integrated PlayStation Store, being able to write your PS3 friends, easy acces to Trophies and all these controls are majestic.

I'm literally a "don't care" guy > "favorite potential" at that moment when I used it.

damn you lockerz

ship my shit dagnabbit
Keep me updated on your order, I'm still awaiting their shipment as well.

wallbc01

Neo Member
well i finally took the plunge and ordered off of amazon. i kept debating whether or not i wanted it but said screw it. i was also looking to get a rewards credit card so i ended up getting the amazon card and got $50 off of the 3g version. now i can't decide what games i want to get. touch decisions!

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Man I've had some little laughs at some of the guys here saying whether their wife/partner will let them get a Vita or not. If you earn money you're entitled to that money as long as bills and living expenses are all covered imo.

This is why I have a second account and direct transfer some in each pay day so I have my own little nest egg for splashing on shit.

This is probably why I am also single. ;)

Tell me about it dude, I don't even understand why it's even a discussion. Maybe if theres a baby on the way (literally in the way and on the way) and bills need to be paid then that's another story.

Wozzer

That's unlucky. Which protector did you get? Sounds like my experience with the first one I bought for my phone before I tried the PhoneDevil one - tons of air bubbles and the corner wouldn't stick down properly.

Went for the Barrierchief one, managed to get the back on properly but the fiddly buttons / analogue sticks made the front one a nightmare. Not as easy to apply as ones that are screen only. I'd suggest being careful making use of a bit of tape to ensure it goes on evenly first time.

Hawk269

Just go buy one locally and return the one you get in the mail/post when it comes...

It is a Sony hardware item and most, if not all retailers for a item of this price scans the serial number as part of the sale. If he tries to return it, it wont match serial number wise and they will not refund it.

PaulLFC

Went for the Barrierchief one, managed to get the back on properly but the fiddly buttons / analogue sticks made the front one a nightmare. Not as easy to apply as ones that are screen only. I'd suggest being careful making use of a bit of tape to ensure it goes on evenly first time.
Okay thanks for the tip :) Crossing my fingers it applies right.

Durante

The problem with 3G for this stuff is not so much average latency (it's not really worse than dialup), it's the latency (and packet loss) spikes that happen when moving. I'd guess that's why Sony doesn't allow it for synchronous MP, since people would try to use it on the bus etc. and get really pissed off by lag spikes.

The greatest love of all is happening to meeeee

I'm hyped like I was for dream cast, lol.

The Dreamcast launch comparisons always bring up bad thoughts. lol

Launched great then nose dived. Hope the Vita corrects that. Though it looks like Sony has a great plan and looks to not have droughts like they did with the PSP.

VanWinkle

For anybody that has a Vita right now, do your analog sticks have a tiny bit of movement in them before it gets to the point where you can actually feel the resistance? I don't know if it's called dead zone or not, but on my Vita I can just slightly move the analog sticks around a very small area and they feel loose until it gets to a resistance point. It's hard to describe lol. I just want to make sure my analog sticks are normal.

darkwing

The problem with 3G for this stuff is not so much average latency (it's not really worse than dialup), it's the latency (and packet loss) spikes that happen when moving. I'd guess that's why Sony doesn't allow it for synchronous MP, since people would try to use it on the bus etc. and get really pissed off by lag spikes.

the other players on wifi would blame you too lol

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Vitagaf, anyone mind linking me to that video of the Japanese dude applying his hori screen protectors? I try looking for it but all I get is the official ones.

Reason I'm asking is because I bought the Japanese one and I want to get this right D:

lantus

Ping is an issue with 3G that's why it's not recommended to play games over it. Speed is perfectly fine (and in some cases faster than what some people have in their homes).

This. I'm also really curious to see whether using my phone as a 4G hotspot will rectify this.

All the more reason to stick your tongue deep in there

Oh... Oh god! :D

By the way, those wondering about 3G speed, here's my test:

0cyZ1.jpg

As you can see, it's incredibly fast (faster than average broadband user in North America) but that ping is unacceptable for games that require quick second reflexes like FPS. You can still play it with noticeable lag but frustration of losing is not worth it... :p

Played with one Yesterday at Best Buy. They had a demo unit with like 5 or 6 demos of all the big titles. I must say, WIPEOUT was ridiculous looking. The amount of detail in that game is amazing on a handheld. It really did WOW me.

My hype for the Vita wasn't very high (this is the first Playstation Device I haven't purchased on Launch Day) until I played Wipeout.

Now I am starting my hustling for a new Vita. If I can sell 10 things for $20 a piece on ebay, then I can buy one, lol.

Madden 12 is first, now what are the other 9 things to sell? hmmm, lol

HoTHiTTeR

Oh shit... Targets B2G1 includes Resistance Burning Skies! 5% off w/ RedCard and $5 off promo code found @ Dealcatcher = $76 for Uncharted, 2 copies of resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom