• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

Weird. Last week PlanetAxel withdrew money from my credit card but they have still not shipped the 32GB Memory Card. I were in touch with one from their team throu email but I have yet to get a respond. Isn't it normal to only withdraw the money the same or the day before a products ships?

Got my 4GB card from Amazon today (got it for free for buying a Vita). Man it is small. Wish the Vita used microSD but oh well. First company to backwards engineer the memory card and release a 32/64 GB card for $50/$100(ish) gets my money.
Since Sony won't license the card tech because they clearly have every intention of keeping this system locked down, these "grey market" cards would never be sold in game stores, won't have a warranty worth the paper it's written on, and Sony will probably make a point of trying to defeat/disable them in subsequent firmware updates... If that's worth $50 to you, well, good luck with that...

It is going to suck only having 4GB for so long, but those prices are insane, not paying $100 for 32GB (because when I buy a big card I'm going to buy a BIG card and just be done with it).

When PS1 games get working with the Vita you should be able to download just one disc at a time for multidisk games right? I'm too accustomed to building my own eboots with my disks and using CFW to know how the PSP handled things :(
uh... no... multidisk games (like Final Fantasy VII, VIII & IX, for instance) are one large file, just like you'd build them if you were building your own eboots recently...

As an aside, I see that the launch has generated more than 33,000 posts in the |OT| topics alone in only four weeks! That's gotta say something about this kit!

Weird. Last week PlanetAxel withdrew money from my credit card but they have still not shipped the 32GB Memory Card. I were in touch with one from their team throu email but I have yet to get a respond. Isn't it normal to only withdraw the money the same or the day before a products ships?
PlanetAxel state explicitly that they will withdraw money from your account immediately for products that are shipping soon.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So did you just recommend a game you haven't played? wtf

That's not useful at all.

Wait, you haven't played a RR? I'm not telling you that YOU should buy it . To quote you, "wtf"

Based on my own research and what I've read, it looks like the US launch should be cleaned up enough as the content will be given free and the frame rate seems to be stabilized. That's not so hard to understand is it? There are people who bought RR for 3DS and that was a worse port performance wise than what the Vita version is at now. As long as user get the pass for all the tracks and such then I'm fine. I'm not different than any other fan of an established franchise. I know what to expect and I like it.

The instruction of that 'easy' screen protector was piss poorly written. I didn't know what I was doing. Ended up applying just fine, but I still don't know what I did.

That's understandable.

I mean, I've probably applied 4-6 of these things over multiple devices in the past year or so, so I'm just used to it

First time though, yeah I was like wtf!?

LeleSocho

Banned
Finally got my 3 Vitas...
The console is exactly the opposite of my expectations, i thought that the console would be an huge brick with shitty buttons and d-pad like tradition from Sony but with fantastic analogs and good screen quality... well... it have a very thin and nice design with a fantastic d-pad (a decent d-pad on a sony console? BLOWNEST MIND OF EARTH), very good buttons with awful analogs that are way too tiny (at this point i prefer the slide pad of the 3ds) and a not so good display.
If it was launched with a memory card or had internal storage I wouldn't sell all of them... i'm still tempted of taking one of these three for me but at the moment it has no software of my interest and i can't do anything with it because i have no intention of buying a memory card...

theBishop

Banned
Finally got my 3 Vitas...
The console is exactly the opposite of my expectations, i thought that the console would be an huge brick with shitty buttons and d-pad like tradition from Sony but with fantastic analogs and good screen quality... well... it have a very thin and nice design with a fantastic d-pad (a decent d-pad on a sony console? BLOWNEST MIND OF EARTH), very good buttons with awful analogs that are way too tiny (at this point i prefer the slide pad of the 3ds) and a not so good display.
If it was launched with a memory card or had internal storage I wouldn't sell all of them... i'm still tempted of taking one of these three for me but at the moment it has no software of my interest and i can't do anything with it because i have no intention of buying a memory card...

lolwut.tiff

Raine

Anyone who thinks this screen isn't amazing only needs to play Rayman. And then tell me that it's not fucking ridiculous.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
For anyone considering a grip/accessory of some sort, I mentioned this one a while ago:

Quoted for size bitches said:
61nw-oJ4XSL._AA1500_.jpg

PDP Trigger Grip. It ran me less than $20 and has been amazing for long sessions. DJ Max Portable 3 has been much more manageable, Ys 7 feels like I'm playing with a PS controller, Katamari is easier to handle (since I have some palm brace-space)...The list goes on.

The only downside to them (like any grip accessory I imagine) is that it makes the system less "portable". My left trigger was a bit funky, but I opened it up and reset the trigger and it worked fine. I called Gamestop to ask what their policy was, and they said just bring it and they would have replaced it no questions asked, too.

That being said, it works like a charm and makes my gaming sessions SO good. Oh, and it makes me less weary about setting my Vita on the table. The case + grips add a buffer zone between the system and any surface, so I'm not as scared to ruin/scratch the back touch. The grip also does a good job of framing the back panel for games that use it (Katamari to stretch the Katamari as an example) so you don't mis-tap the dead zone above and below it.

Definitely the best accessory I've ever bought for a portable gaming device (not counting my iPad 2 slickwrap). Worth the monies for anyone considering grips for your Vita.

SmokyDave

Waitwaitwaitwait....

Are you honestly telling me that GT:pSP doesn't work on the Vita?

It's not showing on the store and it won't re-download from my download list. I think I'm going to puke.

theBishop

Banned
Sorry but OLED/SAMOLED sucks they have a lot of problems and the Vita one is not even as good as a SAMOLED in color quality/contrast but still have the same problems.

There's only about 4 or 5 other devices in the same ballpark. I work at a software company full of nerds with high-end smartphones. Even the guy with the Galaxy Nexus was duly impressed with Vita's screen. Who are you kidding here?

suikodan

About PSP games on the Vita, how can I check the manual for each game? I bought the 3rd Birthday and would like to read about it.

NHale

PlanetAxel state explicitly that they will withdraw money from your account immediately for products that are shipping soon.

They actually withdraw money immediately no matter when they are shipping. If you preorder a game 3 months before launch they are still going to charge your card as soon as you place your order.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sorry but OLED/SAMOLED sucks they have a lot of problems and the Vita one is not even as good as a SAMOLED in color quality/contrast but still have the same problems.
I cannot even begin to imagine how you came to that conclusion. What on earth are you using as your point of reference?

OLED absolutely wipes the floor with any and all LCDs, as far as I'm concerned. Superior contrast ratio (tens of hundreds of times better), better motion handling, richer colors, better viewing angles, and lower power consumption.

When you compare the OLED in Vita to something like the ultra low resolution LCD used in the 3DS it's truly like night and day. Even compared to a high-end IPS LCD, the OLED wins out across the board. LCDs still suffer from absolutely awful contrast simply due to their reliance on a back light.

So, again, what is it that you're using as a point of reference here? What would make you draw that crazy conclusion?

It's a shame because the presentation and actual structure of the games career/team challenge is great, but going through the same tracks + reverse turns into a chore real quick.
I don't mind this at all... I love memorizing tracks and replaying them incessantly to perfect my line and shave my time by a few 100ths of a second. Playing the original Ridge Racer on the the PSX was like a formative experience for me! Beating the Black Diablo was one of my really proud gaming moments, and I love that track in its three-fold variations and mirror to this day...

Any idea how? Does it need to be transferred from the PS3 or something?

As I said, it's not showing in the store and I can't re-download it on the Vita itself.
Can you re-download it from your download list to your PS3? Because a lot of PSP games need to be brought to your PS3 and transfered to your Vita that way... That's how I managed to get Peace Walker on my Vita. No problem tranfering the PSP saves through the PS3 either...

LeleSocho

Banned
There's only about 4 or 5 other devices in the same ballpark. I work at a software company full of nerds with high-end smartphones. Even the guy with the Galaxy Nexus was duly impressed with Vita's screen. Who are you kidding here?

4 or 5 devices? ehm... no.

Also you mention the galaxy nexus that is far from the best xOLED display.

kuroshiki

Sorry but OLED/SAMOLED sucks they have a lot of problems and the Vita one is not even as good as a SAMOLED in color quality/contrast but still have the same problems. It may looks nice now but more problems will show in the short terms of time.

lol

Trolling much?

The only downside of OLED is relatively short life span and pron to burn it more.

teiresias

For anyone considering a grip/accessory of some sort, I mentioned this one a while ago:

PDP Trigger Grip. It ran me less than $20 and has been amazing for long sessions. DJ Max Portable 3 has been much more manageable, Ys 7 feels like I'm playing with a PS controller, Katamari is easier to handle (since I have some palm brace-space)...The list goes on.

The only downside to them (like any grip accessory I imagine) is that it makes the system less "portable". My left trigger was a bit funky, but I opened it up and reset the trigger and it worked fine. I called Gamestop to ask what their policy was, and they said just bring it and they would have replaced it no questions asked, too.

That being said, it works like a charm and makes my gaming sessions SO good. Oh, and it makes me less weary about setting my Vita on the table. The case + grips add a buffer zone between the system and any surface, so I'm not as scared to ruin/scratch the back touch. The grip also does a good job of framing the back panel for games that use it (Katamari to stretch the Katamari as an example) so you don't mis-tap the dead zone above and below it.

Definitely the best accessory I've ever bought for a portable gaming device (not counting my iPad 2 slickwrap). Worth the monies for anyone considering grips for your Vita.
How easy (or difficult) is this to get on and off the unit, and do you risk damage to the unit if taking it on and off alot? I play a great deal at home, where this would be great, but throw it in a pouch and bag nearly every weekend when heading out of town, so I'd want to remove it then.

LiquidMetal14

Any idea how? Does it need to be transferred from the PS3 or something?

As I said, it's not showing in the store and I can't re-download it on the Vita itself.

Unfortunately, I'm going by what others have said and the compatibility list. I don't have it as I'm waiting for a sale but I definitely read several user noting that it works.

Then again, Ys 1&2 have worked for some but not for me so this may be the case as well. I was under the impression that GT worked for most though.

It should be noted that some only work via PS3 transfer at this time. I'm sure they will correct that at some point.

LeleSocho

Banned
So, again, what is it that you're using as a point of reference here? What would make you draw that crazy conclusion?

Yeah they surely have better image quality than LCD but they have problems like image retention, discoloration etc. which are deal breaker... at least to me.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
How easy (or difficult) is this to get on and off the unit, and do you risk damage to the unit if taking it on and off alot? I play a great deal at home, where this would be great, but throw it in a pouch and bag nearly every weekend when heading out of town, so I'd want to remove it then.

It's incredibly easy - I've taken mine on and off a few times with zero problem and zero risk of harming my Vita. I mean, it's easier (and takes less time) to get the grips on and off than it is to put a silicon case on an iPhone if that gives any scale.

CzarTim

Does anyone know how long the buy 2 get 1 game free promotion will last? And if it's ending before the 6th, can I pre-order MLB The Show using the promotion?

Foffy

Banned
Mine just came in from Amazon. I think the deal I ordered the system with was supposed to come with a 4 GB card, but alas it did not. I can only assume the deal they had ran out of supplies. Should I stick with a 4 GB or an 8 GB card?

Also, are the Vita boxes supposed to be missing instruction manuals? Uncharted is so...empty, and Army Corps of Hell only has a Square-Enix Members voucher. Why are the boxes so big if there's fucking nothing in them to cover that size?

LiquidMetal14

Yeah they surely have better image quality than LCD but they have problems like image retention, discoloration etc. which are deal breaker... at least to me.

I've not seen 1 Vita with these issues you bring up. Why are you so confident in your stance again?

Mine just came in from Amazon. I think the deal I ordered the system with was supposed to come with a 4 GB card, but alas it did not. I can only assume the deal they had ran out of supplies. Should I stick with a 4 GB or an 8 GB card?

Also, are the Vita boxes supposed to be missing instruction manuals? Uncharted is so...empty, and Army Corps of Hell only has a Square-Enix Members voucher. Why are the boxes so big if there's fucking nothing in them to cover that size?

Email Amazon. They will send you something extra or you'll get some coupons. They're awesome like that.

Oh and manuals are in going digital. They're in the cartridge and you should see it in the launch screen.

Ken

4 GB is enough for saves but you'll find yourself needing a bigger card immediately if you start downloading things. 8 GB should suffice if you do very little downloading of games, but a 16 GB or 32 GB is safer if you plan to do a lot of downloading.

And yeah, most cases are empty with just the cartridge. Only game I got so far with paper material inside e case was Gravity Daze, but it's just a one page reference guide and an advertisement...at least it's in color.

LiquidMetal14

Some problem came with time (month/s) some are already there like black spots, never saw sony's 11inch OLED tv?

I've seen and know the issues with OLED. That's not my point. Others have noted this better than I so you can continue to ignore their points. I'm merely adding to their points without putting the technical merit behind it.

Ken

Some problem came with time (month/s) some are already there like black spots, never saw sony's 11inch OLED tv?

Yes because it can be better than the devices showed in the article but it's still worse than the Note, S2 and Tab 7.7.
So if you knew about the problems inherent in the display technology, why would you still buy 3 Vitas for others? Surely a good and well-informed individual such as yourself would not allow others to be fooled into getting a device with such an abysmal screen.

Foffy

Banned
Email Amazon. They will send you something extra or you'll get some coupons. They're awesome like that.

Oh and manuals are in going digital. They're in the cartridge and you should see it in the launch screen.

Do you know where exactly I can email them? Looking at the mailing options, as well as printed receipt it lists the system, games, but NOT the 4GB card. So perhaps they have no history of it being something that should have come with it?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
No, touch my katamari is nowhere near as bad as he is making i out to be and a much better game than "Me and my katamari"

Seriously, if you go in any katamari game looking for a 10 hiur campaign, you're missing the point. I can get through the first game in about an hour. That isn't the point.

Touch My Katamari is really really good. There's no more that really needs to be said - if you enjoy Katamari games, it's worth grabbing.

theBishop

Banned

Yes because it can be better than the devices showed in the article but it's still worse than the Note, S2 and Tab 7.7.

It's also worse than this:

LG-OLED-TV-and-LG-BH9420PW-3D-Home-Theater-600x397.jpg

Step it up Sony. We're not going to take your so-so screens any longer.

Ken

Do you know where exactly I can email them? Looking at the mailing options, as well as printed receipt it lists the system, games, but NOT the 4GB card. So perhaps they have no history of it being something that should have come with it?
Ask them if you can get in on the $19.99 credit deal for buying a Vita at launch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom