• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VR has the strongest games lineup according to GameStop CEO

Lol, GameStop is irrelevant to PC and outside of software, peripherals is how they make their money (they get very high margins on them). I don't doubt what they say though. Sony> Oculus and valve when it comes game output.

bj00rn_

Banned
He did say strongest count, not strongest line up. Basically, he said Sony has the most games. Not the best.

It doesn't even work like that. There's no plausible way for PSVR to reach the library count of PCVR (just take a look at the present library of DK2 compatible software, a device sold to a few enthusiasts..). So what he most likely is having in his mind is a specific scenario (and perhaps an agenda to try to steer focus to his sales target market concerning high profile "AAA" traditional gaming -like titles including Sony exclusives in this area. It's not exactly coincidental that he's going to another Sony meeting.

viHuGi

Banned
Well no shit Sherlock, PS VR will obviously win in sales and better games in the first years mainly because price point and Sony strong 1st party support and better dev support because better sales, cheaper.

Who the hell is going to push VR games on Pc when only 13m devices will be able to run those? (At least according to Nvidia).

haha VR sales will be fun to watch in the next year, who ever thought 700e on EU was a good idea will be depply regretting it, just watch and learn that sometimes marketshare is more important than profit, especially in this industry.

Yes, there was never a broken game or bad game on Playstation. Never.
For PSVR, every game is quite likely to be a number of people's first impression of VR, so ensuring people have a good experience is extremely important. I would imagine games with inconsistent frame rates or other things that cause too much nausea will be rejected.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I dare say the vast majority of anything VR that seeks a commercial return will be - eventually, even if not first - be on PSVR, and in fairness, 'commercial content' is likely the only content GameStop's CEO will care about.

There'll be loads of other stuff that I'd probably put under the 'non-commercial' category available on the PC sets (small experiments, academic stuff, prototypes, mods, non-game software) but how much of it would be sold at Gamestop even if the PC sets had a retail strategy is questionable.

Durante

Now, this might be true or not.

But one thing I want to remark is that the only content GameStop is interested in is content you can buy physically.

And yeah, no shit, that will predominantly (or even exclusively!) be on PSVR.

Now, this might be true or not.

But one thing I want to remark is that the only content GameStop is interested in is content you can buy physically.

And yeah, no shit, that will predominantly (or even exclusively!) be on PSVR.
As long as they can sell point cards for the Oculus store there (as you can Steam cards), I am sure they will be happy either way. My guess is that most PSVR titles will be download only anyway.

Of course it does. PS VR is the only one backed by a strong publisher/developer.

Oculus has Facebook dollars, but no known in-house development team.

Valve hasn't developed anything original in years.

They want lots of used stuff on their wall and PC doesn't give them that.

GameStop obviously knows their current model has a limited shelf life at this point. I wonder what their plans are to deal with the inevitable.

Kyougar

I dont see how Sony in any form can have more VR Games than the current linup of available and announced VR Games on PC.

I mean we are talking about sony here. This is like the time when some where saying that the Vita will mop the floor with the 3DS because of Sonys great lineup of First Party Studios.

If PSVR doesnt sell gangbusters for them, they will drop it like a Vita.

I dont see how Sony in any form can have more VR Games than the current linup of available and announced VR Games on PC.

Yeah. The only way I can see someone arriving at GameStop's conclusion is if they only include boxed copies of games that are to be released. Both Oculus and Valve have their own dedicated stores selling downloadable games, so sure, in a physical store there might be more VR games for Playstation than other platforms.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

I mean we are talking about sony here. This is like the time when some where saying that the Vita will mop the floor with the 3DS because of Sonys great lineup of First Party Studios.

Gamestop only look at the games they can sell in their shops.

bj00rn_

Banned

They can't. We're talking about a confined Gamestop defined target market here, and in that sense it's plausible that they might be correct.

Elandyll

Banned

Making myself the "devil's advocate" here, and on the other side of the coin, Sony is also its own advocate/ Publisher and has access to multiple internal game studios and thriving relations with small indie game studios to produce content for PSVR, whereas if the market isn't there or ends up too fractured on PC with competing headsets that have incompatible features, then the PSVR library might grow much faster and with bigger titles than other options on PC.

We'll see though, with a bit of luck the pc market won't fracture, exclusives will be limited, and both platforms (PC/ PS4) can actually help grow each other by feeding the market and showing how great VR can be.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
To flip this around a little, will VR not need a good retail presence to increase its chances at wider market success? It's good if Sony has this reach already, but the others should be working toward that too, at least once they reach more affordable pricing...no?

Of course they should. If they don't, Sony will steal the mindshare just by being present in retail shops.

gmoran

As crazy as it sounds, resolution and framerate are very important for VR(framerate especially). As it is FOV, too. It can't be "close to 970" level, because it simply isn't. If someone makes a PC headset with the PSVR specs, a 970 won't be needed for it. If you actually read the post you linked to, you will notice the exact caveats I already talked about.

Hhhmm, not sure, the picture is far more complex than you describe.

To start with, as a HMD, PSVR is very good in comparison to both OR and Vive, they are all high end and the differences are fairly minor for the end user experience.

All three companies have cut their suit to fit their cloth, so you can't say "If someone makes a PC headset with the PSVR specs, a 970 won't be needed for it." because of how the PS4 drives that HMD throiugh the external box and because the architecture/software/hardware environment of the PS4 is so different

Because of Sony's engineering approach the PS4 can generate "equivalent quality" images using a quarter of the fill-rate of OR or Vive (notice the speech marks), approx 100 million pixels at 60 FPS

PSVR Specs:

5.7-inch OLED display
1080p resolution, RGB 6220800 subpixels
120Hz refresh rate
low latency under 18ms.
positional tracking with 9 LEDs
360 degree head-tracking
3D audio
100-degree field of view
High-quality optics (not using fresnel lenses)
Extenal processor handling second screen, optical projection and asynchronous time-warp
Hidden Area Mesh rendering reduces render target size by approx 20%

DavidDesu

Yes, there was never a broken game or bad game on Playstation. Never.

If you mean having to go into some config file and altering some lines of code so it will launch on your VR device of choice or whatever, then no PlayStation has never had a broken game. I saw in the Oculs Rift price announcement thread the latest posts are people comparing specs and lamenting the fact they need to upgrade and get a USB 3.0 expansion card for their system, worrying that their powerful system still fails the system analyser test and they don't know why etc... PC gaming hasn't changed all that much.

I'm just saying you can't really laud all the extra stuff people are mucking around with on Oculus. For the dedicated tinkerer fine but for the average consumer they'll never get into those experiences so might as well exclude them.

Frankly as it stands PSVR does have a broader and higher quality range of real gaming software coming to the device. Even just Rigs on it's own seems to be head and shoulders above 90% of the other stuff coming to any VR headset in terms of a fully featured fully functioning non gimick of a game.

All signs point to PSVR still being a good, presence inducing VR headset. The fact the higher price of entry PCVR is of a higher quality isn't rocket science. But PSVR will do the job nicely for the average consumer. If you want top of the range VR then shell out for it. If you want a gateway into affordable VR PSVR will do absolutely fine.

Durante

so you can't say "If someone makes a PC headset with the PSVR specs, a 970 won't be needed for it."
Actually you can say exactly that. (Well, at least as much as a 970 is "needed" for a RIft. Both make very little sense)

Hey look, I found a presentation mentioning that technique from early 2015. (For those who don't get it, what I say is that it is equally applicable to all HMDs)

MUnited83

For you.
Hhhmm, not sure, the picture is far more complex than you describe.

To start with, as a HMD, PSVR is very good in comparison to both OR and Vive, they are all high end and the differences are fairly minor for the end user experience.

All three companies have cut their suit to fit their cloth, so you can't say "If someone makes a PC headset with the PSVR specs, a 970 won't be needed for it." because of how the PS4 drives that HMD throiugh the external box and because the architecture/software/hardware environment of the PS4 is so different

Because of Sony's engineering approach the PS4 can generate "equivalent quality" images using a quarter of the fill-rate of OR or Vive (notice the speech marks), approx 100 million pixels at 60 FPS

PSVR Specs:

5.7-inch OLED display
1080p resolution, RGB 6220800 subpixels
120Hz refresh rate
low latency under 18ms.
positional tracking with 9 LEDs
360 degree head-tracking
3D audio
100-degree field of view
High-quality optics (not using fresnel lenses)
Extenal processor handling second screen, optical projection and asynchronous time-warp

Oh man I do love when people copy paste things when they have no clue what they are actually talking about lol
Actually you can say exactly that. (Well, at least as much as a 970 is "needed" for a RIft. Both make very little sense)
Yep, exactly! As crazy as it sounds, games can have different requirements, which means you can absolutely play some VR games on the Rift even with a 5 year old rig.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Mushroomer25 said:
Rather, it's more small-scale games like Robot Golf, Rez VR, and other sub-$20 stuff.
To be fair - none of the actual VR software announced pricing structure yet - just like preconceived notions of "converting" 2d games to VR were pretty fundamentally flawed, there's a chance VR platform holders will not adhere to pricing strategies of existing platforms either.
Even failed formats like Stereo 3D still carry their own tax compared to 2D content, with a platform that will fundamentally be targeting a particularly narrow userbase for first year(s) I'd not be surprised if it sets its own rules for pricing.

Durante said:
(For those who don't get it, what I say is that it is equally applicable to all HMDs)
Well there's a few bits in there that are particular to running HMDs on Windows PCs as opposed to anywhere else. And I simply don't agree with their resolution commentary, but that's a separate topic.

Most titles doesn't necessarily equal to strongest lineup, though.

Edit:

The original quote was "have the strongest title count.", not "have the strongest lineup".

Having the strongest lineup is an opinion and cannot be substantiated, whereas having the strongest title count is a fact. So I have no issue with the statement.

Ps4 is a beast of a console!
Strongly disagree. This generation of consoles is the weakest in history relative to PC hardware at time of release. It's understandable considering they didn't want to take a bath like they did with the ps3, but saying it's a beast is simply not true, especially if comparing to high end pcs.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Strongly disagree. This generation of consoles is the weakest in history relative to PC hardware at time of release. It's understandable considering they didn't want to take a bath like they did with the ps3, but saying it's a beast is simply not true, especially if comparing to high end pcs.

Is it because with PC tech you can spend WAY more money now on your system to beef it up, compared to years ago?

PC is a beast of a console!

Elandyll

Banned
Nobody is comparing a PS4 to a high end PC, the same way you do not compare a $15k car to a $200k car.
Is the PS4 a "beast" in absolute terms? Obviously not.

Is it a "beast" for a $299 product (price at which it was recently widely available, new) that includes a physical BR drive, wifi & bluetooth adapters, OS and a game controller?
Yes, probably, depending on what a beast may be.

All that box does is take the already-completely-rendered VR image from the PS4, and turn it into something that looks good on TV. That and do some audio processing and power the headset. It's not like it's something that increases processing power of the PS4. I'm not sure what you mean by "equivalent quality", we know the PS4 is quite a bit less powerful than the minimum PC system required by Oculus, and the PSVR screen is lower resolution (not by a huge amount, though).

jaypah

Considering they made zero money when I bought Dirt Rally to play in VR I can see why they would say this. Not saying that Sony wouldn't have a great line-up but there are a lot of PC games running legit VR right now and way more planned for 2016. I don't see how anyone could make a call one way or the other right now.

AKA please don't buy your games on Steam?

I don't think the Rift and Vive will be available in retail stores, let alone Gamestop?

Definitely a beast price/performance ratio wise. For VR on PC the GPU alone cost as much as a PS4. For the price of the Oculus which can cost more than 900 euro in EU, you can likely get a PS4, a PSVR and a bunch of launch games.

Exile20

AKA please don't buy your games on Steam?

This was what I was thinking.
I don't think the Rift and Vive will be available in retail stores, let alone Gamestop?

Definitely a beast price/performance ratio wise. For VR on PC the GPU alone cost as much as a PS4. For the price of the Oculus which can cost more than 900 euro in EU, you can likely get a PS4, a PSVR and a bunch of launch games.

GS makes a lot of money from games, especially second hand games.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Doubtful, but I hope Alien Isolation gets support eventually. Been sitting on that game for a year now after reading the enthusiastic reports from Rift Dev kit owners talking up how great that game is in VR on PC. Crossing my fingers that I can one day experience blind with a headset.

Steel

Banned
"Please buy the product that still has a physical storefront for games" Is what I'm hearing here. I suppose there's an argument to be made on the subject here, but with all the VR moddable titles on PC added to the pile....

And there's OSVR which is $300(cheaper than PSVR will likely cost) which runs on mid-tier PCs and is modular for future upgrades.

I don't follow OR news so I don't know the big games for it, but normally I'd hear about really big titles through forums like NeoGaf.

I've not heard of any really big mass market games for OR, but I do know Gran Turismo Sport, Ace Combat and that cheeky DOAX game is coming to PSVR.

Can anyone fill me in, or is there no dedicated new big VR games so far in the pipe line for OR that we know about? Or is it just patching up old games.

Top Bottom